REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #2476
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Does anyone know if there will be a newer version of the Panasonic LX100 that will be coming out?
Advertisement
tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #2477
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Considering the D750. You guys think the price will drop sometime closer to Black Friday or Christmas?

Also thought about the Sony a7ii but I'll end up spending more or less the same as D750 once I factor in the adaptor mount for my Nikon. Although I do love the smaller size and less weight for portability and travel.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #2478
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Things will be cheaper for the holiday season, I'm sure.

Unless you're shooting in a studio, I wouldn't buy any DSLR, really. Mirrorless is the way.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #2479
I am Hook'd on RS

Are there other photography classifieds I can look search for some deals? I'm looking for a sony RX100
Pho Dac Biet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #2480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Things will be cheaper for the holiday season, I'm sure.

Unless you're shooting in a studio, I wouldn't buy any DSLR, really. Mirrorless is the way.

Man, I definitely need to go visit the camera store and play with the mirrorless cameras to see what this is all about lol.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #2481
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Man, I definitely need to go visit the camera store and play with the mirrorless cameras to see what this is all about lol.
Unless you need quick AF tracking or FF DOF control or are a professional shooter, like Ronin said there's no reason to go full DSLR. Ronin and I are both using the Fuji system and both came from FF SLRs. There are shortcomings for sure (af tracking speed and omg battery life SUCKS) but from a purely photography standpoint it doesn't get much better.

Also, Fuji's lens lineup is probably the best imo with respect to mirrorless lenses. If you look up reviews on some of the newer primes, people are absolutely gaga over them.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #2482
...in the world.

I don't care what features DSLRs have over mirrorless. The weight savings are everything. What good is a camera you don't carry? I can carry my X-T1 + 16 + 35 + 56 all day but the same combo with my 5D3 would be three times heavier.

I would've kept the 5D3 as a studio camera but after shooting with the X-T1 since March, I like the images I get from it even better than the 5D so all my Canon gear is now sold. I might pick up a Panasonic GH4 or G7 for video because Fuji is awful at video.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #2483

The thing is I love my Nikon 24-70 to death. I really want to keep this lens. If I were to go mirrorless setup with Fujifilm/Sony setup, would a lens adaptor work? I have read some reviews of these lens adaptors not being able to carry over the auto-focus when mounted on the mirrorless?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #2484

You won't have the exact same DOF control, but Fuji's 16-50 2.8 seems to test and review very well. You may not even need to go with adapters

But to answer your question, I don't think Fuji has a Metabones (or any smart) adapter for Nikon. Assuming you have a newer 24-70 with no aperture ring, there wouldn't be any way to set aperture if you used it on a Fuji. This is not the case with Canon, which can AF and control aperture with a Metabones adapter.

Edit: I'm wrong: http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_NF-X-BM1

But still, with how well the 16-50 is received you might have a more native solution if you went Fuji.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #2485
...in the world.

Nope. If you want AF, I don't think Nikon has an adapter that works for any mirrorless system yet. I believe Canon AF works on Micro Four Thirds with a Speedbooster XL. Doing this isn't practical though and would pretty much negate any weight savings.

The Fuji 16-50 F2.8 is a great lens and really, pretty much every lens made in the last few years that isn't a cheap piece of junk is a good lens. All new cameras are good cameras now. Anyone that thinks there's a serious difference between a new Canon 24-70 and a new Nikon 24-70 is insane. If you spend the money, the equipment will be good. I haven't used a bad camera in years but I can't be bothered to pixel peep at 400%.

DOF won't get as shallow as FF but I haven't noticed one bit since going APS-C from a FF camera 6 months ago.

Buy a small camera that fits your shooting style, carry that thing every damn day and shoot constantly. That's way more important than some negligible difference on an MTF chart or an AF system that focuses in 0.005s instead of 0.006s.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #2486

In my experience moving from a 6D to a XE-2 there were more than a few jarring adjustments that initially made me think about going back to a DSLR. The three with Fuji for me were:
  1. Battery life is HORRENDOUS. Instead of carrying 1-2 spares, I'm carrying 3-4. Granted the batteries are smaller, but there's no denying the lack of battery life for mirrorless.
  2. The AF is nowhere near as good as even an entry-level DSLR. I'm not talking acquisition speed because phase detect is more than good enough. I'm talking low-light lock ability and tracking ability. I could make do with my 6D's center point when shooting the odd sport. With my Fuji, I get maybe 50-60% as many keepers. And in low-light, my 6D was almost always accurate using the center point. I can't say the same with my Fuji.
  3. The high-iso noise reduction for Fuji is very aggressive. VERY aggressive.

And that's on top of the stress of moving to a completely different system.

If you can Euro, try and find a place that'll rent whatever you think you might want to try out to you (or borrow a friend's). I've learned to live with the shortcomings that bug me because not only was I actually taking photos for once and not leaving my camera at home because it was too big, but also because I was getting 90% of what I was used to getting with my 6D in a way smaller package. I've even found that I'm post-processing less because the Fuji jpegs are beautiful most of the time.

You undoubtedly find your own issues with mirrorless because they aren't direct replacements to a DSLR. But if you get past them, I have no doubt you'll enjoy using it more than any DSLR.

(this is assuming you're not a professional shooting paid gigs, and the camera is strictly for pleasure)
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #2487
...in the world.

That's why you need an X-T1. AF is quick. Not DSLR quick but quick enough.

Battery life is still sorta bad. 200-250-ish shots. I have 5 batteries. Will probably buy some more. I'll be shooting for almost 8 hours at We Day in October.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #2488
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
I have a Fuji XE2 and really like it, but I love my 6D. With that said, they are a good pair - if all I shot was travel or still life, I could probably make the switch but for me a huge chunk of my shooting is with a telephoto and in motion - mirrorless is still a long ways away from suitably handling that element.

In my experience, the difference between the XE2 and 6D with respect to autofocus in anything other than perfect lighting is more like 1 second vs 0.005 rather than 0.006 vs 0.005. I know the XT1 is an improvement but I have not used one first hand to know just how much of one.

I agree with Ed that the best camera is the one that you take with you, IQ is meaningless if you don't shoot. But with that said, for occasions where I just want to document them, the XE2 is a great alternative, but for occasions that are all about documenting them, there is still a mile between the two systems that keeps me coming back to my Canon.

Mark
Old 09-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
That's why you need an X-T1. AF is quick. Not DSLR quick but quick enough.
Fortunately I've had the pleasure of using one along with my XE2. The AF is noticeably better than the XE2 I'll give you that. But my gripe with mirrorless (and Fuji in general) was that I couldn't even do something that my 6D and its archaic AF module could do, even after familiarizing myself with the system. And as I said before, for 90% of the shots I take, the XE2 is quick enough.

Don't get me wrong- I absolutely love Fuji and would never go back to a DSLR given I'm not a professional. I'd love to add an XT1 or whatever iteration comes next eventually, and their lenses are as good as any L lens I've used (maybe except the 70-200 2.8 mk2). But I'm just outlining some of the obvious drawbacks of moving to the system especially for someone like Euro who hasn't tried them before.

I do hope that the XE2 gets the FW4 AF updates though. Only a month or so until I find out.

As for batteries- I have 4 Wasabis, and they work as well as OEM if not better. I suspect that with 8hrs of shooting you'll need at least 3-4, if not more.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #2490
I am Hook'd on RS

Hey guys, looking at the Sony rx100 mkii vs Sony a5000.

Keeping in mind I won't be buying or swapping lenses very often (probably stick with one prime) which of these 2 cams would be better as a walk around and still vlogging type camera. Assuming price is very close between then 2.
Pho Dac Biet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #2491
...in the world.

Can't really go wrong with the RX100. It's the best camera you can fit in your pocket. If you want something with a slightly larger sensor, I'd recommend the Ricoh GR.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #2492
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
only thing i dont like about my rx100-2 is its not quite wide enough at 28mm.
then again its also the type of shooting i like to do which often is wilderness and landscape
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #2493
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

All this talk about switching to fuji makes me want to return my new DSLR setup. Many good points said by Ronin and m3thods.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #2494

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
All this talk about switching to fuji makes me want to return my new DSLR setup. Many good points said by Ronin and m3thods.
You can always buy, try and return if you don't like it............

Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #2495
...in the world.

Quote:
I'm always right.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #2496
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Definitely on point with your reasons many are switching, but must resist. Until a few issues that I need is addressed. One of them is definitely battery life and second, the prices of fuji lens. No adapters provide photos like native glass. I just shoot random things....so as an all rounder DSLR would be to my advantage.

Fuji in a few years?... maybe.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #2497
...in the world.

Fuji lenses are very good quality. Mostly metal construction and the glass is fantastic. I don't think they're more expensive than other companies. I bought the 16mm F1.4 recently. The Canon 24mm F1.4 is nearly $1800 while the Fuji retails at $1100 I think. The issue is mostly a lack of a budget options but you do get what you pay for.

And battery life is sort of moot, honestly. Just buy more batteries. Wasabi, Chilipower and Watson are reputable and work. $8-12 a battery...just buy a bunch.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #2498
Old School RS

Quote:
and second, the prices of fuji lens
What lenses are cheaper than the Fuji lenses?!?

Mark
Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #2499

I agree with Ronin- many of the premium Fuji lenses are on par IQ-wise with their L equivalents imo all at lower prices. I'm thinking 16, 23, 56, 90, and the 50-140. Yes I know, you're not getting the full DOF control- but for me, the light-gathering ability and increased DOF means less out of focus shots in low light.

That's if my camera would lock on correctly in low light 100%

With most of the premium focal length options out of the way, they're likely going to begin to develop low-cost alternatives. Case and point- the rumoured 35/2 which is supposed to be cheaper than the already cheap 35/1.4
Old 09-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #2500
Old School RS

At $449 the 35 1.4 is the best value in the range IMO. It's quite usable at 1.4 and downright sharp at F2.