REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #6376
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
The Gastown location is more of a tourist trap. Avoid like the plague!
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #6377
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
The Ramen Butcher

Service 10/10
Food 8/10

The ramen here still isn't the best ramen in town, but still it hit the spot. The spicy gyoza here is super good though, my friend really enjoyed that.
I was very surprised at how organized and on top of things the waitresses were. However, I went on a Sunday during non peak hours, if that means anything
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #6378
RS Veteran

Interesting ratings. Quite contrary to what a lot of people have been saying.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #6379
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
10/10 might be too high or represent something way beyond that tier, but I used it to mean that I was thoroughly pleased.
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #6380
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Went to Chuchillo in Gastown/Chinatown tonight with some old friends.

We all ordered and shared:

albacore tuna ceviche
3 types of guacamole w/ tortilla chips
and some taqueria (rockfish, pulled pork, lamb and jerk chicken)

Food overall was good. The pulled pork and lamb tacos were delicious. Was kinda disappointed by the fish tacos. I was craving for some good fish tacos since coming back from Mexico.

I give it 8/10

Service was good too. Server was friendly and was always there if we needed anything. He even told us that the food and drinks will be a little longer as the dinner rush came in.

I give service a 9/10

Overall I like the place and would definitely come back again when I'm craving some mexican food.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #6381
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Annalena.
8.5/10 food
9/10 service

Had the grill octopus, lobster bisque, risotto, waygu beef.

All very delicious. My favourite was the lobster bisque so buttery. Drinks were stiff and delicious.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #6382
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Main island cafe - new fish soup noodle hk cafe opened on kingsway. Every item on the menu including the steam rice, drinks, western dishes are ripped off of Deer Garden's menu. Side dishes like deep fried wings and maggi pork chop are okay but the soup and drinks are garbage 2/10. I gave 2 because of the acceptable side dishes, but someone please alert deer garden of this and get this knock off crap outta here

Last edited by Galactic_Phantom; 08-16-2015 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Attempts to link image
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #6383
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,484 Times in 549 Posts
Wen Xin Restaurant in Burnaby - 8/10.

Food came relatively fast and everything was well seasoned. However it's always dead inside and there's no music playing so you're eating in silence.

I had the crispy salty and peppery chicken (popcorn chicken) on rice. It was only $6.95 which is pretty cheap. Side dish was some shredded kelp and steamed vegetables. Wasn't a huge fan of the kelp and the steamed vegetables were okay, chicken was fantastic.

Also had some potstickers. They were hand-made and were very juicy. The dipping sauce/Worcestershire sauce had way too much booze in it though. I just ate the dumplings plain.

Lunch specials are hidden on one page in the last couple of pages in their menu.

If you do go to this place, parking is abundant. Bring some people along, otherwise you'll be eating in awkward silence. Also they leave their door open, so flies may ruin your lunch (honestly if their doors weren't wide open, you'd think they were closed.)

TL;DR: Great, cheap food, fast service, completely dead at high noon. Libraries are louder than this place.

They're closed from the 17th August to 3rd September.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #6384
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
new glowbal restaurant location on west georgia..

terrible just terrible 5/10

food was average at best
Old 08-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #6385
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

sushi uomo 8.5/10

food came out fast, tasted fairly decent and portions weren't that bad. prices were a bit cheaper than most places too.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #6386
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Koto izakaya

3/10

got a stomach ache after eating there....
Jtseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #6387
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
inb4 food poisoning .
Old 08-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #6388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtseng View Post
Koto izakaya

3/10

got a stomach ache after eating there....
That crazy bitch owner cracks me up everytine.

Just thinking about her voice makes me laugh
Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #6389
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Katsu Burger in Seattle WA (another two locations in Lynnwood and Bellevue).

Pretty bloody amazing burgers, the patties themselves are HUGE, literally an entire deep fried breaded Japanese style pork cutlet stuck inside a burger, same with the beef patty, it's pretty thick and massive.

The burgers themselves were not the most flavourful in terms of sauces (I agree with most of the Yelp comments that the burgers need more tonkatsu sauce) however looking at it differently, it allows all the various ingredients inside the burger to really shine through (cabbage, tomato, red onions, Japanese mayo). Seriously quality meat, really fresh vegetables inside the burger and the amount of mayo used was just right.

Price-wise, I had the Ninja Deluxe which was a deep fried breaded pork cutlet with all the above mentioned ingredients plus bacon and natural cheddar for $8.95 whereas my friend had the Ohayou Gozaimasu which had a deep fried breaded beef patty (tastes way better than it sounds), natural cheddar, bacon, a fried egg plus Japanese mayo and tonkatsu sauce as well, like the Ninja Deluxe for $9.95.

I also got a pineapple matcha milkshake which tasted absolutely amazing, never knew those two things could go together but apparently they do. Was $3.95.

All in all, super filling and super worth the trip down. Was really satisfied and thought the prices were really good for the portions. Check out their Instagram for sizes of the portions, it's really huge.

9.5/10 will definitely be returning. Had a chat with the individual who is in charge of their social media while eating as well (guy happened to be doing a photoshoot of their burgers in-store) and was featured on their Instagram really nice guy.

The guys who run the place might be car guys as well judging by the stuff hanging on the walls.

[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back

Last edited by Akinari; 08-18-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #6390

Trattoria W 4th pasta tuesday $11

Truffle spag and meatballs solid 9/10 for the complete package food, service, and value. That being said, definitely not worth the $23 regular price they charge normally
Old 08-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #6391
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Heh, I went there last week for the pasta tuesday. Food was a 4/10. Service was great.
The spaghetti and meatballs was under seasoned. Overall decent.
The margherita pizza was flaming garbage. It was like a cracker someone accidentally spilled a tiny splash of tomato sauce on. There was one small sliver of mozzarella per slice. No seasoning whatsoever on it. Like none.
That was definitely the last time I'd go there. The fact that the kitchen allowed that item to go to the table is embarrassing.

The Parlour Yaletown
9/10
Me and wife split a pizza. The dirty on one half (meatball, pepperoni, onion, banana pepper) and wake and bake (prosciutto, tomato, sunny side egg) on the other.
Pizza was great, fluffy but chewy crust, perfect amount of toppings, seasoned well, and a nice garlicy crust.
Service was great, price was great.
Will probably go back in a couple weeks.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #6392

^Did you get the regular spag and meatballs or the truffle one. The regular one tastes like ass. Actually a lot of their food sucks, but I think a couple (funghi, carbonara, truffle) are a decent quick lunch, late snack for $11.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #6393
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
I got the regular one, and yeah it was not great. The pizza was what really did in the meal though. It was insane that someone could label it as food. I would have rather eaten a pizza pop. $11 bucks though I can understand giving a different pasta a try, but under seasoning is a problem with the cooks and basics of the kitchen and not the dish itself. I've got no faith in them to do better. I've had the same issue there before. Seasoning properly needs to be done in every step of the cooking. Blanching the pasta, stewing the tomato sauce, seasoning the meatballs when mixing them, etc. If someone misses steps like that, flavour will never come out properly, no matter how much salt you have at the table. All you will do is just make a bunch of salty yet still flavourless food.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #6394
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Kazu Sushi on Hastings/ Burnaby

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/kazu-japanese...rant-burnaby-2

Japanese run Japanese place.
Room for about 30 people, pretty small

Ordered Chirashi don (my go-to for trying out a new Japanese restaurant to see fish quality), real crab California roll, Crunch roll, chopped scallop roll, chicken karage, squid karage, takoyaki, spicy salmon roll, negitoro roll

Really good IMO, went with wife and friend
Not so good on the fried stuff, seemed like old oil and was too salty
Fish was very fresh, and I was very pleased with the Chirashi-don
Gets really busy here
Apparently won some best of Vancouver awards last year

8.5/10
Probably going to be my new go-to Japanese place now, just don't order fried stuff
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #6395
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
Ora sushi in steveston: 6/10

Just opened up like 3 weeks ago? Apparently some owner/management opened it up from mega sushi. The food was just fine, had a bento box for lunch. Nothing amazing (mega sushi does all the theatrics to elevate the experience) but the serving staff was horrible. BUT they were all young and brand new. Forgot my rice. Forgot tempura sauce. One even brought us the bill before we even received the food. I'll want to go again in a while to see if they improve

Tokyo joes sushi, akroyd Richmond : 7.5/10

Good old nothing fancy sushi (with more fusion rolls if you desire) for a good price. Very very friendly service and a serve your own miso soup area! What's not to like
Old 08-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #6396
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,298 Times in 955 Posts
Torafuku. It was Wed and it was packed at 6 PM. No reso and you better line up early. Communal table was cool, we sat right by the bar.

Very hip place to be right now. 7.5/10
Service 7.5/10

DIRTY BIRDY FRIED RICE – $12
Chicken liver, prawns, tofu, chilli, egg, brown rice.
This was pretty cool, the rice was not the typical asian rice and not like japanese sushi rice, which I enjoyed. Liver was deep fried overall a decent dish.

THIS IS NOT TORTELLINI – 12
Pork, shiso, ginger, garlic, scallion, angry tiger sauce.
Not bad, it's not tortellini, it's not wonton, it's a cross over. Al Dante which I appreciated, had some XO sauce on it which wasn't epic hot. Again, solid dish.

WELCOME TO THE GUN-SHOW – 12
Local mussels, tomato, coconut milk, lime, cilantro, chipotle, crispy potatoes.

This was BY far the WORSE dish. Local mussels must have been either frozen shit or handicapped mussels. I have no problem if 20-35% being empty, it was the size of the mussels that killed it; so small and not local at all. Heavy tomato sauce (very good), didn't taste any coconut milk with a good kick. Crispy potatoes was to die for, very nicely done.

KICKASS RICE 2.0 – 10
Aburi style torched pork belly with kickass rice in a box.

What I didn't like was the rice. It looks like sushi, presented like sushi, but the rice texture wasn't there. It's like using chinese hk rice as aburi. This wasn't bad. -1 pt still well balanced, aburi achieved.

Drinks must be getting MOFO expensive, i saw 16 dollars for a cocktail... damn. The bartender was busy all night and drinks are solid.

Service 7/10

We sat down, and it took 30 minutes to get my first dish. In fact, all 4 dishes came out at once. Open kitchen was great. It wasn't a gongshow kitchen, chefs were calm and they were in harmony but still... 30 minutes to get all 4 dish at once was a fail.
That 30 minutes killed it for me.

Value wasn't bad. 8/10 drinks were solid 8/10 just need to smooth out service kinks
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #6397
RS Veteran

I've been told by half a dozen or so people saying the drinks were very inconsistent, some unacceptable, however, the food was great.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:15 AM   #6398
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,298 Times in 955 Posts
^ I wonder who the bartender was. We sat in front of the bartender entire night. He easily whipped out 50+ cocktails and was passionate and really was proud of his job.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #6399
RS Veteran

I'm curious to know who was behind the bar.

Vancouver has been a leader and the forefront in churning out some amazing bartenders and the craft cocktail scene on an international level.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #6400
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm curious to know who was behind the bar.

Vancouver has been a leader and the forefront in churning out some amazing bartenders and the craft cocktail scene on an international level.
"Bar manager Max Borrowman"

DINER | Highly Anticipated "Torafuku" Eatery Opens On Main St. With Bold Izakaya Flavours | Scout Magazine

Went two weeks ago, ordered one of everything except dessert; they unfortunately ran out of the Kickass Rice 2.0.

I liked the Vegetarians Only, Kickass Veggie Risotto, and Brown Cow

I can see where people are coming from when they say the Rye So Messy Chicken Wings are good but I can't compare them to Phnom Penh; both good in their own way
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: