REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #51
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Thanks to bcrdukes corporate code, my underage fees were waived. The agent had to get an approval from his manager though.
I also bought some car damage insurance for $9 a day. No deductibles and He claims that I am not liable for any damages to the car.. That sounds weird but whatever, it's only a $9 coverage per day and I don't want to get dinger in case I hit a pole or something.

Venice beach had a lot of hobos.. Getty museum was interesting but not as good as our national gallery in Ottawa.
Posted via RS Mobile
Do you have a travel credit card? (RBC Avion, AMEX, TD infinite) etc. It automatically gives you car insurance. Could have saved you some money.
Advertisement
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #52
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
So what are the "Must eat" restaurants in LA?

I'm trying to plan out my trip right now. Do you guys think it's worth while making a day trip to San Diego? Anything special to see there?
For such a short stay, don't go to San Diego unless you like animals. Besides Sea World, the Zoo, Aircraft Carrier and the Mexican border, theres not much to do.
For restaraunts, +1 to what prelude_prince but the caliber of the restaurants he recommended (Spago, Madeo, Mastro's) is easily $200 for 2 people.

Which Hilton you staying at? The Beverly Hilton and the Anaheim one are very nice when I stayed. Next time however, I suggest the SLS hotel and the W. Amazing lounges and bars

Last edited by no_clue; 11-14-2010 at 08:17 PM.
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #53
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Came back from LA, here's what I have to say... *sorry for the spelling and non-structure, but I think it will be useful for those who are/will be planning*

My trip with the gf is set out for shopping, eating, sightseeing, city touristy. No Disneyland, Universal Studios, 6 flags, etc.

The places that I went to are: (ranked from most enjoyable --> least attractive)
- Lakers game - awesome experience, must go
- Kings game - another awesome experience, super affordable, even for a non-hockey fan.
- Rodeo Drive - must go
- Melrose Avenue - gay part of town, it's like a west 4th with all the cool brands (Supreme is on Fairfax)
- Robertson Avenue - behind Beverly Center Mall, another good one with brands like RR, Kitson, 7, etc.
- Starline tour - $44 per person 2 hour tour that drives around Hollywood/Beverly Hills and the tour guide tells you where famous ppl live (this also includes a free ticket to the wax museum)
- Madamme something Museum - $25 but free with the Starline tour, pretty wax models
- Kodak Theatre - Oscar stuff, red carpet, very educational
- Getty Museum - Artsy stuff, mostly European art, parking is $15 per car, no admission fees
- Some new mall in Culver City - huge mall, I think it's new
- The Grove - some random outside mall, mediocre shops though
- Venice Beach - too many hobos, but pretty good walk in a warm sunny day
- Desert Hill Outlet - only 1 hour away from Monterary Park (Richmond of LA), store names like Gucci, Dior, Jimmy Choo, Ferragamo, etc. looks promising, but they sell garbage. The drive is pretty cool though.

Places I ate at (most enjoyable to least):
- In N' Out Burger - must try, super cheap, good food.
- Santuko? - Ramen place inside Mitsuwa food courts... popular chain in Japan.
- Chinese food on Valley Road near Monterary Park - the culture is different, we wanted greens and late night. There's this place with $5.99 for 2 lobsters, it was great. The catch is that I needed to order 3 entrees... so I got Clams with Black Bean sauce (VERY BIG AND JUICY CLAMS), some beef dish, and snow peas. The bill came to $60 with tips, but it was worth it... LOL
- Johnny Rocket - old school setting, very good food as well.
- Food at Staples centre - standard concession stands crap, but the BBQ chicken pizza is not bad for $10. Don't order their hot dogs tough.

Tips:
- Rent a car, Bcruke's code works but they needed the manager to say yes for the underage fee.
- Parking is very cheap, other than at the hotels. Staples Center parking ranges from $5-$15, 5-10 min walk. The whole area is HUGE, so there's a lot to see.
- Parking at Rodeo drive is free for the first 2 hours in almost every lot
- Valet parking is very common, I just tip them $1 each time I pick up my car.
- You will need a GPS, but on the 3rd day, I kind of know how the streets work without a GPS
- Live at a hotel that has cheap valet parking, walking is really not an option in LA. Everything is far apart, but parking/valet is cheap, just not the hotels.
- the W hotel is far away from the actually Hollywood attractions/malls/etc. It's a nice hotel, but you are surrounded by the ghetto.
- i am not a party person, so living near hollywood/sunset/beverly hills is overrated for me. i rather save that money and spend it on food/shopping.

Things that I would like to do but missed:
- Paramount Studio tour - only M-F, pre-book required
- Izakaya places, although sushi is overpriced relative to Vancouver. $6 for a cucumber roll?
- Steakhouses
- High tea - need to be pre-booked
- Little Tokyo
- Probably the ghetto side of town, OC, Southern beaches

NBA All-Star game is hosted in LA this season! It would be an excellent opportunity to see all the stars... too bad the ticket prices are at least $1000 for lower sectons, too baller for my blood. :P

Last edited by TRDood; 11-20-2010 at 05:46 PM.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #54
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time (sort of.)

One tip for LA especially if you are renting from Hertz - check your credit card statements 2 to 3 months after. I just received my online statement and saw a charge from Hertz - they billed me a fuel service charge of $78 CDN when I voluntarily opt out of their fuel-up services. I received the car with a full tank of gas and returned it with a full tank of gas. Now I have to deal with Hertz to sort this out.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #55
RS Veteran

Heading down to LA this evening.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #56

Booked 2 Lakers game, 1 Kings game
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #57
RS Veteran

When you heading back?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #58

Jan 1 to Jan 5

There's nothing else better for 4-5 day trip. San Fransico's flight already cost $600-700, much rather spend the difference on entertainment.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #59
RS Veteran

You are rich.

Which airline are you flying with?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #60

That's the most economical option for 5 days :P

Westjet... I choose whatever that's the cheapest, except for flights to HK. Then I swear by Cathay Pacific despite people's rage against their seats.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #61
RS Veteran

I could not justify paying $500+ for a flight down to LA during this season.

You sir, are rich.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #62
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post

Booked 2 Lakers game, 1 Kings game
Damnnnn. . Lakers vs Memphis and Detroit games ha.... how much were the tix if you don't mind?

NBA fans will always say they had a great time once they experience a game live at the Staples center.

Just get there early and walk around..... great atmosphere

Damn you guys are making me want to go lol....
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
Damnnnn. . Lakers vs Memphis and Detroit games ha.... how much were the tix if you don't mind?

NBA fans will always say they had a great time once they experience a game live at the Staples center.

Just get there early and walk around..... great atmosphere

Damn you guys are making me want to go lol....
Grizzlies = section 117, row 15, (corner of Laker's bench, right above Laker's tunnel) about $200 each
Pistons = section 301, row 8, (upper center court) about $80 each

I bought them off ticket exchange... where season ticket holders resell their tickets on TM, so I know the tickets are real since I pick them up at the Staples Center box office.

I also looked on CL and other sites that "sells" Lakers tickets, but the mark up is actually much higher than TM. They usually mail the tickets to you so that's another turn off.

The areas is quite nice to walk around too. There's a hotel called the Ritz? and it's pretty ballinnnn' Nokia center, convention center and all the restaurants there. Other than that, there are no shops or malls.. and the financial district is dead at night.

From what I see on tv for the LBJ game on Christmas day, it seems like they built a ice skating rink... kind of interesting to check out if the rain didn't wash it off yet.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #64

^ That sounds great man.. I'm sure you'll have fun.. I still remember the first time I walked in. I was like a little kid again oozing with excitement... then I walked in and saw the court...haha...

That's a good thing to buy off "ticket exchange" as you know it's real..

I bought my tix from CL but the seller from LA brought and left the tickets in my hotel concierge few days before then met him to pay when I got to the entrance.... I guess it's all about luck..

Again.. Have FUN
Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #65
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

When I was in LA a few weeks ago, the Lakers were on a road trip. I was able to catch the Clippers vs Magic though. Paid $15 for lowerbowl tickets. Apparently no one likes watching them. But hey, $15, you can't go wrong.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
When I was in LA a few weeks ago, the Lakers were on a road trip. I was able to catch the Clippers vs Magic though. Paid $15 for lowerbowl tickets. Apparently no one likes watching them. But hey, $15, you can't go wrong.
$15 is dirt cheap for a magic game. Lower bowl as in 2xx or 1xx level?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

ok..well not the lowest...200 level then...in relation to Rogers Arena it would probably be near top of the lower bowl. Still cheap.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #68
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Me and my girl are spending 2 days in Anaheim. We're arriving on Day 1 at lunch time and staying within a hotel near Disneyland. Day 2 will be reserved for Disneyland all day and hanging out in Disney Downtown all night. Looking for suggestions on what attractions worth checking out outside of Disneyland to fulfill our Day 1.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #69
RS Veteran

You can hit up the malls in the surrounding cities such as Garden Grove or Costa Mesa. That or hit up a Vietnamese cafe.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #70

Just came back from LA

saw David Beckham, Tom Hanks, Vince Vaughn at Staples Center

Bullet-proof windows at Jack in the Box LAX?

I see this sign everywhere... wtf?

Coolest parking lot I have seen, and there's a machine that searches your car too!

Last edited by TRDood; 01-06-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #71
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

How long would one recommend for a vacation to LA?
Would 8~9 days be enough for LA + Las Vegas (driving to and from LA to Las Vegas)?
Heavy_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #72

^ depends on what you want to do man? I think 9 days is enough for both 3-4 days vegas then rest LA. It all depends what you plan on doing in LA. It's about 2-3 hr drive so it's not bad
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #73
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Plan to visit all the tourist attractions like Hollywood, Warner Bros and Disney Land. Which area and hotel would be the best to stay at to avoid spending too much time on the road?

MDR and LAX area seems to be the central (1 hour within everywhere)

Also, for car rental, are you required to purchase insurance?

Please share some of your experiences. TIA

Last edited by Heavy_user; 01-15-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Heavy_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #74
Rs has made me the man i am today!

How does renting a car with insurance work in the states for Canadians over 25 yrs old?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #75
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
How does renting a car with insurance work in the states for Canadians over 25 yrs old?
Hmmm...I don't quite understand your question. Could you elaborate on your question, please?

This post thanked by: