REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #176
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
You should see the jewelry stores, all the mainland people are buying up all the gold there. The Harbor center down where the big duck is, it's a crazy today (Saturday), people are pushing you from behind and it's like people never seen a floating duck in the water before.

[/URL]
gold prices have dropped a bit recently lol. there's a 3-month wait list for those thick gold bracelets bride's get during the tea ceremony
Advertisement
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #177
I bringith the lowerballerith

I was just in HK and it was awesome!

Not sure how you can be bored in the city unless you have lived there for a long ass time.

Just going out to anywhere is an adventure itself.

I'll contribute to the thread with my duck picture!

IMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg

Note: That couple pic is not me but some couple taking their wedding picture there.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #178
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
So tired of that fucking duck lol
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #179
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So tired of that fucking duck lol
I feel you bro.... 3 more weeks of this shit.

On a side note, what are some good hiking spots skinny? I only know about dragons back
Posted via RS Mobile
bbbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #180
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #181

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Irony...."Made In China"
Old 07-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #182
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hey guys is 10 days too much for just Hong Kong?
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #183

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
^yes, unless u plan to party it down

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #184
My homepage has been set to RS

more than 10 days are good to go
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #185
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I was there for 7 days a couple months ago and it wasn't enough! So much to eat, so much to see! If you have 10 days you can even spend a day in Macau, or a quick ride over to Shen Zhen.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #186
G
Banned (BBM)

Damn, tickets to HK during December are so expensive T_T
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #187

has anyone gone to the mall called "IFC" ? Last time I went to HK, I only went to Harbour city which in my opinion is the best mall in HK

how does IFC compare to Harbour city?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #188
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
I'd rather hit up Elements than IFC
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #189
Ebisu Boss

Both malls are full of high end shops (Chanel, Gucci, LV, etc) that cost more than buying them in Vancouver, personally I wouldn't waste my time there as there's so much more to see and do in HK but if the weather is shit then you can walk around there to kill time (or if you are balling out of control then feel free to buy whatever lol).

You can hit up the same shops in the States for cheaper, HK is all about the street hawkers (you may not buy anything but it's still an experience in itself)
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #190
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
There are probably 5 different types of malls:

Luxury malls - IFC, Elements, Harbour City - these are catered to hordes of tourists from mainland china, and possibly the occasional HKer

Youth malls - APM, Langham Place, Popcorn, WTC - these are catered to young people. They have slightly more interesting things to see, and you might actually buy something there. However in recent years these have begun catering more and more to mainland shoppers, and the more interesting stores are being pushed out in favour of luxury goods and herbalists.

Small Youth Malls - similar to above, but usually tiny malls with narrow hallways. These have the most unique, independent stores, and are one of the few mall types that aren't taken over by the same chain stores all the time. These are found throughout all of HK with quite a few in MK

Normal malls - Telford Plaza, Festival Walk, Metroplaza, etc, etc, etc. Basically one at every MTR stop, each one pretty much exactly like the other.

urban malls - too many to name, always have chinese names (Kai Tin, Lung Cheung, Hau Tak, are some I can recall OTTOMH) - also near every MTR and urban area are smaller malls with some smaller stores, usually a grocery store, some independent clothing stores, pharmacies, etc. They usually have a wet market on the ground floor, and sometimes a public food market. These are sometimes connected to the 'normal malls'.

Not sure where Megabox fits into the spectrum.. it seems to want to be a 'youth mall' but aside from the design, there aren't many stores to shop at. It used to have a B&Q (british Home Depot) and a huge craft store but as if HKers are interested in renovating their own homes and making their own crafts. It's now an Ikea and some furniture store. It looks cool, but IMO not worth going to, especially since it's not especially convenient. I used to go there after gym every day for a great deal at a viet restaurant, but the quality went way down and prices went up

If you're visiting, you will probably only be interested in the luxury malls, since they can be for sight seeing as well, and the youth malls. You might check out some 'normal malls' too since you can get good deals sometimes. It might be more interested to check out the individual shopping areas.. MK for electronics and cameras, SSP for computer stuff, CWB for fashion, The small urban malls are more for day to day living, but if you are in need of cheaper restaurants, pharmacies, etc, then you might end up at one.

I have NO idea why I wrote all that, especially since I am suffering from writers block when attempting to work, but there ya go
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #191
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I like Elements because its like Lansdowne, empty, full of stuff to look at while not needing to buy anything.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #192
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,003 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Both malls are full of high end shops (Chanel, Gucci, LV, etc) that cost more than buying them in Vancouver, personally I wouldn't waste my time there as there's so much more to see and do in HK but if the weather is shit then you can walk around there to kill time (or if you are balling out of control then feel free to buy whatever lol).

You can hit up the same shops in the States for cheaper, HK is all about the street hawkers (you may not buy anything but it's still an experience in itself)
Huh. Are you sure that the high end stuff is cheaper in North America besides outlets? There's that tax and all...
prelude_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #193
Ebisu Boss

Yes I'm sure, comparing the prices of many of the same bags at The Forum in Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas to Harbour City, even after taxes you will save roughly 5%-15% easily.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #194
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
luxury brand goods are generally more expensive in asia than here.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #195
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Trust me, south-east asia is extremely fashion-forward, and the obsession with luxury brands is much stronger. It's almost mandatory to keep up with the latest trends and models. hefty price tags from luxury brands that you've probably never even heard of.

it's pretty much a given that prices will go for much higher over there than here

There are certain brands in malls that go for cheaper, and if you're looking for something a bit more affordable I would suggest seeking out those. Keep in mind though, most of these brands are ones exclusive to hong kong, and quite possibly europe.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #196
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Don't even need to go as far as luxury brands.. even freaking grandmothers in HK have the latest smartphone...

Everyone on the MTR is on their phone too.. lol

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #197

i wish Vancouver would have like big individual luxury brand stores like the ones in TST H.K

the only ones we have here are scattered around downtown and are not even tall with big led lightings....
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #198
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
i wish Vancouver would have like big individual luxury brand stores like the ones in TST H.K

the only ones we have here are scattered around downtown and are not even tall with big led lightings....
This exactly proves my point.... there is no consumer demand - therefore, no supply is necessary

That being said, vancouver is making baby steps in the direction, with nordstrom, saks 5th, uniqlo, etc.

zomg speaking of uniqlo, used to love that shit, it's all over hk

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #199
Ebisu Boss

^ +1
Pretty much 70% of all the clothes I bought in Japan/HK was from Uniqlo! Decent quality and cheap!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #200
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

did anyone count how many Chow Tai fook and Chow Sang Sang shops there are? they are everywhere !!
tru_blue is offline   Reply With Quote