REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #201
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Have fun!
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #202
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Just happened to see this thread. Heading down to LA in January for the first time, and going with the wife and kid, who is just under two years old. Round trip tickets for the three of us ended up costing about $450 total, direct flight with Westjet. The normal fare was already cheap enough at $230 per adult, but I used a 20% off code on top of that.

When I was looking for a rental car, I thought it was weird that the intermediate SUV class was the cheapest option, cheaper than a compact. I found a one-week rental through Dollar for just over $200... but then I found out about car rentals through Costco Travel through a coworker, and booked the same thing with Budget for $160.

The trip was a total blank slate for us, and in the end, we decided that we'll get the 4-day Go Card for $210 each, which we're planning to use for Universal Studios, Legoland, Pacific Park at Santa Monica Pier, LA Zoo, and the Aquarium of the Pacific.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #203
The RS Freebie guru

Checked the rental car rates again the night before, and the rates had gone down even more!

Ended up with a Chevy Captiva for $134 all-in for a week.

Traffic in LA is crazy. Drove almost 500 miles.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #204
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Thinking of driving down to Lake Elsinore for Eibach 2015 in May as the Element Owners Club invited me down
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #205
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Found out LA fit expo is gonna be happening next weekend while I'm down there. Stoked!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 AM   #206
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Going down to LA end of this month. Was wondering if you guys have any tips on driving in LA. Specifically are there any roads to avoid if I want to escape traffic.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #207
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
Going down to LA end of this month. Was wondering if you guys have any tips on driving in LA. Specifically are there any roads to avoid if I want to escape traffic.
Here's a tip: Use Google Maps as your GPS if you can. Way more useful than a regular GPS without real-time traffic data.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #208
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
I'll be in LA during the Long Beach Toyota Grand Prix April 17 - 21. Where will you be going/do you have an itinerary?

As mentioned in previous posts:

- Rush hour begins at 2:30 - 3:00pm and ends at around 7:30 - 8:00pm.
- Avoid the 405 freeway during rush hour. You'll be super fucked.
- As an alternative, take Sepulveda or La Cienega Boulevard. They run parallel to the 405 (depends where you're going.)
- Avoid the 10 Freeway eastbound during rush hour. 110% guaranteed you'll be stuck in it for 2 hours.
- If you must take the 10 Freeway eastbound, try the 60 as an alternative. You'll still get stuck, but it's not as bad.
- I assume you will be travelling with at least another person. If so, take advantage of the carpool lanes. It will expedite your travels significantly. Make sure you get out of the carpool lane ahead of time in order to sweep through 6 lanes to get to your exit though. Don't cross the solid line. You'll get ass raped by California Highway Patrol like no tomorrow.

Get a Roam Mobility or T-Mobile prepaid SIM and get a data package. Use the application "Wayz" as it will provide the best alternatives in how to get to your destination in ways faster than normal.
Edit: Don't get a SIM from AT&T. Their network is the equivalent of some third-world country bullshit running on TDMA. Roam/T-Mobile's network is miles ahead since T-Mobile's acquisition of Metro PCS.

Google Maps and Nokia HERE+ maps offers the most comprehensive live traffic data so check it out. If you have an iPhone, I believe it will provide live traffic updates as well.

Hope that helps.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-03-2015 at 11:38 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'll be in LA during the Long Beach Toyota Grand Prix April 17 - 21. Where will you be going/do you have an itinerary?

As mentioned in previous posts:

- Rush hour begins at 2:30 - 3:00pm and ends at around 7:30 - 8:00pm.
- Avoid the 405 freeway during rush hour. You'll be super fucked.
- As an alternative, take Sepulveda or La Cienega Boulevard. They run parallel to the 405 (depends where you're going.)
- Avoid the 10 Freeway eastbound during rush hour. 110% guaranteed you'll be stuck in it for 2 hours.
- If you must take the 10 Freeway eastbound, try the 60 as an alternative. You'll still get stuck, but it's not as bad.
- I assume you will be travelling with at least another person. If so, take advantage of the carpool lanes. It will expedite your travels significantly. Make sure you get out of the carpool lane ahead of time in order to sweep through 6 lanes to get to your exit though. Don't cross the solid line. You'll get ass raped by California Highway Patrol like no tomorrow.

Get a Roam Mobility or T-Mobile prepaid SIM and get a data package. Use the application "Wayz" as it will provide the best alternatives in how to get to your destination in ways faster than normal.
Edit: Don't get a SIM from AT&T. Their network is the equivalent of some third-world country bullshit running on TDMA. Roam/T-Mobile's network is miles ahead since T-Mobile's acquisition of Metro PCS.

Google Maps and Nokia HERE+ maps offers the most comprehensive live traffic data so check it out. If you have an iPhone, I believe it will provide live traffic updates as well.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tips! Going to be there from the 26th-30th and staying in Anaheim (By Disneyland) so going to be renting a car out there. Getting a plan with Roam as it seems like it's the best deal with the amount of data you get. I'm going to be bringing both a Garmin and using Google Maps/HERE on my phone so I'm pretty covered there.

The plan is to pick up the car at 8-8:30 and if so would arriving in LA by 9:30-10:30 be realistic?
Lunch in Korea Town
Going to do some shopping (The Grove & Beverly Center)
Griffith Observatory
Depending on the time gonna go to Hollywood Boulevard and do some walking around
Dinner at Bäco Mercat (as recommended by you)
GF wants to look at the lamp posts at LACMA (Going there after dinner so that it's dark in case you were wondering why we don't go there earlier since we're in the area already)
Snow Monster in Westminster for dessert
Back to Anaheim
Old 04-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #210
RS Veteran

That looks like a pretty good itinerary given that you're there for a full 5 days (assuming you arrive in the morning?) And yes, if you leave Anaheim at 8:30am, you can get to LA in an hour, pending no bizarre accidents are on the freeways.

Lunch in K-Town then shopping at The Grove/Beverly Centre and the Griffith Observatory in the evening - totally doable in a day. Take your sweet time because remember rush hour traffic is nuts if you're going to be in that part of town. Heading north to the Griffith Observatory on the 5 can be a royal pain, so take your sweet time, or use "Wayz" to find an easier / alternative route.

You can easily spread out the itinerary over the days you're there so do what you feel is worthy, especially since you're staying in Anaheim. Make sure you have reservations at Baco Mercat, or sit at the bar - the service there is great. Ask the servers for their food recommendations and any cocktails to go with them. Remember - it's family style so get a few dishes and share with your gf!

Since you're in Anaheim, swing by the Anaheim Packing District. Lots of good food options there!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-04-2015 at 01:20 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #211

Arriving Sunday at 11.

First day we're going to be dropping things off at the hotel and then going to Santa Monica/Venice beach. For now the plan is to uber, but might rent a car for the first day as well instead because it might end up cheaper than taking uber both ways. Since rush hour starts around 2:30 I think we'll be hitting the rush hour traffic by the time we head out from Anaheim..

Second day in LA is gonna be spent doing what I mentioned earlier and then 2 days at Disney.

Yeah Anaheim Packing District is definitely on the list of places to go.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #212
I came, I saw, I conquered.

I will be renting a car in San Francisco, LA and Vegas in July and I was wondering if they have different traffic rules there? I heard they don't allow right turns on red. Is that true? Is there anything I should watch out for?
Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #213
RS Veteran

For sure in LA, "No Right Turns On Red" only applies when a sign specifies it. You are free to turn right on a red otherwise.

On the 10 Freeway, certain parts of the carpool lane require an RFID device in order to utilize the lane, so watch out for that. Don't get caught or stuck on it in a rental - learn from my costly mistake!

This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #214
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Will be going to LA at the end of the month. Only really get a few days to explore since we're driving down (have about a week and a half off of work). Any recommendations on things to check out/to do that won't rape my wallet too much? Will be staying in Long Beach area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #215
RS Veteran

I'm not sure what you have in mind, but if you're staying in Long Beach, check out the Aquarium of the Pacific. Pretty neat place. That, and rent a hipster bike or some fixie garbage and take a stroll down Naples.

I am going to warn you now - DO NOT go to the Walmart Supercentre north of Long Beach in Lakewood (opened 24 hours.) It's super ghetto/hood - think World Star Hip Hop 24/7 but in real life. You will regret it. (Unless you really want to see for yourself hahaha)

Old 04-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #216
Rs has made me the man i am today!

How's the weather there this week? Heading down to Disney with the family, wondering what kind of jacket to pack.

Thanks
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #217
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
How's the weather there this week? Heading down to Disney with the family, wondering what kind of jacket to pack.

Thanks
are you heading down there with any kids? Its warm enough for t-shirts during the day and at night best to wear a long sleeve
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #218
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
are you heading down there with any kids? Its warm enough for t-shirts during the day and at night best to wear a long sleeve
yes going with the little one

gonna do the muholland drive and visit the rock store
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #219

Which company has the best rate for car rentals in LA?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #220
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
Which company has the best rate for car rentals in LA?
If you have a Costco membership, check using Costco Travel: Rental Car Low Price Finder

Got the best rate from there, and I do my homework.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #221

Getting a rental when you're under 25 is the worst. Them extra fees they charge
Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #222
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Got a question about certain spot in LA - remember that viewpoint from Fast and Furious overlooking downtown LA, near Dodgers stadium? How safe is that area, esp closer to sunset?
IINur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #223

Can you guys recommend any night activities in LA?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #224
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Any good night time areas in LA? Is Santa Monica third street promenade lively at night? Any similar places in LA?
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #225
RS Veteran

Could you be more specific as to what a night time area is?