REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Dragon Boat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/512422-dragon-boat.html)

TracerFX 06-22-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6475027)
Wow..all this time I thought "Magnum" was some other team, not the one from UBC or Dragonhearts.

Interesting to see they've advanced so much. I was one of the few to start up the team back in highschool and it's always been really competitive.

Its still really competitive but its a totally different animal now :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYClovis (Post 6475042)
Jeez, Tracer, how could discuss so much and not let me know about this site? (Thanks a lot Terry.)

lol, that's coz we're supposed to talk abt this over at dbwest :D
at least now you can do this and read up abt cars too haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6475302)
Getting a lot of Magnums in here now, taking over this thread.

We Magnum like to dominate :haha::haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6476010)
Great day today, we got silver in Comp C, edged out of gold by .15 seconds. Our first sub 2 min time ever. Nice job on 4th in Comp A Magnum, you guys should try for the national championships next year

Congrats dude, too bad abt the gold...gold hardware is always better than silver, it weighs more (all perception though lol)

We had talks about trying out for nationals this year actually but shifted our goals to just killing it at Comp A, at least that's done now. The key now is to win races that FCRCC dont go to :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYClovis (Post 6476477)
Also, the tide is mega-helpful with breaking time records, as the weekend was the first time ever we've broken the two minutes mark.

The tides definitely helped a lot of teams get record times judging from times on the results.

I believe you're mistaken Clovis, if i recall correctly we've gotten 1:58 before.

RacePace 06-22-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TracerFX (Post 6476742)
lol, that's coz we're supposed to talk abt this over at dbwest :D

Nah, a lot of stuff I wouldn't say over there, lets just keep it here lol

Tapioca 06-22-2009 07:41 AM

The tides and wind were pretty strong on Sunday which led to some really good times. I haven't seen sub-1:50 times from a dragonboat in previous Alcans.

For us, it was a pretty good weekend:

- We were in the re-race (5 races for the price of 4)
- We had a "blade fight" with Without Warning in the re-race
- We raced in the "barney" Gem (Boat 6)
- We snuck into Comp by the skin of our teeth on Sunday, only to get rocked in the final (but, it was one heck of a race though)
- We got smashed in the beer garden afterwards (always a tradition at Alcan)

RacePace 06-22-2009 07:55 AM

TracerFX 06-22-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6476757)
Nah, a lot of stuff I wouldn't say over there, lets just keep it here lol

lol, there is a sort of a mature, rigid, less horsing around feel in there sometimes. soon enough this thread will be infamous and the link to this might get posted there lol (i doubt it but you never know haha)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6476808)
The tides and wind were pretty strong on Sunday which led to some really good times. I haven't seen sub-1:50 times from a dragonboat in previous Alcans.

For us, it was a pretty good weekend:

- We were in the re-race (5 races for the price of 4)
- We had a "blade fight" with Without Warning in the re-race
- We raced in the "barney" Gem (Boat 6)
- We snuck into Comp by the skin of our teeth on Sunday, only to get rocked in the final (but, it was one heck of a race though)
- We got smashed in the beer garden afterwards (always a tradition at Alcan)

Yea, 1:47 is pretty godlike (borrowing a term from quake lol)

LOL @ blade fight

sounds like you guys had a blast.

RacePace 06-22-2009 09:01 AM

It's up to you Magnum guys to not leak it out too far, I know I won't lol

Does 1:47 count as a world record? Because I know a 1:48 time posted by Team USA back in Sydney was touted as a world record.
I think it's kind of funny that the FCRCC mixed team is faster than the Men's team. Obviously it's the women on that team that pull the weight

Tapioca 06-22-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6476819)
Yeah, I heard they were pissed about that

Well, we have a couple of old friends on that boat and they were a little peeved, but that's racing (they still won the race anyway and they pulled a huge comback win in the Comp B final.) Race 18 was a bit of farce - we had the initial collision and re-race, Boat 3 and 4 had problems, our boat and WW had problems, etc. In the old days, the boats would line up literally next to each other and blade fights were not uncommon. In extreme cases, you would actually reach for the other boat's gunnel, or you perhaps put your blade into someone's leg, etc.

RAYClovis 06-22-2009 10:07 AM

Technically 1:47 would count as a world records, except for the conditions in Alcan. Compared to Sydney where the races were held in an artificial channel (No tide, held start, etc.), we had drifting start, major tide movement, and quite a bit of tailwind. Compare it to last year when the best times were within 1:54~ range, it's slightly more dubious. You can even see Rec A teams pushing the 2 minute marks!

And yeah, it's funny to see that FCRCC mixed team is faster than all of the Men's teams, but hey, it really shows how strong the women paddlers are themselves.

Also, full Alcan results are out if you're slow on the intake. Magnums did pretty well in Guts and Glory in the form of having a later start and not having to hit any other boats in the turns. :)

TracerFX 06-22-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6476870)
It's up to you Magnum guys to not leak it out too far, I know I won't lol

Does 1:47 count as a world record? Because I know a 1:48 time posted by Team USA back in Sydney was touted as a world record.
I think it's kind of funny that the FCRCC mixed team is faster than the Men's team. Obviously it's the women on that team that pull the weight

lol, I've never heard RS being mentioned in dbwest, nor would i start any, so nothing from me hahah :thumbsup:

I dont believe it is even though it's a time recorded from an official festival but i could be wrong. They could actually just say "world record" because it was record time in the worlds, not the whole actual world. But the reason i say i dont believe so is because the worlds/crew championships normally races on a set environments with no tides, just winds (on man made lakes/pool).

Perhaps mixed are faster because men can't be good "strokers"? hahahahhaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6476886)
In extreme cases, you would actually reach for the other boat's gunnel, or you perhaps put your blade into someone's leg, etc.

Sounds pretty much like UBC Long Boat :haha:

TracerFX 06-22-2009 10:13 AM

oh dang, didnt see u reply first abt that clovis, now i just sound like a copy cat lol

TracerFX 06-22-2009 10:16 AM

famous last words "Women make or break comp teams"

RacePace 06-22-2009 10:24 AM

RAYClovis 06-22-2009 10:25 AM

Nice triple post. Whistler and Harrison's going to be fun, too bad nobody except for FCRCC's going to take the gold. XD They're bringing their A team without mercy. Maybe if they has a mishap that Magnum can take advantage of, but hey, that's wishful thinking.

Illuminate, quite a few ordered through www.outrigger.ca (Kialoa), but for the Quickblade I'm not sure. I believe someone on Master of Dragonzone have a Quickblade, so maybe you can bugger them about it. I'm also wondering if I should get my own OC paddle, but then again I'm getting an adjustable Trivium and OC mostly once every either week and paddles like a molasses on one. :P I've paddled once with Derek on your team, though, so yeah. Which RGL paddler are you again?

RacePace 06-22-2009 10:46 AM

xXDragonXx 06-22-2009 10:52 AM

He's Jacob, the guy that is with Derek whenever I see them OC-ing and heading back to the shed while we're warming up for practice. :D

Still in awe at 4th in Comp A... all those years of watching those Comp A & Guts & Glory Races and thinking that those guys were so godly. Fast forward to now, and we're racing with them in both races. Guts & Glory is extremely fun race... with the start you have the crowd with their focus on you bringing you a sense of pride.. and then you go through the grueling 2000m with collisions on the way ,changing wave conditions that make u super soaked, wicked turns (like by our steersperson in the crucial last turn) and hearing other teams yelling that wouldn't otherwise do so in an actual mixed race. The whole experience just brings goosebumps and makes the adrenaline pump.. AND during the last 250m of the Guts & Glory... it was amazing to hear the whole team yelling N - F - W (the actual words not the letters) =p

Great racing this weekend everyone! Hope to see you all in Whistler & Harrison! Gotta also love the new Alcan system, which gives you super competitive races from the 2nd race on with teams at the same level as you are. With the old system, you wouldn't be in a truly tough heat until ur semis on day 2.

RAYClovis 06-22-2009 11:03 AM

Oh, Illuminate, now I remember you and your application. You should have joined us. :( That aside, feel free to let me know if you want to OC sometimes, since I'm pretty much a jobless, schoolless bum for most of the summer currently.

And yeah, Terry, I agree with you the Guts and Glory race was amazing, and I'm even more amazed that we snatched 4th place behind only FCRCC and Ika again, on a 2km course. Let's keep on improving. :D The new system also helps in getting more competitive races, and I'm hoping WE will be using that for the future races.

RacePace 06-22-2009 11:04 AM

RAYClovis 06-22-2009 11:10 AM

It's our motto. If you were at Guts and Glory, you'd have heard the full words. XD

RacePace 06-22-2009 11:12 AM

RAYClovis 06-22-2009 11:26 AM

Cool. I doubt that I would be able to wake up at 9am, though. :P (I could barely do so on the race weekend.)

RacePace 06-22-2009 11:46 AM

RAYClovis 06-22-2009 11:52 AM

:) Hey, nothing wrong with preferring the evenings over mornings. I'll PM ya if I can wake up and paddle without needing an unhealthy dose of caffeine.

On the other hand, I need to start hitting the gym. Now that I'm reduced to three practices a week, I should start working out once a week. You know a good, cheap gym within Vancouver? (Preferably something like UBC Birdcoop in terms of equipments available but much closer to G-Island or East Vancouver.)

Tapioca 06-22-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6477009)
What is NFW anyway?

No F***ing Way.

Drop Them B**ches is a good call to use too.

xXDragonXx 06-22-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6477055)
haha, come on, you're a Magnum, you're hardcore

This stud of a paddler called Clovis is also the only one on Magnum on a FCRCC team.. The FCRCC Men's Team. No offense to our team or Clovis, but this just proves the point that you don't have to be a team dominated with overly muscular paddlers to be in Comp A or on FCRCC :thumbsup:

RacePace 06-22-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYClovis (Post 6477064)
:) Hey, nothing wrong with preferring the evenings over mornings. I'll PM ya if I can wake up and paddle without needing an unhealthy dose of caffeine.

On the other hand, I need to start hitting the gym. Now that I'm reduced to three practices a week, I should start working out once a week. You know a good, cheap gym within Vancouver? (Preferably something like UBC Birdcoop in terms of equipments available but much closer to G-Island or East Vancouver.)

Can't really help ya there, I go to Sportscentral in Richmond, and they have a ridiculous deal right now that's like $14 a month or something. I know the drop in at FCCC is $3.75 and if you go once a week, then that's $15 a month.
Build up that power, it's really noticeable in an OC :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6477081)
No F***ing Way.

Drop Them B**ches is a good call to use too.

Yeah, we use drop too. I know Magnum's super duper race call strategy :D Don't worry though, I wouldn't tell RGL, and we wouldn't use it if I did, doesn't suit our team.