REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #601
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
I'll check tonight how much mcdonalds gets the syrup for
Advertisement

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #602
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
I've worked in kitchens for about 10 years now, ranging from chains to small fine dining restaurants. I'll tell you this. It is VERY unlikely that someone will fuck with your food. In these 10 years I have never seen it happen once. The general rule is if food hits the ground, and its a fruit or veg, and it hasn't been processed yet (cut, blanched, peeled, etc) it gets picked up and washed, which is certainly reasonable and safe. Anything other than that touches the ground, you can be sure it ends up in the garbage. Anyone who tells you that somewhere like earls is fucking with peoples food, is probably just a disgruntled asshole. Managers of places like that make LOTS of money for doing very little, and wouldn't risk losing that to be "funny" by busting a nut in someones food.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #603
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
20L for 24.xx
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #604
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
working for a gold mining company....2 helicopters crashed in under 3 weeks & the company CEO told us to keep our mouths shut.....No news report ever caught this & work buddy's taken pictures of Metal just laying all over the f*ckin' place.....No one died,but Back injurys did happen to the pilot.

word of advice
.....if you ever ride in a helicopter,DO not sit in front for the view,because the passenger side was completely crushed in hitting the pilot seat.....the blades will spin for a few seconds then it'll drop like a rock if there's any engine trouble
Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #605
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

at the PNE's fish n chips stands:
-cod isn't really actually cod... it's a similar tasting fish that's A LOT cheaper (can't remember name).
-fries are soaked in spud wide (preservative) it may be freshly cut, but after it's dumped into a barrel of that.
-most cooks are around the age of 11-15, and do not know when meat is properly cooked all the way through (burgers).
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #606
PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I've worked in kitchens for about 10 years now, ranging from chains to small fine dining restaurants. I'll tell you this. It is VERY unlikely that someone will fuck with your food. In these 10 years I have never seen it happen once. The general rule is if food hits the ground, and its a fruit or veg, and it hasn't been processed yet (cut, blanched, peeled, etc) it gets picked up and washed, which is certainly reasonable and safe. Anything other than that touches the ground, you can be sure it ends up in the garbage. Anyone who tells you that somewhere like earls is fucking with peoples food, is probably just a disgruntled asshole. Managers of places like that make LOTS of money for doing very little, and wouldn't risk losing that to be "funny" by busting a nut in someones food.
Just had a conversation with my friend who works at cactus @ Scott road
She said she gets cocky asshole poser drug dealer whatever fucks all the time. But no matter how rude these ppl are they never spit in customer's food or they'll get fired.
My parents own a business in food industry as well. I hate helping out there & sometimes I get dumb bitches but I never spat in anyone's food nor allowed other coworkers to do so.
So I guess it really depends. I know spitting in food does happen (eg. My friend who worked at The Keg on 5 road told me younger ones did). But like you said I think it is pretty rare.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #607
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about people intentionally messing with your food. What does concern me however, are facepalmable actions people do.

For ex, I started working years ago at a restaurant in West Van that was highly respected by the rich locals.

Things I remember:

The dishwasher would fill in as dessert maker when it got really busy. And he wouldn't remove his rubber dishwashing glove (also the same glove he uses at night to throw the days worth of garbage away). That's right .. He would plate your dessert with it.

- first week on the job. I clear a table which I vaguely remember ate an expensive cut of meat, or some type of special order. I dump the food as per usual in the garbage placed underneath the sink. Floor manager comes in, and was like 'damn they wanted that packed up and to go'.. So what does he do? That's right, digs it out of there and neatly packs it for the client.

- once we dropped a full baked roast on the floor when moving it from the oven to the platter. Also, again, happens to fall right near the dirty area beside a garbage can. Some small laughter and banter about '5 second rule' and off to the wedding party it goes

Its the carelesness of staff that should be everyones concerns. I also have 'intentional' stories from the same place as well.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #608
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about people intentionally messing with your food. What does concern me however, are facepalmable actions people do.

For ex, I started working years ago at a restaurant in West Van that was highly respected by the rich locals.

Things I remember:

The dishwasher would fill in as dessert maker when it got really busy. And he wouldn't remove his rubber dishwashing glove (also the same glove he uses at night to throw the days worth of garbage away). That's right .. He would plate your dessert with it.
Lol my position 3 or 4 years ago was dishwasher/food prep and I'd be chopping vegetables or making desserts like banana bread, while the dish machine was going and turned back and forth. I never wore gloves though, just a lot of hand washing. This was at a much smaller restaurant though, not any of these huge chains.

I remember one time one of the line cooks was getting off and threw his crocs or birkenstocks (?) in the dishwasher... I was just like wtfbbq so I took them out and shut down the dishwasher and took it apart to clean... you throw something like that into the dishwasher and it'll end up regurgitating the gravel onto your plates...

Last edited by ilvtofu; 08-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #609
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
you're seeing it all wrong.

they don't give it to charities/homeless because of liability reasons. if they throw it out there is 0% chance of being sued, if they give it all away to charitiy and somewhere between walmart and a hungry person something goes wrong and teh end user gets ill, walmart's getting sued

so don't blame walmart, blame the d-b lawyers, laws, and judges that would allow you to sue for receiving something for free that then potentially makes you ill (assuming not expired) - and i don't think a waiver protects walmart from this either - really, the government should step in here, receive the donations with full inspection staff and 100% lack of liability for the donating party, but that's huge expense & redundancy (government by definition) - and then the government will end up getting sued

i totally agree, though, this is a real shame, but its the sad world we live in, the greedy few that want to sue instead of work ruin it for the rest of us
I understand that it saves their asses, however, in my city, someone set fire to the food bank's storage area, and about 70% of the food they had was gone. Now, that's shitty enough, but my Walmart was going to donate this "not quite expired food" to that food bank, so long as it wasn't opened, crushed, etc.

It's kind of a controversial topic, as yes, it could potentially make someone ill the next day or so, but by expiry, it's still good. Either way, I've just been noticing Walmart is wasteful of food all the time.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #610
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Could have sworn I would have got some Yogen Fruz intel when I saw the above username reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #611
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Nobody said they fuck with people's food intentionally. Most of the time they did it because they made a mistake and they take shortcuts to prevent serving the food late.
Also, managers don't get paid lots for doing very little. Unless you meant the head chef then I agree. Otherwise, junior manager or sous chefs make peanuts and work like dogs.
The reason why they picked up the steak and reused it is not because they are trying to be funny but because they had to keep the food cost low if not they are gonna get in shit at the end of the month.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #612
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Worked for a couple restaurant chains and can gladly say that I've never seen anyone spit or reuse food that's been on the floor, but one thing to take note of is that alot of the fruits and vegetables don't get washed after their delivered to the restaurants and are usually still covered in pesticides or dust/dirt from when it was transported.
beanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #613

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogenfruz View Post
I understand that it saves their asses, however, in my city, someone set fire to the food bank's storage area, and about 70% of the food they had was gone. Now, that's shitty enough, but my Walmart was going to donate this "not quite expired food" to that food bank, so long as it wasn't opened, crushed, etc.

It's kind of a controversial topic, as yes, it could potentially make someone ill the next day or so, but by expiry, it's still good. Either way, I've just been noticing Walmart is wasteful of food all the time.
Can't quite comprehend what ur saying, what is walmart doing in kamloops?

They really don't have to do anything - and really, it's the good for nothing scum who look to sue who are causing problems, not corporations (in this case)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
Nobody said they fuck with people's food intentionally. Most of the time they did it because they made a mistake and they take shortcuts to prevent serving the food late.
Also, managers don't get paid lots for doing very little. Unless you meant the head chef then I agree. Otherwise, junior manager or sous chefs make peanuts and work like dogs.
The reason why they picked up the steak and reused it is not because they are trying to be funny but because they had to keep the food cost low if not they are gonna get in shit at the end of the month.
This was posted a ways back.
"Earls on Broadway and Fir.. Most ridiculous place I've ever worked. People's behavior made me sick. Don't eat at this one. Just.. don't. Ever.
Every time a customer had any honest simple request - for a different spoon because theirs was dirty, or to heat up their soup a little more.. they will mess with your food. I've even seen managers do it and laugh with the workers. Given this was maybe about 4 years since I've worked there, so maybe things have changed. But I still sure as hell am never going back there. If you're ever forced to go there for a party or something alike, just be as kind as possible, and don't ever send food back. Even a wrong look at a waiter can get you some sort of body fluid in your food. Oh, and keep your receipts and match your credit card statements too. They'll change your tip amount. (Not sure if they switched to the wireless card machine now.)"

And when I say manager, I mean general manager. They get paid lots for chains and don't do shit. Same with kitchen managers. (calling them chefs I consider ridiculous) Your post kinda comes across like you think I was speaking about something specific that you may have said, but thats not the case, I was referring to the post that is in quotation marks.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #615
I came, I saw, I conquered.

^Oh I thought you were refering to my post. My mistake.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #616

Word, the post that I put in quotations albeit from forever ago I felt I had to address, because it really irked me. But yeah I know what you mean that sometimes food would go out due to a food cost aspect that shouldn't really. The kitchen I work in right now though is very professional and anyone who did that would be verbally raped and fired.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #617

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
You'd be amazed at the amount of oil spills that go on unreported. Pipeline bursts or failures. It's the ones that spill by water that seem to get the media coverage.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #618
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
When you build a house. Figure out what you want and make 100% sure and make sure that the people you hire are on the same page as you. You have no idea how much money just gets wasted by complete flakes who don't know what they want.

Same thing goes with designers. Most of them are flakes. You hire them and many of them will want to put it in, take it out, put it in, take it out. Who pays for this shit? The home owner obviously.

Some people just have too much money and some people just don't know what they're buying.

I'm just a employee. So I'll get paid either way, but really if you want something done right why not doing right the first time?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #619
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
When you build a house. Figure out what you want and make 100% sure and make sure that the people you hire are on the same page as you. You have no idea how much money just gets wasted by complete flakes who don't know what they want.

Same thing goes with designers. Most of them are flakes. You hire them and many of them will want to put it in, take it out, put it in, take it out. Who pays for this shit? The home owner obviously.

Some people just have too much money and some people just don't know what they're buying.

I'm just a employee. So I'll get paid either way, but really if you want something done right why not doing right the first time?
make it nice not twice
Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #620
N8
I STILL don't get it

Worked at Church's Chicken for a summer job just outta high school.

One time they ordered too high of a leg/thiegh to wing ratio, and ended up with wayyy to many leg/thieghs by the end of the week. I went to get some from the fridge to fry em up, and lifted up the plastic covering the tubs of chicken and it smelled terrible, like dead bodies. Upon closer inspection, the chicken was discoloured as well, dark grey and redish.

I told the manager, and they shrugged it off and told me to cook it for 5 more minutes. I proceeded to bread and fry them, and gagged from the smell a few times and got more disgusted as I went along. Wish I had more ballz at the time to tell people ordering that crap. Ended up quitting a few days later I was so off put by it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #621
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

^nasty... I would imagine a lot of people got sick
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #622
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
^ gross but still going to eat it.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #623
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
When I worked at NY Fries at Famous Players Guildford one day were were bored and we started deep frying random stuff including a shoe lol
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #624
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 View Post
Worked at Church's Chicken for a summer job just outta high school.

One time they ordered too high of a leg/thiegh to wing ratio, and ended up with wayyy to many leg/thieghs by the end of the week. I went to get some from the fridge to fry em up, and lifted up the plastic covering the tubs of chicken and it smelled terrible, like dead bodies. Upon closer inspection, the chicken was discoloured as well, dark grey and redish.

I told the manager, and they shrugged it off and told me to cook it for 5 more minutes. I proceeded to bread and fry them, and gagged from the smell a few times and got more disgusted as I went along. Wish I had more ballz at the time to tell people ordering that crap. Ended up quitting a few days later I was so off put by it.
Which location?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #625
N8
I STILL don't get it

That would be @ Vic & 49th. Not sure if management has changed since then, but keep in mind it was a long time ago (8 years) and I do hope they have better standards now.