REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #376
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Haha, yeah, having two coaches on you can be tough at times speaking from experience. You shouldn't have to worry too much as long as you make it clear where your allegiance lies in and keep your paddling style fluid. Feel free to book some practices with us when you're sure you'll make the trip to SF, but then again I'm not sure how many SiB we'll bring with us if they do paddle with us. All I know is that we do have some room to on the boat after Kelowna.
Advertisement
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #377
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Do you guys usually have a full boat in practices?

SiB will have a tough time practicing with you guys since they practice in Cultus lake. Oh yeah, I just remembered they are also doing the Police and Fireman games, crazy guys.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #378

Actually, not the entire SiB will be doing Police and Fireman, just the police and fireman paddlers. <_< But yea, they're pretty enthusiatic in races. (I really wish Magnum would do Last Gasp, but it looks like it's not happening thanks to 'we should rest for Kelowna and SF') So I'll probably look for another team for Last Gasp if I feel like doing it.

Usually we field 16-18 people in a normal practice, and likely that number after Harrison since certain slackers have a tendency to skip practices or people are out on vacations. It's usually when races are close that we consistently fill the boat, but even when it's too full, a few of us will just take OCs. And yeah, working with SiB will definitely take some work on their side, but I'm sure they expect that.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #379

Oh yeah, do you guys plan to fly there or road trip it? I'd have to figure how many vacations days I'd have to take
Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #380

All over the place. Most of us have our own schedule as to SF. Some of us are staying an entire week, some of fly in on Friday and GTFB on Monday. I'm a Thursday to Monday flier.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYClovis View Post
Actually, not the entire SiB will be doing Police and Fireman, just the police and fireman paddlers. <_< But yea, they're pretty enthusiatic in races. (I really wish Magnum would do Last Gasp, but it looks like it's not happening thanks to 'we should rest for Kelowna and SF') So I'll probably look for another team for Last Gasp if I feel like doing it.

Usually we field 16-18 people in a normal practice, and likely that number after Harrison since certain slackers have a tendency to skip practices or people are out on vacations. It's usually when races are close that we consistently fill the boat, but even when it's too full, a few of us will just take OCs. And yeah, working with SiB will definitely take some work on their side, but I'm sure they expect that.
Eye of the dragon is doing Last Gasp and emailed us to get more ppl, maybe you should go with them.

I have the capacity to seriously practice with you all the time from now to SF lol, but I dunno, maybe after RGL goes to Victoria should I really do twice a week practices with you guys. And I'd actually have to get on the boat and not OC just to blend.

Damn, just realized there'd be a lot to plan lol
Old 07-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #382

Yeah, it is a lot to plan. You should email Denis and let him know you're interested in going to SF with us and book yourself a seat.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #383

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #384

Oh, if you're going to renew your passport, you should renew it within the first week of August the latest.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #385
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Actually, not the entire SiB will be doing Police and Fireman, just the police and fireman paddlers.
I'm paddling with the Sudden Impact guys (and gals) at the WPFG. I think I'm the only cop on the crew, the rest are corrections and sheriffs. We're trying to team up with the Burnaby Firefighter men's crew to field a men's 20 team, but I haven't heard anything on that yet.

We've got a mixed 10s, mixed 20s and men's 10s. Apparently I'm on the roster for all three. No clue how we're going to fit all those races into 1 day with pre-lims, semis and finals for each. Going to be EXHAUSTED by the end of the day and I won't even be able to go enjoy a beer garden, as I've got to work the next day.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #386

Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I'm paddling with the Sudden Impact guys (and gals) at the WPFG. I think I'm the only cop on the crew, the rest are corrections and sheriffs.
Pardon my wording, I should have said, 'law enforcement people'. But yeah, Burnaby Firefighter's showing up at Harrison, and I expect them to do well based on their fitness alone. (They did pretty well in False Creek regatta) If the men's merger goes through, it's going be quite the stacked team. :P
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #388

Well, that was quite an unfortunate turn of event at Harrison, with the thundershower rolling in and cancelling the A final after Magnum started the qualifiers with dismal performances. Even though we edged out the second-highest seeded team (SIB) in the semifinal, it doesn't look like we'll be getting a medal since both Pac Reach and Master managed faster semifinal time with False Creek between them.

We'll be hungrier then ever for the future races, so yeah.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #389

Quote:
Well, that was quite an unfortunate turn of event at Harrison, with the thundershower rolling in and cancelling the A final after Magnum started the qualifiers with dismal performances. Even though we edged out the second-highest seeded team (SIB) in the semifinal, it doesn't look like we'll be getting a medal since both Pac Reach and Master managed faster semifinal time with False Creek between them.

We'll be hungrier then ever for the future races, so yeah.
Yeah, but we still came 1st in all our races. And we have a tendency of having dismal first races (or at least not up to our expectations/standards). There could be many reasons to us having slower accumulative times than other teams... but when it comes down to it, as we've proven today and with the 5-6 other festivals/regattas we've raced in... when we're thrown together with the teams that we were were suppose to race in the A final... (which were pretty similar for the last two Water Edge events too)... we've pulled through and have came out victorious (with the exception of FCRCC). For both dash and whistler, we were ranked 4th or so until the semis and in the finals, we got 2nd overall. And we all know the weather was crazy throughout the day today, so a time in one heat... can be drastically different 2-3 heats down the line. To add as well... we were in Lane 3 for the final heat which is technically predicted to come "2nd". But either way, we probably won't end up in medal contention due to the unforeseen circumstances. It's really unfortunate we didn't get to race our final race... I was expecting a tight, final encounter with these teams as the majority of them won't be participating in the festivals that we'll be going too. But thats part of racing, and other festivals have ended in similar fashion.
xXDragonXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #390

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #391

We raced something like 2:08. FCRCC's 2:00. I've been having thoughts that our tendency to practice in late evenings + late night activities is one of our downfall for morning races for a long time. We've always had to drag ourselves through the mornings, and this morning's races really show. This is one of the situation where pulling off a dramatic push for medals fell flat involuntarily.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #392

Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #393

Actually, SIB seemed to be an exception. They pulled a 50 second 200m in the second heat of the day, faster than the third seed by two full seconds. Then 2:09 in the first 500m, and finally 2:10 in the semifinal against us. So yeah.

And fuck, Terry, I forgot to collect the money from you. You better bring it to me tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #394
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
SiB will have a tough time practicing with you guys since they practice in Cultus lake.
The ones that are interested in coming with us to SF will be coming down to FC and practicing with us, which says something abt their commitment level.

Quote:
All over the place. Most of us have our own schedule as to SF. Some of us are staying an entire week, some of fly in on Friday and GTFB on Monday. I'm a Thursday to Monday flier.
Some of us are flying straight from vanc, while me and bunch of others are driving down to seattle and catching a flight from seatac down to SF. my group is goin from thurs to wed.

Quote:
We've got a mixed 10s, mixed 20s and men's 10s. Apparently I'm on the roster for all three. No clue how we're going to fit all those races into 1 day with pre-lims, semis and finals for each. Going to be EXHAUSTED by the end of the day and I won't even be able to go enjoy a beer garden, as I've got to work the next day.
man..9 races in one day? that IS exhausting...I'll be volunteering for that event, so hopefully it'll be a fun day
TracerFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #395

Do you guys all have paddle bags to take your paddles with you to SF btw?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #396

Its all about the hard-exterior rifle cases for air-travel http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...Gun%2BCase.jsp
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #397
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

We used a snowboard bag with some bubble wrap and/or foam wrap around each end when we went to SFlast year. We were able to pack almost 10 paddles in the bag.

None of them were damaged in transit so it held up pretty well.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #398

Quote:
Its all about the hard-exterior rifle cases for air-travel http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...Gun%2BCase.jsp
lol really? you would think security would have a problem seeing something like that
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #399

Its checked luggage and they xray it. I also have "dragon boat paddle" written on both sides of the case.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #400

Yeah, SiB are extremely committed and classy bunch of paddlers. It's been great to have a rivalry with them.

Quote:
Its checked luggage and they xray it. I also have "dragon boat paddle" written on both sides of the case.
How many paddles can you fit in one of those?