REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #51
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
How much should I be paying for airfare? I've looked and prices jump from $900 to $3000.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #52
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
http://www.oasishongkong.com/intro.aspx?locale=en-CA

You should be able to get a round trip to HK for about $600 CAD
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #53
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally posted by bcrdukes
How much should I be paying for airfare? I've looked and prices jump from $900 to $3000.
Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyPupp
http://www.oasishongkong.com/intro.aspx?locale=en-CA

You should be able to get a round trip to HK for about $600 CAD
Depends on when you want to go. Right now, everything cheap with Oasis is booked until like next March. Also book one way with the Canadian site and then one way back with the HK site. Will save you around $75-$100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally posted by RFlush
Depends on when you want to go. Right now, everything cheap with Oasis is booked until like next March. Also book one way with the Canadian site and then one way back with the HK site. Will save you around $75-$100.
There are plenty of $339 tickets available in October. Lots of $299 tickets in November and December from the few short searches I did.

So I don't know what you're talking about.

You are right about buying tickets in HKD however. Provided your credit card company isn't screwing you with shitty exchange rates.

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 10-04-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #55
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyPupp
There are plenty of $339 tickets available in October. Lots of $299 tickets in November and December from the few short searches I did.

So I don't know what you're talking about.

You are right about buying tickets in HKD however. Provided your credit card company isn't screwing you with shitty exchange rates.
Shit when in December? I couldn't find any of the $299 tickets. Well, I guess you are right, I was looking for when after school finishes. What dates did you see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally posted by RFlush
Shit when in December? I couldn't find any of the $299 tickets. Well, I guess you are right, I was looking for when after school finishes. What dates did you see?
The first search I did was in early December

BTW Cathay has a good deal right now, a round trip from HK to Vancouver for like $4480 HKD ($575 CAD) plus tax of course
Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

Questions About Getting Around HK

I have a few questions regarding HK that I hope some of you can answer. This will be my first time to HK in more than 10 years, rightfully so, many things have changed since the last time I visited. Hopefully, I can find my answers here.

I will continue to ask questions in addition to your responses, or those that have never came across my mind.

Anyway here goes:

1. What is the schedule for the MTR? Does it run 24 hours? I cannot find it on their website.

2. Is purchasing an Airport Express (Tourist) Pass a cost-effective way to travel around HK? or Is it better for me to just stick with the Octopus Pass?

3. In addition to Question #1, Can I simply rely on the MTR to get around to most tourist and frequently-visited destinations with moderate walking? Or do I have to transfer onto local buses as well?

For your reference, I will be staying in Causeway Bay/Wanchai

4. What are some of the must-do's and must-sees in the HK/Kowloon/Macau area?

5. If I buy an Airport Express Pass, and I wish to travel to areas like (Tuen Muen) where I don't have unlimited travel to, do I need to purchase an additional octopus card or can my Airport Express Pass act as an Octopus Pass?

That's all I can think of for now! Thanks in advance.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
I can see no reason why the MTR wouldn't run 24 hours. MTR >>> Skytrain

Apart from that, sorry I can't help with your other questions...

Edit: Guess I was wrong about the MTR being available 24/7...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 01-11-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #59
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

mtr closes at like 1 or 2 am i think, they have a schedule on the walls of each entrance ( i think .... )

yes you'd be able to get to most tourist locations with the mtr. infact u can get almost anywhere u'd want to go with it + moderate walking ...

if u plan on going out at night then taxi is ur main choice =] 15 to start, every .2 km after the 2 km (free from the 15) is $1.4 UNLESS u plan to learn bus routes .... which i doubt = =

i have no idea wat an airport express card is hah but i dont think it will work the same as an octopus card
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #60
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

airport express is pretty expensive compare to alternatives but very convinient
as a result, AE is almost always less than 30% full while i was in HK
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #61
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by chinook79
airport express is pretty expensive compare to alternatives but very convinient
as a result, AE is almost always less than 30% full while i was in HK
I'm purchasing the Airport Express Pass because it comes with 3 days of unlimited travel (on most lines) and it comes with a one way to or from the airport..
Old 01-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #62
Retired moderator

Re: Questions About Getting Around HK

Quote:
Originally posted by willystyle
1. What is the schedule for the MTR? Does it run 24 hours? I cannot find it on their website.
The last MTR run is at 12:30am. Each MTR interval depending on which line is from 2-6mins. Most are usually within 1-2 mins of eachother especially if you're on HK Island.

Quote:
2. Is purchasing an Airport Express (Tourist) Pass a cost-effective way to travel around HK? or Is it better for me to just stick with the Octopus Pass?

I would get an Octopus Card, especially when you're going to travel a bit on the public transportation (except taxi). A $100HKD deposit on the card I think....and then you add the desired amount you want. $50 being the minimal amount...I think. Once you return the Octopus card at any Service Center at any MTR station you will get that $100 back.

The Octopus card acts as a credit card as well, you can use on any public transportation (except cabs) as said above and used at any 7-11 and other stores.

Quote:
3. In addition to Question #1, Can I simply rely on the MTR to get around to most tourist and frequently-visited destinations with moderate walking? Or do I have to transfer onto local buses as well?

For your reference, I will be staying in Causeway Bay/Wanchai
MTR would be the most convenient. Bus would be the most cost efficient unless if you're traveling with 5 other ppl then taxi is sometimes pretty good.

Expect to do some walking even with MTR Stations, depending on when you go to HK, its not bad. 5-15 min walk max. There would be certain sights like The Peak that would require you to take a taxi or a bus there. If you know Chinese, use it! 90% of the time Hongers will know the bus systems.

Buses run at certain times, after hour buses are usually marked with a "N" (night bus) They are unlike Vancouver ones...they're awesome.

Quote:
4. What are some of the must-do's and must-sees in the HK/Kowloon/Macau area?
HK is all about shopping and eating. You can essentially spend a day in each district/MTR station

Kowloon:
Cheung Sha Wan/Lai Chi Kok is lined with retail outlets and factories, you can get some awesome clothes there for cheap

Mong Kok/Jordan/Yau Ma Tei - Major cheap clothes & cell phones. Don't expect any of them to last and I dont suggest you get a phone from there, unless you know waht you are doing...ALWAYS find a local to go with you when purchasing phones. If you're a girl dont stand on the streets for long, ppl might assume you're a whore...no joke. Temple Street is good to check out at night.

Sham Shui Po - There's a place where you can get cheap electronics adn computer soft/hardware, a street that sells beads, etc. Good place to shop.

Kwai Fong - in the new world plaza or something there's a stall with apparently the best "boot jiy" cakes there? I tried it...but that was my first time so I can't compare. It was good though.

TST - filled with attractions, brand name stores, clubs. Spasso is an italian restaurant with some really good beef tenderloin and risotto...but it'll take you a good few hours before your food arrives...

Check out where the old airport use to be, its like a new Thai town now.

HK Island:

Wan Chai - there's a strip of bars and clubs there....kinda not my scene, its a lot rowdier lined with scantily clad south eastern women. But Crayon and I did have a nice drink at Heat in Wan Chai and some Chinese restaurant called ABC or American Restaurant is ok there.

Central - there's a small place where ppl line up for egg tarts all the time. Go try it out! Fun souvenirs at GOD - Dew No More or something? Soho & LKF is where all the whities and foreign born asians are. Feather Boa at Soho has bad service, hard to find, overly crowded but has IMO best strawberry daiquiris. Central is a place where you should just walk it...even the HILLY parts.

CWB - Times Square is good, and some good eats around that area. Health Touch Foot Spa & Nail on Sugar Street is a place I like to visit for a relaxing foot massage. Clean, nice ambience and very very cheap during the day.

Chek Chu? - the little markets are cute and it's like another White Rock right? Good for pictures and stuff.

Ok I can go on forever with this...so i'll stop here.

Quote:
5. If I buy an Airport Express Pass, and I wish to travel to areas like (Tuen Muen) where I don't have unlimited travel to, do I need to purchase an additional octopus card or can my Airport Express Pass act as an Octopus Pass?
Octopus Card is universal in the Hong Kong. Go check out the Gold Coast or something in Tuen Mun...it's a fun place to be, a good restaurant there as well. I would take a bus there.

Yuen Long - the locals call it Mushroom Stand (Doong Good Ting) they have the BEST pork riblings there (pai gwut) It's dirty and hot but the food is good.

Tsuen Wan - There this place with amazing noodles and another small diner place with the best chicken wings. This place is awesome for food and I visited an awesome Tin Hau temple there in the Luk Yeung area, a place that not alot of tourists know, only Tsuen Wan locals. A great place to take pix for sure cuz its clean!

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #63
HELP ME PLS!!!

Re: Re: Questions About Getting Around HK

Quote:
Originally posted by Girl
The last MTR run is at 12:30am. Each MTR interval depending on which line is from 2-6mins. Most are usually within 1-2 mins of eachother especially if you're on HK Island.

I would get an Octopus Card, especially when you're going to travel a bit on the public transportation (except taxi). A $100HKD deposit on the card I think....and then you add the desired amount you want. $50 being the minimal amount...I think. Once you return the Octopus card at any Service Center at any MTR station you will get that $100 back.

The Octopus card acts as a credit card as well, you can use on any public transportation (except cabs) as said above and used at any 7-11 and other stores.

MTR would be the most convenient. Bus would be the most cost efficient unless if you're traveling with 5 other ppl then taxi is sometimes pretty good.

Expect to do some walking even with MTR Stations, depending on when you go to HK, its not bad. 5-15 min walk max. There would be certain sights like The Peak that would require you to take a taxi or a bus there. If you know Chinese, use it! 90% of the time Hongers will know the bus systems.

Buses run at certain times, after hour buses are usually marked with a "N" (night bus) They are unlike Vancouver ones...they're awesome.

HK is all about shopping and eating. You can essentially spend a day in each district/MTR station

Kowloon:
Cheung Sha Wan/Lai Chi Kok is lined with retail outlets and factories, you can get some awesome clothes there for cheap

Mong Kok/Jordan/Yau Ma Tei - Major cheap clothes & cell phones. Don't expect any of them to last and I dont suggest you get a phone from there, unless you know waht you are doing...ALWAYS find a local to go with you when purchasing phones. If you're a girl dont stand on the streets for long, ppl might assume you're a whore...no joke. Temple Street is good to check out at night.

Sham Shui Po - There's a place where you can get cheap electronics adn computer soft/hardware, a street that sells beads, etc. Good place to shop.

Kwai Fong - in the new world plaza or something there's a stall with apparently the best "boot jiy" cakes there? I tried it...but that was my first time so I can't compare. It was good though.

TST - filled with attractions, brand name stores, clubs. Spasso is an italian restaurant with some really good beef tenderloin and risotto...but it'll take you a good few hours before your food arrives...

Check out where the old airport use to be, its like a new Thai town now.

HK Island:

Wan Chai - there's a strip of bars and clubs there....kinda not my scene, its a lot rowdier lined with scantily clad south eastern women. But Crayon and I did have a nice drink at Heat in Wan Chai and some Chinese restaurant called ABC or American Restaurant is ok there.

Central - there's a small place where ppl line up for egg tarts all the time. Go try it out! Fun souvenirs at GOD - Dew No More or something? Soho & LKF is where all the whities and foreign born asians are. Feather Boa at Soho has bad service, hard to find, overly crowded but has IMO best strawberry daiquiris. Central is a place where you should just walk it...even the HILLY parts.

CWB - Times Square is good, and some good eats around that area. Health Touch Foot Spa & Nail on Sugar Street is a place I like to visit for a relaxing foot massage. Clean, nice ambience and very very cheap during the day.

Chek Chu? - the little markets are cute and it's like another White Rock right? Good for pictures and stuff.

Ok I can go on forever with this...so i'll stop here.

Octopus Card is universal in the Hong Kong. Go check out the Gold Coast or something in Tuen Mun...it's a fun place to be, a good restaurant there as well. I would take a bus there.

Yuen Long - the locals call it Mushroom Stand (Doong Good Ting) they have the BEST pork riblings there (pai gwut) It's dirty and hot but the food is good.

Tsuen Wan - There this place with amazing noodles and another small diner place with the best chicken wings. This place is awesome for food and I visited an awesome Tin Hau temple there in the Luk Yeung area, a place that not alot of tourists know, only Tsuen Wan locals. A great place to take pix for sure cuz its clean!
Your responses were very informative, Thanks for taking the time for the write-up. I think I will stick with the Airport Express Travel Pass that entitles me to 3 days of unlimited usage (using most of their MRT lines) and a round trip to and from the airport for $250HKD..

Convenience is key, remembering their bus routes may add unnecessary hassle..

Anyway, Thanks V! Haven't seen you since BP. =)
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #64
Retired moderator

^LOL oh what? you know me? BP? oy...

Really depends on how long you go there though, if you're going for more then 3 days then I'd get the octopus card cuz unless you're going to be travelling around like crazy or going from New Territories to across the harbor, you're probably not going to be using that amount (mind you HK is very small)

If I were you, i'd check the fares on their website and do a quick add-up to see which is the best deal.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #65
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
someone has already posted enough no need to add more.

people in hk are very nice (in general) and they can speak english without problem (vs. thailand, japan, korea)

you'll never get lost. just go back to the closest MTR station.

lastly., have fun shopping and eating. eating at Mcdicks is like $2.75 vs. it's like 8 bucks for a full meal.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #66
Retired moderator

Threads have been merged.

-Recreation & Travel Mod Team

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Old 01-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #67
I STILL don't get it

if you want a good place for dim sum, go to leen heung in central. it's an original styled place and remains unchanged from when it first opened.
leilomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #68
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

aside from shopping and eating. is there anything unique in HK to visit? im bored already and i've been here for a day..
dna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #69
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

i was there for 3 weeks in dec, go to tuen mun and visit the village girls.
go clubbing, get laid, do it over again
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #70
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post

Has anyone who is not a hong kong resident done this? The HK Tourism website says you need some kind of proof of a return or onward ticket unless they're headed to Macau or China.

Last edited by misteranswer; 03-25-2008 at 09:14 AM.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #71
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
Has anyone who is not a hong kong resident done this? The HK Tourism website says you need some kind of proof of a return or onward ticket unless they're headed to Macau or China.
potentially, they could turn you back if you only have a one way ticket.
but they don't care, the imigration guys never say anything. wouldn't worry about it. they'll see your canadian passport and won't hassle you.
dna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #72

You don't need any proof of an outbound ticket. The only people who ask about this are idiots at the airlines
Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #73

where are the must go to malls to go shopping at in hk?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:16 AM   #74
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Harbour City, IFC, Pacific Place, Landmark, Times Square, Festival Walk

That's about it... 'maybe' you can add Langham Place to the list
Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlaomu View Post
Bulk up and speak fluent English constantly, or, just have a fat wallet. You'll see a stampede of Honger chicks running behind you and keep you company for, not just 2 weeks, but as long as these chicks can keep you until your wallet turn dry
if its about the wallet you can speak whatever language you want and chicks will come up to you constantly in any country!