REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #2376
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Don't automatically assume that Adorama and B&H are cheaper than Canadian stores. For a lot of stuff, they are. But it seems like at least for a good number of high end Canon items, Canadian retailers actually have better prices. Other times, the prices are more or less comparable.

During the past Black Friday / Cyber Monday / Boxing Week sale, for example, Broadway Camera was actually selling their Canon 5D3 and 6D at approximately the same price as B&H.
Don't worry, pretty sure the price is as low as it can get for brand new.
Taking advantage of Nikon (USA)'s instant rebate.
Even taking into consideration the 1.13 exchange rate and possibly tax at the border...I'm still far ahead.
Advertisement
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #2377
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Good to know that despite the exchange rate, things are still working in your favour. I wish I can say the same for the items that I am eyeing.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #2378
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
It seems as though I lost my Olympus EPM1, time to buy a new camera. Any sales going on that I should know about? Suggestions, Hopefully something by this weekend maybe
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #2379
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Anyone know what a used Canon T2i with a kit lens is worth? $250 sound reasonable price to ask?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #2380
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Seems to me that the typical asking price of a T2i is between $250 - $300, while the kit lens (with IS) is $50 - $80.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #2381
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
so im looking to buy my first camera in the coming weeks...wanting to learn photography as a complete amateur and equally important it has to be compact so I kinda ruled out DSLRs.

torn between the EM10 and A6000...both brand spanking new to the market

Sony A6000 vs Olympus OMD EM10 vs Nikon D5300 vs NEX-6 | Cameralabs

Spoiler!

can someone explain how important the bolded points are? I'm guessing the Sony doesn't allow you to preview long exposures and doesn't leave a copy of unedited RAW? What's the advtange of in-body IS besides cost of lens?

any local stores have both on display so I can try out the handling?

doubt i'd be buying lots of lenses so the advantage of m4/3 lens selection doesn't affect me

Sony's continuous AF is nice but i doubt i'll be shooting much action/sports/toddlers

Oly's single AF/lower light performance is preferred, touchscreen convenience is highly preferred

I'm leaning towards the EM10 but I get the feeling the Sony is more futureproofed/has more potential with the higher MP on a nice lens.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-29-2014 at 04:09 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #2382
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
both are good cameras. if you're leaning towards the nex, amazon us is selling the very capable (and only slightly a downgrade to the a6000) nex-6 for a steal of a price of 525USD

Amazon.com : Sony NEX-6L/B 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LED (Black) : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

as for the bold part-

Quote:
The EM10 also lets you dial-in 60 second exposures (vs 30 on the A6000), allows you to trigger ones as long as 30 minutes in-camera without accessories, and lets you peek at long exposures as they build-up.
In the camera, you can set the shutter speed on the Oly to 60s, which isn't common in other cameras. This means you don't need to set the camera to Bulb and use a remote shutter (to reduce camera shake) to trigger the shutter manually while you keep time for anything between 30-60s on the Oly. Anything longer than 60s and you'll likely need a remote. Not a huge deal as it's probably a good idea to have one anyways.

Quote:
The effects filters can be applied to JPEGs while RAW files are left untouched
If you shoot raw, you'll be using a program like Aperture or Lightroom. In camera effects are usually gimmicky, so I don't think this is a huge deal also.

Quote:
there's seven frame AEB
This is the biggest deal. AEB is Auto-Exposure Bracketing. In tough lighting conditions, people use this feature to take multiple exposures of the same picture (-3 Exposure compensation, -2, -1, 0, +1 ,+2, +3, etc). 7 just means you can take 7 shots (other cameras vary from 3 to 5 usually). This is not a huge deal since 2 extra shots isn't a deal breaker imo.

What you should look for is your propensity for acquiring glass. If you want to play around with manual focus, the Sony will be a better choice given you can get a cheap adapter and thus access to older MF lenses. Otherwise the Oly will have a much broader selection of m4/3rd lenses to choose from currently.

If I were you, I'd go Oly or Nex-6. The last paragraph is basically making the decision easy for you. IS is pretty handy, and smaller lenses equal a smaller camera. Personally I'd go Oly.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #2383

yes i saw that this morning...even cheaper now and BHPhoto has it with a 32GB SD card for same price.

i dont mind paying a bit more to get a new sensor etc...the a6000 looks to be a significant upgrade over nex6 except for size and EVF resolution. I told myself if i was buying the outgoing model i would just buy a used nex3 for $250 and call it a day. That and many reviewers seems to be vocal about NEX's cumbersome menu system.

i wouldn't mind playing around with light painting so Olympus is favoured. You can take 30 min exposures without a cable release as well (i thought the remote phone app can double as the cable release for bulb mode for both em10 and a6000 )

I take it the EVF level gauge is going to be pretty handy, but not essential?

i'd figure M4/3 lenses are usually less bulky/lighter than e-mount lenses since IS is done in-body...it's not a significant difference though is it? ie lugging one around your neck all day on a trip/hike?

I like that Sony has pan mode...is that a gimmick or are pans easily achieved with post processing without quality loss in general? edit: nm The Oly has pan in scene mode.

My friend told me if a lot of my scenes are going to be landscape then it's safer to go with the Sony for higher pixel count

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-29-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #2384

Just a heads up. Light painting doesn't require shutter speed north of 10s because the light trail will start to disappear.

I suggest handling both if you can. With smaller cameras, ergonomics is likely a bigger dealbreaker compared to shopping for a dslr. While both cameras are small, carrying them daily over the course of a trip can add up.

If you think you'll be buying extra lenses, the Oly has a much better selection compared to the e-mount catalog. This is not including adapter and old lenses, which favors the Sony. If you're just getting the kit lenses and calling it a day, lens selection is a moot point.

Your friends statement doesn't carry much weight unless you're blowing your landscape pictures up. You likely won't be able to tell the mp difference on the web or small prints. Don't get too caught up with mp count or sensor technology. M4/3 has come a long way and is almost identical in iq to apsc. In a landscape you're likely going to benefit from using aeb to ensure you get just the right exposure (or combine them into an hdr image).
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #2385

comment on the necessity of EVF level gauge?

The only lens I forsee getting is a prime...possibly a wide/ultra-wide.

i think the lack of touchscreen in sony may drive me up the wall @8:58

Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #2386

I've never used an in-camera level. That's what post-processing is for.

As for the touchscreen- it's really up to you. The Oly has enough knobs and dials that it actually doesn't need it, but it's a nice bonus. The Sony lacks dedicated knobs and dials so navigating the menus would benefit from a touch screen. But perhaps moving around it yourself will tell you how important it is.

Btw: Have you considered a Fuji X-E2? My friend has one and raves about it. Since you're only buying one lens, it might be worth a look. It's a great camera with excellent IQ.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #2387

i hear lots of good things but didnt look too much into it because body by itself is already $1K

How's are the non-sony lenses that are compatible with E-mounts with an adapter? Are there quite a few, can they still be purchased or are they just older lenses that can only be purchased used? Do you lose out on certain features compared to a native E-mount? Would any of them not come with IS?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i hear lots of good things but didnt look too much into it because body by itself is already $1K
Yeah sorry I didn't realize it was so expensive. That said, it's an excellent camera (I've used my buddy's, and if I were to downsize, it'd be that or a Sony A7 series/derivative).

Quote:
How's are the non-sony lenses that are compatible with E-mounts with an adapter? Are there quite a few, can they still be purchased or are they just older lenses that can only be purchased used? Do you lose out on certain features compared to a native E-mount? Would any of them not come with IS?
It depends on what adapter you get. Most are "dumb" (as in, they don't relay electronic signals from camera to adapted lens). So that means manual focus and aperture adjustment (if the lens allows it) adjustments for you. That's the biggest difference going with non-OEM lenses with your camera.

As for selection, again it depends what adapter you get. Leica mount, F mount, EF mount, it's up to you. Whichever one you choose will dictate what selection you have. In most cases, you'll be pairing a full-frame lens to a small body, which kind of defeats the purpose of a "travel camera" in hopes of trying to be small, light, and discrete. With IS, I actually don't know if IS is retained as again, most adapters don't relay electronic signals to the lens. I could be wrong, but you'll have to verify that yourself. Using non-OEM lenses is a matter of your tolerance for manual adjustments. Most older glass (especially manual-focus ones) are still excellent and can capture most of the detail from higher-density sensors. And since there wouldn't be electronics to screw up, they will likely last until they break or mold kills them.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #2389

thanks for the feedback

went to try out GX7, EM5, EM10
GX7 had a sweet viewfinder but I didn't like the build quality
EM5/10 was solid but the ergonomics didn't feel great...with OEM grip made a big difference but the weight was dslr territory. The lenses also weren't as compact as I'd expected

came across the A6000 deal for $525 on Dell so I ended up getting that
Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 AM   #2390
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
just a heads up, amazon.com has the nex-6 at a steep discount

Amazon.com : Sony NEX-6L/B 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LED (Black) : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

tho the camera is discontinued, i think its a great great price for what u get
does not ship to canada so pick up in states only
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #2391
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Sony really dropped a huge bomb with the A6000. A good one that is. If you want to shoot video and be super compact and have the option of having a Full Frame DOF using a speedbooster. It's sharper than the Nex7 by a tiny bit, and the high iso video is usable up to ISO6400 While the Nex7 needs serious noise reduction in post after ISO1600.

Fast AF, 11FPS,
If I didn't like tri-navi handling so much on my nex7 I'd sell it to buy the A6000.

For what you get in the A6000 it's a really hard camera to beat for $749 with kit lens. There are enough decent lenses now for APS-C E-mount.

I think if you wait long enough all NEX branded cameras will really drop down in price on remaining stock.
CoLoRs Member #26
For Good or For Awesome?
Nismo200SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #2392

is there a point in buying a focal reducer in that example? For the price of a A6000 + metabones adapter you can pretty much buy an A7. I guess if you have lots of legacy glass or need A6K's 11fps tracking/AF-C
Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #2393
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Currently in the market for a camera thats more compact than a DSLR.

Really considering the Fujifilm x100. But even used its around $600. I love its tones and bokeh and looks very compact. before i go buy one what other cameras should i consider thats fun? Bokeh, and tones are very important. I havent been up to date with cameras and lenses for at least a year. thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #2394
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Picked up a X-E1 with a 18-55mm the other day and I love it.

Would be extremely compact with a 27mm f/2.8
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #2395
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Picked up a X-E1 with a 18-55mm the other day and I love it.

Would be extremely compact with a 27mm f/2.8
hmm will the eos m have better lens selection? the used market for fuji lenses seems pretty small
Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #2396
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Well, the EOS M will have better lens selection if you purchase the adapter, but the Fuji X system has more native lens for it. There are a few forums such as fujixseries.com and fujix-forum.com that have a fairly good B&S for used equipment.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #2397
I am grateful grapefruit

there's no sense buying an EOS M if you're just going to use the EFS/EF lenses for it.

The Fuji X Mount lenses, I would argue, are generally higher quality than the Eos M lenses as well. It seems Fuji is pushing hard for the mirrorless market, so they're releasing a lot of good lenses.

I have the 27mm pancake lens - it's awesome on my XE-1.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #2398
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I'm looking at buying a used Panasonic GF2 or Sony Nex-3N no photography experience just looking for something to learn on and take some decent pics on an upcoming vacation. Found both on Craigslist the GF2 is 150 Sony is 270. Is it worth it to pay the extra 120 for the Sony or will the Panasonic suffice for my needs?
deuel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #2399

Any word on lenses? Are they just the kits?

I don't think the extra premium is worth it, imo. GF2 is smaller, and has better lens selection if you end up buying more into the system.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #2400
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Kit lenses I believe on both, the GF2 has a 14-42mm, Sony has a 16-50mm
deuel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote