REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #651
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I meant the officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
^^

walk across then, so much faster and simpler.
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #652
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I thought CBSA agents don't carry handguns? When did this happen?
I know the plan started quite a few years ago, and Google says it dates back to 2006, with the actual carrying of firearms since 2007. I am under the impression that the CBSA officers at Peace Arch were one of the first/earlier groups to start carrying guns, but I am not 100% certain about that.

But I'm surprised they seem so startled by T4RAWR. After all, T4RAWR was already complying with their orders. Do they really need to make the situation so tense for everyone involved?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #653
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Man, some of you are terrible at this. I haven't gotten taxed or even had my trunk popped in close to 8 years. Full disclosure, I got caught cheating once back in 2005 so thinking that I would be "in the system" for years to come and hassled to oblivion but that just isn't the case. I didn't shop down there for a couple months thinking that that's what would happen but then I gave it a try again and I've been getting stuff shipped to Point Roberts regularly for years to the point where I buy very, very few things here in Canada. Most of it is camera gear, which they can't charge duty on but they can and do tax. I've been truthful most of the time as well. I've driven my black Mazda 3 with REVscene stickers and I've driven a Mercedes E-Class and a Dodge Caravan. No difference at any time.

They are trained to look for signs of nervousness. The more you talk or do things out of the ordinary, the more suspicious you look.

Some tips:

1. Keep your answers short and to the point. Where do I live? Richmond. What am I doing? Picking up a package. What is it? Camera equipment. Don't joke around. I'm naturally very talkative and jokey so I have to turn it down.

2. Follow the street signs. Stop at the fucking stop sign. So many people don't understand that stop sign. Don't gun it to the window. If your car is fucking loud, reign that shit in for 10 seconds. You want to look as boring as possible. Do not change lanes unless one is being unbearably slow.

3. I always try to look as indifferent as possible, like this is routine and I couldn't be bothered to put on a smile for you, asshole border guard. The more bored I look, the more boring they think I am and I couldn't possibly be a terrorist. Of course, that doesn't mean look stiff. I put on the same face if I had to watch cricket or baseball or sit through a Celine Dion concert.

4. This might sound racist but if you don't speak absolutely fucking perfect English, learn. They racial profile like crazy...not because they're being racist but there are plenty of Asians that go down, pick shit up and don't know the rules. It happens a lot.

5. In the event that you do decide you don't want to be entirely honest, DECLARE SOMETHING. Don't go and say you didn't pick anything up. That's all Point Roberts is for...picking shit up. Not picking anything up looks suspicious as hell. So tack on a $25 purchase that "you could only find in the States" and fill up the tank, buy some chocolate milk.

And I've gotten that middle aged Asian guy many times. He's never hassled me. The younger Asian dude checked out the waterproof hardcase trunk I bought to house my camera gear for a bit...not because he wanted to tax me but because he wanted to see how many of his handguns he could store inside and thanked me for letting him know where he could find it for $50 off.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #654
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
^ completely agree

I've been going down to Point Roberts nearly every week for the past two years and I haven't gotten taxed once. Just be honest and don't try to lie or make up any stories. When they ask if you have anything to declare, just tell them straight up. Tell them what you bought, and how much it was. They may tell you to pop open the trunk, but they just want to see if you will sketch out and get nervous.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #655
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It's not about being terrible or good...not entirely anyways.

It also depends on HOW MUCH and WHAT you are bringing back. You bring back $1000 vs. $100, yeah, odds are you will get pulled in to pay tax/duty. You bring back knives, batons, or things that can be used as weapons, yeah, odds are you will be given a harder time and investigated more closely than if you were bringing back camera gear.

T4RAWR: sucks you got such a hard time, but looking at it from an outside perspective, they are just doing their job and given the circumstance, I would have expected them to give you a more difficult time than somebody bringing back tires or camera gear. Their just trying to keep the border safe. Also the fact that you could eye out what guns they were carrying while still in their holster... were you looking for possible exit points as well once you entered the CBSA building?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #656
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
lol,

its funny how gun owners get treated like criminals considering you have to have a clean record in order to be a legal gun owner

@ronin; i declare absolutely everything, every single time no matter how high or low the value, i even declare the amount of gas i put in and keep the receipts for the parcel pick up to show the CBSA agents.

@UFO; i suppose, nothing wrong with knowing stuff about guns honestly, if its a one time deal thats fine with me, i understand that they're trying to do their "job" and trying to keep canada safe and all that. where i do have a problem is the fact that i have been subjected to inspection every single time after that incident which is the annoying part. sometimes i just go down for gas and still get searched for weapons and firearms if i run into that chinese dude with glasses lol. hence why i dont go anymore.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #657
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyaccord View Post
the black guy is awesome, encountered him twice only.

Him: What are you doing down here?
Me: Picking up a couple of packages
Him: Is that your wife?
Me: No, just my gf
Him: why aren't you married?
me: cause housing prices are too high in vancouver, you know
Him: yeah you are right, next time you come back make sure shes your wife ok?
me: lol alright.
had the exact same conversation with him

For me I haven't been taxed when I bring $400 or less back. The one time I was about to get taxed, I was bringing sports equipment for my softball team. For some reason they let me go after I told them that.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #658
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
maybe i should switch back to PR...blaine keeps taxing me on anything over 200$ lol must be cus im nexus ..

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #659
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
maybe i should switch back to PR...blaine keeps taxing me on anything over 200$ lol must be cus im heatscore ..
fixed

Spoiler!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #660
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
nvm

Last edited by J.C; 07-24-2013 at 02:21 AM.
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #661
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Same as with most of you, I only consistently get sent inside to pay tax/duty by the middle-aged Asian man with glasses. Even for items of lower value, I'm delighted and shocked when he just hands me my driver's license and waves me through.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #662
UFO

I've not had any issues with the Asian guy with glasses. Last week I got waived through for $500, nice $60 bonus I was expecting to pay for tax ended up paying for my tank of gas
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #663
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
what's the procedure if you get taxed?
do you just go through and park at the building and go inside?
do they take debit?
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #664

If you get taxed they'll give you a yellow slip of paper. Park your car and go into the building to pay. I've always paid by Visa so I don't see why they wouldn't take debit as well. They may also ask to search your car if they think you're sketch.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #665
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Does anyone know if PR Shell will still receive a package if my friend uses her own name but its under my customer number?
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #666
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Every single time I cross the border, the guards ask me about my window curtains and compliments them

Black border guard 2 days ago: "What are the curtains for? Don't go midnight mugging" LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #667
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post
Does anyone know if PR Shell will still receive a package if my friend uses her own name but its under my customer number?
Why bother? get your friend to set up a new account. If she wants to send it there, and have you pick it up for her, all she needs to do is send them an email saying you'll be coming by.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #668
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
maybe i should switch back to PR...blaine keeps taxing me on anything over 200$ lol must be cus im nexus ..
I got waved through with a $800 package, only myself, on nexus
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #669
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I got waved through with a $800 package, only myself, on nexus
Lucky you. Got taxed on a $650 pickup on a busy day coming back into Canada too from Blaine.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #670
HELP ME PLS!!!

Offtopic: Holy shit, I didn't realize that I started this thread 5 years ago, and still going strong.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #671
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
Lol I bring back like $800 worth off stuff all the time and have never been taxed because I always e declare everything. I just saw this thread now and I'm wondering if I was lucky every single Time
Posted via RS Mobile
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #672
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i sent something to the letter carrier and its ready to be picked up. i remember reading on their website that i can arrange to have someone else pick it up for me but that info appears to be gone now that they have changed their website layout.

does anyone know what my friend will need to bring in order for him to help me pick up my parcel at the letter carrier? i called and emailed them but still have not heard back from TLC themselves.
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #673
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMarko View Post
i sent something to the letter carrier and its ready to be picked up. i remember reading on their website that i can arrange to have someone else pick it up for me but that info appears to be gone now that they have changed their website layout.

does anyone know what my friend will need to bring in order for him to help me pick up my parcel at the letter carrier? i called and emailed them but still have not heard back from TLC themselves.
If they took the info about having someone else pickup your parcel, maybe they do not allow it anymore.

The rule before was for your friend to have a photocopy of your driver's license.

Best to try and keep calling them to make sure you can still do that.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #674
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

said friend is going to point roberts to pick up his own stuff anyway. i'll give him the receipt, tracking number and a photocopy of my ID. if it works it works, if not i guess i'll go on my own. i'll continue to try to call until then hopefully they will respond eventually. thanks!
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #675
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMarko View Post
said friend is going to point roberts to pick up his own stuff anyway. i'll give him the receipt, tracking number and a photocopy of my ID. if it works it works, if not i guess i'll go on my own. i'll continue to try to call until then hopefully they will respond eventually. thanks!
^You should be alright. I picked up stuff for my gf last month just with her tracking number and her receipt.
dvdjels is offline   Reply With Quote