REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Charcoal VS. Propane (https://www.revscene.net/forums/131461-charcoal-vs-propane.html)

EuroTRASH 06-06-2003 07:48 AM

Charcoal VS. Propane

Which do you prefer? I'm a big fan of charcoal because I think the flavour is much better, but that's just me. If i'm in a hurry or i'm lazy, or I'm just doing something small, I usually just throw it on the gas grill, any other time, it's charcoal. Also, post any comments, reasons, etc.

Also, anyone think it's weird to have one bbq of each type?

SkinnyPupp 06-06-2003 10:14 AM

Charcoal for sure, but it's a pain to maintain proper heat, and it dies down too quickly sometimes.

Most people do NOT know how to use propane barbecues (they leave the gas running while cooking food.. I even saw someone use a propane bbq with NO BRICKS - just cooking over the burning propane.. YUMMY!!!!!)

Charcoal is more portable, so you can bring it to the beach, etc. Propane is easier to manage, and more handy.

Charcoal gives it a better flavour though

ShyGuy 06-06-2003 10:43 AM

Meh...all tastes the same to me...if you use lava rocks in your propane BBQ, then it's pretty similar.

misteranswer 06-07-2003 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SkinnyPupp

Most people do NOT know how to use propane barbecues (they leave the gas running while cooking food.. I even saw someone use a propane bbq with NO BRICKS - just cooking over the burning propane.. YUMMY!!!!!)

you're suppose to turn it off? o_O

SkinnyPupp 06-07-2003 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by misteranswe
you're suppose to turn it off? o_O
Of course! You're supposed to heat the bricks/lavarocks and cook off the heat they retain... Not cook over propane fuled flame *yuck!*

ShyGuy 06-07-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SkinnyPupp
Of course! You're supposed to heat the bricks/lavarocks and cook off the heat they retain... Not cook over propane fuled flame *yuck!*
What?! I'm pretty sure you use the bricks/lavarocks and have the gas going all the time....everyone cooks it like that!

EuroTRASH 06-07-2003 12:48 PM

i'd say it depends on how much you're bbqing and the temp outside...for just myself or like up to maybe...4 ppl, i shut it off or leave it really low...when it's a crowd, i leave it on cuz we are usually bbqing massive amounds of food :D

SkinnyPupp 06-07-2003 12:51 PM

Try closing the lid, and letting it get really hot.. Lava Rock is used because it hold heat VERY well - WAY more than Charcoal... So really you're just wasting gas if you keep the flames on... Let the rocks get hot, they'll stay that way for a long time. If they cool down, stop cooking food, and let it heat up for 5-7 minutes again.

misteranswer 06-09-2003 12:36 AM

but what about that flame broiled goodness?

PRE-LUDACRIS 06-09-2003 04:02 PM

Just thought I'd get an opinion from a true BBQ pro !
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...d/fbf69417.jpg

nipples 06-10-2003 03:55 AM

i'm pretty sure u're supposed to leave the fire on...this isnt stonegrill here...it's BBQ.

orange7 06-12-2010 10:14 AM

I'm still a little confused between the two types of bbq.

so let me get this straight.

Propane

PROS:
-heats up quicker
-lavarocks can hold the heat very well

CONS:
-propane w/ lavarocks cost more than charcoal

Charcoal

PROS:
-better taste from the charcoal

CONS:
-takes longer to heat up
-charcoals don't hold the heat very well
-hard to control heat

i'm a newb. :haha:

I'm deciding between which one to get. So far, it seems like the charcoal ones are going to be more of a hassle.

!Aznboi128 06-12-2010 10:15 AM

this thread is from 03!

I like propane and propane accessories hahahaha

orange7 06-12-2010 10:18 AM

bcrdukes 06-12-2010 11:23 AM

If you can get a BBQ with propane where it has provisions for you to use charcoal or lava rocks, that would be the best of both worlds. I would personally prefer charcoal however, a lot of people these days don't have the patience to get charcoal going. As for charcoal not holding heat in well, you should close the lid on your BBQ. It gets hot pretty fast but how often are you going to have an 8 hour BBQ?

Soundy 06-12-2010 11:32 AM

http://media.nextautos.com/images/KoHPropane_300.jpg

orange7 06-12-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6988897)
If you can get a BBQ with propane where it has provisions for you to use charcoal or lava rocks, that would be the best of both worlds. I would personally prefer charcoal however, a lot of people these days don't have the patience to get charcoal going. As for charcoal not holding heat in well, you should close the lid on your BBQ. It gets hot pretty fast but how often are you going to have an 8 hour BBQ?

the type of BBQs that I plan to have would be the type that lasts like 2-3 hrs in the backyard.
Pretty much just mini BBQ's at night every now and then. Nothing fancy and not going to have lot of ppl (4-6ppl).

I also don't want to spend a lot of $ on charcoal/propane since I will be having many mini BBQ's.
Propane grill has the extra ignition part, which could be $$(20?) to replace.

It seems like charcoal will be the cheaper choice, but propane is more fit for the type of BBQs that I want to have.

---------------------------------------------

BTW, does anyone know which grill would be easier to clean? Propane or charcoal?
Since lavarocks keep the heat better, wouldn't it mean I have to wait longer before I can pack up the propane grill?

orange7 06-12-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznboi128 (Post 6988807)
this thread is from 03!

I like propane and propane accessories hahahaha

???

propane accessories??

what's the difference between propane accessories and charcoal accessories? Aren't they the same??

ex. basket, chicken rack

!Aznboi128 06-12-2010 12:48 PM

^ refer to Soundy's pic, i tell you what

Purely 06-12-2010 02:58 PM

I like Charcoal better. I enjoy sitting and cooking the hot dogs, chicken wings, etc on the long BBQ fork.

Great68 06-12-2010 08:23 PM

http://www3.telus.net/bryster/IMG_5524.jpg

Don't believe this nonsense about propane being gross, or shutting it off when cooking

1. Propane itself is non-toxic, colorless and odourless (The "smell" of propane is from an additive so humans can detect propane leaks)

2. The byproducts of complete propane combustion (which is what happens in a propane BBQ) are: CO2 and H20.
Of course, carbon dioxide and water are completely non-toxic, and odourless.

3. I have never seen my cousin, who is a red-seal chef turn off his propane when BBQing.

That being said, one of my future purchases will be a big green egg.

beatdownvictim 06-12-2010 08:51 PM

im using propane now because i dont think my strata will like charcoal on my balcony but soon i'll be converting to a pellet cooker

smoking = charcoal or pellets
grilling = propane/natural gas

orange7 06-12-2010 08:55 PM

but it's so hard to control the heat in a charcoal grill.

the heat for the propane is pretty much the same since the propane is like on all the time.

bcrdukes 06-12-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6989339)
but it's so hard to control the heat in a charcoal grill.

This is why you have pay attention to cooking your food. BBQ'ing isn't rocket science. You're making this a lot more difficult than it has to be.

I think you just convinced yourself to go with a propane BBQ. :p

murd0c 06-12-2010 11:38 PM

The great thing now it you can have the best of both worlds as bcrdukes said. I have my napoleon propane bbq and you can get a charcoal tray for inside which you use the propane to light the charcoal. I also have a smoker tube for it which works awesome. I just got my Q a month ago and it's so fucken pimp LOL

My old man has the big green egg and it is fricken awesome. Just sitting around with it going all day drinking beer and slow cooking the meat is the best thing in the summer.