REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #4751
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
McJac's Roadhouse Grille 8/10
Big Ridge Brewing Company 6.5/10
Advertisement

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #4752
RS controls my life!

Rouge WetBar on Broadway

First off the service was great. The gf and I came around 8pm for dinner and only bar seating was available. The tables are lit up with LEDs and really annoying (for me atleast) but they do look really cool. Our server changed our tables as soon as a spot was open.

We had the Fries X3 and hot wigs to start. The wings were nothing special but the fries were good. You get 3 different styles of fries, 1 poutine, 1 is a creamy sauce with bacon, and my favorite was the parmessan with truffle oil. For entree my gf got the burger which is made in house. Great texture and flavor, it was cooked to medium well so it was still very juicy. I had the mushroom and pepperoni pizza with roasted garlic which was excellent. Crust was thin and super crispy which I really liked.

Would return!
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #4753
RS controls my life!

double post.
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #4754
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,550 Times in 463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
heard this place is pricy, how much was the bill for 2 ?
Sorry, late response (in regards to Octopus' Garden), only saw this now!

Also spent about $60 bucks in total for two. A bit pricey, but nothing too outrageous!
palepilsenpin0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #4755
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Texx Big Burger in the Guildford Area of Surrey. It's like Five Guys, but with a more mom n' pop feel. Not quite as good, but it's still an awesome burger, and it's pretty big when you have their "regular" fries (it's a lie in a good way, they fill the cup and then the bag they put everything into). I'm a big guy, and I can barely finish a bacon double cheeseburger with fries.

Worth a shot if you're in the neighborhood, and now I don't have to drive to White Rock for Five Guys . 9/10
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #4756
I LIKE JDM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Texx Big Burger in the Guildford Area of Surrey. It's like Five Guys, but with a more mom n' pop feel. Not quite as good, but it's still an awesome burger, and it's pretty big when you have their "regular" fries (it's a lie in a good way, they fill the cup and then the bag they put everything into). I'm a big guy, and I can barely finish a bacon double cheeseburger with fries.

Worth a shot if you're in the neighborhood, and now I don't have to drive to White Rock for Five Guys . 9/10
Nice! I drove by that place and thinking to myself, "what the heck?!!? New burger place?"
Although their menu seems kind of similar to other burger joints, I might check it out as I love burgers!!!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #4757
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
New place by The Globowl Group
The Fish Shack

There's no better way to eat Seafood than the Barbaric way of a Mallet and a wooden chopping board..

This was a pound of clams and mussels

and this is Sunday Special
$20 for a whole lobster or a crab

Dessert was on the house, toffee cake and a cheesecake

Spent $110 between 4 people. one and half round of drinks, 1.5lbs of clams/mussels. probably 2-3 lbs of seafood catch, and the crab and lobster with awesome fries

Only thing I didnt like were the whole crayfish in the seafood catch... They have an odd taste and texture to them.
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #4758
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Spoiler!

Was it busy? Did you get the $30 catch or $20 catch? How does it compare to Crab Pot?

$20 for that lobster is not bad. Instead of fries can you get something else?
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #4759
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

wow that looks really good thanks for the pictures ! did anything else catch your eye on the menu?
importantLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #4760
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Araxi 9/10, well worth it. Food was incredible.

BC oysters 5 ways
Duck Breast

Foie Gras Parfait
Rabbit with Pork Cheek (the lentils were amazing)

Fuji Apple Beignet
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #4761
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
glowbal restaurants aren't as appealing. and then menu... sorry it's getting worse and worse.

i can't see how this place will last. to be honest sanafir was decent but I'm glad they are into 'changing' things up and to see it being newly designed was pretty cool, but seriously, vancouver being such a foodie place ot have fish shack is disappointing, oh well. i hvae been to all their places and black and blue is sort of better than their other establishments.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #4762
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Spoiler!

Was it busy? Did you get the $30 catch or $20 catch? How does it compare to Crab Pot?

$20 for that lobster is not bad. Instead of fries can you get something else?
Posted via RS Mobile
Crab Pot is better, we only got the small catch because of the full lobster deal. I don't know if we could get fries in place of something else, but I'm sure its fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by importantLS View Post
wow that looks really good thanks for the pictures ! did anything else catch your eye on the menu?
Didn't really look, the owner greeted us and recommended we eat like barbarians and get the deal. He offered desserts for everyone on the house too. My girlfriend did try the fish and chips and it wasn't amazing, but still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
glowbal restaurants aren't as appealing. and then menu... sorry it's getting worse and worse.

i can't see how this place will last. to be honest sanafir was decent but I'm glad they are into 'changing' things up and to see it being newly designed was pretty cool, but seriously, vancouver being such a foodie place ot have fish shack is disappointing, oh well. i hvae been to all their places and black and blue is sort of better than their other establishments.
Globowl has a way of attracting people, the prices are fair and competitive enough to go head to head with big chains. Better food at the price too. Im not too big of a fan of black and blue.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #4763
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:

i had a terrible dining experience at sanafir and that turned me off of glowbal forever. just my experience but i couldnt get past it.

darth: the crawfish probably tasted funny because it was probably dead before it got to the restaurant. why cant we just celebrate the stuff we actually have thats fresh instead of trying to import stuff? i know lobster is an exception because its freshly exported all the time, but when i see crawfish on a menu i'll just never order it.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #4764
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:

There's still a niche in Vancouver for restaurants with loud music, oversized menus and perceived as a hot spot/place to see and be seen per se (e.g. Coast O lounge) .
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #4765
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i had a terrible dining experience at sanafir and that turned me off of glowbal forever. just my experience but i couldnt get past it.

darth: the crawfish probably tasted funny because it was probably dead before it got to the restaurant. why cant we just celebrate the stuff we actually have thats fresh instead of trying to import stuff? i know lobster is an exception because its freshly exported all the time, but when i see crawfish on a menu i'll just never order it.
First time having crayfish for me
it was included in the seafood catch I had.

never will I try it again.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #4766
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
^ its different and much better when fresh. But to each there own, a bad experience can ruin something good forever
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #4767
I LIKE JDM!!

Sushi Train: 7/10

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #4768
I bringith the lowerballerith

Gyu King Teppanyaki on Burrand in Downtown Vancouver

I'm writing this review with a honest top to bottom assessment with all factors considered (Atmosphere, Food, Service, Value and Overall Experience)

We visited the restaurant in Late October 2012 on a Groupon Offer of $59 for a 10 course meal for 2

Atompshere 3.5/5
- Located on the 2nd Floor tucked away on Alberni Street
- Modern comfy wood decor in the restaurant typical to what you find in a Japanese teppanyaki place
- The entrance is seperated into a lounge/bar area (where you await or wait if it gets busy). Inside is a main teppanyaki area and 2 smaller rooms (with teppanyaki grills)
- The restaurant is probably around 10-20 years old and can use some maintenance in certain areas. The restaurant sign above the main entrance door is missing and the hallway that leads to the dining area can use a cleanup and maintenance. Sometimes restaurants business are very popular or busy and neglect the smaller details to make the experience more perfect overall

Food: 4/5
- The food was very fresh, properly presented but lacked any type of creativity. There's 3 sauces (lemon juice, garlic seasme and ketchupy tomato sauce). Sadly all the grilled meat and seafood was flavoured with salt & pepper or soya sauce and better
- Lobster Miso Soup (tasted fresh but didn't have any lobster pieces in it
- Garden Salad. Overall this was fresh too with a dollop of mayo and some soya sauce
- Grilled Lobster. We shared 1 lobster per couple. Very fresh and tasty
- Shrimp. I think these were the 26/30 size and they tasted good. 3 pieces in total
- Beef Tenderloin. Cooked properly as requested medium rare. Very fresh. 3 pieces in total
- Foie Gras with wonderbread toast. This was a joke of a dish. The foie was the size of a quarter and served on toasted wonderbread white toast
- Beef Usuyaki. Grilled Sliced Ribeye with deep fried garlic and raw green onions. The start of the night. Wish we got more pieces!
- Beef Fried Rice. Properly cooked but the portion was small
- Grilled Vegetables. Cabbage, Brocolli and Enoki mushroom only. Wish they put some carrot in there to add some color for presentation
- Ice Cream. You get a choice between green tea and mango. My green tea had specs of mango in it along with many icicles (guess someone didn't close the ice cream lid)

I joked with my dining partner that even though it seemed we had alot of food (10 courses) - all the food would fit on the very small serving plate they used.

Service: 3.5/5
- Host / Manager. Was friendly, quickly greeted us and lead us to our table
- Waitress. Friendly. Plates taken away on time, perhaps a bit overbearing as they often asked us if we were done with our soup and salad (I tend to like to leave it with the other courses so this can be eaten bit by bit)
- Chef. Overall I would say the chefs are well trained, friendly. The only downfall is that they lack the social skill which in my opinon makes or breaks the experience of teppanyaki. Also if you expect to see a show with tricks then this is not for you.

Value: 1/5
- We had dined here with a GROUPON at a cost of $59. The portion in my opinion is very tiny. A small suggestion is that they can offer a larger portion for the fillers (fried rice and vegetables).
- There is a automatic 15% gratiuty (clearly indicated on the bill) and tax added which we had no issue. The total bill was $75 (including cost of Groupon for 2 people) which I felt was not worth it with the amount of food received. They advertised their lobster (1.5 lbs as a value of $49.80 and foie gras - the size and thickness of a quarter as $18 at the regular menu price).
- I wouldn't want to imagine how much you would have to spend if not on Groupon and paying the regular menu price.

Overall Experience: 3/5
- I would go for the novelty factor (if you haven't been) on the Groupon to save a few bucks but personally I would not return.
- There are better restaurant options in Vancouver and if you really crave for Japanese teppanyaki I would highly recommend Bennihanna in US
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #4769
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Boiling Point in Richmond... 7/10... i think it gets a 7 b/c the weather is so bad.. it makes it taste better.

I don't like how everything sits in a boiling pot as you eat.... in the end.. all your meat and veggies are cooked like MUSH. Soup base taste pretty good though.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #4770
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
Gyu King Teppanyaki on Burrand in Downtown Vancouver

Service: 3.5/5
- Chef. Overall I would say the chefs are well trained, friendly. The only downfall is that they lack the social skill which in my opinon makes or breaks the experience of teppanyaki. Also if you expect to see a show with tricks then this is not for you.

Value: 1/5
- We had dined here with a GROUPON at a cost of $59. The portion in my opinion is very tiny. A small suggestion is that they can offer a larger portion for the fillers (fried rice and vegetables).
Thought about buying that groupon, but online reviews pretty much said everything you noted: Teppanyaki portion and price but without the show. Kind of defeats the purpose of having Teppanyaki in the first place.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #4771
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Have you guys been to Osaka at the corner of Burrard and W. Broadway? I had a good experience there. Mind you, it was my first time ever having teppanyaki but my friends had been there before and got to know the cook there.

If you ever go, ask for Oliver. He's pretty socialable and a lot of fun, especially when you buy him a few shots.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #4772
Director of RS Cares

^I second this. Osaka's owner, Johnny, use to be a chef at Kobe then started up his own place. He's still cooking so be sure to get his table! Or Roland (co owner)!

Be sure to get their fried rice..GAHH so good!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #4773
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Heirloom Vegetarian 9/10.

The setting, service, menu, and food were all fabulous. I will definitely be returning.

It is not a restaurant that you must be a vegetarian/vegan to enjoy.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #4774
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Blue Water Cafe

My overall reaction was ehhh.

Service was good, atmosphere was pretentious, prices are through the roof. ~$45 entrees, $12 for a sushi roll, $12 for a cocktail, etc

Good food, nice restaurant if you feel like going fancy. Doubt I'll be returning though.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #4775
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Haroo by Deer Garden,

8/10, authentic korean food in richmond
price is slightly high but once again, it is authentic korean.

service is pretty good, small storefront though.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote