REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #10276
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
The Fate of the Furious 7/10 - Worst title ever. Aside from the cheesy CGI that plagues movies nowadays that was really my only complaint. I think these movies(especially this one) are almost self aware of it's own over-the-top nature that they take it one level further. I was either laughing so hard I was crying(Statham and the Rock were hilarious) or was throw back in my seat with the out of this world over the top action sequences. Completely unrealistic and terrible cheesy one dialogue but at the same time it worked for what it was. I felt entertained.
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #10277
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Atomic Blonde more SALT than John Wick, its good, but there is a bit of a lull, a few people walked out. i liked it ^^ 7/10

also you get to see Charlize naked, there is a lesbian sex scene, plus she kicks ass, so...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #10278
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Atomic Blonde: 7.5/10
Valerian: 6/10
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #10279
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Dunkirk 7/10

I had to go see it while it is playing in good cinemas, or I would never ever be able to. It was intense as I had expected, and they did a good job of telling a story with very little dialog. I'll always love the way Nolan directs his films, especially the way he uses a non musical soundtrack to enhance what is going on at the time.

A lot like Gravity, it's worth seeing if you have time to check it out while it's still in theatres for an enjoyable, intense cinematic experience. It's probably even better on Imax.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #10280
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

A couple recognizable actors in this one

Shot Caller

8/10, moves from past to present without confusion, and gives enough room for character development. The trailer portrays the wrong vibe; recommended if you like gang related stuff with a side of human compassion.

Last edited by Phozy; 08-10-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #10281
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Dunkirk IMAX 70mm

7/10

The giant screen and detail made it a terrific, harrowing experience.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #10282
I am Hook'd on RS

2 fast 2 furious

8/10

it's a classic
M3E46Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #10283
HELP ME PLS!!!

Bahubaali 1 & 2, 2/10

Does not deserve the hype and rating on IMDB.

Story didn't make sense, overly drawn out, acting bad. I literally want to unsubscribe from Netflix after wasting my time watching those movies.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #10284
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

(Flame suit on)

Dunkirk 4/10

I went in with really high expectation...(8.5 imdb, I liked all the other Nolan movies)

First 30min: beautiful visual and cinematography...movies started off very slow, but I was thinking it will get there...

60min: who is the main character here..?? this is so.... boring. I still don't see what story it is trying to tell.

90min: I am starting to get headache with all the floating water/plane shot...still no sign of story. Not feeling any connection with any of the characters...don't care if they die or not.

Movie ends: WTF did i just watch lol

Basically felt like a very depressing documentary....I guess it tries to show the hopelessness and miseries for the soldiers in Dunkirk?
The evacuation scene weren't grand enough (Yea I know he is not using CGI hence can't show thousands of boats and hundreds of thousands of people in a shot..)
The final boat rescue weren't emotional...(Not surprising since I didn't care for of any of the characters)

I mean...if I went to watch it expecting a documentary it is probably a 9/10. But I was going in expecting a "entertainment" movies like inception, the prestige, etc.
The movie has no story, no characters, no climax....
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #10285

Opinions are subjective so nobody is going to call you out if you didn't like a movie they liked. But
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #10286
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
baywatch 6/10 acting and story was meh, jokes were all around the whole time non stop. It was a brainless watch to say the least.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #10287
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
(Flame suit on)

Dunkirk 4/10

I went in with really high expectation...(8.5 imdb, I liked all the other Nolan movies)

First 30min: beautiful visual and cinematography...movies started off very slow, but I was thinking it will get there...

60min: who is the main character here..?? this is so.... boring. I still don't see what story it is trying to tell.

90min: I am starting to get headache with all the floating water/plane shot...still no sign of story. Not feeling any connection with any of the characters...don't care if they die or not.

Movie ends: WTF did i just watch lol

Basically felt like a very depressing documentary....I guess it tries to show the hopelessness and miseries for the soldiers in Dunkirk?
The evacuation scene weren't grand enough (Yea I know he is not using CGI hence can't show thousands of boats and hundreds of thousands of people in a shot..)
The final boat rescue weren't emotional...(Not surprising since I didn't care for of any of the characters)

I mean...if I went to watch it expecting a documentary it is probably a 9/10. But I was going in expecting a "entertainment" movies like inception, the prestige, etc.
There are 3 stories (Land, Sea, Air), 3 main characters (Soldier, Boater/Boater's son, Pilot), and the climax to the movie is when all 3 stories converged with it's varying timescales (land - 1 week, sea - 1 day, air 1- hour). The beauty of this is that you don't realize this convergence until almost the end.

Were you fucking even paying attention?

I think Ben Affleck's Pearl Harbor is more up your alley.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #10288

This might sound more rude than intended, but people like Ferra are the reason movies kind of suck now. Even "dumb action movies" are MUCH dumber than they used to be.

How many times did you look at your phone I wonder?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #10289
My homepage has been set to RS

I thought Dunkirk was a masterpiece. 9/10. Saw it in 75mm and it was the best I've seen visually.

I can see how some people won't like it though. Sound wise it was VERY loud which I can see throwing people's focus out of the movie. I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud. Also in true Nolan fashion some of the dialogue was very hard to hear.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #10290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
There are 3 stories (Land, Sea, Air), 3 main characters (Soldier, Boater/Boater's son, Pilot), and the climax to the movie is when all 3 stories converged with it's varying timescales (land - 1 week, sea - 1 day, air 1- hour). The beauty of this is that you don't realize this convergence until almost the end.

Were you fucking even paying attention?

I think Ben Affleck's Pearl Harbor is more up your alley.
lol I knew i am going to get reply like this

For discussion sake...

The non-linear timeline didn't give me any "shocker" moment. I feel like they were done just for the sake of having a non-linear time line.
There were also shots before to suggest the different time line, so the final reveal wasn't even a surprise.
E.g. in comparison, I thought Arrival (watched it few weeks ago, 9/10) used non-linear timeline in a much more beautiful way. It was surprising, and it added value to the story.
dunkirk non-linear timeline didn't change anything about the story.

It is hard to care for the main characters we knew nothing about and doesn't show much characters.
Tom Hardy hiding behind his mask fighting enemy bomber. It could've been any random characters and it wouldn't have made any difference.
Same with the solider and fisherman. They all seem to lacks characters and emotions, just doing what they are supposed to.
The only characters I felt any emotion from was the stranded pilot (Cillian Murphy). I can sympathize with his traumatic experience and understand why he acted they way he did.

In the end, I am no film critics, but I do enjoy movies that are both beautifully made, entertaining and thought provoking . This movie is beautifully made, but not the other 2 for me.

And can we just try to share opinion without making personal attack and degrading others?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #10291

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
I thought Dunkirk was a masterpiece. 9/10. Saw it in 75mm and it was the best I've seen visually.

I can see how some people won't like it though. Sound wise it was VERY loud which I can see throwing people's focus out of the movie. I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud. Also in true Nolan fashion some of the dialogue was very hard to hear.
Other things that irked me personally are those floating air shot.
I get headache everytime I watch those floating, first person shots on a big screen.
(e.g. I had to walk out and take a break when I was watching captain phillips...)
Old 08-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #10292

Alien: Convenant 8/10 - I thought it was great. The first two movies are my all time favorites so perhaps I will be a bit biased. I went in with low expectations and was left feeling very entertained and satisfied with the story. Not sure about scientists doing dumb things as everything just seemed to flow with the intensity of the events that took place. Beautifully shot with amazing scenery and space shit. Sounds was great. Characters were just fine (James Franco's character was straight fire! ha!) with all developing nicely. Yeah, the CGI parts were a bit cheesy but I feel like I'm always saying that nowadays. I need to learn to live with that normality now. Aliens were cool. It had enough horror, thiller and sci-fi to keep me entertained the whole time. As an avid Alien fan I'd say this movie delivered in many ways while also answering lots of questions and still offering a nice twist(although it was easy to spot).

I'd almost give it a higher rating.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #10293
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Sound wise it was VERY loud which I can see throwing people's focus out of the movie. I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud.
This might just be the 70mm IMAX version, or the sound levels at Langley Cineplex. I agree that Dunkirk 70mm was incredibly loud in Langley, but a friend saw it in New West Landmark and said it wasn't loud at all.

Regardless, all cinemas are too loud these days and beyond hearing safe levels. Musicians earplugs that block noise evenly over the spectrum of sound are a great investment.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #10294

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Alien: Convenant 8/10 - I thought it was great. The first two movies are my all time favorites so perhaps I will be a bit biased. I went in with low expectations and was left feeling very entertained and satisfied with the story. Not sure about scientists doing dumb things as everything just seemed to flow with the intensity of the events that took place. Beautifully shot with amazing scenery and space shit. Sounds was great. Characters were just fine (James Franco's character was straight fire! ha!) with all developing nicely. Yeah, the CGI parts were a bit cheesy but I feel like I'm always saying that nowadays. I need to learn to live with that normality now. Aliens were cool. It had enough horror, thiller and sci-fi to keep me entertained the whole time. As an avid Alien fan I'd say this movie delivered in many ways while also answering lots of questions and still offering a nice twist(although it was easy to spot).

I'd almost give it a higher rating.
Did you watch Prometheus?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #10295
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
I have never heard gunshots from a movie be that loud. Also in true Nolan fashion some of the dialogue was very hard to hear.
the best effects in that movie were the sounds.

the gun shots and gun shots hitting.

the sound of the airplanes flying, flying over, the rattling in the cockpit.

all very loud, and attention seeking, distracting. just like real life. those sounds should drown out everything, almost all your senses, impossible to ignore, and disorient you.

i saw it in IMAX btw
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #10296

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Did you watch Prometheus?
Of course. Thought it was more sci-fi than anything. Posed more questions than it answered. Same beautiful scenery and space stuff but I thought Covenant edged it out a bit in that category as well as being a better movie overall.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #10297

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Atomic Blonde more SALT than John Wick, its good, but there is a bit of a lull, a few people walked out. i liked it ^^ 7/10

also you get to see Charlize naked, there is a lesbian sex scene, plus she kicks ass, so...
Charlize naked after all these years....desperate for a role?

i heard the movie sucked but i'll download it
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #10298

also who's got the best theaters now in the coquitlam area?

Silvercity? Meadow Town?

I know Silvercity has the AVX and VIP ones but who has the best screens and sound system now?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #10299

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

5/10

WAAAAAAAAAAAY too long. The end fight took fucken forever, and again we have a marvel movie where they have this big powerful final boss, and he's weak and lame. No threats, no suspense, just watching the (really nice) visuals and waiting for things to happen. This is a departure from the first Guardians which I liked quite a bit.

Batista had some incredible lines though
Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #10300
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Holy fuck, didn't know if it was a thriller or not, so i went in going in thinking it was just some weird cop case etc. Damn, it delivered. Great acting, script, score, all around very good delivery of a thriller. Keeps you on your toes the entire time. Very graphic movie (duhhhh it does say autopsy....)

The ONLY thing which a lot of people are having a tough time is the lack of a climax / ending. Just beware of that. There's a line when it shifts from a suspense towards a supernatural thriller and when it crosses over, it doesn't connect well.

aside from that, solid 9/10

Last edited by 6793026; 08-22-2017 at 07:59 AM.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote