REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 11-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #6501
I STILL don't get it

^ I was at burgoo tonight (maybe you were there too?). Had the fondumental fondue and the tastiest chicken sandwich. The kale salad had too many red onions which overpowered the dish. Otherwise, really good stuff as always. Their dos diablos sandwich is great too.
Advertisement
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #6502
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

pho duy
10/10 vietnamese coffee yaw
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #6503
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
steamworks pub and restaurant

ordered the lobster ravioli, fucking tasted good even though i had it the next morning

9/10

seafood risotto, tasted bland , no taste, very solid and i wouldn't call it a risotto

6.5/10

classic pizza.... found a fucking cockroach mid way on my plate. Thing is, it was alive and was fucking huge. Dont think it was under the pizza because when I pulled out the slice, nothing was there. Really dirty place that needs to fumigate insects!

Only my pizza was refunded. Asked if I wanted another, declined, not sure if they wanted me to pay for another one but I should of said yes lol

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #6504
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't look like there is a DJ booth upstairs @ Hy's.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/11/h...-cocktail-bar/
Quote:
Hy's Steakhouse debuts new upstairs cocktail bar
By
Lauren Sundstrom

A Vancouver staple since 1955 (and now run by second-generation of the founding Aisenstat family) Hy’s Steakhouse recently underwent a bit of a transformation and is introducing a new cocktail bar and a gorgeous upstairs space decked out in mahogany and wine shelves.

The space feels like an update on a classic library – distinguished and regal, but with modern day touches such as polished stone countertops at the bar.

Upon entering, you’re greeted with the crisp, clean looking bar. There’s another room for seating, and beyond that, a private room with a partition and sliding doors that leads off to a Juliet balcony facing Hornby Street in the heart of downtown.

The entire floor can be rented out for private functions and accommodates up to 100 people.

And what would a good Vancouver cocktail bar be without a happy hour special? Classic cocktails and select wine are 50 per cent off, local beer is just $5 and appetizers range from $2.50 to $5. New appetizers on the menu include prime beef sliders (the same prime beef they use for their steaks, ground in-house), smoked bacon sliders, and seasoned potato chips, all of which are exclusive to their happy hour selection.

Hy’s knows when to leave a classic alone, however: cheese toast is still on the menu across the board, and during happy hour, it’s just $5.

Happy hour lasts from 4 to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, with a DJ spinning vinyl Monday through Wednesday.

Seasonal cocktails include rum, gin, and bourbon-based drinks that will warm up your body and soul. The “Queens of Clover” cocktail is a must try, with Bombay Sapphire gin, St. Germian, Lillet Blanc, raspberry syrup and fresh lemon juice for $15. Delicious.

Even though the space is new, Hy’s classics remain the same: charcoaled grilled steaks and other Hy’s staples are still around and will likely never change.
apparently only mon-wed
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #6505
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
Glowbal flagship location.

I tried their robatayaki which they are "famous" for.

Beef Tongue $8
Wagyu $16
Kurobuta Pork Cheek $8

it wasn't bad. the wagyu definitely had way too much salt. It's not really the same compared to ZAKKUSHI. You don't smell smoke at Glowbal, it seems like it was just a sear and that was it.
Their Lamb Shank was legit and was good so it's worth a try.

It's a hopping place, we didn't see any asian taking out pics yet. Everyone is dressed up there so it's good to see no one with flip flops yet. They have valet $12 which was convenient.

would have to go back and see what's up. can't rate yet but 8/10 for now.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #6506

Taka's sushi

Taka-san has retired as of November 1st, 2015. Unbeknownst to me I stupidly stumbled to Taka's at 11:30am today hoping to the beat the line. Surprisingly enough when I got there, there was no line. When I looked through the window I did not see Taka-san, instead, a young man opened the door and greeted me in Mandarin. I knew something was wrong. I asked the whereabouts of their boss and they told me he has retired since this month and he will come down once in a while to train new disciples. I'll spare you the rest of the eulogy of the Taka's TakeOut Sushi I once knew but simply put, the food has gone downhill.

The wagyu beef was dry and had a weird smell

The o-toro definitely was not cut as well as Taka-san used to. I had doubts about the quality itself from the first piece, but my second piece came out okay.

The aburi stuff tasted mostly the same. If Taka-san made it 10/10, this would be a 9/10. But then again, it's mostly covered with sauce, so they can't fuck it up that bad.

I didn't realize what an integral part of the sushi bar experience is played by connection with the chef himself. Having someone to discuss fish, flavours, senses was such an important part of the experience, not to mention having someone there to know your specific requests.

8/10 would not recommend ever again
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #6507
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
8/10 = would not recommend lol...
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #6508

^Considering how crap most sushi is, despite it being shittier than before, it's still better than 90% of the places in the LM. I wouldn't recommend because it lost every personality it has and became a robotic sushi joint, albeit a good one. I just have very strong feelings towards the place and that's why I can't recommend it because I know what it used to be. The experience is very different depending on the chef
Old 11-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #6509
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
I give it my worst rating yet........ Nine thumbs up.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #6510
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
89 degrees wonderful house: 6/10.

Service is slow and they're too stingy to turn on the heat. To top that off, they gave me luke warm tea.

Food quality is still the same, but prices are getting pretty high. Not much of an incentive to come back.

Y-sushi is only a few blocks away on Edmonds. The service is much better there.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #6511
My homepage has been set to RS

Sandbar on Saturday night for my staff Christmas dinner.

Oysters and dungeonous crab cakes to start. Miso Sablefish for entree. Lemon Tart for dessert. Delicious as always, expect that I got a few very small pieces of shell in my oysters... but no biggie. 8.5/10
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #6512
I don't get it

Daeji cutlet house on coquitlam 7.5/10. i recommend (or i should've got) was the curry cutlet on rice. the portion looks bigger and not as dry as just cutlet + rice.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #6513
RS controls my life!

Yuan shanghai

9/10

New place opened up across Aberdeen. Solid food, very freshly made nd prepared. One of the best XLB i've had. The meat is hand chopped i believe so it creates a really nice texture when you bite in to it. Good meat to skin to juice ratio.

Decor is very chinese style old school. Has private room dining which i really enjoy! reminds me of eating in mainland china because pretty much wherever you go its private rooms. The rooms here are lacking a tv and private washroom though.

Will return!
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #6514

Chicago Subs on Bridgeport Road. Chicken platter.

Been meaning to try this place for a while. So good. Tender chicken, fresh salad, hummus was solid. For 8 bucks I can't complain.

9/10
Old 12-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #6515
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
chicago sub was great back in 07 when i worked nearby, glad to hear they're still going and still yummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #6516

Timber.

It's right on Robson & Jervis. Huge pole saying TIMBER. They share the same ingredients with Forage.

Opened for 2 weeks, 10+ TVs so there's tons of spacing to watch, great floor windows to people watch and some of the sofa seats were covered with Canada Post leather. A lot of wood to go with the theme of "timber".

Easy menu, decent drink menu, very west coast style.

Appetizers: deep fried cheese curds, smoked cooked pickled egg, ketchup chips, pepperoni sticks
$4 each
Deep friend cheese curds was not bad. it's unique, small bowl with wedge of lemon. worth a try.
Ketchup chips was fail. We were 1st in the place at 11 AM, and the chips were getting stale. It wasn't too ketchup tasting either.

Main course
Bison burger is HUGE and messy. full 8oz. You can double the meat if you want but that's just too big. it's messy and good. Home made ketchup. $16 ish

$24 Lobster roll / sandwich.
epic fail. bread was toasted but it was so freaking dry, wouldn't hurt to have butter or mayo. bread, 1 layer of lobster, bread, lettuce, bacon and tomato.

it was dry, lobster didn't have a crunch or enough mayo. It could have been a much better sandwich if it had a kick to it. Spicy mayo, paprika and celery would have helped a LOT.

Not bad joint to be at. woudl go back for sure cause of the open environment and such fresh new place.

7.5/10

Last edited by 6793026; 12-06-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #6517

$24 for a lobster roll?

Best lobster roll I had was in Cape Cod a few years back, at a small little pub off the highway. Cost $8. I still dream about it. Obviously they can source their ingredients much more locally, but anything over $20 for a lobster roll is insanity.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #6518

korean restaurant called bbong in coquitlam
9/10
its like a chinese / korean fusion. huge portions and very affordable n delicious. we ordered like the 4 course lunch it was around $60 plus tips between 6 people !
Old 12-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #6519
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
korean restaurant called bbong in coquitlam
9/10
its like a chinese / korean fusion. huge portions and very affordable n delicious. we ordered like the 4 course lunch it was around $60 plus tips between 6 people !
Found this awesome review on Yelp.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bbong-coquitlam

Spoiler!
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #6520

^ Lol well I guess I was lucky I didn't get any bugs in my food... A korean co worker introduced me to the restaurant today. I enjoyed it.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #6521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
$24 for a lobster roll?

Best lobster roll I had was in Cape Cod a few years back, at a small little pub off the highway. Cost $8. I still dream about it. Obviously they can source their ingredients much more locally, but anything over $20 for a lobster roll is insanity.
my bad. Lobster sandwich. so a bit "bigger" than a roll. In a way, if Joe Fortes had a lobster sandwich with real meat, 20 ish ain't bad, but yes, $8 would be a dream.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #6522
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
The Hub in Thompson, Manitoba

Solid 6/10

Had a salmon steak, rice and mashed potatos, voted best place in Thompson, MB.... doesn't mean much as there are only 10 restaurants here.

The salmon was cooked perfectly however. Shitty part of town though. I was the only patron on the bar side.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #6523

+1 for Timber.
Bison burger is good, but not the greatest.
I had the elk pie (not the exact name) and I prefer it more although the lard crust makes it very filling.
Their homemade ketchup was bomb. Nothing special about the deep fried cheese curds though. Service was alright but they forgot my appy and the food took over 30mins to prepare which seemed a tad too long
8.5/10
Old 12-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #6524
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Juniper 9/10

Had to pleasure of checking out Juniper on Main and Keefer last Friday night and it didn't disappoint. Its nice to have a restaurant actually meet the hype around its opening. I had a great whiskey sour and 2 gin cocktails I don't remember the name of , the charcuterie board (cured elk!), beet and burrata salad and the butchered hen. All dishes were well thought out, the components seemed to work well together. Definitely going back again and again until I bore myself out of it like I did with Anna Lena

Honestly would have been 10/10 had the server not forgotten about us for the last 15 mins.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #6525
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
a cock roach at bbong and i fond a cockroach at steamworks pub and restaurant

cockroaches galore

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote