REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:01 AM   #3476
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,050 Times in 2,083 Posts
Let’s hope they’re all wrong.
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:07 AM   #3477
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,771 Times in 912 Posts
I know these so called "experts" are just making guesses and they by no means can tell the future anymore than you or I can but honestly I have no idea how anyone in their right mind can and would believe Oilers would have taken us out in 5. I'm also as baffled as to how Edmonton coming into the year are Stanley Cup favorites. I think the McDavid effect clouds peoples judgment to make them believe this team is elite. I'm sorry but I've never bought into it, yea McDavid is the best and Leon is up there as well but this is hockey and you need a complete team and while the Oilers have improved over the years in the D department they are still far from having a good enough overall team to win it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2024, 12:03 PM   #3478
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^Just like with the Laffs. They can't go far in the playoffs if they just rely on 4 forwards and no true upgrades to their defense and goaltending. Yet I still hear about them at the beginning of the season being a top contender.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:15 PM   #3479
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,733 Times in 5,231 Posts
Anyone interested in the watch party tonight PM me I might be able to hook you up… single ticket only.

Downside: Would have to sit next to me lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:21 PM   #3480

Thanked 3,931 Times in 935 Posts
Loool, between this and the other day when he said Edmonton fans have nothing else to do other than to watch Hockey, pls extend him.

bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:45 PM   #3481

Oilers going 11F and 7D tonight.

McDrai will play big minutes again, and their D might be banged up.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:00 PM   #3482
Performance Moderator

Can they play any more? 29 mins last game wasn't it?

Do they even have any other lines?
Old 05-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #3483
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,713 Posts
McDrai is gonna be running on fumes with the heavy minutes that those two Coilers playing in this series.

Coilers have no depth in their forwards outside of McDrai and Hyman.

Big Z is putting the big hurt on Kane. The physical game that our players are playing against the Coilers is taking a toll on them.

Just stay disciplined with hard physical play without the crosschecks, and stick work to avoid penalties. The team will get their scoring chances again with these Coilers whether it is on 5 on 5 play or the power play.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:26 PM   #3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Can they play any more? 29 mins last game wasn't it?

Do they even have any other lines?
They're splitting McDrai up tonight, which I think will work in our favor. Miller and Lindholm can take 1 line each.

With Pickard in net and Mcdrai split up, Nucks just need to stay off the penalty and will have a better shot at winning. Oilers are 10/22 on the PP so far in the playoffs.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2024, 01:50 PM   #3485
Performance Moderator

That's a pretty big improvement on the Canucks part, they were at 66% coming into this series I think?
Old 05-14-2024, 02:40 PM   #3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
That's a pretty big improvement on the Canucks part, they were at 66% coming into this series I think?
nucks were 2/13 on the PP in round 1, lol

3/9 in round 2 so far. we were only 66% in the last game, 1st game was 0/3 and 2nd game was 1/3
Old 05-14-2024, 02:52 PM   #3487
Performance Moderator

No I mean the Oilers PP was ~66% from the LA series... so if it's at 10/22 now we're slowly chipping away on the PK
Old 05-14-2024, 02:57 PM   #3488

ah, i c. they're 4/8 in this series right now, pretty fucking dangerous, lol
Old 05-14-2024, 03:08 PM   #3489
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,891 Times in 8,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I know these so called "experts" are just making guesses and they by no means can tell the future anymore than you or I can but honestly I have no idea how anyone in their right mind can and would believe Oilers would have taken us out in 5. I'm also as baffled as to how Edmonton coming into the year are Stanley Cup favorites. I think the McDavid effect clouds peoples judgment to make them believe this team is elite. I'm sorry but I've never bought into it, yea McDavid is the best and Leon is up there as well but this is hockey and you need a complete team and while the Oilers have improved over the years in the D department they are still far from having a good enough overall team to win it.
Because predictions and expectations are just that, and don't always bear out in reality. MOST of the time, they do

Canucks are playing very well defensively. Offensively they are inconsistent, but Skinner has been such shit, it hasn't mattered yet.

If Skinner was even a decent goaltender, the Oilers would probably be sweeping right now.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2024, 03:22 PM   #3490
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,470 Times in 5,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Because predictions and expectations are just that, and don't always bear out in reality. MOST of the time, they do

Canucks are playing very well defensively. Offensively they are inconsistent, but Skinner has been such shit, it hasn't mattered yet.

If Skinner was even a decent goaltender, the Oilers would probably be sweeping right now.
Yea, and if we didn’t have an “AHL” goalie things would be different.

You know what they say about ifs and buts.

Skinner doing this and that (and most “experts, also don’t think he’s playing THAT poorly) doesn’t change the fact that the bottom 6 of Edmonton can’t even get on the ice.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:46 PM   #3491
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,470 Times in 5,710 Posts
lol bro, your takes aren’t based in reality.

Drai and McDavid are performing at a clip better than the regular season and still losing

Edmonton doesn’t even have a second pairing they can trust, they are getting walked by the Canucks 3rd and 4th line.

I don’t care enough to dig up the stats but local radio has been on it all week. If you think a team with 1 unit can go up against a team with full depth, you’re wrong.

This series could have been 3-0 Canucks on a coin flip. No one looks at the oilers depth and thinks this is an effective lineup. Even players like Kane etc. are washed and can’t be contributors when under pressure OR when they are playing in their own zone.

Then you start looking at advanced stats and the bottom half of the oilers lineup doesn’t even generate offensive zone pressure.

Find me one team that’s won the cup in the modern era that has 2 players playing HALF the game, I’ll wait.

Edit* AND.. they are still rolling their PP at the rate of the best PP the league has ever seen.. AND STILL LOSING lol..

Last edited by Hondaracer; 05-14-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:50 PM   #3492
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,282 Times in 2,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea, and if we didn’t have an “AHL” goalie things would be different.

You know what they say about ifs and buts.
"If my mom had balls she'd be my dad"
-Max Verstappen
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:55 PM   #3493

Old 05-14-2024, 04:12 PM   #3494

Old 05-14-2024, 04:13 PM   #3495
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,891 Times in 8,241 Posts
Quote:

Drai and McDavid are performing at a clip better than the regular season and still losing

Edmonton doesn’t even have a second pairing they can trust, they are getting walked by the Canucks 3rd and 4th line.

I don’t care enough to dig up the stats but local radio has been on it all week. If you think a team with 1 unit can go up against a team with full depth, you’re wrong.

This series could have been 3-0 Canucks on a coin flip. No one looks at the oilers depth and thinks this is an effective lineup. Even players like Kane etc. are washed and can’t be contributors when under pressure OR when they are playing in their own zone.

Then you start looking at advanced stats and the bottom half of the oilers lineup doesn’t even generate offensive zone pressure.

Find me one team that’s won the cup in the modern era that has 2 players playing HALF the game, I’ll wait.

Edit* AND.. they are still rolling their PP at the rate of the best PP the league has ever seen.. AND STILL LOSING lol..
What actual takes are you arguing with? Do you even know? If you think I'm saying Silovs sucks, which seems to be the reaction whenever anyone says something about him that isn't heaping praise, then you are only existing in your own reality. I never said anything like that. I just said he looks like an AHL goalie a lot, missing position, dropping his stick, AHL quality puck handling, etc. That's not being unfair if you're not insane or blind.

Go back through this thread during games and you'll see everyone talking about how bad Skinner has been playing. Dude got the hook in the last game and got replaced by the (playoff) rookie for today's game. Because he sucks, and he's the main reason they lost 2 games. They were up 4-1 and still lost, because Skinner sucks. That doesn't mean the Canucks suck, they are playing great, but as everyone is saying - Skinner is letting in soft goals and being outplayed by Silovs.

But no, it's the Canucks so we have to pretend that Skinner is an awesome goalie actually, and the reason the Canucks won 2 games is because they are the best in the world! Everything is going perfectly!

Your team can win games and not be the better team. They can win the championship and not be the best team. Team sports results are due to a combination of all sorts of things. Offense, defense, power play, goaltending, officiating, etc. Chiefs got outplayed by the Eagles quite badly in the Super Bowl last year, but some things went their way, and so they won.

And that's fine, so I just stop talking about it in the live threads. Time and place, right?

Actually Silovs looked really fucking good in the third period - like an actual polished Ian Clark goaltender. If he keeps playing like that, he'll be the goaltender people are pretending he is. So far he's been a competent AHL level goalie who is getting great bounces when he's beat.

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 05-14-2024 at 04:34 PM. Reason: 32 year old playoff rookie!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #3496
Performance Moderator

Pickard ain't no rook... he's 32... just a marginal NHL goalie so this is his first playoff game haha

I don't personally know anyone that didn't know that Skinner sucking was a key to winning this series... the entire weakness of the Oilers is their shitty goaltending year after year after year... and questionable defence as well although I think that has improved over previous years. They have to overplay McDrai in response to that weakness. Their 4th line is okay, I mean at various times they've even kept the Canucks hemmed for long periods of time the last couple games... but they're super unlikely to score and it's too tempting to keep tapping McDrai on the back after he's had a 30 second breather.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2024, 04:44 PM   #3497
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,935 Posts
They need a Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog .... to be a top 4 team contender.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 05:17 PM   #3498
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,006 Times in 1,700 Posts
Quote:

Regardless if Edmonton is a 1 line team, they may not be legit cup contenders, but they do have enough to get by Round 2, maybe.

While it's a coin flip Canucks could be up 3-0, it could also be a coin flip Oilers would be up 3-0 too. Skinner has not been playing well enough which gives Canucks hope that they can score just enough to win. If Skinner played a bit better, it would be a different series.

Canucks may be winning in the advanced stats, but at the end of the day, whenever Oilers have a man advantage, they are dangerous, whether it's PP or with an extra attacker. Like, actual legitimate "they're probably going to score" dangerous. Not like the feeling we get when Canucks get a PP "I hope they actually put some shots on net".

When a team can score like that, sometimes 1 line is enough. These are all 1 goal games, it's way too tight. I would say coin flip for either team sounds more accurate.

Can Canucks also sustain being outshot 2:1 every game?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2024, 05:26 PM   #3499

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Can Canucks also sustain being outshot 2:1 every game?
When the other team has shitty goaltending? Yea sure

They can shoot as much as they'd like, but can McDrai sustain carrying their team 30 minutes every game through to the cup finals? If so, then he deserves the McJesus title.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2024, 05:40 PM   #3500
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,269 Times in 1,236 Posts
You let them throw enough pucks on net and shit happens, especially if Cole is on the ice.

I hope we pressure this new goalie early and break their spirits with a couple of quick goals.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote