REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #11076
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I just watched it last night in the theatre. Lol.
I enjoyed Gravity a lot. Also watched in the theatre.
I also watched Dunkirk which I didn't enjoy and I found it's style a bit similar to 1917.

The issue I had is either I didn't feel like I got to know the characters well, or I didn't like the characters so it was hard for me to be attached.

Now that I think about it, maybe I just liked Sandra Bullock in Gravity. 1917 did purposely cast 2 "unknowns". And they were unknown to me, so that may have been a disadvantage for me. I guess it can work for or against, depending on the viewer.
I watched gravity in theaters and it was epic.
Dunkirk I did not like at all. Mainly because of the three perspectives: land, sea, and air. I didn't like how it was threaded together.

Could not imagine if they casted someone like Daniel Radcliffe, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson or even Sam Worthington.

You are right, they didn't do character development whatsoever and maybe caused a weak link. Looking back, Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Hacksaw Ridge, Black Hawk Down, they did spend solid time on characters.

OH, my dad and I had major beef at the beginning of the movie; 1) costume / outfits for the cast were a bit too clean at the beginning. Leather straps were like brand new. 2) don't these people eat? 3) Sandbags in the trenches were way way way too nicely packed.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #11077
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
1917 was absolutely a 9/10

It was a story of less than 18 hours in a 4 year long war. There was no character development because the characters didnt matter, they were just 2 BEF soldiers doing their duty. Having a big actor would have made it about the actor/character.

The way it was filmed was fantastic at making you feel immersed and that like you were along for the ride. You get emotionally connected to the journey.

It shouldn't be compared to saving private Ryan or hacksaw the same way Dunkirk cant be. Because SPR and hacksaw were about the characters. Dunkirk and 1917 were about the story.

The cinematography was incredible and unique with the one shot style. I feel sorry for anyone who tries to watch this on a laptop
Old 01-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #11078
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
Bad boys for life 7/10

Did anyone ask for it? Nope, but I'm glad it's here. In a movie industry saturated with either absolutely terrible remakes/reboots and movies that are intense, mindful and with beautiful cinematography; this Is a movie that everyone needs right now.

It's not something new, and it doesn't try to be either; it's just pure nostalgia, corny, cheesy, and fun.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #11079
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
^^ is will smith actually the will smith we all know and love? Or his more modern version of himself without charisma
Old 01-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #11080
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
^ That's why i gave it a 7/10, because him and martin lawrence don't have that charisma they had when they did bad boys 1 and 2. But they played it well, and still have that comedy vibe together. You can really feel how old they are on the big screen
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #11081
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Dunkirk I did not like at all. Mainly because of the three perspectives: land, sea, and air. I didn't like how it was threaded together.
Lol, I kind of "messed up" watching Dunkirk. When I saw the trailer, I put it on a "must watch" list and kind of left it alone without reading anything about it or getting hyped up cause I was going to watch it anyway. I tend to jump into movies "blind" when I have high expectations.

I had no idea about the unique timeline perspective thing, and I was confused as hell watching it, treating it like a chronological movie. Oh well... Not sure if it would have been a "deal maker" for me with that knowledge in prior anyway though.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #11082

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Dunkirk is much better watching it a second time. You see way more of the nuances and call-backs between scenes if you go in understanding the time shifting that Nolan designed.

Tarantino's episode on The Rewatchables Podcast recently on Dunkirk is a great listen if you like geeking out on film.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 PM   #11083

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Seven. 8.5/10

I knew none of the twists other than “what’s in the box”. I’ll spoiler it just in case

Spoiler!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:25 PM   #11084
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts

Forgot about this movie but got around to watching it as the concept fascinated me.

All in all it was watchable. I had some gripes about it. I wish the script went in a different direction. Instead, it plays a safe route while leaving the audience with some questions along the way. Some heartfelt moments for sure though. Great soundtrack too. The live action character design is a bit weird looking but I got used to it. Also I kind of wished 100-acre looked more 'magical' but they probably broke the budget with all the other VFX they had to add to the movie

7.0/10

It could have been much more adult in its themes and I think it would have been better but damnit Disney!

Spoiler!

Last edited by GS8; 01-25-2020 at 11:32 PM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #11085

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Bad Boys for Life: 7/10

This sequel has a bit of everything: good action scenes, humour, and a decent storyline.

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence look old AF. Bad Boys look like Bad Old Men.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #11086
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
bad boys 3 movie was kinda of terrible...in a way they picked the wrong actor for his "Son".....looked nothing like will smith,and same old Cartel story.....so many netflix series,so many movies ahead of the curve who've done that already....comedy was on point,action was expected,ending ruined it for me.

also didn't feel like the female villain was bad ass in anyway

5/10

Spoiler!

when i watch movies i always pay attention to something I've never seen or experienced story wise,couldn't wait for the movie to be over near the end and it was crap.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 01-27-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #11087

Ashfall

Claimed to be an awesome movie with an amazing cast.
2 directors in the film, cause one of them was a writer hence he got grandfathered into the job.

1) script is slow like molasses. don't get fooled as action packed volcano, st. andres, armagaddon type movie.
2) the cast, Lee Byung-hun (he was in GI joe playing Storm Shadow), Ha Jung-woo was in The Handmaiden, and of course, any korean movie can't be korean now without Ma Dong-seok (train to busan fat dude). All are solid actors but limited to a shit script & characters.
3) Unnecessary scenes: eg// driving a car off a cliff and suddenly hitting zero G.. like who the fuck cares. Women crying on a bus, main character pretends to not speak korean.. etc. 2 hr movie could have easily been 1.20 If only they could used the script for better character building....
4) Army dudes are like useless ... love how Korean makes US dudes looks like boy scouts.

Super disappointed; waste of talent, film, and story line. 6/10

Last edited by 6793026; 01-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #11088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
when i watch movies i always pay attention to something I've never seen or experienced story wise,couldn't wait for the movie to be over near the end and it was crap.
One of the reason which I read from a critic made a lot of sense; bad boys 1, pretty legit, 2 was expensive as fuck to produce esp when the Will Smith demanded crazy dollars. However, still do-able. Bad Boy 3 came ... and guess what... if you had to cut budget and choose between Michael Bay or Will Smith, no question, goodbye Michael Bay.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #11089
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
Spoiler!

Woah, you should spoiler your whole post!

I watched Bad Boys 3 and found it pretty entertaining... setting up for future instalments!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #11090

我的100分男友/我的筍盤男友-

Chinese Rom-Com (Crazy rich asian). It's NOT the greatest cause it's with C-list actor 陈家乐 (his big break was last movie about him taking care of a women going thru dementia) / actress 李靖筠 (she's actually a singer) as it's both of their FIRST lead role; he has his good looking moments. The girl plays an average looking girl with some poor chinese comedy. Last 1/4 of the movie is much better and has a few Jerry Maguire movement. Average script, good filming... overall an easy watch of a Chinese movie (cause nowadays, there are no rom com esp in HK theatres). 6.5-7/10
Old 01-30-2020, 12:36 AM   #11091

Super awesome movie; director + actor is famous + producer. All his movies are super duper legit.
《瘋狂的石頭》 (oldie but super hilarious about theft & karma )+《人在囧途》+《人再囧途之泰囧》(lost in thailand)+《港囧》(lost in hong Kong)+《我不是藥神》(Based on a real story on medication on a epidemic in China) were all 9/10, the only one I think was shit was 《瘋狂的外星人》

It's funny, family worthy and amazing acting. Nothing bad to say as the script + score were good. There are funny outtakes at the end (3 marvel clips).
Son and mom goes to Russia is the premise and why this movie drew so much attention is due to the fact the movie is free, streamed right after China banned any movies to be played during CNY.
A bit sad they'll lose a lot of money due to this corona virus fiasco and unable to have on the big screen.
It's about motherly + husband and wife love.

9/10

thanks DragonChi ... sorry i forgot to mention. Lost in Russia is the title (囧妈; literally: 'awkward mother')

Last edited by 6793026; 01-30-2020 at 09:50 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 AM   #11092
HELP ME PLS!!!

^Name/title?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #11093
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Parasite
8.75/10
Easily my 2nd favorite movie of last year, after Joker. The last 1/4 of the film felt crazy, but it was still done very well. Liked it a lot, would highly recommend it to everyone. I went in clean slate, not knowing anything about the movie. All I knew, was that it was highly acclaimed.

Knives Out
6/10
I was told it was good, but the last 1/3 of the movie was just so.... forced. It felt like they were trying wayyyy to hard to make it cool and tricky, but it was just a mess IMO. I don't think it's worth your time. Maybe I was overthinking all of the little details.

Ready or Not
7.5/10
I watched the trailer, thought it would be bad. All I knew was it was about hide and seek. But the movie itself was very nicely done, doesn't overstay it's welcome. Balances humor and scares well. I decided to watch it because it was on the Top 10 list of best endings for 2019 film. I enjoyed it, I think it's a good fun movie.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #11094

Enter the Fat Dragon
7.5-8/10 cause its in Japan, using new stars and the makeup and CGI was decent.
pretty legit chinese new yr movie. It was based on Japan and I'm thankful he's not just fighting kungfu, but there's a bit of comedy in it.

With all the closure of movies being in theatres and all being streamed online, i wonder how the will make money.
Classic CNY celebration. I'm also happy its not based in Hong Kong but in Japan.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #11095
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
if anyone brings up saving ryan vs hacksaw ridge i will lose my shit.

hacksaw ridge was horrible. everything was so unrealistic about it. tons of details that were meh.

saving private ryan sits on the golden throne for war movies in terms of deterministic realism. the dirtiness, the practical effects. nothing made u think "hey that is totally not how it looks or would act in real life"

that being said 1917 was not bad. I felt the "one long scene" thing was a bit too much, it took away from the story. some things coulda been transitioned or cut better, but they forced the "one long scene" technique in.

fury was very unrealistic too. very hollywood cheese.

i recently watched platoon. i cant believe i never seen that. sure it's got 1980's effects which suck shit LOL. but ignoring those things, it was a very good story about the internal struggles of a solider. they did a very good job of showing the "grime" and how mother nature is also your enemy, and probably your enemy 99% of the time you're at war. if the enemy doesnt get you, mother nature will.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #11096
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
one of the people on my facebook said " hacksaw ridge" was awesome.

mostly because he's a god boy and it was so awesome hearing preaching every 10 minutes on a war field

i couldn't fucking stand it.

underwater

6/10

you remember the alien series with Good old Ripley?...well guess what the fuck plays over again in a new form but underwater?....

yeah its that with a Point A to B running chase.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #11097
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Okja on netflix
9/10

I recall some ppl said Parasite (by the same director) was fucked up, i thought this one is much worse (or better?)...fucked up not in a "shock value" way, but in those dark, subtle under tone and portrayal that really makes you think
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 PM   #11098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Okja on netflix
9/10

I recall some ppl said Parasite (by the same director) was fucked up, i thought this one is much worse (or better?)...fucked up not in a "shock value" way, but in those dark, subtle under tone and portrayal that really makes you think
If you get a chance, check out The Host who was by the same director in 2006.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:59 PM   #11099

Corpus Christi, French / Polish drama about a juve kid who somehow during transfer, ended up in a small town. Somehow he become a priest and has to deal with his new identity.

Movie keeps you wanting to watch how it all plays out. It was filmed with a 1.3 M budget and it's deep movie. You'll recognize no one in the film but man, they can all act. You kind of want to see how the disaster turns out yet because of what he is dealing with in the town (a tragedy), you start to care about the guy.

Acting is solid, and the supporting cast are amazing as well. Script is well written and you come out feeling for the guy. That's all I can ask for. 8.5/10 Didn't care about the plot holes, couldn't ask for a in your face ending like Parasite, I'm happy the ride was a good one.

It's a legit script, you'll see some plot holes but overall a solid watch. I love watching these foreign films making it at the Oscars.

Parasite will win it all this year, Pain and Glory SUCKED SHITTTT I don't know how it would win, but I would rank Corpus Christi # 2.

Still gotta watch Honeyland & les Mis before I figure out who wins at Oscars.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:29 AM   #11100

Dark waters

so sad it only mad $11 M, but damn, the script was solid, legit and really good since mark Ruffalo was in it as well as produced it. He even gained weight doing this film and acted dumb, clumsy being the character.
Tim Robbins does a legit scene too in it. It's been a while to see him and he's fierce as ever.
i think it's similar to Erin Brockovich, and honestly, it's such a long time ago, I can't even remember.

Typical small lawyer against a big corporation. I thought it was good, just didn't think it needed 2 hrs. 8/10

Last edited by 6793026; 02-13-2020 at 12:37 AM.
This post thanked by: