REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #451
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Dave O'Connor's always been our strongest paddler, in term of OC speed. Also, you didn't really describe that guy in red Magnum shirt. <_< (I didn't go OC so I don't know who went.)
Advertisement
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 AM   #452
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYClovis View Post
Hrmph, we should be quick on it, though, if we're going to try to get a team going. Why not post the '10 Magnum paddlers' thread already? Just say we're looking for a comp, high-intensity team to merge with. (Seriously, we should get this going to make sure that we have a team going.)
Uhmm, thats coz I dont really know if we actually have 10 ppl wanting to go, some say they wanted to go paddle for beat/breaker/goju-go, some for synergy, some for masters...its all over the place.

I dont really want to deal with the hassle to set that up..and I think that thread might sound abit snobbish IMO. We should do a proper head count first if we ever proceed with that intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
Who was the guy in the red magnum shirt OCing today? His stroke seemed pretty short, more reach and rotation! Dave looked pretty good though, as you probably noticed as he was way out front
That was me, were you there today? (I guess I was too focused on the 'other' members of RGL )

I was testing a different stroke technique (a mix of last years and this year's stroke) on the 5k time trial. Did pretty well with it since the last time i had a time trial, was last year. My time was right around Denis's 1st 5k time trial.

Dave O was just being eager , I'll catch up to him in 1-2 months. I'll be back to my former self soon enough.
TracerFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #453
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
If there's an RGL practice, I'm always there lol. I thought that was you, I was the shirtless guy that passed by you on Tuesday, I'm sure you knew it was me
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #454

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #455

Quote:
If there's an RGL practice, I'm always there lol. I thought that was you, I was the shirtless guy that passed by you on Tuesday, I'm sure you knew it was me
LOL, You know how many shirtless guys there were that hot ass day? I tend to divert my eyes away from shirtless guys, dont want no misunderstandings ya dig..especially in the locker rooms haha

All I recognized was Clovis's Barber who was shirtless, coz I sorta know him from last season. I dont know if Denis emailed you or not, but you can come to our tryout practice for San Fran on Sun Aug 9th, then we'll be able to finally introduce ourselves
Old 07-31-2009, 03:20 AM   #456
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Alex, you should come to our workplace when someone accidently dials 911. Mary dialed it by mistake and an officer came lol, they are always coming. InComm at Commerce parkway
Unfortunately not the zone I work. Move your offices into central Richmond.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerFX View Post
LOL, You know how many shirtless guys there were that hot ass day? I tend to divert my eyes away from shirtless guys, dont want no misunderstandings ya dig..especially in the locker rooms haha

All I recognized was Clovis's Barber who was shirtless, coz I sorta know him from last season. I dont know if Denis emailed you or not, but you can come to our tryout practice for San Fran on Sun Aug 9th, then we'll be able to finally introduce ourselves
omg...there's a tryout practice? Is it on OC or DB? You guys are going to make me work myself silly
Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #458

Yup, there is..on DB.
Our coach wants to see blending/gelling/rhythm/stroke/etc.

There will be Paddlers coming from WW, Masters, SIB, and etc on that day. Its gonna be fun!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #459

How am I supposed to make it against all those guys?!? lol

It's practically an entirely different team, are you going to rename in San Fran or keep DH Magnum?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #460

You never know...Our coach is doing this so he can see the talent and pick out 3 guys and 1 girl for SF.

Nope, Magnum all the way , We're only short like 2 actual paddlers, while the other 2 will be spares in case of injuries and for open divisions/out of town teams divisions, etc.

Come on out and test your mettle, It'll be a blast! I myself will probably be on the coach boat or a C-lion
Old 07-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #461

Very slim chance then, new paddler + lower level team.

I'll still come and fight for it, it'll be a good learning experience regardless
Old 07-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #462

Yeah, but don't worry too much about it. It's still a good experience and it's a chance for you to get to known to our team/coach in case you want to move higher up the competition ladder but doesn't feel like having to be basically A-level in order to race ala FCRCC A/B. I'll likely be on OC/coach boat on that day and just cruising my way through while you guys battle nails and teeth. XD

Also, just showing up even though you think you don't stand a chance alone is worth a commendation for your commitment.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #463

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #464

At that rate, you'd better taper or you'll burn out sooner than later.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #465

I know, and to be honest, I'm a little scared because there's also three gym sessions in that week

But it's just a one week push and I really want to go, and fighting's what I do best. At least I'll be ready for Victoria
Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #466

Give yourself as much rest as possible after the one week push. Cut the gym/OC if you have to, you ain't much older than us.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #467

Old or young, it doesnt make that much of a difference. I say this because physical burnout is not just about injuring the back muscles or the big limbs.

Its the little things that could get you in trouble or injury. Things from rotator cuffs, wrist ligaments, to finger tendons, those are the worst for dragonboaters and OC Paddlers (besides pulling your back/hip). Once you feel pain, you're fucked...and it could be a permanent injury.

As much as getting lots of rest after that intense schedule will help you, it wont do as much good as actual rest in between to give time for muscles/tendons/ligaments/etc to properly heal up. You work out, so you know to never work the same muscles in consecutive days...You do that in gym, your muscles just never develops properly and you could get injured. In DB/OC, injuries almost always happen, no two ways about it.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #468

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerFX View Post
At that rate, you'd better taper or you'll burn out sooner than later.
Quote:
If FCRCC guys can train harder than I will, then I can do it.

I paddled every day a minimum of 1 time/day for 2 years straight. Sometimes I paddled 3 sessions in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy movie
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I paddled every day a minimum of 1 time/day for 2 years straight. Sometimes I paddled 3 sessions in a day.
I think you'd pretty much have to live at Granville island to do 3 times a day lol

Like you told me months ago, if I wanted it bad enough, I guess it's time to find out
Old 08-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #471

This is what I count as 3 sessions:
- 6am paddle with sprint men
- dick around for a bit, then coach a team from an OC1 ~9:30am
- ~12, do a nice distance paddle out past Jericho Beach and back

...once upon a time, when I was in much better shape than I am now...
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #472

FCRCC may train 5-6 times a week, but they don't go 100% every practice. They usually have a recovery week after a high-intensity week and whatnot. There's a training out there somewhere that explains it.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
That's the thing though, it differs with everyone..some of us can paddle hardcore for 2 years straight, and not get injuries, but some of us will..and who knows what will happen in the 3rd year, or 4th,5th, etc..you never know. Good physique and good warm-ups prevents injuries, but its not an absolute.

Quote:
I think you'd pretty much have to live at Granville island to do 3 times a day lol
I wish I lived in Granville Island
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #474

Yah. For the first year of that, there was a whole lot of not stretching done by FCRCC except for a select few. Towards the end of the 2006 paddling season, when we were ramping up for Toronto's CCWC, we started to incorporate a team warm-up and stretch.

For the past 9 months or so, I've been pretty bad with stretching, which might explain my current condition I'm most likely NOT going to be able to paddle in the WPFG now, but I've still got my fingers crossed.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #475

That's really strange, stretching is a must for me, even before OCing. I find it weird how ppl can just hop in the boat without stretching first, unless they planned to do a 60% paddle the entire time