REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #176
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
It's a pretty short notice vacataion so I'll probably be heading there by myself. Is it generally a bad idea to wander around alone? I don't really want to get mugged lol.
Depends on where you plan on staying. Until you have an idea of where, it'll be kind of hard to answer your question. You may not get mugged unless you're absolutely asking for it. But as always, I've always suggested against staying directly in places like Inglewood, Compton, South Central and certain parts of Long Beach.

Make sure you get a rental. You can't really get around LA without a vehicle.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #177
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Hey guys,

I'm planning a quick short trip to Cali in November (7-12). Might drive down to seattle and fly from there it's a $177 round trip.

I wanted to spend a couple days in San Fran and then the rest in LA. I didn't realize it was the same time that the Canuck's do their cali road trip so I might try and watch the games that they play.

It's a pretty short notice vacataion so I'll probably be heading there by myself. Is it generally a bad idea to wander around alone? I don't really want to get mugged lol.

Planning on using Airbnb for the place to stay in both sanfran and la and might get a rental in LA (staying 4 days).
I'm doing a cali trip as well from nov 7 -11 for the canucks games.

Anyone know any must see places/places to eat at? staying in downtown LA for the days
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #178
RS Veteran

If you're staying in DTLA and you want some dessert, check out The Pie Hole in the Arts District. Try their maple custard pie. There's also Wurstkuche across from them. Some interesting hot dogs I'd have to say and a great selection of beers.

Not a "must eat" but I really like the gin & tonic at the Blue Cow Kitchen & Bar in Bunker Hill. Parking can be tricky. Enter the garage on Olive Street (California Plaza.) Ask them for a parking voucher. Free for the first two hours. Food and service have been consistently great of the times I've been.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #179
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

First Trip to LA

Doing a Disney Land trip + LA Beach with my girlfriend (6days 5 nights)

I was thinking going to Disney Land (3days) first day after landing in LAX (staying at a hotel in Anaheim, closer Disney Land) then last 3 days staying at a beach hotel somewhat closer to LAX

Anyone have suggestion on Hotels in Anaheim and somewhat closer to LAX?

I also heard DT LA is pretty bad, which area should I avoid going?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #180
RS Veteran

Somewhere closer to LAX - Check out the hotels in Venice and El Segundo. Choices are somewhat limited but they are very close to LAX without taking the 405. If you're willing to travel a little further and spend a bit more, check out the hotels in Santa Monica. You could stay at the hotels at LAX but uhh...the area is kind of dull and boring.

Areas to avoid: Bits and pieces of Long Beach, Compton, Inglewood, South central, East LA. DT LA is ok but don't walk around at night beyond the Arts District and the Bunker HIll area. The rule of thumb in DTLA (and only DTLA) is - if it looks and feels sketchy, it probably is. The Arts District and Japantown is fine at night. Lots of life in the neigbourhoods full of restaurants, bars, and pubs etc.

Sorry, no real suggestion for hotels in Anaheim. Good luck. Most of them are fine from what I understand.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #181
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

By the way, planning to rent a car there. Any neighbourhood to stay away from? My dam GPS always takes me through these small streets and don't want to end up in the wrong hood.
ed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #182
RS Veteran

First post on the top of this page summarizes where NOT to go to.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #183
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I like this map, gives you a general idea what areas are "bad".

L.A. Crime Maps - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #184
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Someone asked how dangerous would it be going in to compton and taking a picture of the compton Bl sign?
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #185
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,596 Times in 540 Posts
If anyone is in LA march 23 - 5pm, i might have one extra ticket to the ducks vs panthers game (yes LUONGO, and yes free)

Last edited by snowball; 03-19-2014 at 02:27 AM.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #186
RS Veteran

Visiting my family for a few weeks.

Any questions or stuff you'd like to me check out on your behalf - let me know!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #187
I subscribe to Revscene

anyone recommend night clubs on a saturday night?
will be going to LA later this month and then mid week heading over to san diego
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #188
I subscribe to Revscene

suggestion on places to eat around LA is good too!
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #189
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Check out Kogi and say hi to Roy Choi

We only clubbed at ExchangeLA. Pretty big multilevel club. We did bottle service so we had a sweet view of the entire dance floor below us
Posted via RS Mobile
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #190
RS Veteran

Fundamental LA
1303 Westwood Blvd (very small sign, if at all so keep an eye out for it.)

Lunch - get the $1 add on for salad or chips. Think of this place as Meat and Bread, but personally, I think it's better.
Dinner - Make a reservation and let them know you're from out of town, visiting the restaurant upon recommendation. The menu changes weekly but you will be getting a fresh meal. I believe they have a $35 price-fixe menu but your mileage may vary.

Parking: Street parking. Bring change or park on the residential streets if you don't mind a 1 - 2 block walk.
Service: Wasn't bad but a little casual. Staff and owner are very friendly. Feel free to chat it up with them to learn more about the food and influences.
Price: Nothing baller not cheap. A good lunch would cost $10 - $14 depending on what you get. Dinner is more, of course. Accepts cash and credit.
Clientele: More affluent folks given that it's in Westwood and a lot of researchers since UCLA is literally down the street. You don't need your $3000 D&G suit to eat here. It's very casual.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-11-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #191
RS Veteran

For some reason, I can't edit my post above.

Check out Bäco Mercat - Josef Centeno
I just had dinner earlier with family and friends. The food here is amazing and is meant to be shared.

We sat at the bar and it was a full house as we couldn't make reservations in time (highly recommended btw.) Service here is top notch - everyone has their A-game on. The drinks prepared by the bar staff were VERY generous with their portions. Highly skilled and they have their technique down. Feel free to chat them up, asking them about their prep methods and even the food - they are very confident in their recommendations and know their stuff inside and out.

Parking can be a bitch so it's street only or surrounding parking lots in the area so make sure you have change or credit card ready. Be careful after dark because downtown LA turns all hood and the freaks come out. All in all, amazing place. Highly recommended. There is NOTHING on that menu I wouldn't recommend!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #192
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
BCR Dukes!

give me the ultimate guide to 626
what to do, what to eat.

Spending 3-4 days
will have a car.

I want to go to the DTLA nightmarket
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #193
RS Veteran

There's not a whole lot to do in the 626 besides eat and drink bubble tea. It's like Richmond, but bigger except the food is nowhere close to HK/Richmond.

Look for the Fung Brothers on YouTube. They've done a lot of 626 restaurant reviews.

Edit: Here -

Their recommendations are actually pretty good. Try Savoy, Factory Tea Bar and Nem Nuong Ninh Hoa.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-23-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #194
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
Dukes, Is there free parking at the DTLA nightmarket?
or is like pay parking like Richmond Nightmarket?
or is there no parking at all?
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #195
RS Veteran

It's pretty much pay parking everywhere.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #196

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
so i booked my trip. staying close the airport because i cant be bothered to stay in the "hip" area's of LA. doesn't matter anyways, ill just be coming back to the hotel to sleep. majority of the time ill be driving around. i rented with silvercar because renting anything from the other rental companies is pointless. its $85/day for a full load audi a4 with nav that uses google maps and the cars got its own wifi hotspot. i've never actually had a chance to cruise around LA before so this going to be awesome. i've been to san diego, san fran, san jose, sacramento and other parts of northern cali before. so im no stranger to cali. i also plan on driving around through compton and inglewood . no fucking way im going anywhere near watts though...
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #197
RS Veteran

Just wanted to follow up on this thread.

Quite a handful of people have PM'd me asking for clubbing recommendations. I haven't been clubbing in LA and my cousins haven't been in ages, so we're "behind" on the scene if you will. I would recommend Google searching for suggestions.

In any case, I'm here in LA right now and have noticed there are a lot of new and regional/local "night markets" that have been popping up as of late. Check out sites like the LA Times and whatnot for the latest and greatest, as well as The OC Register for details (food/events/stuff to do etc.)

Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #198
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
scored a return flight for $290

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #199
RS Veteran

Bumping thread, but if any people are looking to get a "sample" of what Los Angeles has to offer in terms of food and culture, a great place to stop at is the Grand Central Market in Downtown LA. Similar to Granville island, but excellent food options. You can try a bit of everything from Mexican, a Jewish deli, California meats/delis, an oyster bar, West Coast LA inspired cuisine and a hipster coffee bar and much more.

If you do hit this place up, try to avoid it during weekends - it gets crazy and out of control. During the weekday, avoid the lunch rush. It gets hectic as well, but nowhere near as bad as the weekend.

Pro-tip - Do not park in the parking lot at the market. It gets VERY expensive. Try parking a block or two away at the off-site parking lots where it costs $5 or so for a flat-rate.

Edit: I'll be back in LA during Chinese New Year 2015 if anybody plans on coming down. I'll be a the Walt Disney Concert Hall in DTLA on the 20th. Would be cool to grab a drink nearby with some RS'ers!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #200

I'm going to LA February 6th til 12 with the GF. Thanks for the tip bcrdukes, we were actually already planning to go to that market.