REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #4626
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
The ramen place on w broadway . Noodles are good, soup is decent , amount of pork = 2
Slices . Service ok, nothing spetacular
menya?
Advertisement
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #4627
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
The ramen place on w broadway . Noodles are good, soup is decent , amount of pork = 2
Slices . Service ok, nothing spetacular
Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 ramen places on w.broadway
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #4628
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

The American CheeseSteak Co.

9/10. Had the cowboy. Prime rib steak, provolone and fried onions smothered in BBQ sauce, can't go wrong. 2x 6 Inch sub and a pitcher for $40 ...
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #4629
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
Ate at "Gingeri" in Lansdowne today.

Food was decent, but the service was complete shit.

The person lead us to a 2'x2' table that was slanted. Fantastic, barely any room to eat. We had asked to get a different table, but Shirley (Manager ?, the ones dressed in black) looked at us, nodded and told us that'll be fine as soon as a table frees up. Which, there were tons of small 3-people tables that became available as we ate.

At one point, our table looked like this, and still had 2 more dishes to come.

As you can see, everything is piled up quite a bit already.

The final two dishes came, and the waitress (Winnie) looked puzzled as where to put the food. She picks up my uncles chopsticks (top right corner in above photo) and places the food there. The following conversation between the two went as such,

Uncle: Uhh, what are you doing ? I can't believe you're doing this. (Referring to the chopsticks issue)
Winnie: Yeah, theres no room.
U: We got a tiny table, no shit.
W: It's not my problem you got a tiny table, I didn't assign you a seat. I'm only here to bring your food.
U: Can you inform your manager of this issue ?
W: No, not at this moment. I'm busy and theres no managers around (I saw at least 5 or 6 of them casually walking around)
U: Then tell them when you have time.

She didn't say anything back and was slowly backing away throughout this conversation. This is what our table looked like after everything arrived.

We waved a manager (Ricky) over, so we voiced our concerns and he was understanding of them. He offered a bigger table, but thats about it. We were nearly done our meal as well. Some waiters were quick to pickup our plates and such as we were finished with the food.

End of the day, I think Shirley lying about a larger table and Winnie's lack of service and professionalism really tipped the iceberg.

Food, 6/10
Service, 3/10

Hopefully this issue made sense, I'm not a professional writer or anything. Ask if you need any clarification
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #4630
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
its usually like that when i go to a chinese restaurant for dimsum lol

no room for anything usually end up stacking each steamer dimsum thing on top of each other
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #4631
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
it's not uncommon. Sorry, sometime I just don't understand why you wouldn't just finish the final piece to clear up the space. Yes we all know it's small table but complaining to them ain't going to help. You're at a Chinese restaurant, and a mere 2-3 star one at best. If you were at Kirin, the Keg, West, Blue Water Cafe, I'm sure you're going to get a bit more apologetic staff and someone would help, but you're again, at a Chinese restaurant.

As a customer, I know where you're coming from, from the dim sum handlers, what do you expect them to really do for you really? They are just like a mere clean up / bread servers at a place like Cactus club establishment.

Sorry man, I can see where you're coming from, but complaining just ain't going to be worth your time. IMHO
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #4632
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Yea seems normal to me too. I think I've packed more on a similar size table before.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #4633
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Bitching is not going to help at a Chinese place. Did you help to re-arrange the food so it can fit more dishes on? I see scatted dishes/tea cups and a bit of organizing can help with space.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #4634

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
The waitress speaking to a customer like that is what really got me. How the waitress presented herself was very unprofessional, even for a Chinese restaurant IMO. Her tone of voice, body language etc...

Table space, theres 3 people eating... Doesn't leave us with much space for other food items. Just had to rant a little here, as I haven't seen this bad service for awhile.

Lesson learned, complaining @ Chinese restaurants is pointless. Next time, I'll just leave less tips
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #4635
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
gotham steakhouse

tried the rib eye steak and filet

rib eye more flavour but more fat, filet is pure meat no fat but more blood due to being a lump

best dish was the oyster rockerfeller.... and the dungeness crab cake was small and wasn't worth it.

if you are a steak person sure but i am a seafood so i probably wouldn't go back for 40$+ steak again

8/10

edit: man i should of tried the porter..... had no clue what it was too! rib eye > filet though

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Porterhouse has two sides - filet and NY, separated by a bone in the middle. Order the Porterhouse, skip the appy (pricey, and the suck), go straight to mashed potatoes and sauteed mushrooms =

I can probably eat 2 Porterhouse myself, but that would be $110 just on meat... anyone know if I can mega-size the Porterhouse?

holy,i barely finished off the porterhouse 16 oz steak let alone anything bigger at Gotham steakhouse

9/10...my bill coming to 80 dollars for myself,quite pricy but i loved the atmosphere..i sat on the dimly lite high black wall area side & not the white table side....asked for medium/rare...was cooked to perfection on a fire BBQ grill

waitresses here are really cute here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSherwin View Post
Gotham's has their Porters delivered to them and I'm pretty sure they only come in the 24oz size.. They don't have the saw to cut the steaks themselves. They only do Tenderloins and Striploins themselves so they can do larger cuts of those, from what I remember!

how would you know this?,anyways...i ordered the 16 oz im quite sure.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #4636
I don't get it

Cattle Hot Pot
8/10
Pree good only miff was the lamb had a slight frozen taste to it (wasn't frozen when on the plate)

beware of parking..
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #4637
10psi aint enough...

West Beach bar and grill in white rock.

Had the mussels for appy 9/10 and swiss mushroom burger with coleslaw 8/10.

Good service, waitress took her time to make my friend's pasta the way he liked.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #4638
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
how would you know this?,anyways...i ordered the 16 oz im quite sure.
I worked in the kitchens at Gotham and Shore Club.
DJSherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #4639
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise240 View Post
The waitress speaking to a customer like that is what really got me. How the waitress presented herself was very unprofessional, even for a Chinese restaurant IMO. Her tone of voice, body language etc...

Table space, theres 3 people eating... Doesn't leave us with much space for other food items. Just had to rant a little here, as I haven't seen this bad service for awhile.

Lesson learned, complaining @ Chinese restaurants is pointless. Next time, I'll just leave less tips
If you have 3 people and you are seated at a 2 person table, why would you stay? You know you will order a lot of dishes and it will get crowded.

Like you said earlier, they said you can move once a table frees up. Did you use your discretion when ordering food knowing that you would crowd your table? Probably not because you were starving. Then the dishes came faster than a table can be turned over for you. So now what? Winnie comes over with your last dish. The food delivery girl whose sole purpose is to deliver food and you ask her to bus a table for you?

Perhaps you shouldn't have ordered so much food. Just kidding. Next time, ask for a table with a lazy susan and should you find yourself in the same situation leave!
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #4640
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

The latest place i when to was Shanghai Xiao Long Bao Restaurant on Richards street downtown. The view inside the restaurant is quite high-class and very welcoming. I went with my friend, we were not very hungry only looking for a small snack. The waiter was very kind and friendly when taking our order(offering water and such). He insisted we try their infamous xiao long bao, and so we did. The xiao long bao dumplings were extremely tasty with enough soup to fill the big chinese spoons. The soup inside the xiao long bao was a mouthful of delicious flavours that one can only describe through words. I highly recommend others to go check this place out if you're near by or have some spare time. ^_^ cheeeerrs
lavisxice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #4641
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
wangs beef noodle

Dumb fucking cunt of a bitch screwed up our orders and gave us 2 large spicy beef noodle and 1 small non spicy instead of 1 large non spicy and 2 small 1 spicy and 1 non spicy. She even repeated the order for us to hear. At first she only gave us 1 small and 1 large and a few minutes later we asked her where was our other small(spicy) and she goes "oh brb let me check" and comes back and tells us that they forgot about it. They didnt even refill our tea. I've been here quite a few times and it seems like they always screw something up.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #4642
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushy View Post
wangs beef noodle
You're not the only one who had a bad experience.

Wangs Taiwan Beef Noodle House | OffTheGlobe

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #4643
10psi aint enough...

Shabu shabu at continental mall richmond.
Individual hotpot, $15-$25 per person depending what combo you order.

Had the sirloin combo, came with house special soup, house satay sauce, veggie platter (veggies, mushroom, corn, tofu, taro), udon or rice, bbt (milk, black, etc), dessert for about $15/person.
Fiance had the same combo but with pork neck $17/person.
Ordered side dishes scallop and tiger prawn and a beer.

Came up to about $51 taxed in.

Good service and yummy food. Actually got full from this and felt portion was very good!
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #4644
I bringith the lowerballerith

Richmond night market - Home depot / Ikea one

Here is my review and the few places I tried

TW fried chicken stall on the main row left side
- The chicken and everything else there is pre-fried and then re-fried / re-heat and given to you
- Ordered a bag of TW fried chicken with basil for $5 gotta give it 4/5
- Only shady part was that the guy picked some chicken from the main pile (in the box) and then pick some other chicken from hidden view below where the main pile was. Really shady if you ask me.
- 4/5 for food but 0/5 for shadiness

Shaved Mango Ice (main row left side)
- Ran by family who seems to care about what they sell
- Ordered the a cup of Sago with mango and coconut milk. Normally this can't be botched but the Mango was very sour and had a very old off taste + they peeled it too much to the core so you can taste the mango seed core.
- 1/5 for today. But would try again in the future

Takoyaki place (left side end of main row)
- Got the 6 pieces of octopus takoyaki. They are quite generous with the benito shavings which is good
- 4/5

Fried Squid Place (end of far left row)
- $2 special for a plate of soya sauce noodles 5/5
- They had fried squid I wanted to try but it was pretty pricy at $7.25 - portion is huge compared to the regular bbq squid!

Still don't understand why people line up for the hurricane potato stands - there were at least 3-4 stalls and they had pretty consistent lineups.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #4645
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
5 spot cafe in queen anne Washington, its like a burnaby distance to seattle.... so head down if you are travelling south soon!

best memphis pulled pork sandwich i have ever eaten @ a restaurant.

best sandwich i have EVER eeaten was the mexican baja (ba - ha) with teh chicken...

IT'S A MUST IF U WANT THE TASTIEST MEXICAN there

11/10

restaurant changes theme too so it's mexican time

5 Spot - Queen Anne - Seattle | Urbanspoon
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #4646
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Au petite cafe 9/10

Haven't been there in a year. Decided to drop by for a sandwich lunch. Got the chicken and the meatball sandwich. Still tastes oh so good every time. Downside is the small dining area and lineup at noon.
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #4647
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Blue Water Cafe

7/10

LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #4648
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Ball so hard.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #4649
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Between 2 guests?!
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #4650

Anton's Pasta

9/10

30minute wait outside, big portion food and packed it home like everyone else