REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #6426
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,930 Times in 504 Posts
Went with a friend for her bday lunch to Miku today, it was so good.

We got resos for 1:30, since the place is always packed for lunch. They were able to push our reservation up to 12:45 since we wanted to sit on the patio, which was real nice.

We got miso soup, jidori chicken nanban, aburi chirashi tart, salmon oshi sushi and soy braised beef. All were so good; chicken was flavourful and juicy, the tart was creamy but light and fresh, salmon oshi is always good and the beef was stupid tender and delicious.

Service was great; they seated us quick and our server was very attentive without being overbearing.

For pics, I just have some from snapchat, sorry.

Spoiler!

I can't see myself eating here often like most of the business people there, but I'll definitely take people there for special occasions. Solid 9/10
Advertisement
kakucaekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #6427
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Wildebeest: Got the angus striploin($34) plus a piece of foie gras for $10 extra. Steak was decent but foie gras was just alright, I could make the same taste foie gras at home with frozen ones. Steak is a little small. 8.5/10

Service is almost non-existent and individual tables are only available if you come early. Booked a table for 7pm and we were sat on this long table and luckily only one side were occupied by another party of two. It would suck if both sides were surrounded by other people while I'm just trying to enjoy dinner
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #6428
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Denny's in Langley, the fancy one by Willowbrook Mall.

8/10

This is the best Denny's, ever. They took over a space that was owned by Moxie's, and they went with the existing theme. I had a double cheeseburger, and my wife got chicken strips and fries. Standard Denny's stuff. The burger was excellent. The patties were juicy, and the fries were crispy. The chicken strips were also noticeably crispy. I washed down my burger with their house lager. It was a big 20oz for under $5. It was decent, cheap beer. The prices are standard Denny's prices, and the bonus of the upscale decor, and bar, make this an awesome place to visit whether you're blitzed or sober. They have a patio, too.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #6429

Hamilton St grill
Due to hy's delaying their opening day after renovations (again!) decided to go give this place a try after reading Ronin's thread.
Got the 20oz ny strip with mushroom red wine sauce and le gf got the filet. For $38 for the ny it was definitely not bad and I would totally go again for a cheap steak fix. Service wasn't all that great since there was only 5 tables occupied in the entire restaurant yet the server barely came at all to see if things were alright.
8.5/10 for value+taste, will not hesitate to come again if craving steak but don't feel like blowing $130+ or whatever at hy's
Old 09-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #6430
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Le crocodile , 8.5/10.

house of tofu soup 7/10
Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #6431
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Had a quick brunch with a friend at Joe Fortes, it was meh.

Ordered a Truffle Parmesan Fries to share. They really should have called it the salty parmesan fries instead. Flavour of truffle oil was next to none, and the fries were overly salty for some reason.

Ordered the Atlantic Lobster Benedict (mushroom and leek, white wine cream sauce, poached eggs, hollandaise)

The eggs were soft and runny, perfect to my liking. What lobster? there was only a few morsels of it. The sauce had me confused because there was a clear note of bitterness coming through. I thought it might have been the salted fries messing with my palate, so I tried a few more bites after sipping some water. The bitterness persisted. I assume that it may have been the white wine in the sauce that was either not reduced properly or simply burnt.

Lobster Eggs Benny: 6/10
Truffle Parmesan Fries: 5/10
Service: 7/10

Last edited by Gallardo; 09-29-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #6432
My homepage has been set to RS

G-Men Ramen. Wanted to try this place for a while, wasn't that impressed to say the least. Appetizer sashimi was pretty good, but overpriced for the amount you get.

RCMP Ramen vaguely tasted like spicy tomato soup, Tonkotsu Miso Raman was better, but I didn't find the broth having any depth, noodles were excellent though.

7/10
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #6433
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
G-Men Ramen. Wanted to try this place for a while, wasn't that impressed to say the least. Appetizer sashimi was pretty good, but overpriced for the amount you get.

RCMP Ramen vaguely tasted like spicy tomato soup, Tonkotsu Miso Raman was better, but I didn't find the broth having any depth, noodles were excellent though.

7/10
i haven't been to g-men since it moved onto alexandra but i recommend yah-yah-ya ramen if you're in richmond.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #6434
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

gothams 9/10
joe fortes 8/10
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 PM   #6435

Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
gothams 9/10
joe fortes 8/10
what day did you go to gotham's at? wondering if I saw you..
Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #6436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
what day did you go to gotham's at? wondering if I saw you..
monday evening
Old 10-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #6437

Sushi Bar Maumi:
Ordered 22 different kinds of fish. All ranging from good to great. Supposedly imported from Japan daily and in the menu they will tick off which ones they have in stock for the day. Each nigiri ranges from $3.75-4.5 which is okay pricing for good sushi in Van. My bill for 45 pieces of nigiri turned out to be $205 after tips. My only complaint is while the wife is nice, the sushi chef doesn't seem interested in talking to his guests, unstandable since he is making all the sushi, but it takes away from the experience. Taka san is still the bomb for making the experience feel complete so ultimately I am less inclined to come back here and go to Taka's instead for the same price range. I will give this place 9/10.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #6438
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Hida Takayama in Robson Public market.

This place is legit ramen. Noodles made in house and the broth actually leaves a light pork aftertaste and isn't too rich. Miso ramen here is very good. The pork isn't quite barbecued but they give very generous portions. I've also had their sesame ramen which was rich with flavor but the soup wasn't pasty at all.

The service is friendly but it's in a cafeteria environment. It's under 9.50 bucks taxes in for the miso ramen and whether you want to tip or not it's up to you but I generally give a dollar so just over 10 bucks. This place is one of those hidden gems. I'd definitely check it out, the price, quality and quantity is very reasonable.

8.5/10. It'd be a 9/10 if the pork was actually bbq'd a little to give it a deeper flavor.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #6439
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
^ I enjoyed the gyozas there as well.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #6440

Don't really understand the appeal of that place. Tasted very meh to me. But then again, a large ramen and 2 soft boiled eggs at Santouka is like $17 after tips so I guess its like..half the price.

Maenam
Got the chef's menu for $40/person

Appies:
Thai cupcake with dungeness crab. 2 bitesized 'cupcakes' with ginger, lime, peanuts, toasted coconuts. Delicious, but I wish I had 2 more.

Hot and soup with chicken. Not hot, quite tasty, but nothing that screams wow

Steam mussels, again, doesn't wow me.

Mains:

Some beef brisket curry with pineapples, longan, yams. It was supposed to be savory but the fruits were too overpowered and made it super sweet. Didn't like it.

Stir-fry pork belly, amazing, don't remember the exact details of what was it it.

Duck salad: Mint leaves, lemongrass and some dressing.

Dessert:

Hot Coconut tapioca. For those who like the 'sugar water' (or sweet soup), this is so much more amazing than the chinese version which is made with canned coconut milk. You can really taste the fresh young coconut juice that this was made with instead of coconut milk and it had taro, lychee, and lots of coconut. My only gripe was this is too tiny and the usual price is $8 so I can't justify coming for takeout :/

8/10 overall. Good food (food should be 8.5/10), nothing outstanding, can't justify paying $100 for this meal

720 Sweets: The latest thing in Van (although this came out a year ago in hk), milk tea ice cream with expresso jelly and almond cookie in a cup and in a second cup there is some dry ice creating a smokey effect. Lots of lgs there snapchating and ig-ing this thing.
8/10. Nothing too mind blowing.

I was gonna ig my meal and the ice cream when I got home but when I used the garbage can at 720 I saw an entire ice cream thrown out. AN ENTIRE ICE CREAM. Wasted. Yeah thats cool you use food on social to farm for likes, I do too, in fact 95% of my ig is food. But come fucking on, I share pictures of food that I ENJOYED eating, not for the sake of taking a picture. To see an entire serving of food not even touched in the trash made my fucking blood boil.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #6441

Tuc Craft Kitchen

9/10

Chicken and waffles mmmmmmm
Shakashuka which is a vegetarian dish but i much enjoyed mmmmmmmm wuld be better with an extra piece of small toast
Old 10-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #6442

Relish burger. Some chain from Nfld that opened up here? I don't know why they even botheres. The burger couldn't taste anymore generic. Got the cabo diablo which has tomato jalapeno salsa, guacamole, and sour cream and tasted better than a mcd burger.

For $10 4/10
Old 10-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #6443
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,492 Times in 554 Posts
Y Sushi on Edmonds St. - 8/10

I had the choose 3 special for $8.95. Everything was hot and fresh and came relatively quick. The best part was the decor and presentation of the dishes. I was very impressed.

Everything about this place is exponentially better than Sushi Yoi on Rosser Avenue. That place went downhill fast, so I change my rating to 6/10.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #6444
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
Damso for their all you can eat pork belly and another night tried their all you can eat wings.

7/10 for pork belly a tad dry and salty but hey it's AYCE

9/10 for wings crispy, crunchy, salt, fatty, what's not to love.

IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #6445
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUCare View Post
Damso for their all you can eat pork belly and another night tried their all you can eat wings.

7/10 for pork belly a tad dry and salty but hey it's AYCE

9/10 for wings crispy, crunchy, salt, fatty, what's not to love.
Which night is AYCE wings?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #6446
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
i think it's during weekend nights, i went on a saturday.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #6447
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
^^ I checked out their Twitter, it says AYCE Wings Everyday 2-6pm and 9-11pm
604778 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #6448
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Torafuku. 6.5/10.

The aburi sushi was ok
The mussels were not good. They need to get bigger mussels. The mussels they got are the size of a pill. Personally I like the bigger juicier mussels
Calamari was good with the chilli oil on top.
Chicken wings were cooked nicely juicy inside but again the flavour was just ok. Nothing I would go wow gotta come back.

Drink were good, since it was 2$ off Wednesday. But this is a one try restaurant see what the hype is.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #6449
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
^ i actually complained about their mussels too. too bad they didn't do anyhting. I swear that dish will be taken off the list soon. They can't use frozen mussels and has to source it live. but wtf do i know i ain't a restaurant owner.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #6450
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^ i actually complained about their mussels too. too bad they didn't do anyhting. I swear that dish will be taken off the list soon. They can't use frozen mussels and has to source it live. but wtf do i know i ain't a restaurant owner.
I'm surprise they didn't do anything about it, I can see if it was a Chinese restaurant, but this type of place they should have taken it off or got u s different dish. It's how you handle situations like these that put you above all the many restaurants in Vancouver.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote