REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 03-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #10851
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Bohemian Rhapsody. 9/10

-good acting by Rami Malek. -well deserved Oscar for his performance.

Queen's songs are timeless!
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #10852
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Alita
8/10

Was a bit of a set up at the end for a sequel though (which may not even happen...)
I don't know why it bombed in the box office. I think the critics screwed this movie over. Literally everyone I know that decided to ignore the critic reviews and gave it a chance to watch it loved/liked it enough for a sequel to happen.

Critic vs audience scores:
Spoiler!
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 03-09-2019 at 12:04 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #10853
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
The wife.
8.5/10

I urge you to NOT watch the trailer as it would give the entire movie away.

Old couple finally gets a call saying the husband is getting Noble Prize for literature. That's all you really need to know.
Amazing acting, Glenn Close did a great job (she did lose in the Oscars) The script was decent; no surprises at all, standard story. I do wish there were a bit of tension / character building in a way. Rising action was there, just wasn't as intense / in depth as it could be for the build up.
It's like watching a shitty ass kung fu movie where all of a sudden the hero, who was getting beat up for the last 5 minutes, somehow remembered a move from his master and BAM, 5 seconds later, he wins the battle, happily ever after.

Spoiler!
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #10854

the hate you give 8/10
Great ratings from rotten tomato, so i decided to watch it. Black dude gets killed by white cop and story about how the girl deals with it. Great acting all around, score was good, just got dragged on a bit long at parts.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #10855
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Captain Marvel 8/10

I know nothing of the source material. It is a great movie that can stand by itself. There were many moments that I relished in its awesomeness.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #10856
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Captain Marvel 8/10 for me as well

Totally different from what I was expecting, tbh I haven't had any interest in any Marvel movies in years so I didn't look into it much beforehand but I was pleasantly surprised by it. A few bits felt a bit forced but the story kept me interested and you don't need to have watched 1327 previous films for it to make sense.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #10857
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Captain Marvel - 5/10

Average movie, watchable. Nothing stuck out as terrible or awesome, it was just a movie. I don't get why people were saying the cat "stole the show" its just a cat, its barely in the movie.
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #10858
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Reposting some of my post from the MCU thread:

Captain Marvel 8/10

I think this has been the most effective MCU movie in introducing a new super powerful character. Like she should be seriously OP, and by the end of the movie, is pretty much seriously OP. Also, we've seen Skrull and Kree in Marvel shows before, mostly Kree in Agenst of Shield, but this movie did a better job than anything showing the personality of these species. It's especially interesting that there will be several sects of Skrull, since they are spread out through the universe, and quite powerful whether they choose to be good or bad.

I loved the cat, but I love cats so *shrug*

It was one of my favourites of the MCU. Probably my most favourite of the "serious" ones. I prefer GotG 1, Ragnarok, and Ant Man over those ones generally. And she's definitely my favourite MCU superhero now

My fave growing up was Spiderman but as I got older I started to dislike his personality. Fave overall is Wolverine but he's not in the MCU (until Disney buys FOX I guess ) also Punisher but he's not in there either (yet)

Totally into Captain Marvel now, and starting to read her comics as well on Marvel Unlimited
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #10859

Capernaum 8/10

Lebanese film: Academy Awards Best Foreign Language Film
follows a boy when he was 12 who's working in the slums. great movie on how shitty the environments are and the stuff they have to deal with. You get to understand their cultures (eg// foreign passports, selling of under aged kid / marriages ) etc.
These films are slow (not as slow as Roma) and takes a bit of time; the 12 yr old kid is great and movie was touching. Not your typical Hollywood movie.

these movies are similar to years before (Oscars):
Call me by your name, Lady Bird, The Insult,....
Old 03-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #10860
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

5 feet apart. 8/10.
Pretty good movie overall. Wife and I both shed some tears.
Movie does not go into too much science related to CF; more of a love story. Nonethelessless, a good movie to watch with the wifey.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #10861
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
+1 for 5 Feet Apart 8.5/10

Girlfriend and I both enjoyed the movie.

Good idea for a movie imo, good mix of mushy stuff and comedy

Then some people started cutting onions in the movie theater

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #10862

流浪地球 7-8/10
50M budget, 645M outcome. China's first full-scale interstellar spectacular.
吳京 is the dude who made tons of risk an invested in himself in Wolf Worrier etc.
In this movie, he does NOT throw one punch whatsoever which was surprising to see.

1) director had a limited budget, talked to his mentor and while mentor was also filming a space sci-fi movie, decided to lend his protege the gear which helped significantly.
2) zero USA influence in the movie at all, did not show anything US. (funny thing, they had a scene where they had japanese solider commit suicide hahaha)
3) 2 hrs of medium paced action with no bathroom breaks.
4) not a huge climax but decent paced to keep you going = great editing
5) This is 1998 armagaddon but China style, 1st movie for china to do full-scale interstellar / space sci-fi movie.
6) script was ok, typical hollywood ending
7) zero romance whatsoever
8) you gotta be pretty good at mandarin to follow even with subtitles cause some of the dialog goes fast.
Spoiler!

Last edited by 6793026; 03-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #10863
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Captain Marvel 8/10

nice backstory to some chars but meh
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #10864

Aquaman 0/10

Just absolute trash. CG fight after boring CG fight. This movie had no redeeming qualities whatsoever for me. Waste of time.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #10865
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
^ agreed and unfortunately for me, I spent like $30 renting it in a hotel room

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #10866

Next on my list is Bumblebee, and people have been hyping that up, so my expectations are high for it!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #10867
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

"Us"

6.5/10, a bit overhyped. It had good parts but the pacing was a little slow for me.
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #10868
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Next on my list is Bumblebee, and people have been hyping that up, so my expectations are high for it!
Watched it last night with the family and no joke literally 15 seconds into the movie I turned to my wife and said this movie is already better than any of the transformer movies that came out in the last decade.

It was a more light hearted Transformer movie but I enjoyed it.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #10869

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post

流浪地球 7-8/10
吳京 is the dude who made tons of risk an invested in himself in Wolf Worrier etc.
In this movie, he does NOT throw one punch whatsoever which was surprising to see.

1) director had a limited budget, talked to his mentor and while mentor was also filming a space sci-fi movie, decided to lend his protege the gear which helped significantly.
2) zero USA influence in the movie at all, did not show anything US. (funny thing, they had a scene where they had japanese solider commit suicide hahaha)
5) This is 1998 armagaddon but China style, 1st movie for china to do full-scale interstellar / space sci-fi movie.
8) you gotta be pretty good at mandarin to follow even with subtitles cause some of the dialog goes fast.
Spoiler!
Lol speaking of China and big budget although I guess this is a Hong Kong movie (Yes still China I know) came across this movie the other day to be released this year. Looks pretty big budget!

Old 03-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #10870
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui712 View Post
"Us"

6.5/10, a bit overhyped. It had good parts but the pacing was a little slow for me.
6.5/10 for me as well. More of a thematic movie than a horror movie. Nothing to really haunt your dreams.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #10871

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Lol speaking of China and big budget although I guess this is a Hong Kong movie (Yes still China I know) came across this movie the other day to be released this year. Looks pretty big budget!
yup, this is a big movie coming up, tens of million of dollars thrown in and also a huge step forward in CGI for lots of these companies. Louis Koo has his own CGI/ production company which is why he is promoting it heavily.

i am going to go in with close to zero expectations cause a) HK movies has been in shitters for a while (from shit acting to forced mainland actors & actresses in shit roles) b) a lot of bad scripts c) reuse of the same formulas (eg// crime and robbery; which HK is famous during 80-90s )
Old 03-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #10872
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:

流浪地球 7-8/10

Spoiler!
yeah some of my friends hyped this up as some "high budget chinese movie that isnt shit". but they are all chinese so...

so i went in thinking just that... but it was just another super chinese hollywood cheese movie that sticks in as many things as possible. like every epic end of earth movie and fucked in space movie. lots of "homage" or stolen? scenes and ideas. subtle communist propaganda.

the cgi was also pretty sub standard compared to hollywood.

i would give it 6/10... i almost wanna give it a 5. i just seriously felt it was not big screen worthy. maybe top tier straight to DVD/netflix type movie.

Space Odyssey 2001 (disobedient robot) + interstellar (relocates entire population) + sunshine (igniting some mass) + Armageddon (firing machine gun at asteroid in anger) + a buncha epic earth ending stuff like day after tomorrow and 2012
It felt like so many things tried to be packed into one story
And EVERY story has to be epic and immeasurable odds against them. But of course they always find some way lol
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:31 AM   #10873

I actually want to check that out. I would much prefer China to have its own successful movie industry than have the western industry shoehorn in stuff for that audience in general. If Hollywood can no longer rely on big China bucks, they can go back to making movies like back in the 90's and early 2000's.

And if the poster is any indication, it should be hilariously bad
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #10874

Quote:
yup, this is a big movie coming up, tens of million of dollars thrown in and also a huge step forward in CGI for lots of these companies. Louis Koo has his own CGI/ production company which is why he is promoting it heavily.

i am going to go in with close to zero expectations cause a) HK movies has been in shitters for a while (from shit acting to forced mainland actors & actresses in shit roles) b) a lot of bad scripts c) reuse of the same formulas (eg// crime and robbery; which HK is famous during 80-90s )
As a Canto speaking Chinese guy I absolutely loved watching movies growing up through the 90's and even early 2000's. Stephen Chow, Triad Movies, Jackie Chan, the list goes on. I've been pretty bummed for years now seeing so few Hong Kong movies be made as a large part are China or like you said HK movies with some China cast. Even though HK movies and Dramas always use the same old scripts and often there's some horrible script or acting for some reason I still love watching them so I'm pretty excited to see this movie as I haven't watched many Canto speaking movies in a long time other than the Golden Job which sucked and Project Gutenberg which was aight. The CGI for the first time actually looks kind of legit in this movie too, bonus!

Old 03-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #10875
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Man love me some Stephen Chow movies. Always hilarious.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote