REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-16-2015, 01:20 AM   #6451
God of Unce

Kirin in downtown for party of 11

7.5/10 Service
7/10 Food

Soup came out in the middle of the meal, was bland as fuck. Absolutely no flavour at all.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #6452
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604778 View Post
^^ I checked out their Twitter, it says AYCE Wings Everyday 2-6pm and 9-11pm
Wings were good. But only 3 choices, all 3 had a lot of honey/sugar. Guess that's their trick to not make you eat as much.

Even then, the first order was great, but you want to get your moneys worth, then overeat, then regret.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #6453
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Hachi Sushi in Richmond
5/10 food
6/10 service

I know this is run by just husband and wife.........I am not sure why this place gets raved reviews online.

The man can't even make a roll right; falls apart and tremendous amount of rice.

Sashimi was fresh but its like most japanese places in Vancouver also the nigiri was so small. My wife argued its cause we went close to their closing time, mind you we got there at 7 pm and this close at 9pm.

My wife and her sister says its the best and I whole hardheartedly disagree. Maybe it just me???
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #6454
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
boston pizza full rack ribs and mash potatoes and spaghetti, total was $21 for dish, meat wasn't soft but got me filled

7/10

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #6455
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
Hachi Sushi in Richmond
5/10 food
6/10 service

I know this is run by just husband and wife.........I am not sure why this place gets raved reviews online.

The man can't even make a roll right; falls apart and tremendous amount of rice.

Sashimi was fresh but its like most japanese places in Vancouver also the nigiri was so small. My wife argued its cause we went close to their closing time, mind you we got there at 7 pm and this close at 9pm.

My wife and her sister says its the best and I whole hardheartedly disagree. Maybe it just me???
Sushi rolls fall apart, yes I agree, the guy can't make rolls for shit. But...if you're gonna eat rolls, might as well go to a quasi-'japanese' restaurant for that. Not an authentic sushi restaurant where everyone eats NIGIRI. Honestly they have their $25/10 pc. chef special + 6pc. red tuna maki. Thats $2.5/piece of sushi, you don't really have an excuse to cheap out and order rolls

Nigiri is small? LOL you're expecting sushi garden portions at a place with fresh fish (you said it yourself). Good luck buddy....

Since we're on the topic of sushi hachi. I feel like the quality of the fish has gotten downhill since a couple years ago. Price hasn't changed much, I guess this where quality is affected. I remember back then when aburi toro wasn't on the menu, that shit just melts in your tongue. Now its just, plain jane. I'd go somewhere else and skip this place entirely if I was looking for good sushi
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #6456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Sushi rolls fall apart, yes I agree, the guy can't make rolls for shit. But...if you're gonna eat rolls, might as well go to a quasi-'japanese' restaurant for that. Not an authentic sushi restaurant where everyone eats NIGIRI. Honestly they have their $25/10 pc. chef special + 6pc. red tuna maki. Thats $2.5/piece of sushi, you have excuse to cheap out and order rolls

Nigiri is small? LOL you're expecting sushi garden portions at a place with fresh fish (you said it yourself). Good luck buddy....
I have been to this place on more than one occasion and previous visits the nigiri pieces was not the same as our previous visit. I do have something to compare with lol. Mind you my wife noticed the pieces are smaller than usual as well, but she said its because we went at a later time and they were closing soon.( got there at 7pm, they close at 9pm). So I call bs.

I ordered one roll to try, the Cali roll with real crab meat and it wasn't cheap, all in all not impressed.

But the wife loves that place and I just don't see the reason why.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #6457

Honestly, if you were satisfied with the sushi you got why would getting it slightly small matter that much. Quality over quantity. If quantity mattered that much sushi garden would rule the world. I guess if you're not impressed you should try a different sushi restaurant. I recommend, Taka's, Octopus Garden, and Sushi Maumi. Those are the couple joints around town I trust not to give me diarrhea . I agree sushi hachi has gotten downhill over the years. Might as well pay more money for a peace of mind.

Cioppino's:

Went at 5 because me and the gf skipped lunch and was hungry as fuck. I sat down and ordered an appi and the server repeatedly told me to hand in the menu as he will give it back to me after I'm done my appi . He REFUSED to take my order until I handed him the menu and gave me attitude, implying I did not understood his directions. I went to the manager to complain and give me a new server and Pino(sp?), the owner/chef came out to apologize after I heard him loudly bitch out the server . However, he refused to listen to my story and just went on say "customers are always right", which is kinda sweeping it under the rug since I was being more than reasonable and it shows me he is not planning to discipline the fucker any further.

Anyways, because it was couple days ago I don't remember much exact details of the food especially since it was overshadowed by the shit experience.

8.5/10 for the scallop appetizer
9.5/10 for daily special foie gras appetizer
7/10 for the lobster risotto
8/10 for the curry lamb rack which was also just a daily special
Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #6458
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Red Star for dim sum. Granville and 67th

Not that bad, but not great. Service teeters on average but falls towards the side of below average given that this is on the west side of vancouver. One of the steamed dishes cracked and a piece of ceramic ended up in our food. Guy was like, it's fine, there shouldn't be any more pieces in your food. Gave us attitude about cancelling it after we took a small bite.

6/10. All the other food was pretty average.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #6459
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,003 Times in 216 Posts

Manzo - 8/10 - Ebi Mayo - One of my favorite dishes in Vancouver. It's still crispy unlike many of the other izakaya places where the batter is all soggy and shit.

Ajisai - 9/10 - My go-to place for sushi rolls. They had blue fin toro that day. 8 bucks. But so worth it.

Pho Tam - 7.5/10 - Keep hearing how this is the 'best' pho in Vancouver. I disagree. It's decent, not worth the drive there if you're not from nearby.

Sushi Maumi - 9/10 - Just awesome. And a huge selection of not your standard fish.

Market at Shangri-la - 9/10 - It was actually my first time here. And I was impressed by their service, food, and presentation overall.

Hida Takayama at Robson Market - 6/10 - Was recommended to go here. But I would not recommend others here. There are much better ramen places in Vancouver.
prelude_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #6460
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Seasons in the Park.

9.5/10

She had the filot mignot and I had the rack of lamb.

Food was amazing and the view made it memorable.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #6461
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
Hachi Sushi in Richmond

from what i remember, the wife makes the rolls.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #6462

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
from what i remember, the wife makes the rolls.
No, husband does. They're just crap. Everything at hachi is just meh. Save your money for elsewhere
Old 10-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #6463
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
guu garden 5/10 , one of the worst ones
Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #6464
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Pho tam is overrated
Old 10-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #6465
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

lido restaurant - 10/10 pineapple buns @_@
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #6466
ZN6

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
lido restaurant - 10/10 pineapple buns @_@
Lido is nasty. But nasty is good. You ain't had pineapple buns until you had it with a slab of butter in between. If Lido is too packed, the alternative is at Parker on the same street. I think it was a brother of Lido's owner that started a place and served very similar stuff. Just a tip if that complex is a shit show.

Satay beef instant noodles, dual eggs and luncheon meat, pineapple bun with butter and a ice lemon tea.

I have been off Lido for far too long.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #6467

Hah, the only thing edible at lido is the pineapple oil. Fine, charge me $2.5 for a pineapple oil since you're the only place that makes it good. But $7 for instant noodles + $1.6 extra for cold drink, go fuck yourselfs . The price they charge for their food is ridiculous. I think its $26 for a subpar large claypot rice among other things? Really. And let's not even talk about the idiotic staff and that piece of shit stuck up owner.

Pho Tam is disgusting
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #6468
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Pho is overrated. Ramen is king.

Flame away.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #6469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Pho is overrated. Ramen is king.

Flame away.
i love both. but they have nothing in common besides noodle in soup.
that's like comparing a pasta dish and a chow mein because they both see a pan.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #6470
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
dont compare pho and ramen plz.. its apple and oranges lol
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #6471

Went to Taka's Sushi in white rock this past weekend
8.5/10
Don't get the "Mango Roll". Or probably any rolls for that matter. He serves really amazing Aburi. Ordered a random selection of Aburi: got some flounder, Wagyu , mackerel, Blue Fin o-toro, albacore toro and sablefish
Really expensive; I think I would have a much better meal at Miku if I was craving seared sushi. But it was nice to interact with the chef Taka. Originally I didn't get the flounder because I never had it and never cared for it - he suggested it to my partner and I and holy crap it was amazing. Bill came out to around $70 after tips for two people.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #6472

Are you serious, you think miku is better than Taka's? The food is so overpriced. Order any nigiri at Miku and you'll know its not worth what they charge. Although Taka san always recommends bluefin otoro for aburi, please don't. It really is such a waste of that beautiful piece of fish. Its not meant to be seared

I wish I could get full $70 all in for two at Takas . I think I eat like..$120 just for myself. #fatassproblems
Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #6473
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Pink Peppercorn - 8/10.

- Shrimp shell in my dad' soup and one dirty fork.
- Had salmon wellington for first time, tasted quite good. I usually don't like having seafood, but quite filling that I had leftovers for work lunch next day.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #6474
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Pink Peppercorn - 8/10.

- Shrimp shell in my dad' soup and one dirty fork.
- Had salmon wellington for first time, tasted quite good. I usually don't like having seafood, but quite filling that I had leftovers for work lunch next day.
Salmon Wellington always hits the spot for me! Haven't been in awhile though, how much is it now?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #6475
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Lido is nasty. But nasty is good. You ain't had pineapple buns until you had it with a slab of butter in between. If Lido is too packed, the alternative is at Parker on the same street. I think it was a brother of Lido's owner that started a place and served very similar stuff. Just a tip if that complex is a shit show.

Satay beef instant noodles, dual eggs and luncheon meat, pineapple bun with butter and a ice lemon tea.

I have been off Lido for far too long.
that was my first time going too. never had it with butter in between. oh god sounds like a heart attack LOL. will try it next time
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote