REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #8901
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Being a car forum and all, anyone holding Tesla? Jumped 15-16 percent.
Advertisement
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #8902
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
@ Roach. Regarding Kandi, where would you price target be? It's already risen by over 66% in the last month. Definitely an interesting buy.

Anyway, sold my position for IMG today @ $4.30, bought at $3.72 last Thursday.

Tesla has so much momentum today. Think it'll hit $170 tomorrow?
Posted via RS Mobile
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #8903
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Same question...$40k on this?

Damn...

Looks like the drug isn't FDA approved yet, would you short it back to $40?
Lol, you would have made a killing if you shorted it. Unless you did?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #8904
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Lol, you would have made a killing if you shorted it. Unless you did?
LOL NOPE! I wish... I wouldn't be surprised if it jumped to $500 or close to 550. Didn't know the run end so fast. lol
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #8905

I'm still kicking around
CCB-V (Graphite)
LXV-V (social media play)

Looking at PYR-V & LOY.V (they have English schools for internationals, and only recently started to acquire rental suites. Looks very promising)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #8906
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I don't know what side of the fence to stand on with Tesla lately. I bought in back in Dec. 12' at $32 and sold at $170. Had a good ride and made some great profit. Now though I'm just not sure it will make another big run so quickly. Could be a great long play though. Supposed to see a new model this year and there is talks of a F-150 competitor down the line.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #8907
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Those weeklies did like 1000% on tsla on a Tuesday. On a thursday /friday that would be 3000-5000% ... ridiculous and it was an easy move to catch too honestly
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #8908

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
AMRN decision delayed lol.. Shareholders went from having a date, to having nothing lol.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #8909
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr View Post
@ Roach. Regarding Kandi, where would you price target be? It's already risen by over 66% in the last month. Definitely an interesting buy.
Posted via RS Mobile
A little late to reply to this.

My exit point was $15 as I don't like to hold things too long. Although it hit that point late in the day today I am holding on for a bit of continuation tomorrow morning.

Assuming I cash out tomorrow I will try to re-enter on a dip and play for a run-up to earnings.

Kev
Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #8910
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
AMRN decision delayed lol.. Shareholders went from having a date, to having nothing lol.
That's both disappointing and encouraging at the same time. Would have been nice to have had a definitive answer at this point, however, the continued delay makes me think that it's not going to be a definitive no when a decision is reached.

I wonder whether this issue was at all political and whether the prior CEO's resignation was necessary for the FDA to move forward.

With that being said, you're not far off your average now. One decent piece of news and you could stand to be back in the black.

Kev
Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #8911
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

this is a long FDA play if anyone is interested, PVCT, uses rose bengal (eye drop stain) to cause cancer cells to die, also cream for eczema and psoriarsis treatment
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #8912
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

ASG holy.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #8913
I subscribe to Revscene

Quick question for you guys:

Is there such thing as a USD TFSA direct trading account? (specifically with TD waterhouse)

backstory:

My understanding is that in order to trade a ticker under a US exchange, say GOOG, I would buy the shares with my current TFSA trading account which is in CDN. So i would therefore take an FX hit upon purchase as well as one upon selling.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #8914

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post

Is there such thing as a USD TFSA direct trading account? (specifically with TD waterhouse)

backstory:

My understanding is that in order to trade a ticker under a US exchange, say GOOG, I would buy the shares with my current TFSA trading account which is in CDN. So i would therefore take an FX hit upon purchase as well as one upon selling.
Didn't do a search for the other brokerages but

https://www.virtualbrokers.com/contents.aspx?page_id=20

Quote:
Tax-Free Saving Account (TFSA)
The Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) is a registered savings account that enables you to earn investment income tax-free, subject to certain condition and limitations. For full details and eligible investments please visit Canada Revenue Agency website (Canada Revenue Agency Web site / Site Web de l'Agence du revenu du Canada). US TFSA is a new type of TFSA that comes with all the tax advantages of a regular TFSA, but is denominated in US currency. This feature allows trading in US denominated instruments without worrying about forced foreign currency conversions (FX Hits) that typically erode trading profits.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #8915

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post

backstory:

Call TD Waterhouse and they can set up this thing for you where every time you sell a stock in USD, rather than converting it back into CAD it will purchase US$ money market funds. When you decide to purchase more US stocks again you can then directly use the US$ money market funds. It's the best way to avoid converting currencies twice and still give you the flexibility.

Don't quote me on this but I believe this process is called "washing your trades"
kluk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #8916

^ yup, i can vouch for that--it's called currency wash. it's not openly advertised since the bank makes money from the exchange, but call in and they'll be happy to do it for you.

anyway, what are you guys' outlook? market seems very high and quite a lot of stocks are hitting multi-year highs. any one found nice gems?

i am deciding if i should pull the trigger on Ford, their recent drop makes it seem kinda attractive at current prices, comparing their p/e to other automakers like gm or toyota.

also, anyone investing in uranium stocks? im currently in CCJ/CCO, URZ, URE... thoughts?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #8917
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
also, anyone investing in uranium stocks? im currently in CCJ/CCO, URZ, URE... thoughts?
I own DML and CCO. DML I finally am in the black after averaging down and holding it for god knows how long. CCO I'm up 20%.

I dont know whether to stay or sell some of my holdings. uranium prices are at lows but everyone is expecting uranium prices to go up which has lead to the run up.

I see a lot of up side for DML if uranium prices do go up. I cant see a world without nuclear energy. China has a lot of demand and if Japan starts up again I can only see uranium prices going up. Uranium spot prices are at LOWs, there's only one way it can go and that's up imho.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:36 AM   #8918

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
I own DML and CCO. DML I finally am in the black after averaging down and holding it for god knows how long. CCO I'm up 20%.

I dont know whether to stay or sell some of my holdings. uranium prices are at lows but everyone is expecting uranium prices to go up which has lead to the run up.

I see a lot of up side for DML if uranium prices do go up. I cant see a world without nuclear energy. China has a lot of demand and if Japan starts up again I can only see uranium prices going up. Uranium spot prices are at LOWs, there's only one way it can go and that's up imho.
If you're willing to hold long uranium stocks should be alright, CCO would be the obvious choice IMO.

A little sketchy IMO to start long positions now though, even if Uranium starts to pop in say 1-2 years, the greater markets could be correcting by then (I say correcting because it's pretty clear the NA economy is still #&$@ed.. and it's been 5+ years since things last came apart at the seams, so the next part of the cycle could start soon).

I'm thinking that the spring sell off this year will be significant, if equities are down in spring, and precious metals etc. are up I will be thinking it's time to get the F out of markets for a while... meh, it's a matter of opinion I suppose.

GL to all!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #8919

If you think the markets will correct then you're selling amrn?

But I do agree with you, the saying, "sell in may, go away" is a self fulfilling quote from TIME to TIME.

And I agree, markets are heated. Then again...sometimes..being long is how you make money. Not too long..but long.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #8920
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluk View Post
Don't quote me on this but I believe this process is called "washing your trades"
awesome. calling in today to set that up but the low dollar is causing my inner cheap-o to not buy USD until it ticks back up a bit...which probably won't be a while. saw on the news that economists are expecting it to drop to 83-83 wtf!
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #8921

Insane, anyone catch the min.v play? Incredibly good PFS released, stock goes from .10 cents to .55close, 355% in a day. And likely a gap up on Monday.

I flipped for a couple of pizzas, but regret not holding over the weekend now. The heavy buying until EOD makes me think it's going to gap up on Monday.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #8922

what's everyone's opinion on gold? gold miners shot up today... thinking about getting onto the bandwagon lol--ishares and spdr gold etfs?

what about other commodities? 2014 is supposedly a good year for canadian commodities... currently in COS, SU, ECA in addition to the uranium miners
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #8923
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
this is a long FDA play if anyone is interested, PVCT, uses rose bengal (eye drop stain) to cause cancer cells to die, also cream for eczema and psoriarsis treatment
posted this msg on jan 15 when the stock was 2.70ish, today it closed at 4.20, hope someone bought some of this stock
Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #8924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
posted this msg on jan 15 when the stock was 2.70ish, today it closed at 4.20, hope someone bought some of this stock
wow...definitely beating myself up for not picking a few shares up.. congrats dude!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #8925

Quote:
wow...definitely beating myself up for not picking a few shares up.. congrats dude!
Considering it closed at 1.87 today I'm not sure you should really feel all that bad lol... (Unless of course you sold at the right time)