REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #626
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Advertisement

Last edited by naomi; 01-27-2012 at 11:41 PM.
naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #627
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Interesting read.

First off there's a couple things that should be noted. Your comparing Downtown to Vancouver, most places would be cheaper, if you want even more ghetto sushi then you can look further towards AYCE in Richmond. Rent on Robson is not cheap

Then there's The Eatery which you speak so highly of. Been there twice, busy and not busy, service was poor, even for Canadian standards (speaking of which, all the waitresses there are Caucasion?! ... serving ... Japanese?! .. uh..)
Then there's the food. I won't assume that the Kitchen is run by non--Authentic chefs like the floor staff but from the taste of things I don't doubt it. The cooked food was very standard. Almost hole-in-the-wall ricebowl takeout style, for $12?! .. a chicken teri-don? .. I guess they have to make up for the cheapo rolls that naomi mentioned. Oh which by the way were 5-6 pieces per roll. Ebisu rolls are 8 pieces. The 6 piece rolls we have on the menu are also priced between $3 to $7.

When you dine out. I would think you factor in more than just the rolled rice you pop into your mouth. The ambiance, the presentation, the service, the entire package, big screen TV? 10 feet projector, cheap drinks? It's all part of the entire experience. Of course you can run into any small takeout shop, ask them to make you a 'Caterpillar' roll for 6 bucks and eat it on a stool. Some shops might stinge on the Unagi too which is the most expensive part of the roll but hey who knows.

hamsup: When did you have curry? Did you stop by for lunch? I'll talk to the chef later 'bout it.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #628

Last edited by naomi; 01-27-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #629
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
I'm with naomi on this one for the same exact reasons.

With all the hype on and off RS, personally, Ebisu just isn't my cup of tea. The establishment fails to live up to a standard of a core Downtown establishment but perhaps I have particular and high expectations. I guess different strokes for different folks. Can't keep everybody happy.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-15-2008 at 07:36 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #630
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
As much as I love the waitresses at Ebisu, I have to say I wouldn't have a problem with white girls serving me Japanese food.

...as long as she's hot. Most of the waitresses at Ebisu are smokin'.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #631
I bringith the lowerballerith

Am I the only one thats finds it annoying to have a color faded 10 feet projector in a restaurant?
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #632
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm with naomi on this one for the same exact reasons.

With all the hype on and off RS, personally, Ebisu just isn't my cup of tea. The establishment fails to live up to a standard of a core Downtown establishment but perhaps I have particular and high expectations. I guess different strokes for different folks. Can't keep everybody happy.
i guess everyone do have their opinion. And as a RS community, i guess sometimes we rather be really honest with each of our opinion, instead lying about sth that a person feels.

And like u said, cant keep everyone happy..there is always gonna have good/bad feedback towards certain restaurant, and in this case i hope deon doesnt take it personal
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #633
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

i dont go to cactus club to order the edamame off their menu...

i dont understand what standards u guys are talking about. ebisu falls in line with all those japanese/korean/chinese drinking establishments with better food. you cant compare it to white spot or some other franchised cookie cutter AYCE restaurants. prices by far are fair.

i see ebisu as more of a hang out and sure bet more than anything. to each their own...
#202 - 115 Schoolhouse Street
Coquitlam, BC V3K 4X8

Please check out the dealer forum for more more deals

Wholesale Inquiries Welcome

IFORGE, VORSTEINER, HRE, MRR, TEIN, H&R, TANABE, BUDDYCLUB, FALKEN HKS, GREDDY, APEXI, 5ZIGEN, MEISTERSHAFT, VOLK, WORK, OETTINGER, ROTORA, EISENMANN, RECARO, SEIBON, BREYTON, VELOCITY, INJEN, FUGITA, AEM, K&N, RSR, BLITZ, DEFI, TOKIKO, SKUNK, ROTA, VELLANO, OZ, DC SPORT, RD SPORT, RACING HART, JIC, NOKYA, MTECH, ETC..

Last edited by Alex@advmotors; 07-15-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Alex@advmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #634
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

For me, what it comes down to when I determine what is a good meal or not its is the food itself. Specifically the quality, proportions, presentation, and pricing. I go to a restaurant to eat. The things like the decor, waitresses, and entertainment come second to the food.

If I wanted to see some T&A. I would go to Joey's, Cactus, Earls etc and would know ahead of time that I would be settling for the at-par food.

I went to Ebisu for the first time last week and overall the food was just OK. The rolls could be improved on. I don't mind paying money for a good roll but it BETTER be good. Unfortunately, it wasn't worth the $12 which I paid for it.

The service wasn't poor, although it could be improved on. There were plenty of waitresses working at the time although I don't understand why most of them were standing idle. We didn't even get a "how is your meal so far?" or "would you like another drink?". This is disappointing especially considering how a tip was automatically tacked onto our bill (large party procedure I assume although we only had 7 people at our table??).

I don't want to say that my experience at Ebisu was horrible, but there definately are better alternatives in the vicinity.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #635
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsup View Post
good post.. and i am sure Deon would apprecaite the honest feed back... my curry had no flavour.. and my rolls were all mangled up... they would fall apart before even getting to my plate..

i had a huge problem with the service and food quality at the eatery. I think the best place to get the yummiest sushi would be toshi...

The curry and the mangled up rolls were from Eatery.. sorry.. my post made no sense !! lol !!!

Ebisu has better than average food i think !!! i can't say they make the best food in the world.. but you can't compare it to eatery.. IMO.. the eatery just isn't very good !!!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #636
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
I always have a good time at Ebisu.

Maybe you guys just aren't drunk enough.

Or you're really, really, boring people.

I don't know about you guys, but I like having a bit of authenticity when I go out to eat a Japanese/Korean/etc Restaurant. The Eatery is about as wrong as the Viet people at Samurai. I've been to both, and the Eatery was fine, but ehh.

Last edited by SpuGen; 07-16-2008 at 02:02 AM.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:28 AM   #637
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
I always have a good time at Ebisu.

Maybe you guys just aren't drunk enough.

Or you're really, really, boring people.

I don't know about you guys, but I like having a bit of authenticity when I go out to eat a Japanese/Korean/etc Restaurant. The Eatery is about as wrong as the Viet people at Samurai. I've been to both, and the Eatery was fine, but ehh.
What are you talking about, The Eatery is Japanese owned. If you are talking about the waitresses, I don't think they should be included when judging how authentic a restaurant is. Its not like Ebisu has all Japanese waitresses, nor do most of the Japanese restaurants in Van.

Anyways, my take on Ebisu: I agree with a few of the above posts, rolls were marginal, service was pretty bad, waitresses always standing around talking to eachother. The girls are easy on the eyes, but seriously, do you even hire girls who have service experience or u just hire any girl who will suck cock for the job. A sub-par restaurant for an above-par location.

Last edited by Aetios; 07-16-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Aetios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #638
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3zee View Post
What are you talking about, The Eatery is Japanese owned. If you are talking about the waitresses, I don't think they should be included when judging how authentic a restaurant is. Its not like Ebisu has all Japanese waitresses, nor do most of the Japanese restaurants in Van.

Anyways, my take on Ebisu: I agree with a few of the above posts, rolls were marginal, service was pretty bad, waitresses always standing around talking to eachother. The girls are easy on the eyes, but seriously, do you even hire girls who have service experience or u just hire any girl who will suck cock for the job. A sub-par restaurant for an above-par location.
Damn, this page is full of hate, hate that I can concur with. When I said negative but honest things about Ebisu, ppl were all up in arms and continued to rave about this place.

3zee has got everything perfectly summed up. It was like that 1 year ago when I went and I guess it's still the same 1 year later.

As for Spugen's comment about not being drunk enough...I guess that's why you like it there?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #639
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
I drink alot.

But that's not the only reason I go. In my opinion, I think the food's pretty good. I've never had a problem with waitresses, and they're hot.

Plus, you really can't beat the crowd on Friday/Saturday nights. It's flooded with people, but everybody there's having fun, and thats my kind of restaurant. Did I mention that there's drunk girls there, AND hot waitresses? One of them even asked me for my FaceBook and number haha

I love this place.

Beats Guu. The chef had the clap and everybody fucks each other there. Tainteddd.

Last edited by SpuGen; 07-16-2008 at 03:21 AM.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #640

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Viet people at Samurai.
Or how about Kishu Island
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #641

Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #642
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I have to agree with most of the above, while the food is decent, the service from the waitress' is pretty horrible especially when compared to other downtown restaurants. One time in particular, our waitress spent more time flirting with me and talking to the other waitress than making sure our orders where right or checking if we needed drinks, if I wanted eye candy, I'd just go to Cactus Club. She seemed more interested in telling us about what she likes to do in her spare time and which club she was going to be at later than taking our orders and forgetting about our drinks. I really think Deon needs to do something about the waitresses.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #643
Ebisu Boss

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi View Post
(previous post: The vibe is also less pretentious.)

What is wrong with white people serving japanese? Does it bother you when you walk into Joeys/Cactus Club and see asian girls serving white food? How about when you walk into Hapa Izakaya and a white girl screams hello at you in Japanese?

Besides, you'll know that the eatery isn't a typical Japanese restaurant. You can tell that just by walking in and looking at the decor and the menu. This isn't your typical japanese joint, which is great because god knows there are so many of those around. And yes, the owner is Japanese.

The service was also horrible. We had to flag down the waitresses that were taking care of us every time we wanted something. They didn't bring us water. Didn't ask if we wanted refills. Took forever to process our bill. Once they brought us our food they disappeared to chat with each other.

As far as the ambiance you talk about at Ebisu, I honestly didn't feel like it was a great dining experience. Maybe it was just an off night or something but the overall package was lacking something. I just can't put my finger on it.
pretentious... hm.. that's the first time I heard anyone use that word for us. We're pretty casual, from the feedback maybe too casual!

It's not that they are white, its the fact that they know nothing about Japanese. I asked for ponzu sauce and the girl was like "huh?" and half the dishes they bring, if it ain't the "Elvis Roll" then they can't even pronounce it properly. No I'm not bothered by asian CBC or whatever BC's working at white restaurants, but wouldn't you be bothered if they had Mainlander FOBs prancing around yelling "HAI there! er cheekin bargor witsh fries?" The other thing is with a mainly 99% caucasion ratio out front, it makes you wonder what kind of people run the kitchen pumping out these 'caterpillar rolls' .. bunch of pasta/burger making white folks? I mean if they trained in Japan then props to them. There could also be authentic Japanese chefs in there that can speak perfect english since he'll need to, what with all the white girls outside. Just a thought.

We are not your typical Japanese restaurant either, a lot of the sushi and kitchen staff have 10+ years experience in Japan, 1 has traveled throughout Japan in competitions and won a lot of them. Another trained under an Iron Chef, then there's 1 with a Fugu license. Extensive training to serve a deadly poisonous fish. I'll tell my headchef about your food quality complaints for good measure. Next time you should just tell me directly on the spot so I can fix it rather than bring it up a week later on RS. That's what I'm all about, wanting to hear feedback so I can hope to improve all the time, working on a personal level with the most important people, the customer. As for the service issues I will bring that up with my staff and even show them your post. No one's perfect, I'll work on that. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySi View Post
Am I the only one thats finds it annoying to have a color faded 10 feet projector in a restaurant?
I would find it annoying too but I haven't seen one recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
For me, what it comes down to when I determine what is a good meal or not its is the food itself. Specifically the quality, proportions, presentation, and pricing. I go to a restaurant to eat. The things like the decor, waitresses, and entertainment come second to the food.

If I wanted to see some T&A. I would go to Joey's, Cactus, Earls etc and would know ahead of time that I would be settling for the at-par food.

I went to Ebisu for the first time last week and overall the food was just OK. The rolls could be improved on. I don't mind paying money for a good roll but it BETTER be good. Unfortunately, it wasn't worth the $12 which I paid for it.

The service wasn't poor, although it could be improved on. There were plenty of waitresses working at the time although I don't understand why most of them were standing idle. We didn't even get a "how is your meal so far?" or "would you like another drink?". This is disappointing especially considering how a tip was automatically tacked onto our bill (large party procedure I assume although we only had 7 people at our table??).

I don't want to say that my experience at Ebisu was horrible, but there definately are better alternatives in the vicinity.
Good review, duly noted. Will work on it. Thx. Also, it's a regular policy now in Vancouver. Like 4 out of 5 restaurants do it, from the super high-end to the Izakayas. Parties of 6/8 get the tip automatically calculated, with us it's set into the computer. As with any restaurant, you don't have to pay it if you feel it's not justifiable, it's just pre-calculated. Please do remember to express your reasoning for not doing so though to prevent them thinking that your just cheap and that it's the servers fault they didnt get the money which is totally fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3zee View Post

I doubt most restaurants trying to run our style can seriously hire all service-pro waitresses. Most of the girls are just finishing school, still in school or Working Holidays from Japan who come to work for a year only, none of which have much service industry experience. Unless I find women in the late 20s or even 30s then they usually wouldn't have been in the industry that much, of course there are exceptions but those are few and far inbetween. I can only hope to try and train them as much as I can. As for your last comment, are you jealous? Hehe J/K! Too much Casting Couch for you lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi View Post
With reviews like that, Ebisu sure doesn't need marketing!

I didn't realize inebriated women was a valid criteria for determining the quality of a restaurant. I'm sure the owners and founders of Ebisu would be flattered.

At the end of the day, I don't care how many modelesque waitresses, 10 foot projectors, cheap drinks, etc you shove into one restaurant. If the food quality is low and the service is sub-par, no amount of "ambience" will make up for it.

I will probably be there again this Saturday because a friend is coming from out of town and wants to try the place. I'm always about second chances so we'll go and hopefully the experience will be better this time.

We'll see.
I will try to make the necessary improvements by then.
Don't forget to say Hi! I'll be here and definitely try to make your experience better than before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I have to agree with most of the above, while the food is decent, the service from the waitress' is pretty horrible especially when compared to other downtown restaurants. One time in particular, our waitress spent more time flirting with me and talking to the other waitress than making sure our orders where right or checking if we needed drinks, if I wanted eye candy, I'd just go to Cactus Club. She seemed more interested in telling us about what she likes to do in her spare time and which club she was going to be at later than taking our orders and forgetting about our drinks. I really think Deon needs to do something about the waitresses.
Other downtown restaurants? Don't know what you would compare us to.
I think your misinterpreting flirting with just trying to be friendly and start a conversation to make the customer more happy, it's part of their job, high horse man haha or maybe you're just that damn sexy.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 07-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #644
Ebisu Boss

Thumbs up

Oh and again I really appreciate all the feedback and comments. They all help by encouraging what I'm doing and/or improve to fixing all the flaws! I don't think many owners/entrepreneurs/managing teams actually bother to listen to all the people voice their opinions like this. I've only been doing this a few years so obviously there's still lots to learn!

Cheers!~

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 07-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #645
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

I will try to make the necessary improvements by then.
Don't forget to say Hi! I'll be here and definitely try to make your experience better than before!
I think Naomi should not say hi for her next time visit. If she said hi to Deon... then of course...Naomi cannot leave an honest opinion about this restaurant again. Know what I mean? Of course, the staffs will treat Naomi and friends extra special. Extra special service for Naomi means spoiling the real nature of the restaurant. Think Naomi as the food/rextaurant critic. She is an honest customer...and I would like to read her honest comments again.

Dont get me wrong...but yeah...I do know that it is appropriate for Deon to make up for the unsatisfied customer. That's what makes a good manager...but I really do want to read Naomi's honest feedback again.

Goodluck Deon.
Hanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #646
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
it must be the cologne...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #647
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I doubt most restaurants trying to run our style can seriously hire all service-pro waitresses. Most of the girls are just finishing school, still in school or Working Holidays from Japan who come to work for a year only, none of which have much service industry experience. Unless I find women in the late 20s or even 30s then they usually wouldn't have been in the industry that much, of course there are exceptions but those are few and far inbetween. I can only hope to try and train them as much as I can. As for your last comment, are you jealous? Hehe J/K! Too much Casting Couch for you lol.

Jealous? Hardly. Dime a dozen in this City. Although I admit, I went a little far with that comment, but I was only figuratively speaking. Its great that I got through to you though, which was my intention.

Finishing school, in school, etc etc, doesn't matter. Its all about the maturity of the employee as well as their work ethic. Nobody said you had to hire all service-pro waitresses, but if you were to hire girls who had at least a little service experience, we wouldn't run into all this negative feedback about your service. Its really not even about the girls having service experience, it has more to do with work ethic. You could hire somebody with no experience but with a great work ethic, combined with your training, that is a winning combination.

I read the previous posts about the comparisons to other downtown restaurants, and having gone to a lot of the restaurants downtown, I would have to agree, Ebisu's service is lacking, I know it bothers you a little to hear it, but its the truth.
If you're trying to say that its hard to find young, attractive females who have great service experience, why is it when I go to establishments like Cactus, Milestones, or Joey's, they too have attractive waitresses but their service is also good/great on a regular basis. Its as if your waitresses don't care if they get fired or not. Maybe they see you as more of a friend and not an authority figure? I really don't know, and I won't assume anything.

Anyways, I'm sure you're working together with your waitresses to progressively improve upon the negatives. I'm glad you read and reply to our complaints which means you are a pro-active manager who cares about his establishment and its customers, which is a lot more than I can say about a few managers I've ran into before. So good on you for that.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #648
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

didn't bother reading too far back, but i was planning on dining at ebisu again very soon. my husband took his staff there for lunch a couple weeks ago and raved about the $10 make your own combo deal. the week after i couldn't resist and brought my 4 month old downtown to try it myself. i must say i was totally impressed with my meal! i especially loved the salad!! i think the service was at par with any other restaurant of it's type.

i enjoyed my lunch and will definately visit again.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #649

Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #650

im still waiting for my vip card ...

mako is offline   Reply With Quote