REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #8301
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Good luck to Jovocop was always a good solider for the Canucks and great guy off the ice. Apparently no athlete has comeback successfully from this procedure. I still remember what a hip injury like this did to Bo Jackson

Quote:
‘I don’t think it’s ever happened’: Jovanovski cleared for remarkable comeback attempt
Mike Halford Jan 3, 2014, 2:40 PM EST

At 37, Ed Jovanovski is attempting an unprecedented comeback.

Jovanovski, sidelined since March after undergoing major hip surgery, has been cleared to play on Saturday when the Panthers host the Predators in Florida.

In doing so, the Panthers captain could become a pioneer.

Jovanovski is trying to come back from hip resurfacing, a procedure consisting of placing a metal cap over the femur and a matching metal cup in the pelvic socket. It’s less invasive than a complete hip replacement (because more of the femur is left intact), but still a significant procedure.

According to the Sun-Sentinel, returning from said procedure is uncharted territory:

It’s believed that no athlete from any of the four major professional sports has ever come back successfully after this relatively new procedure.

Former Lightning center Tim Taylor underwent hip resurfacing at 37 after the 2007 season and never played another NHL game. Bo Jackson, an NFL and MLB star, had a hip replacement in 1991 and was forced to retire at 29.

“I don’t think it’s ever happened,” said Dr. Audie Rolnick, a Plantation hip replacement surgeon, who doesn’t do resurfacing.

“Hockey of all sports, has a huge amount of stress on the joint and the hips, so I think it’s going to be pretty rough for him at 37 to come back. His skating will be fine, but it’s the crashing into the boards and other players crashing into him. The crashes will loosen up the prosthesis and cause pain.

“I would never let anyone go back to playing a sport like this.”

(Here’s a piece on Rangers pitcher Colby Lewis trying to come back from the same procedure.)

Panthers GM Dale Tallon praised Jovanovski’s dedication and hard work to getting back on the ice, especially since Jovanovski’s career appeared to be in jeopardy after missing 83 of Florida’s last 89 games.

“[Jovanovski] worked extremely hard during his extensive rehabilitation process,” Tallon said. “[He] should be commended for his diligent efforts both on and off the ice.”

Florida’s coach, Peter Horachek, is unsure how Jovanovski’s comeback will pan out.

“The way he practices he looks ready,” Horachek explained. “You’re kind of working on [uncharted] ground that hasn’t been worked on before with this surgery.”
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #8302
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
WOW good on him for working so hard I so hope he can make a come back. Even if it's only a couple games or rest of the season at least he can get the satisfaction that he tried his hardest to get back on the ice and was able to play for a couple more games rather then going out with an injury.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #8303
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Torts talks to the media about our awful powerplay (ranked 26th) and possibility of Lou's return to play this weekend:

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...528027&catid=6
Old 01-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #8304
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Shanny gets it right for once: $10,000 fine to Lupul for his cross-check to Eaves. One less pair of tailored jeans for him this month.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #8305
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

right? it was missing a suspension
Old 01-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #8306
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Lupul is a piece of shit.

Anyways, remember 2006 when we chose to take bottom 6ers like Kris Draper instead of offensive players because they "couldn't play in the bottom 6" and then we proceeded to get shut out in 3 of our 6 games en route to a 7th place finish?

You take the best players, period.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #8307
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Torts talks to the media about our awful powerplay (ranked 26th) and possibility of Lou's return to play this weekend:

Raw: Tortorella 01.03.14 Video - NHL VideoCenter - Vancouver Canucks
I'm not sure if he still does this but in NY torts didn't touch the powerplay he left it all to Mike Sullivan who torts brought with him, NY had a TERRIBLE powerplay under him even with Gaborik, Nash, Richards etc thank god he's gone if theres been one bright spot about Vigneault its the PP they went from 23rd last year (they spent most the year in the bottom 5 for PP %) to 9th as of right now with Vigneault
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #8308
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
When discussing players, shit will be said. The biggest mistake the execs for team USA made was letting the media in on their discussions.
I thought their biggest mistake would be making decisions based on what they dreamt.

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #8309

- Lupul receives an un-called elbow moments earlier from Kindl.
- He goes to Eaves thinking it was him, leaning forward looking to give a physical response.
- Then he cross-checks Eaves in the shoulder which glances off and strikes him primarily in the neck. This earns him a 2min penalty.
- As Eaves falls and strikes the ice, Lupul immediately turns to see if he is ok, implying a lack of malicious intent.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #8310

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
I didn't think Lupul's cross check there looked that bad. There have been far worse incidents that went unpunished.

At least the NHL has remained consistent on being inconsistent!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #8311
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^^
Malicious intent or not, a cross-check to the head (or any hit, for that matter) warrants a suspension. This isn't 1998 where you can smoke a guy in the face and expect no supplemental discipline. You may not like it, but it's the way the league needs to handle headshots going forward if they want to avoid more legal action. I just wish the NHL would wake up and just hand them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Lupul is a piece of shit.

Anyways, remember 2006 when we chose to take bottom 6ers like Kris Draper instead of offensive players because they "couldn't play in the bottom 6" and then we proceeded to get shut out in 3 of our 6 games en route to a 7th place finish?

You take the best players, period.
This is the truth. Although not an issue with Canadian teams (most of the time), chemistry must play a part in selection too (i.e. no "me-me-me" players). With that said, when I read that Kunitz might make the team based on his chemistry with Sid I almost fainted. Crosby and Team Canada seemed to do just fine without Kunitz in 2010, so if he makes it in lieu of a more "elite" player I'm going to cry.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #8312
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

lupul is still a piece of shit

This post FAILED by:
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #8313

The head wasn't the primary point of contact, it was the neck which took much of the impact. Even then it really was a glance off the shoulder.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #8314

keep on thinking that there was no malice in his response
Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #8315
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
The head wasn't the primary point of contact, it was the neck which took much of the impact. Even then it really was a glance off the shoulder.
"I'm sorry I was aiming for his shoulder but missed and hit his neck instead, at least it wasn't his head right?"
Old 01-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #8316

The funny thing is that Bobby Ryan is a better skater than Corey Perry, the Sedins, and a number of other players that are locks for the Olympics.

The Sedins were over 2 points per game in the World Championships last spring on international ice.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #8317

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
"I'm sorry I was aiming for his shoulder but missed and hit his neck instead, at least it wasn't his head right?"
It dislocated Eaves' jaw and he is experiencing concussion-like symptoms.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....es_has_hi.html
Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #8318
My homepage has been set to RS

Bouncing Bettys' homer-ism is reaching John Garrett levels here. Definite malice in Lupul's response, whether he meant to hit Eaves in the neck/head or not.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #8319

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
keep on thinking that there was no malice in his response
^I will. Players will often immediately respond physically to elbows, hits, slashes, etc. Some players end up receiving retaliatory penalties for their response. No denying the cross-check wasn't deserving of the penalty or the results of it weren't unfortunate. But it is part of the game. That is unless you are wishing to see the NHL give out suspensions for all 2 minute minors.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #8320
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
^I will. Players will often immediately respond physically to elbows, hits, slashes, etc. Some players end up receiving retaliatory penalties for their response. No denying the cross-check wasn't deserving of the penalty or the results of it weren't unfortunate. But it is part of the game. That is unless you are wishing to see the NHL give out suspensions for all 2 minute minors.

I don't know if you play/played hockey, but a simple two hand across the ankles would have been much more sufficient rather than a cross check to the head
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #8321

I did play and if someone elbowed me in the head like Kindl did, I might have given a cross-check to the shoulder like Lupul did.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #8322

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Who takes the spot over Kesler? There isn't much depth in talent for the Americans
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
And tthere's no way Kesler stays on the 1st for the Americans. I don't think he's good enough
Posted via RS Mobile
Joe Pavelski
Old 01-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #8323

Quote:
I did play and if someone elbowed me in the head like Kindl did, I might have given a cross-check to the shoulder like Lupul did.
Except it wasnt the shoulder but the neck
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #8324
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
I don't know if you play/played hockey, but a simple two hand across the ankles would have been much more sufficient rather than a cross check to the head
And who better to learn the 2 hand chop from than Kessel the little bish
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #8325
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Awesome first semi-final in WJC.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
Closed Thread