REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 06-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #26
smk
bye bye REVscene

^ Extended warranty?
Advertisement
smk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Merged with other "what camera should buy" threads.
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:00 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

camera choices.

my mom came home with a Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera that cost $12xx.xx after taxes, 512mb card and a case for it. i told her the camera is way too much for her, not only price wise, but also feature wise. i ofcourse can use it, but then again she wont be able to enjoy it (technology illiterate). she basically bought wat the salesman offered her.

so i came with her to return it and i started to look around. basically i want to get her something that is not TOO complicated but somethign that i will also be able to use. im no pro, but i like taking pictures. so a good point and shoot camera with good pixels and some extra features would be nice.

now the few cameras that i took interest in were the:

- cannon a520
- cannon powershot sd300
- cannon a95
- cannon powershot sd400
- panasonic dmclz2 limux

i would prefer the pixels to be 4 or higher, with a few extra features. but id otn know wat features are good. i wouldnt want to spend over 700 for a point and shoot, so between 4 - 700 is my limit. the camera will mainly be used for family pictures.

wat do u guys suggest i pick up? personal preference? i know its MY choice, but i would like to know some pros and cons. also, if u have a different camera u can suggest for me to look at, it would be greatly appreciated. the cameras i was lookign at were all from future shop. where do u suggest i buy ?

thanx for all the future info.

AKA >>> 9!.t3g

pharma_joe@hotmail.com

-Joel
JN06300T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:10 PM   #29
I don't get it

SD300/SD400 are good camers.
604Racing604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #30

Merging with the other "I want a new camera" thread.
-MFC Fan # 3

Old 06-27-2005, 09:48 PM   #31
Doc
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Levitron
Merging with the other "I want a new camera" thread.
You rule.

SPank you berry muchie.

~S
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #32

so, any input?

AKA >>> 9!.t3g

pharma_joe@hotmail.com

-Joel
JN06300T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 PM   #33
Rs has made me the man i am today!

i would go for either the canon a520 or a95 (a95 uses 4 AA batts instead of 2 though and 3x zoom instead of 4x compared to a520)

the sd300 and sd400 are compact, light, and fast with the digic ii processor but lacks functions i feel
dub.dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally posted by Salar
You rule.

SPank you berry muchie.

~S
Now give me your 20D :P
-MFC Fan # 3

Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally posted by 9!.t3g
my mom came home with a Sony Cyber-Shot DSCM1 5.0MP Digital Camera that cost $12xx.xx after taxes, 512mb card and a case for it. i told her the camera is way too much for her, not only price wise, but also feature wise. i ofcourse can use it, but then again she wont be able to enjoy it (technology illiterate). she basically bought wat the salesman offered her.

so i came with her to return it and i started to look around. basically i want to get her something that is not TOO complicated but somethign that i will also be able to use. im no pro, but i like taking pictures. so a good point and shoot camera with good pixels and some extra features would be nice.

- cannon a520
- cannon powershot sd300
- cannon a95
- cannon powershot sd400
- panasonic dmclz2 limux

i would prefer the pixels to be 4 or higher, with a few extra features. but id otn know wat features are good. i wouldnt want to spend over 700 for a point and shoot, so between 4 - 700 is my limit. the camera will mainly be used for family pictures.

wat do u guys suggest i pick up? personal preference? i know its MY choice, but i would like to know some pros and cons. also, if u have a different camera u can suggest for me to look at, it would be greatly appreciated. the cameras i was lookign at were all from future shop. where do u suggest i buy ?

the one i would recommend for your purposes is the Panasonic LZ2. it's not as compact as the SD300, but it is not as chunky as the A95. it uses only 2AA's and has plenty of modes, some of which allow you to manipulate settings such as ISO sensitivity and Aperature. This camera, like most other newer Panasonics, has an Image stabalizer so your pictures will be less blurry. The best part of this camera is the 6x Optical zoom. Thats about twice as much as any other compact camera.

I've also noticed the lag time between pictures is very minimal, probably due to the fast image processor and 66x SD card used. I was testing it out at work and really like the camera a lot. Best in its class, which is compact point and shoot.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally posted by 9!.t3g

- cannon a520
- cannon powershot sd300
- cannon a95
- cannon powershot sd400
- panasonic dmclz2 limux

If you're into the family pictures, go Canon. Canons deal great with low-light and also compensate well with their flashes (meaning you don't get those ugly, glossy, pasty white faces covered in oil if you do a shot with a flash). This is me, speaking from personal experience.

I'd pick the A520....gives you a bit of flexibility in terms of functions; however if you want a camera for style, then SD300/400 are the ones to go for.
-MFC Fan # 3

Old 06-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #37

350d vs d50
Old 06-27-2005, 11:16 PM   #38

Quote:
If you're into the family pictures, go Canon. Canons deal great with low-light and also compensate well with their flashes (meaning you don't get those ugly, glossy, pasty white faces covered in oil if you do a shot with a flash). This is me, speaking from personal experience.

I'd pick the A520....gives you a bit of flexibility in terms of functions; however if you want a camera for style, then SD300/400 are the ones to go for.
very good point about low light shots. i just realized i was only using the camera in the store, mall area, and outside the mall during the day time. the only thing the LZ2 is missing is LED's for focussing aids in low light conditions.

i absolutely love my 3 year old canon s300. it takes better pics than most new point and shoot cameras. i like my friends A95, but if i had to replace it i would still go with the LZ2 because of the 6x optical and IS.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #39

If the LCD goes bust on you there's no view finder.
MikesJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperSlowSS
350d vs d50
Wanna list more of your expectations from the camera first?

Then we can have somethign to work with.

...because if you want, you can always just compare the specs at dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_d50&show=all
-MFC Fan # 3

Last edited by Levitron; 06-28-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Wanna list more of your expectations from the camera first?

Then we can have somethign to work with.

...because if you want, you can always just compare the specs at dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_d50&show=all
Got to be fast. I want something that can replace my old SLR(minolta). I was pretty much set on 350d until I tried a d50. The d50 fits my hand better, also cheaper. But I don't want to save money now just to upgrade later because it isn't good enough for something I want to do in the future. You know.. room to grow.

Since I am starting fresh... I want to go with the company that has the bigger/cheaper lens market.

Last edited by SuperSlowSS; 06-28-2005 at 01:16 PM.
SuperSlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #42
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
d50 vs d70

hey guys im about to purchase the d50 but i cant help to notice that the d70 is pretty close in price.

i wanted the d50 because:
1) its a new camera
2) it produces little noise even at ISO1600
3) its slightly smaller
4) slightly bigger lcd (2.0 vs 1.8)

but after reading some forums that discuss the d50 it seems that people miss from the d70:
1) dof preview
2) 2 dials instead of one
3) CF media (this one not a huge deal)
4) 3.0fps vs 2.5fps continuous shooting

actually i heard from one review site that in actual tests the d70 did 2.9fps and the d50 only managed 2.1fps. quite a big difference.

regardless of which camera i buy i'll be making sure it comes with the 18-70mm lens. in other words if its the d50 i'll be buying the body only and if its the d70 i'll get it with the kit lens. after all is said and done the d70 will be rougly 100 more expensive i think.

given all of the above which would you guys prefer? im pretty amateur and have never used an SLR but they dont intimidate me.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #43
I don't get it

Chris,

Get the D70s if you choose to go Nikon.

The Nikon D50 is a lot less of a camera. The lense mount is also plastic. The kit lense that comes with the D50 is cheap and if you were to buy the D70s kit lens separately it would be very $$$$.

CF is good as the media is cheap.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #44

Merging with new camera thread.
-MFC Fan # 3

Old 06-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #45
SFICC-03*

tnx and sorry for not posting here lev.

gary,

well if i were to buy the d70 i probably wouldnt buy the d70s since most of the features can be had in a firmware hack with the d70. i'd essentially be paying 2-300 extra for a 2.0lcd vs a 1.8lcd

if your opinion still stands when comparing the d70 (non s) vs the d50 then maybe i should get the d70 after all...
Old 06-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #46
I don't get it

They discontinued the D70 and replaced it with the D70s. There are some hardware changes between the two models. I'm not sure how much more firmware upgrades you can get on the D70 if the D70s has new feature upgrades.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:41 PM   #47
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally posted by 604Racing604
Chris,

Get the D70s if you choose to go Nikon.

The Nikon D50 is a lot less of a camera. The lense mount is also plastic. The kit lense that comes with the D50 is cheap and if you were to buy the D70s kit lens separately it would be very $$$$.

CF is good as the media is cheap.
Quote:
Originally posted by 604Racing604
They discontinued the D70 and replaced it with the D70s. There are some hardware changes between the two models. I'm not sure how much more firmware upgrades you can get on the D70 if the D70s has new feature upgrades.

D50 is plastic mount? where did u get that info from?
i see metal mount

D70 firmware upgrade has most, if not all of the same features d70s has in terms of internals

hardware wise, d70s has wider flash, bigger LCD

but AF performance is the same

go with D50 if u dont have any media yet. the extra 400-500 u save from D70s can go towards a nice zoom lens

shot to shot should be 2.5fps using a high speed card

FS: UBC Textbooks
endless402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:39 PM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Well it looks like I'm suposed to continue my thread in here, so here goes..

I went out last weekend to buy a camera, I talked to the guys at broadway camera and at kerrisdale camera and we came to the conclusion that I didn't really need to spend $900+ on a new camera and that a $500 dollar budget would be fine. I ended up coming home with an Olympus C-765, and while it does everything they said it would do, I'm not overly happy with it. It takes very nice pictures, good colour, good clarity, but it does it all VERY slowly, and that bugs the hell out of me. It takes a while to start up, which is not to big of a deal, but it also takes a while to focus, and a while to take the shot, then it takes like 5 seconds to save and get ready for the next shot, and thats much to slow. There were a few other things as well, no IS, lens feels loose, you have to turn it off to shange to some of the modes ect. So really it comes down to me not being happy about the purchase, and if I'm going to spend any money, I want to be happy about it. I have 14 days to take it back for an exchange, but I'm not sure if they are gonna take back the memory card as I had to cut the package to open it =(

Now I'm basically going to buy the Canon S2-IS or the Panasonic DMC-FZ5, I'll ask the guy what he thinks before I decide (he was very helpful by the way) but I was curious what you guys would choose between those two?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #49

I'm getting a Fuji S5100, older model but very good choice for an entry-level, ultrazoom, SLR-style camera.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu..._s5100-review/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/

I think this is an exellent choice for a pre-SLR DigiCam and at a very good price, too! It doesn't have IS but that's fine because you won't learn to rely on it too much when you move on to SLRs in the future.

Last edited by Bonjour43MA; 06-29-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Bonjour43MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #50
SFICC-03*

43ma?
is omid on rs?