REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #9026
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
wtf happened to Google stock? I haven't looked at the markets in a while, last I looked Google was at $1000+
Advertisement

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #9027
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
It split back in March.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #9028
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
ah that's what I figured, just didn't bother looking at the chart

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #9029
RS controls my life!

Anyone investing in any Chinese stocks listed on TSX?

I've been looking into GPW and FWK recently and both seem relatively undervalued based on fundamentals. GPW has risen from 0.03 to 0.07 and FWK has risen from 0.01 to 0.025. Is it me or the Chinese stocks seem cheaper compared to most non-Chinese stocks on the market?
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #9030
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

i have some $ in gpw
r6kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #9031
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
5 brain flaws that make you a lousy investor

a good read. i think these are the most common mistakes people make. but they're also some of the hardest to fix.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #9032
I subscribe to Revscene

GPRO ipo going ham

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to ride the wave for a day or two.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #9033
I keep RS good

traders, watch this:

Dan Gilbert: Why we make bad decisions | Talk Video | TED.com
Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #9034
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Say a stock moves from $1 to $2 and you were right there when the stock is at $1. Now compare yourself to someone who never followed the stock before and is deciding whether if they should buy this stocks. I guarantee you that most people who were there when the stocks was at a $1 would be very hesitant buying a stock now at $2 when it has just doubled than someone who just came along and analyzed the company without anchoring to the original $1 value.

It is a very fascinating presentation. An additional 1,200 Americans lost their lives after 9/11. Why? Because mainly they were afraid of going on a plane for traveling or other purposes. They drove instead. Well in terms of probability you have a much greater chance of dying in a traffic accident than flying on a plane. But most people don't think statistically. Which is why rich people sell insurance, poor people buy insurance.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; 07-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #9035
I keep RS good

whenever you get that "coulda had a better price" feeling... you're doing something wrong.

use that feeling/emotion as an additional indicator... indicator that your perception is starting to get warped...
Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #9036
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Since we are sharing tips - these are my favourites from Mark Douglas' book "Trading in the Zone". I keep them in a notebook to read every few days or when I think I'm making an emotional decision.

3 Rules of Trading

- Define your risk, target & exit before entering the trade.
- Cut your losses based on your predefined stop loss.
- Systematically take profits.

3 Psychological Tips

- A trader must predefine risk before entering a trade in spite of their belief they must be right (why they are entering the trade).
- Think in probabilities. Trust your edge & do not become consumed in being right or wrong.
- Be rigid in your rules & flexible in our market expectations. The typical trader is flexible in their rules and rigid in their expectations.

5 Truths of Thinking in Probabilities

- Anything can happen.
- You don't need to know what is going to happen next to make money.
- There is a random distribution between wins & losses for any given set of variables that define an edge.
- An edge is nothing more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing happening over another.
- Every moment in the market is unique.

I have some more notes from the book but I'd suggest giving it a read if you are into investing.

Kev
Old 07-04-2014, 01:14 AM   #9037

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
What's the cheapest broker to trade an European stock?

Questrade wants 1% commission, but minimum $200 charge.
TD seems to offer a flat rate of €29.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #9038
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
anyone trade using BMO? I have couple simple questions to ask. Hoping to have them answered before their call center opens. PM me please.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #9039
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
5 Truths of Thinking in Probabilities

- Anything can happen.
- You don't need to know what is going to happen next to make money.
- There is a random distribution between wins & losses for any given set of variables that define an edge.
- An edge is nothing more than an indication of a higher probability of one thing happening over another.
- Every moment in the market is unique.

I have some more notes from the book but I'd suggest giving it a read if you are into investing.

Kev
yeah... i have a philosophy:

markets are chaotic. they are not predictable in a systematic way over infinite periods of time.

chaotic as in chaos theory.

you're not really betting on your skill of predicting the direction. You're almost randomly picking a direction based on whatever false indicators to make yourself confident. the rest is risk control. once you're in, it's basically random... like it always was.

all you have to do is control the risk and make sure you don't lose.

all the edge you think you have (unless its insider info), is not a real edge. it's illusionary.

think of every stock/commodity/investment tool as a sphere floating in free space (some sphere's larger than others)

every sphere has a line connected to every other sphere, these lines are lines of influence. some lines are thicker than others (have more influence).

now back to the full picture... a room full of free floating spheres with intersecting lines everywhere... when a sphere is being tugged in one direction... how can you tell which "line" is pulling it? there's millions of lines connected to the sphere... you cannot tell which particular line is actually pulling it, you can only guess based on the direction the sphere is being tugged in.

that being said, the "edge" you think you have is just one or more of these connecting lines. BUT it's not the whole picture...

basically what roach said... you must consider all probabilities. and you must accept that any of these probabilities no matter how small, WILL happen to your position. and you must have a strategy to protect yourself against that probability.

it all makes sense if one accepts that you're betting on chaos. betting on pure randomness... then you will truly believe in risk management. money management will be the ONLY thing left that is in YOUR control. once you realise and actualize that fact... your trading results should improve right away.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #9040
I subscribe to Revscene

was reading this How to Find Undervalued Stocks in 3 Simple Steps

not sure if its a good read or not, still learning before I start trading
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #9041
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Watched a story on this on CNBC earlier...

Quote:
A social networking company with no revenue and no assets saw its stock soaring Thursday-to a market cap of well over $6 billion at one point. The firm's meteoric rise is so unlikely, that even its last auditor says it defies logic.

CYNK Technology (OTCPK:CYNK - News), which is based in Belize according to an SEC filing and only has one recorded employee, runs a social networking site called IntroBiz. That site says it allows users to "both buy and sell the ability to socially connect to individuals such as celebrities, business owners, and talented IT professionals," but it is not clear how many registered users it has.
CYNK's stock was valued at less than a dime in June, and rocketed to over $20 at one point Thursday morning.

CNBC could not reach the company. The phone number listed on CYNK's SEC filing was answered with a recording that said the number was unassigned.
"Who knows if insiders are trying to pump it to a high price?" CYNK's last auditor, Peter Messineo, said in a telephone interview Thursday with CNBC. "All I know is that I disassociate from this. ... You issue a report on something and then they pump and dump."

Messineo, who said his last review of the company was on Oct. 31, 2013. added that he works in a "very s---y industry."
"I'm a one-person shop. I do my due diligence and then they go dark," he said.
This has not stopped many from criticizing Messineo online for his connection to CYNK.

As for CYNK, he said he barely recalled the company, and had to search through his files before summarizing what he knew.

"They were all but a shell company other than the plan for what they were going to do: Issuing some stocks and paying professional fees, they had some research and development-they were trying to do something on the programming end, so something was going on," he said. "Nothing to generate revenue, nothing like contracts, nothing of that sort."
CYNK was created in 2008, and was orginally known as Introbuzz, according to a regulatory filing. Based on a May 2012 SEC filing, CNBC reached the former chief executive of IntroBuzz, Ken Carter, and he said he is no longer involved in the enterprise.
"I used to run a company called Introbuzz, and I brought them to the stock market," he said. "I resigned from the company because of the players."
Read More They're Back! Pump and Dump spams in your inbox
When asked to elaborate, Carter only said that there are "major players in this game," and explained that he wanted to talk to his lawyer before he could say more.

According to the most recent filings, CYNK's only recorded employee is CEO Marlon Sanchez. The Wall Street Journal reached someone claiming to be Sanchez by email on Thursday, and he said he resigned several months ago and is "no longer associated with this company in any way, shape or form." A June 11, 2014 document reveals that a

Javier Romero is now "the sole officer and director" of the company.
Attempts to reach the Belize City headquarters on the firm's filings were unsuccessful: CNBC learned that the listed office suite did not exist.
-By CNBC's Everett Rosenfeld , Brian Sullivan contributed reporting.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #9042

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
Horry shieeet PBYI

FB earnings today, fingers crossed.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #9043

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
What's the cheapest broker to trade an European stock?

Questrade wants 1% commission, but minimum $200 charge.
TD seems to offer a flat rate of €29.
ib, i pay about 2 Euro per trade, there abouts, not sure if being in europe affects that, it shouldn't
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #9044
I don't get it

If any of you have trouble with trading emotions/psychology, follow this blog TraderFeed. I recommend his books for offline reading as well. Brett Steenbarger is the real deal in trading psychology

Also, for anyone serious about trading, I recommend studying Market profile(google it). No charting indicators.

Last edited by dvst8; 07-30-2014 at 04:44 PM.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #9045
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Back in the market after some time away. Took profits and put them into a Porsche (U know that feel Jasonturbo?)

Going long on Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS), Canadian Pacific Railway (CNR), and Brookfield Asset Management (BAM).

Won't be doing doing a lot of trading but would like to short Nintendo. WII U has been a bust. Nintendo predicted selling over 9 millions units and they have old sold 2.7 mil so far. They are losing so much ground to PS4 and Xbox. Who buys a 3DS or WII U these days?
BBC News - Nintendo posts larger than expected loss despite Mario Kart
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #9046

^ chose a bad time to be back in the market.

i was hoping for the markets to correct and its finally come.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #9047

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Haven't posted in here for quite some time, still holding a massive chunk of AMRN at a relatively low price since I avg. down so aggressively.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:36 AM   #9048
Rs has made me the man i am today!

So the stochastics on the $SPY indicate that we could enter the 3rd oversold territory this year very soon.

You guys buying ? Me, I'm usually out of the market by June as part of my regimen and just sell option premiums till the end of the year unless I see an opportunity or crazy good news happens. But emotions are creeping up and I am tempted to get my beak wet again.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #9049

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
In a month or two, we'll laugh at ourself and say, this was fucking Argentina that defaulted. And life will go on.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #9050

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Why is AMRN dropping despite an increase in Q2 earnings of over 100% compared to last year?