REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #401
I bringith the lowerballerith

with the padding that comes in it, only 2 or 3, but if you modified/changed the padding, probably quite a few.
Advertisement
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #402
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Looking at the Harrison times.....Red Fusion's really improved, and Team Vortex beat your time in the Semi's Magnum haha. And if placed in the same heat, Pac Reach and Masters would've blown by both you and SIB o_O
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #403
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

FCRCC was sandwiched between Pac and Masters at their semifinal, and didn't really pull ahead until somewhere halfway, basically pulling the other two teams along for a good distance. (Even we've done it when FCRCC was right next to us.) <_<
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #404

I don't wash riding makes up 5 seconds lol. DH Beat has also really improved, and what has happened to VO2 Max, even though they won the semi, that is a pretty slow time for them. Beat would've smoked the Comp D champions....
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #405
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Both Red Fusion and Team Vortex did improve, but its not advisable to compare time in diff heats because the winds were really erratic that day, plus running starts and or hampered starts

In terms of Pac Reach and Masters, they were wash riding, a paddler in the team indicated so, which is logically correct if you look at the times, because statistically throughout the season, all other teams has been at least 6-9 seconds behind FCRCC. (and from personal exp, 5 seconds is feasible for wash riding, intentionally or not.)

Not to take away anything from the Beat, because they are our sister team and they got so much better this year, the tailwind helped a bit. With that said, they'll be like Magnum last year
TracerFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Looking at the Harrison times.....Red Fusion's really improved, and Team Vortex beat your time in the Semi's Magnum haha. And if placed in the same heat, Pac Reach and Masters would've blown by both you and SIB o_O
Wave washing does actually drastically increase a boat's time =P And you have to think tidal conditions too... Harrison's wave conditions just kept varying back and forth with the extreme winds there (the mere fact that the race ended in storm + lightning shows indication that the weather was fluctuating there... there were some points where it was super sunny, other points where it was gloomy as hell) ... some heats had running starts, some had the regular normal starts, etc,etc. Vortex may have beaten our time in the semis, but when we raced them head to head the race earlier... we beat them.. so that's another indication that you can't compare times between heats, especially in a venue like harrison where the tidal conditions are nuts. And another note about that... their whole semi was faster than our whole semi. Not saying that Masters or Pac Reach aren't capable of getting times of 2:04, but when we've raced them in numerous occasions this season, it's always been a close race between us and masters/pac reach/sudden impact (never to the point where there is 5-6 second difference between the teams, otherwise it'd probably warrant that the teams would be in a different division). And it was clear that masters and pac reach were wave washing in that semi... paddlers on Masters even admitted that they could tell they were gaining speed from FCRCC's wake. And red fusion has really improved, but we also have to remember that there were 6-8 Without Warning paddlers on there too (Remember, they were called Fusion Without Warning in the race grid before the race)

And to add to it... since this festival was based on time accumulation.. going into the Semis, Sudden Impact had the 2nd fastest accumulated time, whereas Magnum had the 4th fastest accumulated time. However, we were still able to beat Sudden Impact in our semis, so time solely isn't a great indicator.

Last edited by xXDragonXx; 07-28-2009 at 10:04 AM.
xXDragonXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #407

In any case, things would be cleared up if they decide on having a race-off with the teams in contention of the WE's prize money.

DEATHMATCH!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #408

speaking of the prize money, does 2nd, 3rd, 4th get anything or is it just whoever has the most points?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #409

There's prize money for the top three teams overall in the waters edge challenge. But there's a bit of a controversy because we didn't get to race a final race in harrison to really settle things... And harrison is weighted heavier than dash or whistler because it has more teams... But in all honesty, they should be weighted equally because the top four teams in contention for the money right now are fcrcc, magnum, pac reach and sudden impact... and each of those teams have been in every final and the top four has been those four teams too, with the exception of whistler where laoyam bumped pac reach and sudden impact to 4th and 5th respectively. But its pretty much the same final in dash, whistler and harrison, with dash and whistler having similar results in the final.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #410

They should probably just lower the weight on Harrison if they want to keep the results based on time. You guys have probably secured 2nd though
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #411

Based on what we heard, pac reach's 3rd, 4th, and "2nd" might accumulate more points than our 2nd, 2nd, "4th" because of the size of harrison being 58 teams, and the other two being close to 40ish teams (im not too sure about it, I have to double check but I'm on my fone right now) ... But even then, I thought we secured 2nd overall unless we came like 5th or 6th and pac reach beat fcrcc or something.

Last edited by xXDragonXx; 07-28-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #412
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
I'll chime in here with my two cents...

It's too bad we didn't get to race in that final. We probably won't get another opportunity like that again, at least not this year.

WW was worried about us using part of their name (their sponsorship is tied to results), so we had to make a last minute change. However, we basically ended up where they would have been anyway (they may have had a better lane position had they had the other 2/3s of their crew.)
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #413

You guys are doing great regardless! Its great to see young teams like you guys, riptide, vortex, raceface etc. moving up in the ranks, and giving the veteran teams a run for their money. Cause we're the future of db!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #414
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDragonXx View Post
You guys are doing great regardless! Its great to see young teams like you guys, riptide, vortex, raceface etc. moving up in the ranks, and giving the veteran teams a run for their money. Cause we're the future of db!
Haha, we're not young guys - most of us are in our mid to late-20s. I think you can say that about Riptide and Raceface, though.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDragonXx View Post
Cause we're the future of db!
Damn right! watch out False Creek fogies! We're coming to get cha!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Haha, we're not young guys - most of us are in our mid to late-20s. I think you can say that about Riptide and Raceface, though.
Still young compared to the 30-40s hehe
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerFX View Post
Damn right! watch out False Creek fogies! We're coming to get cha!
I heard they're trying to get younger blood into FCRCC (B in particular) but they just won't retire lol
Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #418

They'll only retire when they start to not be able to cut it in the time trials to stay on A and gets shuffled to B and then C and then D and then F and G and so on and so on.. (I'm exaggerating of course...maybe)
Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #419

Maybe they are just waiting to become a grand dragon lol. They should really make the B team more enticing to be on like entering more races, and should've went to the Nationals this year.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #420

Yeah, they're definitely trying to get young blood... graham and mo came up to Magnum to try to recruit us to their men's team and potentially their mixed team.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #421

think you guys would want to someday?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #422

To be frank, I would've go for the Mixed, if it wasn't for the lack of races for the B team. (They can't fill a second Mixed boat consistently, at all.) Unlike Magnum who has way too much time on their hands and races just about everything that comes along. So damnit, I want to do Last Gasp.

Also, I agree that Harrison's weight should be lowered if it's going to be used to determined the overall prize money. I'm extremely pissed off that we got the shaft out of a medal because of a single storm, but out of cash prize? Sorry, but speaking as someone closely related to the team sponsor, I'm going to be adamant about it.

Last edited by RAYClovis; 07-28-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #423

Quote:
They should really make the B team more enticing to be on like entering more races, and should've went to the Nationals this year.
lol yeah, number of races attendance issues aside, no one likes to be on a team with a name like FCRCC B. In ppl's mind, you weren't good enough to be on A. (regardless of the fact that maybe you are on B because you cant make the time commitment).

At the very least, It should be like what they did this year (kind of), with naming the teams FCRCC Worlds or etc. The naming can also act as the intention of the team. FCRCC Worlds, FCRCC Nationals, etc.

They might want to be a little bit more transparent in their race agenda if they want to recruit younger paddlers. Perhaps announce at the end of the current season or start of the next season which races they intend to participate in for both A, B and C? etc. This to better inform ppl rather than have them think "practice hard all season long and end up on B and only racing 2-3 races...etc".

Quote:
think you guys would want to someday?
Maybe 3-5 years down the road or when craving more competitiveness than what's currently available..
Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #424

Illuminate, but if you feel like it and isn't afraid of the possible stigma of being on two teams at once, you can always try out FCRCC practices during offseason. They usually let you paddle with them offseason for free. It's a good chance to get to know to them. Derek likely will accompany you if he's still interested in it.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYClovis View Post
To be frank, I would've go for the Mixed, if it wasn't for the lack of races for the B team. (They can't fill a second Mixed boat consistently, at all.) Unlike Magnum who has way too much time on their hands and races just about everything that comes along. So damnit, I want to do Last Gasp.

Also, I agree that Harrison's weight should be lowered if it's going to be used to determined the overall prize money. I'm extremely pissed off that we got the shaft out of a medal because of a single storm, but out of cash prize? Sorry, but speaking as someone closely related to the team sponsor, I'm going to be adamant about it.
Well just finished my two hour shift (was suppose to be 6 hours =p)

LOL you make it sound like we have no social life outside the boat .. I can attest that a lot of us do we have lives outside dragonboat, it's only that we all love dragonboat so much that we wouldn't mind occupying our time with races. =p

Are you coming back to practice today Clovis?

And i'm sure every comp paddler at one point considers FCRCC, but I believe that your perspective towards paddling changes once you get onto a FCRCC mixed team... it becomes more of a life style than a passion, and you have to devote a large part of your life during that period to staying at the edge of competition.. and i'm sure there are some forms of politics that are involved when you enter that high of a level in any sport.