REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #51
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Kerrs father was killed in Beirut by Islamic terrorists? Not exactly a comparable..
Why is it not comparable to children killed by domestic terrorists?

Quote:
When I say out of touch, when you’re worth 10’s of millions of dollars, sure someone like him can be a voice because he has a platform. However it’s not like him or anyone else of his stature would ever have to send his kids to a school where something like this would happen
"I don't know how to explain to you why you should care about other people."

Even ignoring that and if his kids are at some ultra secure school they still go to the grocery store and church like everyone else. Unless you live in a compound like in South Africa but who would want to live like that?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #52
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
GOP checklist:

Don't let kids learn about gays it hurts them
Don't let kids learn history it hurts them
Don't let kids learn about sex it hurts them

The class on what to do in an active shooter situation starts at 9am though!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:53 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
These shootings in the United States are a far more complex issue than simply gun lobbyists and left/right politics. They have major issues as a society that stem from an ingrained culture of violence, culture of ignorance, low education, mass proliferation of firearms, and an exponentially growing mental health crisis. To make matters worse there is outright bureaucratic negligence when it comes to Gov policy that allows dangerous individuals to continuously walk through Grand Canyon sized cracks in public safety.

All states have their own unique laws and in each state you have all the different branches of the military, individual state and municipal law enforcement, health authorities, and offices for the various alphabet agencies and organizations. Multiply that by 50 and know there's no way for them to all talk to each other and centrally flag all the people who shouldn't have access to firearms for criminal or health reasons... and then disseminate that information to ALL firearms dealers nationwide! The background checks are a joke in most US states (if they even have them) and are often easy to skirt. That's why almost all of these mass shooters were already "known to police" or "known to X authority" prior to them popping off but nothing was done to stop them. The fact that these revelations come out postmortem every time is fucking disgusting and that blood pools at the feet of all politicians on all sides of the isles both state and federal. They're up to their knees in it. They have been taught the lesson over and over and over and done NOTHING tangible since 1999.

What kind of 18 year old blows away his own grandmother then decides to go in to an elementary school and shoot random children? It's just fucking sick.

Everything you have said is true, but at some point you need to start somewhere.

Right now the USA has shown that they're not even willing to make even the smallest of steps to tackle the problem. It's really sad.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 05-25-2022 at 01:02 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #54

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts

The fucking governor will be talking at a NRA convention being held in a few days. When trump speaks it will be a gun free zone.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,747 Times in 699 Posts
Quote:
I just think in general, on a personal level, don’t really care what celebrities or sports personalities have to say when they dabble into the political realm. Nothing against him just in general I find most people to be incredibly insincere
I get what you're saying, there are a lot of influencers that just want the clout, but Kerr seemed pretty genuine.

He was using his platform to plead his case. Seems like his messaged reached more people than most would.

Why would you not want a celebrity on your side to help push your agenda/ideas. Seems like that would be an advantage for any issue.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #56
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
It's a double-edged sword tho... I doubt Trump would have ever become President if it wasn't for the whole "celebrity" angle... same for Dr. Oz running in a state he doesn't even live in... and why people like The Rock are even in conversation about being a future one.............
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #57
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
It’s all the same shit with celebs. Everyone loves the rock he’s the fun wrestling guy! Yet he posts pics working on Colabs with Bezos and other people that the general public consider pure trash.

Down deep every celebrity at the top steps over people and on people to get there. There are very few out there that can take the morale high ground on any issue without being considered a hypocrite. Kerr actually seems like he is one of the “ok” guys given his reputation as a coach and how he was portrayed in that Jordan doc etc. but for me, I don’t need to hear a Celebs opinion on anything, I’m good.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #58

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
He has every right to speak his mind. As a father, as a citizen, and as someone who obviously cares about the violence in his country. Especially as someone who’s speaking without hypocrisy.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:33 AM   #59
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsin..._massacre_fox/

Sorry I don’t know how to post a Reddit video. Fox News gives 50 suggestions in 24 hours, not one of them are gun control

Old 05-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #60
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Another heartfelt plea ... Stupid US Senate ... so I heard this more than once. A bi-partisan bill was passed by the House for basic background check before gun purchase but stalled for over a year in the Senate. So lots of anger towards the Senators.

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:44 PM   #61
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Husband of the teacher victim had a heart attack this morning and passed away. They have 4 kids.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/joe-irma-...ource=customer
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #62

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsin..._massacre_fox/

Sorry I don’t know how to post a Reddit video. Fox News gives 50 suggestions in 24 hours, not one of them are gun control

God
God
God
Don’t be triggered
Gunfight
Gunfight
Gunfight
Armour
Armour
Armour

Fucking scumbag piece of shit morons. I feel so bad for Americans that have an ounce of sense having to share a space with so many absolute garbage humans.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #63
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Footage of cops arguing with parents while shots being fired.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...eb2x&context=3

Some cops were able to get their kids out.
tegra7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Footage of cops arguing with parents while shots being fired.

Some cops were able to get their kids out.
What do people expect from people making 60K a year with little training.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #65

Jesus fucking christ, their cops are too incompetent to deal with a situation like this, and they want to arm Teachers?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #66

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
They don't trust teachers to choose the right books, but they want to give them guns?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 03:29 PM   #67
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Probably been mentioned already

But the husband of one of the slain teachers died of a heart attack

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61569655

Quote:
The husband of one of the teachers slain in Tuesday's mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas has reportedly died of a heart attack just two days later.

Joe Garcia was the husband of Irma Garcia, who taught for 23 years at Robb Elementary School.

Mrs Garcia was one of the two teachers killed by a gunman that left 21 dead - including 19 children.

The couple - who were married for 24 years - is survived by four children.

On Twitter, a nephew of Mrs Garcia, John Martinez, said that Mr Garcia "passed away due to grief" in the wake of his wife's murder.

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #68
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Grief can put people in a dark, dark place. Hard to get out of it without some sort of damage. What got me through the loss of my wife was something my daughter said to me. "I already lost one parent, you're all I have left. Please be there for me.................."

My wife died from cancer, this person lost his loved one due to some senseless murder. A choice someone made to end a life and affect those around each of those victims. No place in hell is good enough for the shooter. The shooter's family is probably going through some tough times. How did this guy get to where he is/was. What went wrong with his upbringing? Anyway, very tragic. How do you go about consoling these people?

Namo Amida Bustu / Rest in Peace.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 05-26-2022 at 04:37 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 04:51 PM   #69
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Before having kids, I knew these were very sad events but couldn’t relate. Now that I have two children, these school shootings hit differently. Imagine dropping your kids off at school or daycare knowing that some random might decide to shoot everyone because he/she had a bad day.

Arming teachers make zero sense. Imagine dropping your kids off knowing every grown up carry a gun. Also, what would a pistol do when these shooters carry a rifle??
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #70
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Cops are just LARPers who are bullies instead of nerds

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 10:06 PM   #71
Need to Seek Professional Help

Another issue is protocols and procedures. As stupid as it might sound, you can't just run into a situation Rambo style. You are trained to follow all the protocols... set up a perimeter, call the big shots in, wait for intelligence, etc...
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 10:43 PM   #72
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Jesus fucking christ, their cops are too incompetent to deal with a situation like this, and they want to arm Teachers?
The states are soo fucked up right now but "if" i was living down there and the only 2 options were for the teacher of my kids to armed or not. I would picked them to be armed. I already trust my kids to be taken care of and taught by teachers 8hrs a day 5 days a week. The teacher is the last line of defence for my kids staying safe. Thats if i was living in the US though. Thankgod i dont.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:25 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
The states are soo fucked up right now but "if" i was living down there and the only 2 options were for the teacher of my kids to armed or not. I would picked them to be armed. I already trust my kids to be taken care of and taught by teachers 8hrs a day 5 days a week. The teacher is the last line of defence for my kids staying safe. Thats if i was living in the US though. Thankgod i dont.
The police have a hard time dealing with an active shooter but you think a math teacher will be able to take down someone with ar 15?

The NRA is pushing arming staff because it means more gun sales and more money for the gun companies. Next, they will be wanting to arm students.

You also have the whole problem with storing guns at school. Only a matter of time before a student steals a gun from a teacher.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:50 AM   #74
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Just make being a NRA memeber a prerequisite for being a school teacher. /s
Old 05-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Before having kids, I knew these were very sad events but couldn’t relate. Now that I have two children, these school shootings hit differently. Imagine dropping your kids off at school or daycare knowing that some random might decide to shoot everyone because he/she had a bad day.

Arming teachers make zero sense. Imagine dropping your kids off knowing every grown up carry a gun. Also, what would a pistol do when these shooters carry a rifle??
Holy shit. People need to stop watching action movies where some regular joe becomes some superhero marksman saving the day.

I mean fuck, the POLICE, who are trained and paid to do the job couldn't even get their shit together in this case.

Armed teachers are more to hurt an innocent person than ever "stop a bad guy"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by: