REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Review: EBISU on Robson (https://www.revscene.net/forums/429366-review-ebisu-robson.html)

hamsup 03-09-2007 10:38 AM

good stuff sensei ducky ! lol !!! i was so confused what was going on that night !!!! haha

!Tigger 03-10-2007 11:35 AM

i wanna go again... foods always awesome

Ch28 03-10-2007 10:27 PM

Took my gf there tonight for our 3 year anniversary. Food was great just like last time. My gf hates yams and she loved the thunder fries. The tiger mayo was delicious and the dozen oyster special was yummy. We tried the Taco Rice and it was pretty good.

Will be back there next Saturday for a friend's bday. ;) :p hahaha

S17 03-11-2007 01:12 AM

VIP cards are in now Deon? If so i'll be there next weekend haha.

Ch28 03-17-2007 10:33 PM

Thanks for the great service and the bday cake tonight Deon. Sorry about everybody showing up late but I was on time! :p

wouwou 03-18-2007 12:07 AM

Can't Stop Going..

Now I am thinking, if the food there actually has crack in them because they are so ADDICTIVE lol

Oh God please keep the standard of your food. I've been to too many good restaurants that got lazy once they are established

ineedNOS 03-24-2007 02:33 PM

went there yesterday, took a bunch of out of towners and we all enjoyed the atmosphere and the drinks! ...thanks!

TreyDoja 03-24-2007 02:44 PM

Deon: Just a suggestion, but it gets pretty packed and orders tend to pile up, I know our table's did, and wrong orders go to wrong tables and/or wrong things get charged, etc. I would suggest that after every table orders, you print out an order form of what the table has ordered and have the waitress mark it off as it comes to the table (match what was ordered with what has already come, etc.)

I know a lot of Chinese Restaurants do this and it eases confusion and mistakes. The table orders and they receive an order form. When the food comes, it gets checked off of the list accordingly.

Ch28 03-24-2007 03:10 PM

^ That's actually a pretty good suggestion. We had a few mix ups with our orders last weekend for my friend's bday but we know it can get a bit hectic with big parties so we didn't think too much about it.

Ducky 03-24-2007 04:01 PM

Trey always with all the good ideas.
Yesterday our group did cod on the drinks it was flawless took abit extra timewise but it worked out.

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-25-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wouwou
Can't Stop Going..

Now I am thinking, if the food there actually has crack in them because they are so ADDICTIVE lol

Oh God please keep the standard of your food. I've been to too many good restaurants that got lazy once they are established

:rofl:

lolllll

enrai 03-25-2007 06:06 PM

Went there the past 2 nights for a friend's b-day. Good place to hang out, lots of eyecandies ;)
Is it normal that Friday night's busier than Saturday?

wahyinghung 03-26-2007 12:52 AM

Just been there tonight for my B-day the resturant environment is very nice, I can't belief it used to be Hooters. As for the food the best Jap food In Van so far. Way better than Dozo which we went the night before. Definetly will come back kinda savoring some Taco rice now ......

Ch28 03-26-2007 01:33 AM

^ Their taco rice is good!

Reminds me of the spanish rice my gf and I make at home :D

willystyle 03-26-2007 12:22 PM

Went there again yesterday.. table service was kind of slow... we had to ask several times before we can get our water filled.. i find the portion size for some dishes has shrunk like the chicken karrage.. i remember it being bigger.. other then that.. it was good..

chynado11 04-03-2007 12:30 PM

what time are u guys open till on wednesday nights?

Obsideon 04-03-2007 04:40 PM

Weekdays we're usually open to about 11ish-12. I kind of adjust depending on the flow of business. I won't stay up 'til 12:30am when there's no customers, but I'll stay will whenever if we're full house!

~ D

kurayami 04-05-2007 12:29 PM

Props to D, food there was awesome! Went two weeks ago for a b-day party and again on monday... keep up the good work.

eternal_angel 04-05-2007 05:08 PM

I can't remember what I ordered, but there was a group of 15 of us (apparently it was like some singles party or something) but if the fish was fresh. Wasn't too big on the Oyster Motoyaki, but the raw stuff rocks, assuming you don't chug it down.

mako 04-09-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wahyinghung
Way better than Dozo

i think that's a major understatement

sil-300 04-09-2007 09:52 PM

was just at the resturant today. All in all, it was a fairly good experience although i was pretty disappointed with the crab tartar, spicy tuna, sashimi salad and the taco rice. For what you're paying i figured the taco rice would have been at least a bit bigger. I loved the agadeshi tofu with spicy calamari topping, thunder fries, and teh cheesecake creme brule was great. I also had the beef sashami which was decent (cause i like it slightly cold, and ours was warm), ocean red which i liked, and pork gyozas which came out pipin hot :)

good job on the restaurant overall!

JSilver 04-11-2007 08:40 AM

The music bumps at the restaurant. Awesome!

Ronin 04-11-2007 08:41 AM

The creme brule cheesecake is groin-grabbingly good.

6793026 04-18-2007 03:58 PM

i went early just because I don't have a reservation. i went when the sun was still up so i wasn't able to watch the projector's hockey game, and because i was early, i didn't get all the pretty receptionist to greet me yet.

i tried to sangria which was great, i tried the yam fries, which was awesome because it was different (as in shape) and the sauce was spicy yet compliemented each other. The samurai roll (with eel on top) was good, meh.. nothign too special, colorful i gotta say. The sasahmi (beef and the seafood) were both above par.

i am no chef, but what i did see was a lot of japanese white sweet paste which is the typical sauce people eat in sushi. I see it being used in a lot of yoru dishes. I just want to make a suggestion and see if you can expand and come up with some special sauce. i know this is easier said than done but what Ebisu is lacking is the wow factor in taste. The decor was decent, the color and presentation are just above par (many dishes were just decorated with tomato and free pepper for color) but the taste and shocking value weren't there to WOW someone.

It's hard work to make a good dish at a restaurant eg// catcus / milostone, but its the special sauce, marinates and ingrediences that makes a great dish and a memoriable restaurant. eg//baccus, quattro..etc...

let's make a comparision. Guu, all jap wording, minimal english. sometimes, you really need to know what you are ordering. Chopstick cafe, english menu but lack pictures. you guys have the best of both worlds. i really appreciate the colorful menu and the variety of items with pictures however, the draw back is the high expectations that's setup by seeing the pictures. the sangria was by far the funniest. pic shows tons of fruits and strawberries and pears, but when we got it it was like OH.

overall, i had a good experience. i gotta say the alcohol menu was crazzzyyyyy.

Obsideon 04-18-2007 06:31 PM

Mr. bunch-of-#'s: :D Hehe I really appreciate your thorough feedback and comments! Very useful and informative!

Yeah now that the the sun stays up a lot longer we're having problems with the projection screen being not bright or sharp enough with all our huge windows wrapping the restaurant. I'm thinking to tint the windows or get some curtains in the near future, not sure yet.

Your not the first to comment on the sauce. It's so hard to please everybody, first somebody told me that we use the same sauce for Ebi Mayo, Thunder Fries and Chicken Karaage, our house Chili Cajun mayo, it's a great sauce but it gets repetitive.

So we changed the dip for the Chicken Karaage to a BBQ Garlic sauuce, a week later another buddy of mine says "Aw you changed the dip for the Chicken Karaage? The old one was so good!" ... We are now working on tweaking a few new sauces for the other dishes and see what we can come up with! As you mentioned it's easier said than done but we'll keep trying! We're always trying to improve our dishes.

Oh and the note on the Sangria, lol sorry 'bout that I'm sure it wasn't intentional. It IS suppose to look like the picture, or as similar to it as possible. The bartender probably got busy or lazy. Either way I'm gonna remind her about it to ensure it doesn't happen again!

Thanks again and I hope we improve in time for your next visit!

~ Deon

PS. You should look for me next time I like meeting new people!