REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #151
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ okay after reading thread , not staying in downtown
Advertisement
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #152
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Staying near LAX has it's benefits. You're close to the Pacific Coast Highway, 105 and 405 Freeways so you can go anywhere you need to go, but having said that, the same applies to anywhere you stay. There are some disadvantages staying near LAX. For example, if you want to head down into OC, it's just THAT much further and you have to deal with traffic on the 5, 57,10 and 405 freeways. It's an absolute pain in the ass. Trust me on this one. That and parking is NOT free at LAX hotels unless it's part of your package. There are no "good" restaurants within walking distance of LAX. One wrong turn and you're in Inglewood and it's not a place you want to be after dark. You either drive northbound or southbound on Sepulveda within El Segundo or Manhattan Beach for some food options or you take the PCH into Marina Del Rey/Venice which is at least a good 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic.

Yeah, don't stay in Downtown LA. You could try some hotels near Little Tokyo or the Art's District so you have some food options at night, but even then, some places are an absolute dump and not safe to walk around at night. And if somebody in these areas says they like your shoes, you better be prepared to give them up.

What do you have planned? Maybe that would give us a better idea of where to suggest. (I spend a lot of time in LA so I know the area pretty well.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-13-2013 at 01:20 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #153

^ based on this thread and just from people telling me, I'm going with the gf for about 6 days.

- Planning to spend 1-2 days in disneyland.
- Go to lakers game for sure and depending on prices an LA kings or clippers.
- rodeo drive
- santa monica / piers and beaches
- observatory
- paramount studio

appears most places im going are around beverly hills area. so probably thats where I'll be staying.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #154
RS Veteran

^
Westwood / Beverly Hills is probably your best bet but if you're going to spend 1 or 2 full days in Disneyland, I would suggest maybe staying at a hotel in that area for a few days, then move to a closer hotel of your choice. I say that because by the end of the day, the drive back to LA from Anaheim is going to be a pain in the ass. And by that, I mean you WILL be stuck on the 5 or the 405 freeways for hours. There are also a lot of amazing dining options near Disneyland. Try going to some of the Vietnamese restaurants in Garden Grove and Westminster. Some of the most amazing Vietnamese food I"ve ever had. If you're feeling adventerous, try The Boiling Crab on Brookhurst in Garden Grove for something fun and different.

Don't forget to give some of the hotels in Venice, El Segundo, and Manhattan Beach a try.

Here's a tip for you when you're going to a Lakers game, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica etc: Avoid the 405 like the plague during rush hour. If you must, take Sepulveda or La Cienega Blvd. They run parallel to the 405 and it's local traffic, but you will at least NOT be stuck in that mess of a gridlock!

Here's an alternative option: Try www.airbnb.com. I've used it several times and it works out well for situations like yours.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #155
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Has anyone stayed at the hotel "Mr. C"? Beverly Hills Hotels California | Mr. C Hotel Beverly Hills | Los Angeles Luxury Hotels
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #156
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
^ based on this thread and just from people telling me, I'm going with the gf for about 6 days.

- Planning to spend 1-2 days in disneyland.
- Go to lakers game for sure and depending on prices an LA kings or clippers.
- rodeo drive
- santa monica / piers and beaches
- observatory
- paramount studio

appears most places im going are around beverly hills area. so probably thats where I'll be staying.
Universal Studios and Huntington beach is good too.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #157

So I'm heading to LA on June 7th -10th with my GF, staying at the Thompson in Beverly Hills. I'm landing at LAX, leaving out of Burbank. I have a couple scenarios maybe one of you could chime in;

We're thinking about going to Disneyland for the day on Sunday. I don't want to stay in Anaheim so I'm thinking to drive out to Disneyland early morning from Beverly Hills, spend the entire day at Disneyland and than drive back to Beverly Hills late Sunday night. The other option is canceling the last night at the Thompson and booking a hotel in Burbank, that way we can leave Disnelyland late, get to Burbank and not stress about fighting traffic on Monday.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #158
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
So I'm heading to LA on June 7th -10th with my GF, staying at the Thompson in Beverly Hills. I'm landing at LAX, leaving out of Burbank. I have a couple scenarios maybe one of you could chime in;

We're thinking about going to Disneyland for the day on Sunday. I don't want to stay in Anaheim so I'm thinking to drive out to Disneyland early morning from Beverly Hills, spend the entire day at Disneyland and than drive back to Beverly Hills late Sunday night. The other option is canceling the last night at the Thompson and booking a hotel in Burbank, that way we can leave Disnelyland late, get to Burbank and not stress about fighting traffic on Monday.

Any suggestions?
I would do option 2. I was in LA mid feb ish and traffic on Monday and Friday is the worst. Rather not stress over missing your flight and enjoying your time at Disneyland.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #159
I came, I saw, I conquered.

I would skip Disneyland and go to Six Flags Magic Mountain instead.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #160
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Anyone use duke's Enterprise coupon code from the first page recently? I entered it now to get rid of the underage fee but it still shows up on their site. Can anyone confirm if they waive it in person?
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #161
RS Veteran

I believe they waive it in person. To be safe, call them and ask.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #162

heading to LA for the weekend, what restaurants would you guys recommend in the Beverly Hills area?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #164
RS Veteran

Dine @ The SLS Beverly Hills

Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #165

^
I got reservations at The Bazaar, have you dined here?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #166
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Going to LA again July 6-11. Looking for some of the hidden GEM/must eat places in LA area (also going to anaheim/disney for a day)
Old 06-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #167
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
^
I got reservations at The Bazaar, have you dined here?
No. Made a reservation but ended up having Mexican food with my family haha

Old 06-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #168
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Holy snarkies in LA Hollywood and it smokes donkey balls.
Air bnb a villa but no a/c in a middle of a heat wave!

Went to Drais on Friday. Way too uhhhh "urban".
Went to ktown booking club - snotty k girls who think they r hot shit
Went to after hours k town karaoke - pretty fun cuz got an Italian hostess girl who was a singer / songwriter
Sat went to Santa Monica third street promenade- tourist trap
BOA steak house dinner - not bad good west coast feel
ICON night club - Gossip night club on steroids
Late night taco truck - oh sweet baby Jesus

I'd rather be in Vegas ...
Posted via RS Mobile
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #169
RS Veteran

lulz

Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #170
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
Looking for some details about Glendale/Burbank Area, hopefully anyone with experience could help me out.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread about it but hopefully some of you can chime in.

Recently got a job position in Glendale, pending work visa ATM, looking for a place to live in a decent area. I don't know much around that area (first hand), so pretty much don't wanna get gang graped first day nomsayin'. Workplace is based off the 134/Ventura Freeway in Burbank.

I've lived in port moody most my life so I know its a big change but hopefully have a somewhat decent area to live in like port moody.

If anyone has any experience in that area or could recommend a place, I would love to hear from you either in this thread or in an PM. Just looking for any knowledge of those areas. (and yes, I have googled the area and read up on it, just looking for any other insight.)

Thank you!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #171
RS Veteran

Glendale is pretty nice overall. My understanding is that Glendale has a big Armenian population (just a fact, nothing else.) It's a pretty quiet city in LA so you should be fine. Burbank is more or less the same. The likelihood of you being "gang raped" isn't that high hahaha. Like any city, there are good and bad parts.

Your best bet for now is to ask your future employer for recommendations on where to live. It's likely that most of your colleagues will commute a good 20 miles+ to get to work. Just make sure you stay out of the hood like Compton and Inglewood. I would highly recommend you spend the time/money to go down there before making a huge move and to get a feel of what you're getting yourself into. I'll be back in LA in August and in September. My family has a restaurant in Studio City and the rent there is reasonable ($800 - $1600 depending on size / location / amenities etc.) It's not "far" from Glendale/Burbank. A lot of professionals who work in the film/entertainment industry live in the area because CBS Studios is there. Neighbouring Glendale to the east is Pasadena which is also a nice neighbourhood.

Congrats on the new gig! You'll like it down there. I'm down there often enough so perhaps we could meet up! I believe another RS member is in Pasadena for school right now (I think jmvdesign.)

Edit: If you need help with housing, check out www.zillow.com and www.redfin.com

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-15-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #172
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Did you get a job with a major entertainment company?

I recommend Hollywood area if you're young and want to be closer to the fun of LA, helps with networking. Not bad of a commute if you take the 101.
I like Santa Monica and Venice beach, the 405 is not bad for commuting to Burbank as well. Plus Santa Monica is much much cooler in the summer compared to the rest of LA! but more $$$

Congrats on your job! Remember your MPH and Fahrenheit conversions!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #173
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Glendale is pretty nice overall. My understanding is that Glendale has a big Armenian population (just a fact, nothing else.) It's a pretty quiet city in LA so you should be fine. Burbank is more or less the same. The likelihood of you being "gang raped" isn't that high hahaha. Like any city, there are good and bad parts.

Your best bet for now is to ask your future employer for recommendations on where to live. It's likely that most of your colleagues will commute a good 20 miles+ to get to work. Just make sure you stay out of the hood like Compton and Inglewood. I would highly recommend you spend the time/money to go down there before making a huge move and to get a feel of what you're getting yourself into. I'll be back in LA in August and in September. My family has a restaurant in Studio City and the rent there is reasonable ($800 - $1600 depending on size / location / amenities etc.) It's not "far" from Glendale/Burbank. A lot of professionals who work in the film/entertainment industry live in the area because CBS Studios is there. Neighbouring Glendale to the east is Pasadena which is also a nice neighbourhood.

Congrats on the new gig! You'll like it down there. I'm down there often enough so perhaps we could meet up! I believe another RS member is in Pasadena for school right now (I think jmvdesign.)

Edit: If you need help with housing, check out Real Estate, Homes for Sale and Apartments in the United States | Zillow and Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin
Wow, thanks man, really appreciate the help. yeah i'm trying to read up on this thread as much as I can.I don't mind commuting, if its close enough, i'll grab a road bike to start off with then if it becomes too much of a hassle then i'll switch to a bike/car. this really depends on where I live though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Did you get a job with a major entertainment company?

I recommend Hollywood area if you're young and want to be closer to the fun of LA, helps with networking. Not bad of a commute if you take the 101.
I like Santa Monica and Venice beach, the 405 is not bad for commuting to Burbank as well. Plus Santa Monica is much much cooler in the summer compared to the rest of LA! but more $$$

Congrats on your job! Remember your MPH and Fahrenheit conversions!
Thanks man!

It's with Disney/Pixar. Its for 3D/2D Animation but boring shit like environments and stuff nothing too special. Yeah, Hopefully I'll be moving in Fall since the building that i'll be working in is almost done. I'll be visiting down there just to get a feel of the place like bcrdukes advised. I'll try and catch up on this thread and see if I have any more questions on what to do.

If anyone else is willing to share some living experiences with me, I'm all ears!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #174
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm planning a quick short trip to Cali in November (7-12). Might drive down to seattle and fly from there it's a $177 round trip.

I wanted to spend a couple days in San Fran and then the rest in LA. I didn't realize it was the same time that the Canuck's do their cali road trip so I might try and watch the games that they play.

It's a pretty short notice vacataion so I'll probably be heading there by myself. Is it generally a bad idea to wander around alone? I don't really want to get mugged lol.

Planning on using Airbnb for the place to stay in both sanfran and la and might get a rental in LA (staying 4 days).
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #175

I stayed in beverly hills, and I walked around alone at 1:00 am cause I was hungry so walked to Ralphs?? - kinda like a safeway type grocery store. i remembered it was a pretty far walk at that time. I didn't feel unsafe at all. But then again i'm it was in beverly hills.

Rental car is a must in LA. traffic is a bitch though.