REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 11-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #14576
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson378 View Post
Anyone take crim 101 with Barry Cartwright or BUS 393? Thing is if I take crim 101, the final falls on April 20th 8:30am, which is the same day as my BUS 393 final, except it's at 7:00pm. Anyone take either of these courses? Will I struggle if the finals are on the same day?
Don't worry, Crim101 with Cartwright is legit GPA booster.
Advertisement
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #14577
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
On a side note, it seems like the whole 4 year for an undergrad is no longer relevant as everyone i know, including myself, seems to be taking 5+
Yeah I'm with you there. I don't think I'll be graduating for another 2 years or so. 3 courses per semester and two more co-op terms? Yeah, 5-6 years seems about right.
areyounoob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #14578
Prove them wrong

Quote:
It's your first semester and you already hate 2 hour lectures then you're gonna have a miserable time for the rest of your degree. All classes after first year are going to be 2 hours and once a week, not 1hr 3x a week like first year classes.

Why don't you take GEOG111 as a GPA booster?

I'd agree with your advisor and wouldn't even waste my time with 100 courses unless you have to. PHYS101 is pretty fundamental stuff and not that difficult. It's very straight forward... vectors, torque, gravity, etc. If you can make it through calculus then I think you have the brain capacity to do it haha.
I've already been use to 2 hour lectures, transferred over from Langara.
But yea I completely understand what you're saying, I guess what I meant to say was that certain courses are more bearable than others.
AuStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #14579
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
On a side note, it seems like the whole 4 year for an undergrad is no longer relevant as everyone i know, including myself, seems to be taking 5+
A business adviser told me this semester: "Taking into account time for co-op, the standard undergraduate degree has become, on average, 5.5 years. Regardless, there's no rush to graduate. Take advantage of your time here and utilize the resources at your disposal. It's only to your benefit if you stay, unless you're postponing some big job.
Shayan4440 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #14580
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
How successful have you guys been with landing coop jobs? If you wouldn't mind just stating what degree you're doing, how far into your degree did you get the position, and what position was it was.

I'm really hoping to get a position for the summer but having pretty low confidence after some missed ones last year.
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #14581
Need my Daily Fix of RS

For some reason, it seems like cmpt students are always on coop so possibly that faculty might be better/easier to get into.
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #14582
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
How successful have you guys been with landing coop jobs? If you wouldn't mind just stating what degree you're doing, how far into your degree did you get the position, and what position was it was.

I'm really hoping to get a position for the summer but having pretty low confidence after some missed ones last year.
Got my 1st coop at end of 3rd yr (90 credits). Business. Got it so late because I was way too picky at the start... only applying to select co-ops that I deemed were relevant and seemed like a good company. It was an accounts payable clerk position at a really small company. I believe the posting was during the 'lightning round' they do at the end of every seeking sem. Not many people applied because the company wasn't well known, the job wasn't the typical co-op job most students shoot for (large renowned company, experience across different teams, etc....) so I lucked out there.

If you don't have prior coop/internship experience, apply for anything even if it is barely related to your field of study..... at least you get professional experience.

Personally I feel like students at SFU take very few courses per semester.... A lot of my friends at UBC who did multiple co-ops still managed to graduate within 5 yrs.

Last edited by zetazeta; 11-19-2014 at 10:54 AM.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #14583
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
Got my 1st coop at end of 3rd yr (90 credits). Business. Got it so late because I was way too picky at the start... only applying to select co-ops that I deemed were relevant and seemed like a good company. It was an accounts payable clerk position at a really small company. I believe the posting was during the 'lightning round' they do at the end of every seeking sem. Not many people applied because the company wasn't well known, the job wasn't the typical co-op job most students shoot for (large renowned company, experience across different teams, etc....) so I lucked out there.

If you don't have prior coop/internship experience, apply for anything even if it is barely related to your field of study..... at least you get professional experience.

Personally I feel like students at SFU take very few courses per semester.... A lot of my friends at UBC who did multiple co-ops still managed to graduate within 5 yrs.
How did your second and third Co ops go? Was it a lot easier getting the positions after having that first Co op experience?
airclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #14584
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

First term in SFU .. happened to get into all of my courses I wanted except one.

How does the waitlist typically work in SFU? I been reading around other forums about overriding by the prof., from where i'm coming from this cannot be done with the system. I'm waitlisted 12, is it pretty much hopeless since most will be choosing to override? Anyone care to share how it works?

Thanks.
Chi_Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #14585
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr33pUh View Post
Seems like I'm the only BPK guy here haha.

If you plan on doing the nutrition certificate, take BPK 111 as it is only offered once a year. I've heard it's quite easy but I haven't taken it.

Never took 105 but this course is the most "kinesiology" course out of all 3. It teaches how organs work and how they affect your body. If you're interested in see what Kinesiology/BPK major is about, then I would take this course.

143 is an okay course if you want to learn basics on exercising. Quite a bit of work but worth it if you want to learn about working out. Leyland is a good prof but he will talk about crossfit a lot

Easy = BPK 140
Memorization heavy = BPK 110
Insight of what Kinesiology is = BPK 105
A course that encompasses everything Kin related = BPK 142
Exercise and its fundamentals = BPK 143

His finals are known to be much more difficult than his quizzes/midterms. Awesome prof though.
How similar is BPK105 to BISC101?

According to the course outline, it seems like BPK105 is only about the different systems of the body, like BISC101/GR12 BIO - is this true?

---

Anyone take BPK143 distance ed? How was it?
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #14586
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Na View Post
First term in SFU .. happened to get into all of my courses I wanted except one.

How does the waitlist typically work in SFU? I been reading around other forums about overriding by the prof., from where i'm coming from this cannot be done with the system. I'm waitlisted 12, is it pretty much hopeless since most will be choosing to override? Anyone care to share how it works?

Thanks.
Is there a lab/tutorial for that course? If so, as long as you get into lab/tutorial, you'll get into the course. Doesn't matter if you're #1 on waitlist for the lecture. You want to get into the lab/tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
One reason is because UBC tends to offer every class all year round vs SFU who sometimes offers a core/required class once or twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
How similar is BPK105 to BISC101?

According to the course outline, it seems like BPK105 is only about the different systems of the body, like BISC101/GR12 BIO - is this true?

---

Anyone take BPK143 distance ed? How was it?
BPK 105 vs BISC 101. They're different courses. Only part that is similar is that they both go over the skeletal system. I took BISC101 5 years ago so they could've changed it over the years. 105 is focused on humans only whereas 101 is more cells, animals, and plants. So essentially, you'll be learning an extension of what you've learned in bio 12 (lungs + heart) and new things (CNS, immune, digestive).
Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #14587

Quote:
Originally Posted by airclimber View Post
How did your second and third Co ops go? Was it a lot easier getting the positions after having that first Co op experience?
Didn't do a 2nd or a 3rd. That co-op was 8 months so I had a few semesters left... the next summer I landed a summer internship on my own (not through co-op) and stayed part time afterwards until I graduated and transitioned to FT afterwards (I'm still there). The internship was in a completely different field of work so I'm taking some online courses and going BCIT in Jan to catch up academically.

I don't really care about the co-op title on my transcript so I didn't bother doing the required 3 or 4 work terms....

It was immensely easier once you have that first co-op. Even if the position and tasks are different its easy to tie in transferable skills to convince the employer that you're either capable or adaptable. It's a lot harder to convince the employer (both on the cover letter and in the interview) that your experience as a sales associate or barista will help you succeed in the co-op job you're applying to.... besides communication skills, there really isn't all that much you can talk about and relate to. Having that first job also provides solid references and gives your future employer reassurance. And lastly... think about competition... even though a job might say 'no prior office/professional experience required', you're probably up against candidates who have done co-op, internships or other related work, which might put you at a disadvantage already.

Last edited by zetazeta; 11-20-2014 at 08:17 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #14588
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Anyone at SFU right now?

How are these courses in terms of how intriguing the material is? Also, how are these courses in terms of difficulty? although, they seem like gpa boosters to me..

Crim 135
Pol 151 with Patrick Smith
Phys 190 with Howard Trottier
IS 101 with Haider Nizamani

^so thats my first plan, but I don't think I'll get into those classes since their almost full
My backup:
Rem 100
Econ 102 with Michael Solyom
Engl 101 with Leith Davis
Phil 120 with David Heide
TheGreatLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #14589

Taking:

Math 155
Econ 105
Bus 237
Stats 270

Any thoughts on the courses? difficulty level? I have a feeling its going to be difficult.

Also, which is the least homework intensive business course?

Debating between 237/272.

Working 20 hours a week on top... Do I still have time for a social life if I want to do well?
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #14590
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr33pUh View Post
BPK 105 vs BISC 101. They're different courses. Only part that is similar is that they both go over the skeletal system. I took BISC101 5 years ago so they could've changed it over the years. 105 is focused on humans only whereas 101 is more cells, animals, and plants. So essentially, you'll be learning an extension of what you've learned in bio 12 (lungs + heart) and new things (CNS, immune, digestive).
Thanks for the insight!

I am actually deciding between BPK 105 and BPK 143 (both distance ed) for next semester, but unsure of which to choose. I am officially transferring out of engineering for BPK after spring so I need the highest achievable grade possible (will be used in GPA average).

I know BPK 105 is considerably harder, but with some background knowledge I thought it may be easier.

Anyone have some info on BPK 143?
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #14591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
Taking:

Math 155
Econ 105
Bus 237
Stats 270

Any thoughts on the courses? difficulty level? I have a feeling its going to be difficult.

Working 20 hours a week on top... Do I still have time for a social life if I want to do well?
237/272 is pure memorization. If you haven't taken calc before 155 is going to be tough. I found 270 really easy, especially if you remember high school combinatorics.

If this is your first or second sem, I would advise against calculus of any kind.

If you have to work 20/hr week, I would drop math 155 unless you're a math wiz.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #14592

Doing math 154 right now, not doing so well, but I attribute that to my lack of effort in the course.

I thought it would be like calculus in high school

Doing fine in all other courses though. (3.0 GPA) < is that even "good"? LOL
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #14593
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Thanks for the insight!

I am actually deciding between BPK 105 and BPK 143 (both distance ed) for next semester, but unsure of which to choose. I am officially transferring out of engineering for BPK after spring so I need the highest achievable grade possible (will be used in GPA average).

I know BPK 105 is considerably harder, but with some background knowledge I thought it may be easier.

Anyone have some info on BPK 143?
Since I haven't taken 105, and I've taken 143 DE, I would assume 143 is easier. It's more straightforward I think.

Quote:
Doing math 154 right now, not doing so well, but I attribute that to my lack of effort in the course.

I thought it would be like calculus in high school

Doing fine in all other courses though. (3.0 GPA) < is that even "good"? LOL
Depends on what your goal is. You planning on going to Med/Grad school? You'll need ~3.5 cgpa end of your degree. But to answer your question, 3.0 is an okay gpa.
Just thinking of graduating? Any gpa is good as long as you meet requirements (usually 2.0 cgpa)
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #14594

Quote:
Taking:

If the curriculum hasn't changed since I took it..... 237 is less intensive for most folks since the group project and individual assignments require much less time and effort than the writing-intensive assignments and group work in 272. Exam wise, both courses are about the same, memorizing a bunch of shit and regurgitating it back out in the form of MC with some short and long answers.

Yes. 20 hrs a week plus 4 or even 5 courses is doable. Don't study a lot, but study right.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #14595
RS Lurker, I don't post!

hey guys, Im planning to take BUS 393 with Robert Adamson
any thoughts on this course? is it hard to memorize cuz im taking bpk 110, fren 120, BUS 343 alongside with this course, I dont just wanna remember too much knowledge and stuff :s
babydiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #14596
I STILL don't get it

BUS 393 involves a lot of memorizing, at least that's what i felt when i took that course. i also took it with robert adamson, but i didn't find it wasn't too difficult. his exams were pretty straightforward, just make sure you know the key terms and concepts
turb0triX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #14597

Anyone at SFU right now?

I asked a week ago what happens if you fail a course. I just wanna clarify. You are required to retake the course the next semester right? Or is it your choice?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #14598
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatLeader View Post
I asked a week ago what happens if you fail a course. I just wanna clarify. You are required to retake the course the next semester right? Or is it your choice?
It's your choice.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #14599

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatLeader View Post
It's your choice.
Thanks! I was worried for a second lol
Old 11-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #14600
ph0
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Which of the eng courses are the easiest? Or any writing courses? I was leaning more towards ENG 102W which is poetry
ph0 is offline   Reply With Quote