REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:10 PM   #26
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Regretfully, it's up to 19 children and 2 adults. Beyond tragic ...
Advertisement
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:00 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
The issue is pretty complex, everyone wants to point to a single cause because that's easier but either way nothing gets done about anything. They could very easily throw loads of money into mental health support and universal healthcare which would help America and Americans massively, including with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
What really needs to happen if anyone wants change is they probably will need to start killing the politicians and lawmakers and their families that allow this to happen. That said, the people who want gun laws want those because they are anti violence. It’s easy to see how one side of the argument has the advantage of being willing to inflict damage for their cause while the other doesn’t.
I'm honestly amazed nobody snaps and retaliates. Or maybe they do and you just never hear about it because there are so many murders down there.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:09 PM   #28

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
People cared enough about trump to storm the capitol, a bunch of brain dead morons cared enough about somthing that was never ever going to happen that they shook democracy

Have yet to see anything even close to that over gun violence. The will isn’t there. It’s a tough one because who cares the most? Victims families?

If they tried to stop border crossings etc. they would get shut down in a minute by opposing protests
Maybe they are not stupid enough to break the law and go to jail.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:05 AM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
we bring up Sandy hook in times like this. its like we all forgot about Columbine.

really shows how everything is fucked up and everyone in america is covering their ears to change still.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:03 AM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
we bring up Sandy hook in times like this. its like we all forgot about Columbine.

really shows how everything is fucked up and everyone in america is covering their ears to change still.
I had a crazy/morbid thought today that all the Columbine survivors are in their late 30's and early 40's now, and could potentially have kids going to that school if they were in that state.

Nothing has changed since then, in fact it's gotten a lot worse
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:19 AM   #31
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Maybe they are not stupid enough to break the law and go to jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWMvOlpkxM
yea thats worked amazingly.. better not cause any waves after your 4 year old is gunned down.. better to just listen to rich, out of touch, basketball guy.

I actually had the exact same thought Westopher after my last post last night, eventually you have to take the law into your own hands. Most of these peoples lives are ruined after these events, maybe time to take matters into their own hands
Old 05-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
How fast do you think things would change if someone shot up the classroom Greg Abbott’s kids, or McConnells grandkids or Ted Cruz’ kids or which ever of these dumbfucks who pander to the lowest common denominator. I’d bet it would be less than 300x since 2009 would be the number to enact some sort of meaningful legislation.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:32 AM   #33
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Things are all out of balance.

Anti-gun people live in a world of grey. Every situation needs to be weighed and considered. We sometimes need guns (policing/army) but mostly don't. They can only fight with words and videos because they're anti-gun and, presumably, anti-violence... doing otherwise would simply prove the point of those they are against. Creating rules for society in this vein this takes an enormous amount of thinking, creating, deciding, rationalizing and still accepting you'll get stuff wrong and the pitchforks will come out saying "See!!! Told you it wouldn't work!!"

Gun advocates are black and white. Trespass my property? I don't care why I get to shoot you in the face. Steal from me? Well, you're also getting shot. They never think about weighing human life or circumstances... it's just "I've been wronged and you're in the wrong, therefore you're dead" and that extends to the laws. You try to take away their lawfully owned guns, they will shoot you.

It's like a big bully vs a wimpy kid. Even when the wimpy kid eventually lashes out they either get whooped... or everyone is shocked at what they did and starts feeling sympathetic for the bully "I was brought up in a bad home cry cry"... there's really no affecting change in a country set up the way the USA is. This issue extends to other social welfare projects too ie: medicare or welfare... the republican minded portions of the USA are all about this place where you shouldn't have to help random people out with their problems or have random people affect your life in any way. They will give you the shirt off their back if they WANT to, but you can't TELL them to. They have absolutely zero appetite for being told that some of their money will go to needy people or that they need to give anything up to make society safer. Zero. None.

No right wing politician will commit political suicide by going against guns... and no left wing one will risk his life and family life AND political career to do it.

I think like what was said above, nothing will change until someone very central to the issue has something bad happen to them.

I fear it might be too late though. I am unsure what happned/what point, say, the UK banned firearms and how they handled it (might be worth looking into) as I assume there was a point lots of people had guns at home and then they weren't allowed... how did they enact it? You might have been able to do something like that pre-internet and pre-social media... people didn't have the same ability to congregate and gather and link arms... just complain to their neighbour and their Great Aunt Mildred and then move on... but nowadays it would be an almost impossible task.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:04 AM   #34

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
. better to just listen to rich, out of touch, basketball guy.
Not exactly out of touch, considering his father was shot dead.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #35

Is he wrong because he’s a basketball coach?
Who should we be listening to? The policymakers that continue to allow this to happen because they know so well what to do?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #36

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post

I think part of it is the age as well. Not that any kid dying or any school shooting isn't horrific but Sandy Hook was an elementary school as was the latest shooting, Columbine was a high school.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:27 AM   #37
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Is he wrong because he’s a basketball coach?
Who should we be listening to? The policymakers that continue to allow this to happen because they know so well what to do?
I love conservative logic.

"He doesn't know what he's talking about he's a fucking basketball coach"

"Fuck that guy running our country, fucking drama teacher"

............. enter Joe Biden

"This guy isn't going to change anything, career politician, motherfucker is 80 years old and been in government for 60 years we need new ideas and change!"

This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:33 AM   #38

Kerrs father was killed in Beirut by Islamic terrorists? Not exactly a comparable..

When I say out of touch, when you’re worth 10’s of millions of dollars, sure someone like him can be a voice because he has a platform. However it’s not like him or anyone else of his stature would ever have to send his kids to a school where something like this would happen
Old 05-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #39
Performance Moderator

Sandy Hook Elementary is in a district that had an average household income of $120,000 in 2007 (likely higher now) and is in the 6th wealthiest county in the entire USA.

If he's rich and doesn't need to worry about his kids, what reason does he even have to grandstand?
Old 05-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #40
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
As much as we bitch about how expensive it is here, I would never trade it up for anywhere else to live but here. At least we don't see these kinds of mass shootings. The kids never got to live their lives, and just like that gone .
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:31 AM   #41
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers Thoughts and Prayers
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Sandy Hook Elementary is in a district that had an average household income of $120,000 in 2007 (likely higher now) and is in the 6th wealthiest county in the entire USA.

If he's rich and doesn't need to worry about his kids, what reason does he even have to grandstand?
Because in society today if you don’t have an opinion people automatically assume you don’t care or support the other side?
Old 05-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #43
Performance Moderator

What you got against Steve Kerr haha... he could have just gone up and done his pre-game and walked off and nobody would have said anything or assumed that.

But he didn't... and it's not the first time he's spoken out. I think he's genuine.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #44

I just think in general, on a personal level, don’t really care what celebrities or sports personalities have to say when they dabble into the political realm. Nothing against him just in general I find most people to be incredibly insincere
Old 05-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #45

Quote:
I just think in general, on a personal level, don’t really care what celebrities or sports personalities have to say when they dabble into the political realm. Nothing against him just in general I find most people to be incredibly insincere
No one on the left is good enough for you. Either they are too smart too young or too rich for you.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
This tragedy hit harder for me personally this time... it's likely because I now have children of my own who are in the elementary school system. I definitely agree that while places like Twitter and Reddit like to complain about Canada, Canadian society, and how expensive it is to live here, I do feel like I have won the lottery and I am very grateful to live in a place in the world where I do not have to arm myself and my children.

Quite frankly, I welcome the comments from celebrities and other famous people. Given the polarized environment in the States, they're putting their clout/reputation and money on the line.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #47

This isn’t Leonardo dicaprio flying over the oil sands in a private jet talking about how climate change is catastrophic and we need to change our habits. There’s no hypocrisy in what Kerr is saying.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #48

It's only celebrates on the left they don't like.

Lil pump a maga supporter was kicked out of high school in grade 10. just the right IQ to be a trump supporter.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #49

No, it’s any celebrity. Frankly I think it would do the world a favour if the roof collapsed in on the Met Gala.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #50
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
These shootings in the United States are a far more complex issue than simply gun lobbyists and left/right politics. They have major issues as a society that stem from an ingrained culture of violence, culture of ignorance, low education, mass proliferation of firearms, and an exponentially growing mental health crisis. To make matters worse there is outright bureaucratic negligence when it comes to Gov policy that allows dangerous individuals to continuously walk through Grand Canyon sized cracks in public safety.

All states have their own unique laws and in each state you have all the different branches of the military, individual state and municipal law enforcement, health authorities, and offices for the various alphabet agencies and organizations. Multiply that by 50 and know there's no way for them to all talk to each other and centrally flag all the people who shouldn't have access to firearms for criminal or health reasons... and then disseminate that information to ALL firearms dealers nationwide! The background checks are a joke in most US states (if they even have them) and are often easy to skirt. That's why almost all of these mass shooters were already "known to police" or "known to X authority" prior to them popping off but nothing was done to stop them. The fact that these revelations come out postmortem every time is fucking disgusting and that blood pools at the feet of all politicians on all sides of the isles both state and federal. They're up to their knees in it. They have been taught the lesson over and over and over and done NOTHING tangible since 1999.

What kind of 18 year old blows away his own grandmother then decides to go in to an elementary school and shoot random children? It's just fucking sick.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: