REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #676
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I find it really strange that should happen. I've never seen it nor do I condone it. I always tell the cashier to give back the change unless it was obvious like for example a $73 bill and they pay with four $20s AND a toonie. You mentioned a $70 bill and you paid with a hundred dollar bill and didn't get change? Was it a split bill table? Sometimes those get confusing when 15 people are paying at the same time for a single party. Otherwise I really don't know how that could happen, odd...
well I eventually got change, just the thing that peeved me was that it took forever and many (at least 4-5 times) reminders for the waitress to get me the change......i mean i can understand if it's a super busy time, but i didn't go during a peak time and it wasn't very busy

however, having said that, the food is pretty good and i'm glad that u go for quality ingredients.......my only complaint would be the prawn gyoza, the prawns could be fresher and pack a bit more taste......the asari pasta is awesome tho, and the clams were very good
Advertisement
LanEvoMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #677
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Just a heads up:

Thursday, August 28th, 7:00-10:00pm

There's going to be a Granville Island Golf Prize Party!

There's going to be some games (Try Putting for prizes drunk!), free beer samples of Honey Lager, Pale Ale, etc and then more importantly, there's going to be BEER GIRLS too!

Also going to be a draw for a $400 Golf bag! Also some free giveaways and some golf passes to Mayfair Lakes Golf course!

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #678
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Me and my boyfriend decided to drop by for dinner a few weeks back.
When we arrived, we didn't notice a hostess at the front, so we just sat by the door and waited for someone to come by.

10 minutes had passed and still no one came by. What was really annoying was alot of the workers were making eye contact with us, but no one came to acknowledge us.
They all seemed too busy, even tho it was pretty quiet.

When we finally flagged down a waitress, she just gave us a brush off, saying she wasn't the hostess and quickly ran off. She didnt' seem to really care.
Ok, your not the hostess, but at least find someone to come help us.
I can understand if the restaurant was busy/full, but it was quiet and I saw alot of empty seats.

If the restaurant was full or had a private party, at least have the decency to tell us, so we don't waste our time waiting around.
We waited a few more minutes, after that, we just gave up and left.
We dine out alot and this is the first time something like this has happened.
We didn't feel welcomed at all. There are plenty of other restaurants nearby and frankly with poor service like that, I won't be coming back.

Last edited by 604DREAMER; 08-19-2008 at 12:25 AM.
604DREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #679
Ebisu Boss

Unhappy

huh?! Are you serious? That has never happened before.. 10 minutes? hm... that's a long time ... My apologies on behalf of the negligent staff
Either myself, my assistant, the cashier or any and all servers that pass by the front acknowledge or even take you to a seat themselves..
Unless it's a weekend where I have 2 dedicated hostess to arrange the seating because there are usually so many reservations that it's full house and the seating needs to be carefully adjusted. Even then with both hostess busy either cleaning a table for the next reservation or finding an empty seat, there are 2 more cashiers that take up the front to get names down on the waiting list..
I've never seen anyone at the front left unattended for more than a couple minutes, maybe it was my day off? Usually it's off-the-walls busy for a chance that would happen. Strange it should happen though .. I'll see to it. Can you remember which day it was exactly so I can pinpoint which staff were on shift?

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718

Last edited by Obsideon; 08-19-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #680
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.201314% View Post
wait a second, i saw one on broadway near cactus club... how did i not know about this?

or am i just smoking too much skunk weed (which im not) :P
I noticed the sign too. Are they going to occupy the space above Bread Garden?

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #681
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
huh?! Are you serious? That has never happened before, I find it hard to imagine that's even possible. 10 minutes? hm .. please don't embellish if possible ... that's a long time ...
Either myself, my assistant, the cashier or any and all servers that pass by the front acknowledge or even take you to a seat themselves..
Unless it's a weekend where I have 2 dedicated hostess to arrange the seating because there are usually so many reservations that it's full house and the seating needs to be carefully adjusted. Even then with both hostess busy either cleaning a table for the next reservation or finding an empty seat, there are 2 more cashiers that take up the front to get names down on the waiting list.
My entire tenure working there I've never seen anyone at the front left unattended for more than a couple minutes, and that's if it's off-the-walls busy. Strange it should happen now .. I'll see to it. Can you remember which day it was exactly so I can pinpoint which staff were on shift?
Come to think of it, that actually happened to me a while back at Ebisu as well, it was either a Friday or Saturday evening. My friends and I were standing around the waiting area for about 5-10 minutes for a waiter/waitress to attend us and nobody came. If you know me, you would know that I'm pretty hard to miss and we were the only group standing there. So, after about 5-10 minutes, and nobody came, my friends and I decided to leave.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #682
Ebisu Boss

How far back? I recently started staffing more hostesses on the weekend, hopefully it won't happen anymore!

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #683
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
huh?! Are you serious? That has never happened before.. 10 minutes? hm... that's a long time ... My apologies on behalf of the negligent staff
Unless it's a weekend where I have 2 dedicated hostess to arrange the seating because there are usually so many reservations that it's full house and the seating needs to be carefully adjusted. Even then with both hostess busy either cleaning a table for the next reservation or finding an empty seat, there are 2 more cashiers that take up the front to get names down on the waiting list..
I've never seen anyone at the front left unattended for more than a couple minutes, maybe it was my day off? Usually it's off-the-walls busy for a chance that would happen. Strange it should happen though .. I'll see to it. Can you remember which day it was exactly so I can pinpoint which staff were on shift?
I was there on August 3 either 7PM or 8PM. We were the only ones waiting for a table and there was no one working the front.
604DREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #684
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604DREAMER View Post
I was there on August 3 either 7PM or 8PM. We were the only ones waiting for a table and there was no one working the front.
Ah so a Sunday ... my day off
I'll talk to my assistant and the cashier for Sunday.

Thanks for the heads up and I really hope that you can give Ebisu another chance. It's rarely like that.

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 08-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #685
Ubereem Mod

Thanks for being the starting point for my very bad hangover. Great host. good ...or actually bad drinks cuz they destroyed me!

Good hosting!

Cheers!
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:02 AM   #686
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i was at ebisu.. i think a few weeks back with two of my friends. deon was kind enough to still give me a vip card thanks!! the food was good (esp the rolls!), but service could be better.. there was a wedding happening that night as well, so im guessing this place is quite popular.
moussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #687
無敵

I plan to go there within the next few days.
Hopefully we won't have to wait almost 2 hours again (although we were told 30-45mins)
Last few times the waitresses forgot a lot of orders and added stuff we didn't order to the bill and it took forever to flag anyone down to come fix it as they were chatting with each other. It was a few months back so.. it never hurts to try again ^^
muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #688
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Just a heads up:

There's going to be some games (Try Putting for prizes drunk!), free beer samples of Honey Lager, Pale Ale, etc and then more importantly, there's going to be BEER GIRLS too!

Also going to be a draw for a $400 Golf bag! Also some free giveaways and some golf passes to Mayfair Lakes Golf course!
Stop having events on Thursdays, I can't come!
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #689
Ebisu Boss

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604DREAMER View Post
Hey Dreamer,

I did some investigation and dug up some information. I found out about Aug 3rd, that day I was out of town and the hostess/cashier called in sick an hour before her shift started (she no longer works here), so they were basically missing the main person responsible to bring you to the table. They were understaffed and it was quite busy (judging from the sales report for that night).. you said you saw that it wasn't busy? There might be a chance that the back section (you can't see it from the front area) was packed (big parties tend to book the back section) but that's just speculation anyway.
I know that is no excuse and is of no relevance to the way you got treated but I hope it clarifies everything a little bit and shows that we are usually not like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
I noticed the sign too. Are they going to occupy the space above Bread Garden?
We are going to be using the same spot formerly occupied by Kamakura, nice little tucked away area for some cozy parties! Renovations should be completed around September'ish

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718

Last edited by Obsideon; 08-21-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #690
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
hey went there for lunch a couple days ago, i for the bento box b i think. I have a question can u just order a massive bowl of chicken teriyaki. like that stuff i so fuking good i could eat it all day. like i want to order the combo plus a massive bowl. shit that stuff is good
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #691
Ebisu Boss

Haha sure bud no problem next time you drop by just ask for a "massive bowl of chicken teriyaki" and I'm sure we can come up with something!

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #692
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Haha sure bud no problem next time you drop by just ask for a "massive bowl of chicken teriyaki" and I'm sure we can come up with something!
awesome that is great
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #693
ww
Need to Seek Professional Help

Those two issues of people having problems getting seated are not isolated. A couple months ago my gf and I visited around 2pm on a weekday for a late lunch. The restaurant was not busy at all and there were some staff walking around. We stood there for a few minutes, while staff was walking back and forth. We decided to look at the menu for another few minutes... still no one paying any attention to us even though they saw us. After 7-10 minutes waiting we just said screw it and left, while nobody once said a word to us.

As this seems to be a common problem, I would suggest talking to your staff whether they are hosts/hostessses or not. If they aren't the host/hostess then they should be able to find someone who can help them out as someone already mentioned. This is the first line of contact between you and the customer and it's pretty important for repeat business. Also, Obsideon, how do you know it's never happened before if the customer is at the front unattended and decides to leave?
ww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #694
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Just a heads up:

I might be heading down that night with a friend. I'll make sure to flag you down if I'm there
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #695
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooker24 View Post
Those two issues of people having problems getting seated are not isolated. A couple months ago my gf and I visited around 2pm on a weekday for a late lunch. The restaurant was not busy at all and there were some staff walking around. We stood there for a few minutes, while staff was walking back and forth. We decided to look at the menu for another few minutes... still no one paying any attention to us even though they saw us. After 7-10 minutes waiting we just said screw it and left, while nobody once said a word to us.

As this seems to be a common problem, I would suggest talking to your staff whether they are hosts/hostessses or not. If they aren't the host/hostess then they should be able to find someone who can help them out as someone already mentioned. This is the first line of contact between you and the customer and it's pretty important for repeat business. Also, Obsideon, how do you know it's never happened before if the customer is at the front unattended and decides to leave?
I have talked to them about it, since you stated that happened a few months ago I hope it won't happen again since.
As for your question I figure when I'm at the restaurant, I'm always at or close to the front or I always see my staff at the front and even my waitresses acknowlegdge of bring in the customers directly. The only way it could happen is when I'm not present.

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #696
ww
Need to Seek Professional Help

Too bad you aren't there 24/7 because then the service would be good all the time. =p It's a shame though because the food is good
ww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:18 AM   #697
Formerly a member of Revscene

I don't really get why waiters and waitresses should be pulling double duty and seating people... having worked in a restaurant, they're usually really busy already...
CoochMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #698
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

i was at ebisu.. and these two chicks broke the table i was sitting on !! lol !!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #699
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

hmmmmmm
did i hear VIP card a few posts earlier?
deon, you and i need to have a little word
i would come much more often if i got ahold of this elusive VIP card
fille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #700
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

mine's been on hold for the past 2 years
mako is offline   Reply With Quote