REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #6576
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
anyone have restaurant ideas for Valentines? fine dining please. thanks
Blue Water Cafe?
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #6577
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Naka Bistro in Langley
The owners are Laos and they have quite a bit thai dishes as well. Reasonable prices and reasonable portions. The only place in the Lower Mainland with Goong Chea Nam Pla (thai raw prawns). The girl who works there (owner's daughter?) was cute as well.

10/10
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #6578
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Cocoru in Richmond
8/10
Korean fried chicken and beer, yum.
Food could come faster but waitresses do come around with complimentary finger food that you can ask for more, while you wait.
turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #6579
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Question, if you had to choose one The Keg location in Vancouver which one would it be and why?

Granville Island
Yaletown
Alberni
Dunsmir

Thx
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:05 PM   #6580
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Neither, find another place...
Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #6581
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Sixteen - Chicago

Recently on a trip to Chicago, I was able to meet up with a friend and have lunch at the 2 Michelin Star restaurant, Sixteen, located in the Trump Towers in downtown Chicago.

The restaurant on the 16th floor of the Trump hotel, and boast a gorgeous dining room with floor to ceiling windows that overlooks lake Michigan, the Chicago River and the Wrigley Clock Tower.

For lunch, both my friend and I decided on the Appie + Meat and Fish dish so 3 courses for $56 which was an incredible value for a 2 Michelin star meal. There was also a 6 course tasting menu, but the dishes did not seem as appealing as the a la carte options.

My friend and I ordered a bottle of wine from the wine list, I forgot the exact bottle, but it was a bottle of Riesling from Alsace France, the wine was approx $150 so likely it was a $30-40 dollar wine at the liquor store.

to start, we were offered a selection of bread, and then the server quickly brought us the Amuse Bouche, it was a corn jelly with smoked salmon, it was light while flavorful, great way to start the meal.

Then the waiter, to our surprise, brought us another dish that was the compliments of the kitchen, it was a beat/citrus salad with tuna. This dish was easily big enough to be considered a full appetizer, so our 3 course meal now became a 4 course meal....again incredible value.

For our starter, I went with the "Roast Medallion of Foie Gras, Onion Marmalade, Endive, Walnut and Fig" which carried a $7 supplement charge which was well worth it, as the portions was very generous with 2 decent pieces of Foie Gras, that was cooked to perfection, so buttery, rich and creamy.

My friend went for the "Golden Saffron Risotto with Rock Shrimp and Yellow Squash Frito" as her starter, and yes there was a piece of gold leaf on her Risotto.

Next up is the fish dish, I went with the "Roasted Maine Lobster Tail with Red Pepper, Fennel and Succulents" which was also $10 extra. I felt the lobster tail was slightly undercooked and could not be compared to the butter poached lobster tail at The French Laundry (3 Michelin Star), or the Curried Lobster tail at The Campton Place in San Francisco (2 Michelin Star).

My friend went with the "Striped Bass with Autumn Vegetables à la Grecque, Brandade, Confit Potato and Cipollini" for her fish dish.

For our meat dishes, I went to the "Roast Duck Breast with Salsify, Braised Red Cabbage, Currant Jus" which was very well done, the Duck beast was perfectly cooked, the skin was crispy and the fat rendered.

My friend decided to go with the "Filet of Beef with Pomme Puree, Brussels Sprouts, Verjus and Bacon" which she thought was under whelming as the steak was actually over cooked and was not quite "Michelin caliber"

At this point we were both quite full, but managed to save room to share a dessert, it was a coconut tapioca dessert with raspberry sorbet and some candied flowers (which was actually very delicious to eat)

Last but not least, the Petit Fours

Overall the experience was a 7/10, the ambiance and service was top notch and is what you'd expect from a 2 Michelin star Restaurant. However in comparison to another 2 Michelin Star restaurant, The Campton Place in San Francisco (which was actually only 1 star when I had lunch there last year), the food fell short. The Campton Place had, in my opinion better food, which the equal level of service.

Price wise, the lunch ended up being just under $300 before taxes and tips, which is not bad considering we had a bottle of wine as well.

The quality of food is certainly better than most lunch venues in Vancouver, such as Market at Shangri-la, or Oru at the Pacific Rim etc.
The overall dining experience also exceeds most high end resturants in Vancouver, such as Hawksworth or Le Crocodile but if we are comparing just food, some of the dishes at Sixteen would actually fall short of some of the finest resturants in Vancouver.

Next up on my foodie adventure is the Signature Tasting Menu at Jean Georges in New York this coming Sunday.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #6582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Question, if you had to choose one The Keg location in Vancouver which one would it be and why?

Granville Island
Yaletown
Alberni
Dunsmir

Thx
yaletown for the patio
and or the private dining room if you have a large party
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #6583
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:

Granville Island
Yaletown
Alberni
Dunsmir

Thx

dunsmir or alberni, probably alberni

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #6584
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:

Granville Island
Yaletown
Alberni
Dunsmir

Thx
They're all the same to me IMO so I would go by parking accessibility
Granville island
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #6585
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
yeah parking is a bitch for the Keg but if i had to choose, the yaletown patio for the win.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #6586

Peckinpah 0/10
Can't find a reason to give it any points

Dry meat. Check
Tiny portions. Check
Overpriced. Check
Shitty sauce. Check
Below average service. Check
Old 01-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #6587
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
Bummer, I used to enjoy it there, but saw it slipping every time.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #6588
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Off the grid waffles 7/10

Don't get california pizza waffle lol even though they say its the most popular item on the menu
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #6589

Mosquito 10/10
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 PM   #6590
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Mosquito 10/10
since you gave it 10/10 can you elaborate ?
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #6591
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
^ Mosquito is a niche market. If you just want dessert at a decent place with it being hidden in gastown, that's where I would go.

decent dessert, smaller portions but it's all good. I popped opened a bottle of bubble and a few dessert and thought it was perfectly reasonable with service as well as food.

Would go back for sure. I mean, other than theirry, bbt / shaved ice place in richmond or sweet revenge, i think Mosquito is not too shabby.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #6592

Compared to Vancouver's vanilla dessert scene, it is just something different. The ambience is great, decor and the food is eye appealing and good service. I had the dark chocolate cremeux which was a cream, mousse, cookie in a cup and the layers and texture that overlap in one bite was just terrifically done. I am limited in explaining what it was specifically because I was too busy indulging in it to think about how to explain this to someone else
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2016, 11:32 PM   #6593
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:

Granville Island
Yaletown
Alberni
Dunsmir

Thx
The Keg at Granville Island 0/10

Went there last Thursday. Ordered from their Dine Out Menu. Got food poison.
Both me & my wife got stomach virus. Required days off on Friday & Saturday.
It was my usual The Keg location frequently visit.
Don't think I will be going back to that location.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #6594
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Ended up at the Yaletown Keg.
5/10.
I ordered the New York in the Dine-Out and my GF went for the Rib Steak from the regular menu.
Both steaks were just "ok", ended up being a little dry and mine was definitely not rare as I always have it. It was closer to medium. She ordered medium rare and we compared steaks, both were identical colour inside, barely pink.
My friends said their prime rib was ok. Ambiance was good, service was good.

Trattoria on W. 4th
6/10
The Calamari was delicious, crispy with some heat.
Pasta was decent but overpriced for $23 a plate.
Couple of my friends ordered from the dine-out menu and they didn't like the entrees of fish and ham at all. Barely touched it.
The Nutella dessert was really good.
The server (looked like Liam Hemsworth) gave us the feeling that he didn't want to be there and was not friendly at all, was barely at our table. We had to flag him down for everything. He never came by with the pepper mill, I had to wave him away from his "chat" with the hostess to order another beer. I asked for a glass for my beer and he's like "oh, *sigh* fine" I guess also knowing that he was gonna automatically include 18% gratuity onto the bill too didn't help.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #6595
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Did Dine Out menu at West last Friday

5/10
I ordered off their Dine Out menu - the Confit Duck Salad + Roasted Beef Flatiron + Apple Cheesecake Galette.

The confit duck salad was actually pretty good, roasted beef was cold and pretty tasteless and really needed the BBQ sauce to give it some flavour. The Apple Cheesecake Galette was pretty good. I guess 2 out of 3 isn't too bad.

Service seemed like they wanted to get us out the door ASAP. They cleared our dishes even though we weren't completely done with them. (I had ordered some foie gras for the table that they brought out with the salad, and they took it away with our salad plates even though there was still 1/4 of it still left!). My expectation would be at least to ask if we were done with it before taking it away. I guess they got to get tables moving, but this clearly isn't the way to do it.

While they were quick to clear our plates, they only came back once to check on our drinks and promptly gave us the check right after dessert was done. By that time, the restaurant was half empty so I don't think there really was a reason to push people out the door.

I expected more from West, but I think this kind of highlights what most people say about DoV and hopefully doesn't reflect how the place really is during non DoV season. I don't think I'd ever come back here during DoV season. Maybe I might try it some other time and hopefully it'll be better.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #6596
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
i dont really get why anyone would wait at all to get into the keg, nor run there for dine out.

Friends of mine tried to go to the Walnut Grove location last week, and the wait was like 2 hours?.. why..
Old 02-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #6597
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Meet on Main (vegan/vegetarian)

Food - 8/10
Service - 10/10 (I think our particular server may have had a lot to do with it)

It's cool for a place to be taking a comfort food approach to vegan/vegetarian food. It's certainly unlike the other options of its type in the city and worth a try if you're interested in the concept.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #6598

Steveston Pizza 9.5/10
Don't ask me to explain it. I don't know what they do or what they put (probably crack), but its fucking delicious
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 AM   #6599
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ what do you order from there? im in steveston like 2/3 times a week so maybe i will give it a try
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 AM   #6600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Steveston Pizza 9.5/10
Don't ask me to explain it. I don't know what they do or what they put (probably crack), but its fucking delicious
Haha agreed..I know it's not authentic Italian pizza but it's still so good
So much topping.

My usual is the Hawaiian, premium grade black Forrest ham and lots of cheese.

Their C pizzas are also good but kind of a splurge.