REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #10726
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Merger date is estimated to be around mid-January for GHIV, just FYI. G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I would recommend playing merger like ERs. Really depends on your style.

1. Sell prior to merger
2. Self half and let the other half ride
3. Hold through the merger and hope it pops

Because I tend to buy in at a reasonable price point, I tend to hold through the merger.

If you get in close to NAV, most of them are usually around $20 by the time they merge or at least the ones I've been paying attention to. Depending on your entry point, it's some decent double digit gains even if you sell everything pre-merger.

The biggest thing with SPACs is the opportunity cost IMO. You could be waiting for months or years for an acquisition target, a merger vote, and the actual merger. A lot of things can happen in between these key dates. This is extremely true if you purchase a SPAC at near NAV prices like GHIV.

But yeah, everything is a gamble even SPACs, so don't make investment choices based on what I typed above because even I don't know what I'm doing half the time.
Advertisement
ButterFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #10727
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Oops, for some reason I thought it was another SPAC that was getting UWM.

Without looking too much, that one reminds me too much of RKT, so not too bullish post-merger. However, at its current price and how Gores' last merger (LAZR) went well, I think there's a lot of upside.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for pointing it out. I picked up some GHIV.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 12-10-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #10728
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Couldn't figure this out, but post merger, does the stock price pre-merger and number of shares transfer 1 to 1? If so, let's say a SPAC is at $1billion cap vs the actual valuation of the merging company of $10billion, are we only a portion share holder of the $1billion? Are the rest of the $9billion issued through warrants post-merge?

Spoiler!
Old 12-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #10729
Say! Say! Say!

From my understanding, yes, they transfer 1:1.

In your example, the final market cap of the post-merged company will be 11 billion. Your shares will be of the overall 11 billion, not the 1 billion from the SPAC.

Not too sure about warrants to answer the last part of your question.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #10730
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Anyone know if warrants are allowed under TFSA? Also anyone know how to transfer share certificates onto a trading account? Questtrade wants $300, I think WealthSimple doesn't do it. Is my only choice physical banks?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #10731
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I use US funds. It all boils down to how often you buy and sell. If you are using CAD funds to purchase stocks you're going to get dinged with conversion fees for each trade. While if you just converted the full amount to US funds, you get dinged that one time for fx conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Out of interest, do you guys purchase US based stocks listed on the Nasdaq using Canadian or U.S funds? I have a U.S. chequing account and a U.S TFSA - wondering if it is beneficial to transfer the funds over to the U.S TFSA and purchase stocks that way, then I don't have to pay the exchange rate when purchasing?
Old 12-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #10732
RS controls my life!

Abcellera debut at ~$60 lol... IPO price-range was $14-17.

But again, markets are in a state of euphoria. During 1995-1998, 34 out of 1,752 IPOs doubled on the first day. In the internet bubble years of 1999-2000, 182 out of 803 offerings doubled in price on the first day, with the last occurrence in November 2000.

Number of IPOs that have doubled on day one, per year since 2010:
2010: 0
2011: 1
2012: 1
2013: 6
2014: 6
2015: 5
2016: 1
2017: 1
2018: 1
2019: 3
2020: 19
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #10733
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Yea fuck insane.. I told myself I was out at 60+
Old 12-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #10734
My homepage has been set to RS

Yah I didn't bother when I read that it was hitting $70. Great for a Vancouver-based company, but the markets are absolutely out of whack.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #10735
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Yah I didn't bother when I read that it was hitting $70. Great for a Vancouver-based company, but the markets are absolutely out of whack.
Look at ABNB, absolutely insane. IPO was supposed to be $45-50 and people were getting in at $150+.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #10736
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Look at ABNB, absolutely insane. IPO was supposed to be $45-50 and people were getting in at $150+.
Tried to scalp both ABNB And DASH, but yeah, none started anywhere near their IPO prices. So much for setting limit orders.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #10737

Private equity is pretty fucked

Like even on BNN today they are like people are gonna start burning shit down when the govt can’t pass a stimulus bill but private equity is profiting BILLIONS on these IPO’s that are funny money. The one host was like capitalism is one thing but these ipos are a travesty
Old 12-11-2020, 07:21 PM   #10738
Say! Say! Say!

Was reading today that if you were a host in the USA, active, and accepting a reservation by November 1, AirBNB would allow you to purchase 200 shares at IPO prices.

One dude did and flipped them for easy money.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #10739
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

how do you guys these IPO stocks? it wasn't coming in my trading platform. I use bmo investorline
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #10740

My buddy who uses TD was able to purchase ABCL like more than an hour before it was available for me on qtrade so that was annoying..

Basically seems dependant on the platform, but it’s kind of hard to tell when the release actually happens, Google had their public price up for almost 2.5-3 hours before I was able to even see it in qtrade.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #10741
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
anyone else starting to feel bearish about the market?
i think it's safe to say everyone here has made some money this year but it seems like the market is meeting some resistance rn.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #10742
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
anyone else starting to feel bearish about the market?
i think it's safe to say everyone here has made some money this year but it seems like the market is meeting some resistance rn.
The thing with current market is that there's simply too much liquidity.

When you have near 0% interest rate, or your carrying cost is so low, all that cash needs to flow somewhere. Real estate is no longer considered as a safe bet/place to park money. That's why all the money is flowing into the stock market.

I can see some pullbacks here and there depending on how our market does. But until there's a severe tightening, there wouldn't be an end, and that's in terms of volatility.

As for stock, I follow one investment advice to heart: buy a company, not a stock.

If a company is operating and executing as they should, have no financial concern in term of capex, cashflow... etc, then the company would eventually return to its glory.

Think Microsoft. It lagged its FANG counterparts for the longest period when all of them were going explosive, but it was doing fine and had everything it needed. Eventually investors realized its value and boom, it's a trillion dollar company.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #10743

I think the biggest thing that will cause a pullback is overvaluation based on pure speculation. Especially with companies that have no assets to backup their valuation.

When this reckoning comes to pass I think it will be a black hole for all stocks, not just the speculative ones.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #10744
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
got a small position in we.vn

See how this will rid out

Last edited by lilaznviper; 12-16-2020 at 12:10 PM.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #10745
Say! Say! Say!

I myself got into BTWN earlier today on the dip.

It's a SPAC backed by Richard Li and Peter Thiel. Rumored to take Tokopedia, a leading Indonesian ecommerce platform public. Was all over Bloomberg yesterday.

Definitely a gamble since Tokopedia is also mulling over just doing an IPO with Morgan Stanley and Citi as advisors.. but I read they've been talking about going public for years now. Seeing as a SPAC can bring them public in a matter of months, perhaps SoftBank can push them in this direction.

With that said, I had never heard of Tokopedia prior to doing my research yesterday. If I can't get Tokopedia through a SPAC, I'll probably buy some when they IPO.. Shopee is another big ecommerce platform in Indonesia (and many other countries in SEA) and Sea Limited (which owns Shopee) has been a good investment for me.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #10746
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i have a real question for you guys on a money move.

Cineplex is crashing and burning right now,you take the big gamble and buy in while its allll nice and low and next years its all in the green?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #10747
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Been wanting to start a position with SQ for a while now, is it too late? PayPal and visa are joining the bitcoin wave too.

Anybody cash out on MARA or RIOT today?

Old 12-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #10748
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Cineplex will crash and burn more till next financial, I traded with it for a while until momentum ran out on the vaccines news. Gonna be a while till the next leg up.

Anyone looking at MP? with all the renewable green energy and EV hype. I bought in soon after it IPO'd around $18 but not planning to sell anytime soon
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #10749
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
i think cineplex will prevail long term. short term it's probably fucked. if you buy in now, then prepare for a long hold but imo it will bounce back eventually. may have to cut some theatres but i don't think it'll go belly up. my personal opinion is that it's easy to think the world is going to drastically change forever because of this pandemic because we're in the middle of it right now, but things will go back to normal eventually and only a few small changes to our lifestyle will remain.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #10750

From a personal point of view outside of the iMax 20mm screens I think theatres in general have fallen wayyyyy behind in the experience they provide. A basic home theatre setup with a shitty soundbar provides a better experience imo. And you don’t have to pay $25 for disgusting food options. And this was all BEFORE covid.

I don’t see them investing down the road into the technology required to improve the experience, and in general I think people will be weary of being in a theatre more than they would going to a sporting event etc.

I wouldn’t touch it, unless you’re thinking they are going to come up with some sort of innovation to draw people back in I see them going the way of blockbuster in the long term