REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #4951
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

are you sure thats grilled fish dukes? looks like anago.
Advertisement
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #4952
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
It may have been anago. I'm not sure. I just ate it.

Go try it for yourself!

Edit: I think you are right.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #4953
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
shiiieeeet just got real.

Is omakase available regularly or did you have to specially ask for it?
Posted via RS Mobile
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #4954
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
shiiieeeet just got real.

Is omakase available regularly or did you have to specially ask for it?
Posted via RS Mobile
I wanted to see what this guy was all about so I asked if he would be up for an omakase and was more than happy to oblige. It's not on the menu so just ask!

I would go an try it before this place gets too popular. Yuji works by himself and for now, does not offer cooked food (i.e. udon etc.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #4955
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Baker One in Aberdeen. Just opened up last week and they have the best chili seafood pasta and mussels. Yum. I will be going there a lot. I highly recommend it to everyone.
Posted via RS Mobile
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #4956
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Also Baker One Cafe has awesome siphoned coffee. I sat there and studied all day and I found the service superb as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #4957
RS Veteran

^
Did they replace that Ayoyama coffee place or whatever it's called? Or is this a completely new place that opened up? Any idea which brand of coffee they serve or if they roast their own?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #4958
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

phnom penh......8.5/10 ; chicken wings sooo good!!!!!!!!
Xplicit_EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #4959
My homepage has been set to RS

Hapa Izakaya on Robson & Nicola.

80% of the customers were Caucasians

food: 7/10

how are the other Hapa locations compared to this one?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #4960
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post

Should a connection be made between the clientele and your overall rating?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #4961
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

smokes poutinerie

had the montreal poutine 5/10
portions small for what you pay, gravy was lukewarm, cheese curds were not melted and the montreal smoke meat was nothing special.

Smoke's Poutinerie
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #4962
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:

They have white people too, so not that good.
But seriously, not a huge fan of hapa. Its pretty pricey for what you get, and very pedestrian Japanese food, made for people that may not appreciate some of the more authentic stuff. Its decent and there is one like 100 ft from my place, but I'll only go there if I'm super lazy and I've already eaten at abigails up the street in the last week. They are all pretty much the same.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #4963

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
But seriously, not a huge fan of hapa. Its pretty pricey for what you get, and very pedestrian Japanese food, made for people that may not appreciate some of the more authentic stuff. Its decent and there is one like 100 ft from my place, but I'll only go there if I'm super lazy and I've already eaten at abigails up the street in the last week. They are all pretty much the same.
Hapa's draw is its waitresses (or at least that was the case when it first opened)

Suika or Guu >>>> Hapa in terms of food
Posted via RS Mobile
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #4964

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePee2 View Post
smokes poutinerie

had the montreal poutine 5/10
portions small for what you pay, gravy was lukewarm, cheese curds were not melted and the montreal smoke meat was nothing special.

Smoke's Poutinerie
$8 seems a bit steep too. Ordered the triple pork, at the bottom of the box there was a quarter of a potatoe nugget uncut, I brought it to the guy and he was like yah...some people like those big pieces...I was like Wtfff
Posted via RS Mobile
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #4965
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I am slightly biased here (and in no way offended) but my lady friend and I are close friends with the manager at their Coal Harbour location (who once managed Kits and Yaletown.) We got to meet the owners of the restaurants who happen to be half Japanese/White so they've decided to take a twist on traditional izakaya fare, catering it to a "Western" crowd if you will.

Getting back to the food however, I know they do not serve straight up "traditional fare" but keep in mind the name of the establishment - Hapa, meaning "half" or "mixed." Like any restaurant, yes, they have their off days. I'm not going to defend the overall opinions of Hapa and again, being brutally honest and biased, we haven't been overly critical or disappointed in the food. And yes, this includes the odd off day here and there. To be fair, there are days where I'm just like "FUUUUUUUUUU! WTF is this?!"
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #4966
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:

i don't think thats a valid point in any sense. i went to zakkushi the other day and the clientele was about 60% caucasian. doesn't take away from the fact the place is authentic and the best place for yakitori in vancouver. id say judging a place based on clientele is not always the best way to evaluate a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I am slightly biased here (and in no way offended) but my lady friend and I are close friends with the manager at their Coal Harbour location (who once managed Kits and Yaletown.) We got to meet the owners of the restaurants who happen to be half Japanese/White so they've decided to take a twist on traditional izakaya fare, catering it to a "Western" crowd if you will.

Getting back to the food however, I know they do not serve straight up "traditional fare" but keep in mind the name of the establishment - Hapa, meaning "half" or "mixed." Like any restaurant, yes, they have their off days. I'm not going to defend the overall opinions of Hapa and again, being brutally honest and biased, we haven't been overly critical or disappointed in the food. And yes, this includes the odd off day here and there. To be fair, there are days where I'm just like "FUUUUUUUUUU! WTF is this?!"
i would agree with dukes although id say i am never really overly impressed with the food but i never really have any complaints. i just find the price to value ratio is a bit...off compared to other restaurants like guu, suika and kingyo.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #4967
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

Oh I hope I didn't come across as I believed it attempted to be traditional and fell short. I've also met an owner on a few occasions as my old boss was quite good friends with him and he is a very friendly guy. I certainly don't mean to come across as I think it isn't good, I just don't think its usually worth the price the bill comes to. I can't go their with my girlfriend and spend less than 80 bucks, even if we only have 1 drink. I kinda wanted to make a point that it was "canadianized" for lack of a better word, so people knew what to expect, as someone seemed to be quite surprised that there was a high percentage of caucasians. If I wasn't a broke ass cook I'd be a little less concerned with my money when it comes to food, and probably enjoy going there a little more often, however value is very important IMO, as there is a lot of awesome food in this city.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #4968
RS Veteran

^
No worries!

Like yourself, I find that some people have the expectation that Hapa Izakaya offers traditional Japanese izakaya fare which isn't the case. It's completely misunderstood for the most part. And yes, I agree, the food-to-money/value ratio isn't the greatest but I guess they need to pay their bills somehow given the locations they're in. (Which in turn, means we don't go there very often LOL!)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #4969
RS Veteran

Another follow up to Sushi By Yuji. I came here just a bit after 7pm today with my siblings. Omakase again! 10/10!

Spoiler!

As subordinate mentioned in his original post, they have a few kinks to work out. It was a full house tonight and a lot of customers had to wait very patiently for their food. It didn't help that I started Yuji's evening with an omakase for 3 and then suddenly the entire restaurant was packed full of patrons. I got the feeling these people were expecting Sushi Garden type of service, not understanding that Yuji works alone and that their patience will be rewarded with his delicious food.

Needless to say, if his restaurant keeps up like this (which I hope it does) he may need one or two extra staff on hand. I felt that Yuji and his waitress were overwhelmed and not used to such a huge rush.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #4970

HOLY MOLY,

That looks incredible, you should post that on a food blog or something lol. The pictures already make me want to go back.

I hear you on the patrons that expect Sushi Garden stuff. A friend joined me once and he words were "what? no chicken teriyaki?" lol.

I jokingly asked yuji after my meal, when he was going to offer teriyaki and he said when he gets in his other permits. Guess it's smart to cater to a larger clientelle.

I wouldn't be opposed to ordering teriyaki too lol
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #4971
RS Veteran

I think the people who were there tonight were just straight up hungry and were impatient, not knowing that Yuji makes everything from scratch and he works on a "First Come, First Served" basis. There were a bunch of hipsters who showed up tonight expecting to eat right away and I think they got antsy. And to boot, they all came in one after another and that's when the place got packed.

He mentioned something about obtaining different permits for his restaurant. He's working towards getting his alcohol permit and that should be ready around March or April.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #4972

Lol dukes, I noticed the url on the images, went to the website, And saw this,

Is it just me, or is the Foundation on the other side........

Edit. P.S. How much was the bill the recent Omasake? same?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #4973
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Lol dukes, I noticed the url on the images, went to the website, And saw this,

Is it just me, or is the Foundation on the other side........

Edit. P.S. How much was the bill the recent Omasake? same?

Haha yeah, the Foundation is on the other side. I think the person who created that ran out of space or something. (It wasn't me.)

The first omakase for 2 was $65 + tax and tip. Today's omakase for 3 was $89 (rounded up) before tax and tip. If you go back, definitely try it out. I think Yuji prefers to be creative in his offerings and that's what really showcases a chefs skills.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #4974
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
More like places i've been to the last month.

Chewies - i love fried chicken. This one was damn good 8.5/10

Ichiro - one of my favourite sushi place and near home too. Lunch specials are a good deal. 9/10

Toshi - I don't get the hype to this place, sushi seems to be made in a rushed manner. 6.5/10

Minami Sushi - I like their pressed/boxed sushi, other things didn't stand out too much. A bit expensive for what it was 7/10

Blue Water Cafe - Food was great especially the pork sampler, however saw a disturbing thing at the sushi bar. Saw a plate of hamachi sashimi returned to the bar, instead of tossing it out. He puts it back in the fridge and makes something seared out of it later. A little disturbing for a restaurant of that quality. Food 9/10
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #4975

Hate going in this thread...making me hungry.

I agree with you on the Toshi comment.

And blue water, seriously?
That is disgusting, are you 100% that an employee used it? If so, I would have emailed the company or told a manager on the spot, that's not right.

The only thing I can think of, is if an employee is saving it to eat later on, and confirmed with the Server that the customer did not touch it.