REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #26
Need my Daily Fix of RS

well it was an easy way to spot an undercover cop, all decals were Feb 28
Advertisement
dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #27
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

yeah but i still want my 2023 decal haha

But honestly, finally. Took them long enough. Still wasteful for cancelled policies requiring returned plates and not being able to use the numbers again. I suppose they hve their reasons

Last edited by coneZONE; 02-15-2022 at 07:54 PM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:22 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
I was hoping BC would ditch the front plate
Nah, I would never be in support of this, contrary to being a car enthusiast thing. There's already enough shitheads driving around, making it more difficult to ID them by not requiring a front plate is a big no for me.

Sometimes there are cases where you'll only catch the front of a car in your dashcam if they hit and run in a parking lot for example.

I'm all for making my car look more pretty, but if a front plate ensures people are held accountable, I feel this takes a higher priority regardless.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:41 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
Also if a car already has a front plate bracket, having a plate on it looks far better than the bare bracket.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:15 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
no i want to put jurassic park plate on mine
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:19 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I think as of last year there was a fee unless they changed it, it just comes out of any refunds if one cars insurance is cheaper than the other.

I think it's around $30?
So talk to the broker, ICBC will forward the renewal to the broker the policy holder(s) who did the renewal in the past 3 years. And ONLY SIMPLE RENEW with no changes are allowed online.

Leased, commercial, multiple owners, and change to policy will still require a visit to the autoplan broker.

The renewal interface will be 7-8 pages long. Once completed, the broker will review and renew as normal. If there is any error, the broker will contact the policy holder.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #32
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Speed View Post
So talk to the broker, ICBC will forward the renewal to the broker the policy holder(s) who did the renewal in the past 3 years. And ONLY SIMPLE RENEW with no changes are allowed online.

Leased, commercial, multiple owners, and change to policy will still require a visit to the autoplan broker.

The renewal interface will be 7-8 pages long. Once completed, the broker will review and renew as normal. If there is any error, the broker will contact the policy holder.
Does that mean the broker still get the same cut as he did before?

I've been with my autoplan broker for quite a few years now, and he has been good with me, esp with hook ups on trick new licence plates. While I'd like the speed and simplicity of renewing online myself, I'd hate to leave him out in the cold without getting paid.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #33
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

I've been with my autoplan broker for quite a few years now, and he has been good with me, esp with hook ups on trick new licence plates. While I'd like the speed and simplicity of renewing online myself, I'd hate to leave him out in the cold without getting paid.
why?

i'm a small business owner, I don't want to see anybody lose their professions, but ICBC renewals have and always will be a scam.

there is no reason to cut a 3rd party into the deal for a straight renewal.

you're basically tipping the guy. Go see him for your house insurance, go see him for complicated renewals. He'll earn his money that way.

BTW they're still getting fully paid under the new system for reviewing the renewals. The "review" that low level brokers will now do from home (without any office costs) will just reduce costs for the brokerage owners. They're going to make more money off us now, not less.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #34
I'm being watched.

Now they just need to provide discounts on 2nd/3rd policies.
essel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Curious to know how the Police system and ICBC's systems sync together. About 5 years ago I was driving my vehicle and got pulled over in Coquitlam. Cop asks for insurance and says their system isn't always up to date with ICBC so its showing my vehicle as uninsured. Although I was 8months into a 1 year plan that was paid off. They just checked it and let me go.

Was the cop simply lying just to get me to pull over and receive documentation? Do you think they would use this method more often, now that we dont have to run stickers? Seems like a super Gray area to me, I mean I know they can already do roadside DUI testing without any proof.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #36
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Curious to know how the Police system and ICBC's systems sync together. About 5 years ago I was driving my vehicle and got pulled over in Coquitlam. Cop asks for insurance and says their system isn't always up to date with ICBC so its showing my vehicle as uninsured. Although I was 8months into a 1 year plan that was paid off. They just checked it and let me go.

Was the cop simply lying just to get me to pull over and receive documentation? Do you think they would use this method more often, now that we dont have to run stickers? Seems like a super Gray area to me, I mean I know they can already do roadside DUI testing without any proof.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/j...ce-recognition

I wonder if this change will alter what data is available to the officer

Quote:
The scans are compared with the ALPR hot list, which is generated daily from Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC) and Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) databases.

The secure hot list is loaded into ALPR-equipped police vehicles at the start of each shift. There is no real-time access to ICBC or CPIC drivers’ databases. A sound will alert the police officer if a scan results in a hit. The police officer must then confirm the hit against the live ICBC and CPIC databases. If the hit is confirmed, the officer responds as appropriate.

In the case of a hit, ALPR records the image of the vehicle, as well as its plate number, the date, time and GPS coordinates of the vehicle and the type of hit. The police officer will record what action was taken. No distinguishing features of vehicle occupants can be seen in 98% of the pictures taken because the camera focuses on the plate.

When a licence plate scan does not yield a hit, data about the plate is deleted from the ALPR system at the end of the officer’s shift. The only data that are saved are the date, time and GPS coordinates, which are kept for statistical purposes.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:01 AM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

They already faced with a steep cut on last year's changes. So it's pretty bad for brokers now.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #38
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
i imagine there will still be brokers doing work, not everyone is familiar or tech savvy to renew online, much like online banking vs bank tellers.

i'll probably just continue to use a broker, sometimes having them explain changes etc is nice, assuming they didn't suck to begin with.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:29 AM   #39
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
It's often hard to find a good broker. When I find one, I stick to them and often devastated to learn when they move on to something else or to another agency. That's when it sucks.

I think for the online renewals, if you know what you are getting and don't need to make changes, the use case makes sense; Just renew as-is and away you go. But for those who have no idea what's going on, need to make changes, their situation changes etc. that's when a broker comes in to play.

I don't think this will be revolutionary as I would expect online adoption may take some time and perhaps this only appeals to a certain demographic. I appreciate that I can renew my plate sticker online here in Ontario, but of course, Doug Ford is looking to win votes in the upcoming election by abolishing renewals and giving those who recently renewed, a refund. I hope to expect a $240 refund.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2022, 08:47 AM   #40
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Brokers sometimes have very nice eye candy if you pick the right places... everything gets automated what's a guy to do? All we will have left is banks and *shudder* Cactus Club?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #41
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Brokers sometimes have very nice eye candy if you pick the right places... everything gets automated what's a guy to do? All we will have left is banks and *shudder* Cactus Club?
Cactus was bought by Earls. We may lose that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #42
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
all i got from the last 2 posts was cactus club, earls and eye candy

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:40 PM   #43
I bringith the lowerballerith

Brokers are sales people. They sell you shit you dont need. That is where they make the commission. If you just get basic insurance they dont make anything except their base rate. If you drive a luxury car or anything expensive with full optional coverage you can guarantee any broker will suck up to you. They will literally hand deliver your insurance in person where ever you are.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #44
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Brokers sometimes have very nice eye candy if you pick the right places...
Oh yeah, didn't we have this discussion on RS before.
I wanna say a certain insurance broker located near the high end dealerships on Burrard st.
They only hired young female staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:13 PM   #45
Fanboy

Coming soon

Convenience fee $25

Also I may have pressure washed my decal off a couple times and had to pay for a new one. That wasn't fun.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #46
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
anyone know how 3rd party optional insurance works with this? do we have to go to brokers to get that or will they be available online too?
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #47
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I would assume it's business as usual for 3rd party insurance. I just renew with my motorcycle insurance through my broker over the phone and she sends me a policy in the mail. And I live on the other side of the country too.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote