REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #2551
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
meh, I got myself a used sony nex 5n for 150$ and can attach my older lens with adapters. Pretty awesome for that price so far with touch screen and everything. I am an amateur so I'll get a much better camera in the future when I do some research about shutter and all that jazz...
Yeah, used.

Because $350 for anything new just isn't happening. The minimum spend is probably the Sony a6000 when it's on sale for $650.

Or else you might as well just use a phone.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #2552
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Check out this site.

B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #2553
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca to find prices for stuff from Canada and the USA for photography equipment. It's a good well updated site. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #2554
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
The Sony RX100 series cameras are fantastic! The current model is the RX100 IV, and the image quality is amazing for such a small camera, thanks to its 1" sensor. I have the RX100 III and it's always with me.

If you want an interchangeable lens camera, then the Fuji XE series is excellent.

I'm also in the same boat with a baby on the way, I need something that can do video and small/compact would be a nice bonus. I'm still using a D700 and I'm hesitant to upgrade as it's still working well and probably still more camera than I really need.

Are these 1" sensor cameras worth the $1k, that's close to mid level DSLR price range. I'm interested in the Nikon DL18-50 or DL24-85 and these should compare well with the RX100's.

The RX100 IV has a EVF, while the Nikon's don't. Is that a showstopper? I've never used one of these cameras, but I guess having a EVF would be nice if the sun is so bright that you can't see the screen.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #2555
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
It's so hard to test out cameras nowadays. Best Buy barely displays any of them. I tried the Rx 100 m4 but I can't seem to take a good picture. It doesn't feel any better than the s120 I have already. I played with the a6300 and I kinda like it. Fast and clear photos. Does anyone have it?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #2556
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Hey guys just need some suggestions, I currently have a Nikon d7000 and a Sony NEX-5 both are kinda old and I want to get into video a bit more, I also have a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 that I really don't want to sell, thinking of getting a used D610 or sell both and get a mirrorless Sony and use the e-mount adapter?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #2557
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Any idea on a ratio on still/video use? Budget?

Depending on how serious you want to go down the video rabbit-hole, your choices can be drastically different depending on the parameters you provide.

Sorry to sound like a dink but there are so many options (as you probably already figured out) that just a bit more info will help narrow down your choices substantially I think.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #2558
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
It's so hard to test out cameras nowadays. Best Buy barely displays any of them.
find a proper camera store for better selection and service

a6300 is a little pricey if you are doing mostly still photos.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #2559
I am Hook'd on RS

I'm thinking about upgrading from my a6000 and was looking at the X-T1. Is the X-T1 still relevant given that the X-T2 is right around the corner? I don't plan on shooting too much video at all thus making the 4k capability in the X-T2 irrelevant for me..
h3opama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3opama View Post
I'm thinking about upgrading from my a6000 and was looking at the X-T1. Is the X-T1 still relevant given that the X-T2 is right around the corner? I don't plan on shooting too much video at all thus making the 4k capability in the X-T2 irrelevant for me..
Are you looking for an upgrade in lens availability? IQ? Camera build?

Coming from the Sony you'll likely see a drop in AF performance (possibly very little difference if you're not shooting action). If you shoot RAW and edit in LR, you may or may not be happy with the Fuji RAW files. If you like traditional ISO performance (and range), then it'll be a bit awkward moving to the Fuji initially.

Personally, the lens lineup for Fuji is enough of an improvement over Sony to go to an XT1 in your case.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #2561
I am Hook'd on RS

i don't do too much sports/action photography and usually shoot in jpeg. I definitely do love the fuji colors and the long range of fuji lenses available. I was considering purchasing a 18-105 f4 for my sony but after doing the math, I could obtain the X-T1 if I held my lens money and sell my a6000 instead. The camera build of the x-t1 is also a plus as well.

My only concern however is the sole fact that i would be buying something that may be considered as "old tech".

I guess my ultimate question is: Is the upgrade to the XT-1 significant enough given that it is currently approximately $800 more than the a6000? Overall image quality?
h3opama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #2562
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
it's like paying 2x the money for a better build quality/colour but quite a few compromises

I would honestly keep using your current system until XT2 drops which should be any day now. If I were in your shoes I'd get buyers remorse when the XT2 is announced.

If you absolutely must jump ships now and don't mind rangefinder-style might as well go xpro2 if you're already spending so much/changing system.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #2563

I agree with twitchy in that it's not really worth the hassle as you have laid it out. If you're not doing much sports/action, then the only real benefit is the weather-resistance and body build of the X-T1 over your Sony (on top of the agreed-upon lens selection superiority of Fuji).

That said, if you absolutely want to jump to Fuji, I'd go ahead and just sell everything, pick up a cheap X-E2 (and upgrade the firmware if it isn't already), then spend your extra money on the lens(es) you really want. Then, when the X-T2/X-PRO2 drop in price you can ditch the X-E2 and upgrade having all the lenses in your stable already.

Full disclosure- I have an X-E2 (having decided against the X-T1). It's an excellent camera for non-action photography. That said, I've shot sports in tons of sunlight and can manage just fine (just not as many keepers as an SLR, but just shoot more).
Old 08-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #2564
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Thoughts on a Fujifilm X-T10 or something similar? X-T1 + lens is a bit out of my budget, even probably after a price drop because of the X-T2. Looking for something to use daily and to replace an outdated dslr and POS.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #2565

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Thoughts on a Fujifilm X-T10 or something similar? X-T1 + lens is a bit out of my budget, even probably after a price drop because of the X-T2. Looking for something to use daily and to replace an outdated dslr and POS.
To answer your question, the X-T10 is a very capable camera and will give you that "Fuji experience" that the X-T1 would've given you.

That said, I'd only pick the X-T10 if you like the form factor over the faux-rangefinder body of the X-E2. After FW4.0, the latter is practically identical to the X-T10 in every way except for the body styling. With that, the X-E2 can be generally had for 100s less on the used market.

If you're indifferent about body styling, I'd go for an X-E2 and use the extra cash for a lens or two.

Full disclosure- I have an X-E2 and have used a friend's X-T10.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #2566
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I just ordered the X-T1 online ($960 Cdn) and going to look at acquiring a lens or two. Through September, the lenses for Fuji are on sale I noticed. Are these sales usually happening often? Debating if I should get everything I want now lol.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #2567
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Yea they tend to happen pretty often. I would say the sale prices should be their normal prices lol. I think it's at least once a quarter? I wouldn't buy a fuji lens that wasn't on sale.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #2568

Don't forget that due to the exchange most prices for items (I see it with other brands as well) will be higher. I believe Fuji raised their prices in the last year by 50-100 bucks.

Depending on what you're looking for, there's an ok-sized market for used on Craigslist. I recently sold my 55-200 on there after only a week posted. There's a few packages as well as a few 23/35 and a 56 I think.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #2569
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
It's so hard to test out cameras nowadays. Best Buy barely displays any of them. I tried the Rx 100 m4 but I can't seem to take a good picture. It doesn't feel any better than the s120 I have already. I played with the a6300 and I kinda like it. Fast and clear photos. Does anyone have it?
Best Buy? Do you shop for cars in a Bed, Bath and Beyond or at a car dealership? Then why wouldn't you go to a camera store? Vancouver is not short of camera stores between Broadway Camera (...cough), Kerrisdale Camera, Beau Photo, Lens and Shutter and Leo's.

All of them would have basically any camera you'd want to buy and they'd have better selection than Best Buy. Best Buy doesn't stock anything real photographers would buy. They sell things to people like my mom.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #2570
...in the world.

RE: X-T1.

I just sold my X-T1 (or rather in the process of selling...have a buyer committed) and ordered an X-T2. I basically made that decision back in like January when I handled the X-Pro2 and found out how much better than new 24MP sensor and X-Trans III processor were compared to the 16MP sensor and X-Trans II.

Couple things that were important to me:

1. Low light performance. Holy shit the X-T2/X-Pro2 blows the X-T1 out of the water in this regard for me. ISO 12800 is totally usable and clean(-ish) and looks like ISO 1600-3200 on the X-T1 in terms of detail and noise. It's night vision goggles with the Arcos filter.

2. Video is usable. X-T1 video is absolute garbage. X-T2 video is legit.

3. Handling. One of the most annoying things about the X-T1 is that they give you all these tactile controls and then make them stupid to use. You have to press a button to unlock ISO and shutter speed and hold while you rotate. That's fucking stupid, especially when the button is a 1mm high nipple button. The new way, you click the lock on or off.

4. Threaded shutter release. LOL small thing but I really want to use soft shutter releases and the X-T1...you had to glue that shit on.

Overall the camera is also quicker, more responsive and better at AF in all situations.

That isn't to say the X-T1 isn't a great camera...it is. I'd continue to use it if the X-T2/X-Pro2 didn't exist but...I get things at a discount and the upgrades were big enough that they made a difference for me.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #2571
...in the world.

That being said, the A6000 is a great camera. It's the one I recommend to everyone if they only have $1000 to spend.

Far and away the best deal in mirrorless cameras when it's on sale. I remember it was $650 with a kit lens. That's insane. I don't really see much reason to get a A6300 over it unless you need 4K video.

It's fast, takes great pictures, has a decent lens lineup (Sony's getting better...).

My only problem with it is my problem with all Sony's...they're appliances. If it were a car, it would be a Hyundai or a Kia. Great car...zero soul. Does not at all feel like a camera when you shoot with it. That's fine for kids that grew up in the digital age and have no idea what a film camera is but for me, the sounds and feel just aren't camera-like.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #2572
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
The X-T10 is fine...but it's not an X-T1. It's feels light and the body is weirdly tall. I did not like shooting with it but....if you can't buy an X-T1 and don't need weather sealing, the sensor and everything is the same in the X-T10 and the X-T1.

Differences are EVF size, weather sealing and UHS-II (high speed SD cards). If that doesn't matter to you, you're getting 90% of an X-T1 for about 60% of the price.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 AM   #2573
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

Hey guys, total photo noob here. Looking to invest in a beginner mirrorless cam primary to take pics of toddler. Have been using our phones for photos (G4 / S6) and has been fine but now that she's moving around more it's harder to get a good shot in. Look for something in the 500-700ish range pretax.

What do you guys suggest?
Sony a5000
Nikon j5
Canon eos m3, m10
Fuji x-a2

Scrolled through last few pages and looks like a6000 is good. Better to just pay the extra 200 and get the instead?

Thx
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #2574
...in the world.

A6000 outclasses everything on that list.

Please don't buy a Nikon J5...
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #2575
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going with a X-T10. Now should I be getting the 18-55mm F2.8-4 OIS Kit lens or a Prime lens? I'll be using this for a variety of photography such as on hikes, walking around the neighbourhood, and it would be nice to photograph things that are about a foot away too.