REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #126
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
FCK...my power bill is through the roof now...with AC on 24/7 to cool down such a huge house.

normally every 2 months - around $170.

went online and saw that it is estimating around $440 next billing period...

die in a pool of sweltering sweat and heat OR stay cool and live to pay bills?
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #127
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
$440 - $170 = $270
24 hrs/day x 60 days = 1440 hrs

$270/1440hrs = $0.1875/hr

That's not too bad a price to stay sane.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #128
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Considering people paying for hotel room locally (me included), $440 is nothing.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #129
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Considering people paying for hotel room locally (me included), $440 is nothing.
Yup, a good trade off. I’m now estimated at $577.00. I’m at tier one. I know it’s going to drop once the heatwave is done. Step 2 pricing is estimated to begin July 12th. Yesterday alone cost $9.00. It is what it is.

https://imgur.com/a/VZ67TZp
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 06-28-2021 at 08:36 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #130
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
FCK...my power bill is through the roof now...with AC on 24/7 to cool down such a huge house.

Somebody help this poor guy out. He's struggling so hard
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #131
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Lytton was 47.5°c today, god damn
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #132
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
he could get a ilx for his next acura

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #133
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Hottest in Lytton was 47.9°C according to CBC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-28-1.6082676

And highest temperature ever recorded in Las Vegas? 47.2°C
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #134
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post

Like mine ? last 2 month....

Now, this week i have to shut down those operations, otherwise, house will burn down.
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #135
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Took a nice, cold shower. When I got out, I dried myself with a towel that was at ambient (hot) temperature.

Gonna toss a towel in the freezer next time.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:21 PM   #136
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
Like mine ? last 2 month....

Now, this week i have to shut down those operations, otherwise, house will burn down.
We have almost the same gh, why is ur power use almost double mine wtf (I'm at 3.2)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:23 PM   #137

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
For anyone looking to get air purifiers ahead of the scalpers, here's what appears to be a pretty good deal.
https://www.costco.ca/cuckoo-air-pur...100758109.html
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #138
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
ez just dip your balls into a top-loading freezer
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 09:37 PM   #139
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Took a nice, cold shower. When I got out, I dried myself with a towel that was at ambient (hot) temperature.

Gonna toss a towel in the freezer next time.
Everything in my house is hot to touch. My bed sheets and pillows feel like they came straight out of the dryer.

My family of 4 has cramped into my older daughter’s room since Saturday. We only have 1 portable AC that’s 14000 btu but it’s struggling to keep temps below 30c.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:56 PM   #140
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Can someone please explain to me why every year, people go scrambling for portable a/c units and fans? I've been using the same portable a/c unit I bought 6 summers ago and the same fan I stole from my parents house which they probably bought 15 years ago. Everything still works. Do you guys purchase these items and toss em out after one summer? Or are people too lazy to go down to storage to retrieve these items?
Blah_Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #141
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Can any experts tell me what is this big vent for? It seems to suck air in when my A/C is on.

I assume these things on my ceiling is A/C vents. All of them have cool air shooting out, except for this one in particular. Air isn't coming out of this one and I also noticed there's a lot of dark gray stuff on it. Is that mold or something?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #142
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
For anyone looking to get air purifiers ahead of the scalpers, here's what appears to be a pretty good deal.
https://www.costco.ca/cuckoo-air-pur...100758109.html
How come people are getting air purifiers? I've got one due to a cat allergy (anything to for the little guy) and the air that comes out of it during summers like this is still warm/room temp. Does barely anything to help cool off.

I think the thing with AC units is that people just generally never had one before. First thing I did when I saw the forecast of 35+ was to buy one. I'm sure many others did the same.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #143
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
How come people are getting air purifiers? I've got one due to a cat allergy (anything to for the little guy) and the air that comes out of it during summers like this is still warm/room temp. Does barely anything to help cool off.

I think the thing with AC units is that people just generally never had one before. First thing I did when I saw the forecast of 35+ was to buy one. I'm sure many others did the same.
Smoke from wild fires is pretty nasty stuff. AQI (Air Quality Index) during summer months when wild fires are burning everywhere from the east and from the south gets pretty high. It's not bad if there are winds blowing from the ocean, but in places like the valley (Langley/Abbotsford/Mission), that shit just accumulates. Even in normal conditions, the pollution from Vancouver just moves over to the valley. Our shit, their problem..........

As for the AC thing, lots of people keep putting it off. "Why buy something that you'll use once or twice a year?" Until it's too late. You know what I saw at the clearance section at Costco this morning? Those parabolic heaters, lol.

After the demand dies down, I'm going to get me another portable AC. The AC's I have are getting old one is 15+ years old and making weird noises and produces scary smells. One day, they're going to stop working. Having a spare is alway a good thing. In case you can't find them when you need it.
I'm such a hoarder, right, B!tch? lol.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 10:31 PM   #144
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Can any experts tell me what is this big vent for? It seems to suck air in when my A/C is on.

I assume these things on my ceiling is A/C vents. All of them have cool air shooting out, except for this one in particular. Air isn't coming out of this one and I also noticed there's a lot of dark gray stuff on it. Is that mold or something?

Intake...........

I remember an HVAC person I used to know tell me how central AC's are mold magnets. Bacteria.......... yuk.

If that one vent is not working, it's probably clogged...... dead rodents or something. Just kidding. At least I hope I'm wrong.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:53 PM   #145
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
We have almost the same gh, why is ur power use almost double mine wtf (I'm at 3.2)
I wish I'm the only one using all the powa....
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2021, 11:27 PM   #146
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I purchased a bag of red dahlias years ago from Costco. Not sure what variety, but it is as hardy as any plant can be. Over the years, it kept growing bigger and bigger. I don't look after them at all. Five years now, I think. It got so big that I dug the tubers up and gave more than half away to my Italian neighbours. I thought for sure they wouldn't grow back, but there they are. As bushy as ever. They're almost like weeds, the way they grow. The pom pom dahlias I purchased this year for the first time, is from a place out in Mission. Ferncliffe Gardens, I believe. Five out of five of them have sprouted (can I use that term for tubers?). The three I bought from Gardenworks are the ones that are wilting in this heat. Only two of them have come out of the ground. They are beside the original bushes, so not sure why they aren't doing well. I may have forgotten to put bonemeal into the dirt when planting. My gladiolus are looking great. I tell ya, nothing like sea soil. SO, I really don't know much about dahlias, except aphids are gross. I used to use pesticides (Safers Endall), but started just spraying them off with a powerful shot of water. Like when that planet was destroyed in Star Wars, I heard/felt a thousand screams as they all died in an instant. Aphids' heads are stuck on the plant and the water just decapitates them, as the bodies aren't sticking to the plant. My neighbour just wipes them off the plant stalks with his fingers. Yuck, not me. I don't want to go anywhere near those ugly things. From far away, they look like a coat of tar. Up close, there are thousands of them. Ants actually farm aphids, so get rid of them and the aphid problem isn't as big a deal.

As for Hydrangea's, I have no luck with the one I have. It looks like Charlie Brown's christmas tree. Sea soil might not be for them. I will have to transplant it into a pot. Roses don't like sea soil, either. According to Brad at Select Roses. Now roses, I have lots of. Everything from Florabunda and climbers to the most amazing hybrid teas. I have this rose called dark knight. It starts out black and turns into a deep deep purple. I have a pure white variety called, Pope John Paul, that's stunning next to a velvety crimson red rose variety I have no tag for. Anyway, an orange coloured rose just started to bloom. So many varieties of roses. So beautiful.

Anyway............... I talk too much.
Wow, that's amazing! I wish I had the space and skills to grow so many types of plants. I'm still a novice at dahlias so they don't always come back and I have to add new tubers every year. I bought from Ferncliff for the first time and it came to almost $20/tuber after shipping..and one of them didn't grow. I added some cheaper ones too, from Home Depot, Costco, and the Vancouver Dahlia Society tuber sale. With my crappy gardening skills, I've learned to accept that those rare and really beautiful varieties will be nothing more than one-year wonders for me. Squishing aphids is pretty satisfying. I use a dilute vinegar spray that causes the ants and aphids to move around so I can squish them easier.

Usually the heat wave comes later (in July/Aug?) and the blooms get deformed or the petals burn, but if the temperature cools down from here on and the plants survive, I think it could potentially translate to a better blooming season. I guess we'll see!
kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:08 AM   #147
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I purchased a bag of red dahlias years ago from Costco. Not sure what variety, but it is as hardy as any plant can be. Over the years, it kept growing bigger and bigger. I don't look after them at all. Five years now, I think. It got so big that I dug the tubers up and gave more than half away to my Italian neighbours. I thought for sure they wouldn't grow back, but there they are. As bushy as ever. They're almost like weeds, the way they grow. The pom pom dahlias I purchased this year for the first time, is from a place out in Mission. Ferncliffe Gardens, I believe. Five out of five of them have sprouted (can I use that term for tubers?). The three I bought from Gardenworks are the ones that are wilting in this heat. Only two of them have come out of the ground. They are beside the original bushes, so not sure why they aren't doing well. I may have forgotten to put bonemeal into the dirt when planting. My gladiolus are looking great. I tell ya, nothing like sea soil. SO, I really don't know much about dahlias, except aphids are gross. I used to use pesticides (Safers Endall), but started just spraying them off with a powerful shot of water. Like when that planet was destroyed in Star Wars, I heard/felt a thousand screams as they all died in an instant. Aphids' heads are stuck on the plant and the water just decapitates them, as the bodies aren't sticking to the plant. My neighbour just wipes them off the plant stalks with his fingers. Yuck, not me. I don't want to go anywhere near those ugly things. From far away, they look like a coat of tar. Up close, there are thousands of them. Ants actually farm aphids, so get rid of them and the aphid problem isn't as big a deal.

As for Hydrangea's, I have no luck with the one I have. It looks like Charlie Brown's christmas tree. Sea soil might not be for them. I will have to transplant it into a pot. Roses don't like sea soil, either. According to Brad at Select Roses. Now roses, I have lots of. Everything from Florabunda and climbers to the most amazing hybrid teas. I have this rose called dark knight. It starts out black and turns into a deep deep purple. I have a pure white variety called, Pope John Paul, that's stunning next to a velvety crimson red rose variety I have no tag for. Anyway, an orange coloured rose just started to bloom. So many varieties of roses. So beautiful.

Anyway............... I talk too much.
So I got curious and looked up what a dahlia is.

It's the same stuff my dad used to grow when I was younger. He also did roses and those flowers on a stick (no idea what they were called)

He attracted a lot of attention from neighbours, people commenting on how pretty they are, and assholes who would just cut the flowers off and take them.

I didn't know dahlias were hard to grow, and he gave a lot of the bulbs away. He dug them out every year in the fall to put them away so they don't die in the winter.

We just bought a house and I asked him if he wanted to grow flowers at my house. He pretty much told me to fuck off lol.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:31 AM   #148
MG1

Bulbs and tubers are pretty resilient. When you buy them, make sure they are meant for our climate. I couldn't be bothered to dig them up. Just leave the plant stalks and everything to naturally die. Leaving them in the ground until they totally die. That extra time allows them to keep growing to the last possible moment. Then they go hibernate (go all dormant). In dead of winter or even after, I just pull up the plants, but only if they pull up easily. My gladiolus when dead, just fall apart. Then, in the spring, they come back up nice and strong. I have gladys that look like they are on steroids. Stalks are solid and not wimpy like the ones that have been around for five plus years. Those I have to dig up. Because they are wimpy and two inches apart. Tubers must have multiplied to the point they are not going to survive. Sharing same nutrients and nobody winning. Those tuber can be replanted further apart the next year. Give the rest away. Anyway...........

Oh, as for Ferncliff, I just drive to Mission to pick them up. Save shipping, plus gives me excuse to drive to that part of the valley. I drive an electric car, so total cost would be like 95¢ to a dollar and a half depending on how I drive.

EDIT: gladiolus are bulbs, not tubers.

BTW, guys, I was never into gardening five years ago. My wife used to do all that. She, like my mother had a green thumb. Me, as black a thumb as a......... my Ridgeline. When my wife passed away, things in the garden started to look really really sad - bordering of gross. An embarrassment for sure. Since I take flowers to my wife everyday, it got costly. Not to mention the times I go to Mountainview Cemetery, where all my relatives and friends are. I used to be scared of insects. Still am, but they are a fact of life. I learned to walk between the garden beds with a stick to avoid spider webs and whatnot. I do, however, enjoy the pollinators, like bees and butterflies. I totally love it when I see ladybugs/ladybirds. They are beneficial insects - aphid lovers. When you see birds and bees in the garden, you know it's a healthy garden. The lavender bush I have attracts so many flying insects. Tiny birds hiding in the bushes. Kind of catch you off guard sometimes.

Last edited by MG1; 06-29-2021 at 05:46 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2021, 08:29 AM   #149
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
It's good to have you back on RS, MG1
Old 06-29-2021, 08:42 AM   #150

Thanked 6,698 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post

It was a tip so that when the air is shitty in 3 weeks due to fires, people aren't panicking and hoarding air purifiers lol
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: