REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Reveal a secret about your work others may not know about (https://www.revscene.net/forums/544493-reveal-secret-about-your-work-others-may-not-know-about.html)

ray666 09-02-2008 09:12 AM

Reveal a secret about your work others may not know about

Like the titles states, tell us something about your work/profession other people may not know about.

PS. Don't tell us anything that will get you arrested/fired. LOL

Here's mine:

Best Buy:
-Markup on most cables is well in excess of 1000%. The more common the cable, the higher the price. USB cables priced at $29.99 to $34.99 cost between $1 and $2.
-Store associates get NO commision but managers and supervisors get bonuses based on sales performance so they ride the salespeople until they are miserable and lifeless.
-They have a theoretical bonus pay for all employees if the store loses less money due to theft in a calander year, but this is largely phantom, as there are many technicalities to disqualify the store from getting the bonus. Managers tout this bonus as a major reason for being employed there because they have a hard time getting decent staff because employees are treated so poorly and pay is low.
-Service plans are a major profit item for the company and cost far more than any extended service offered by the manufacturer of the product. Stores are ranked on this and it figures into bonus payouts.
-Stores are ranked on financing, and this is also figured into manager bonuses.

-The windows and end aisles displays of our store are rented out. For example, if you're at a store and at the end of the aisle they're featuring some new Xbox 360, it's because Microsoft is paying for that shelf space. Essentially any space in the store is available for sale.

When area reps (i.e. Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, etc.) visit stores, they move all their own products to the most visible area on the shelves. Then when another rep comes in they'll move the competitors' products and replace it with their company's and on and on with every rep.

TOPEC 09-02-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray666 (Post 6012199)
-Markup on most cables is well in excess of 1000%. The more common the cable, the higher the price. USB cables priced at $29.99 to $34.99 cost between $1 and $2.

know this one
Quote:

-They have a theoretical bonus pay for all employees if the store loses less money due to theft in a calander year, but this is largely phantom, as there are many technicalities to disqualify the store from getting the bonus. Managers tout this bonus as a major reason for being employed there because they have a hard time getting decent staff because employees are treated so poorly and pay is low.

somewhat heard about this one
Quote:

-Service plans are a major profit item for the company and cost far more than any extended service offered by the manufacturer of the product. Stores are ranked on this and it figures into bonus payouts.

know this one
Quote:

-The windows and end aisles displays of our store are rented out. For example, if you're at a store and at the end of the aisle they're featuring some new Xbox 360, it's because Microsoft is paying for that shelf space. Essentially any space in the store is available for sale.

When area reps (i.e. Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, etc.) visit stores, they move all their own products to the most visible area on the shelves. Then when another rep comes in they'll move the competitors' products and replace it with their company's and on and on with every rep.

these 2 r interesting... didn't know abt it...

Gridlock 09-02-2008 09:51 AM

Hmm...my company has no secrets(yet), but from old jobs.

Wal-mart, a company dead set against unions in any way shape or form run all of their freight for Canada through a unionized warehouse right here in Vancouver.

Managers at subway that were owned by the franchised owner I worked for years ago were under so much pressure to maintain food cost that they would change the dates on product to avoid throwing it out. Seafood mix? You can be sure that its not fresh. It doesn't move fast enough.

Mr. Lube actually doesn't have a training program. I know. Shocking. Watched one kid send two cars out without oil. None. Hated that place and led a fight against management at that place.

Good thread idea!

Shun Izaki 09-02-2008 09:52 AM

My company likes to jew workers on pay ;)

Culture_Vulture 09-02-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 6012249)
Managers at subway that were owned by the franchised owner I worked for years ago were under so much pressure to maintain food cost that they would change the dates on product to avoid throwing it out. Seafood mix? You can be sure that its not fresh. It doesn't move fast enough.

No kidding? Subway? Wow.

The price you get your sneakers retail is about 4 times the expenses the company takes to manufacture and ship to the destination.

good thread idea ray666 :thumbsup:

hotjoint 09-02-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.201314% (Post 6012252)
My company likes to jew workers on pay ;)

I think this would be common for most work places :)

Inaii 09-02-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 6012249)

Knew that one.

We're not allowed to leave the building on our breaks, but the door staff does anyway.

CanadaGoose 09-02-2008 11:15 AM

Hmm can't really say anything about my current job now cause I went to school for it and I have certified U.S. military/controlled goods clearance. Lots of shocking things though, I can't believe it.

Synarchist 09-02-2008 12:17 PM

Jiffy Lube - no one there has any formal training, but they real good at whatever they do, just watch for the new guys, the ones kinda slow and not sure what they doing. LOL. stay away from their tranny flushes, the machines run at extra high pressure thus causing leaks from the tranny pan over a short time like a month or so, then you go back and they will tell you that you need to get the tranny pan gasket done costing extra $$$. other than that a good place to get oil changes and basic services done.

Kagemusha 09-02-2008 12:55 PM

Didn't any of you guys ever sign a waiver pleding that you woulnd't reveal inside company information during and after your employment?

With that aside. Don't eat at Cloud 9 Restaurant. Trust me. Don't ever eat there.

Shead 09-02-2008 01:43 PM

this thread is full of win!!!

murd0c 09-02-2008 01:48 PM

majour oil (chevron,esso etc) have to spend millions of dollars every year or else it looks like they make 2 much profit to the general public. They will go out change signs and basicly toss money into the garbage just because they can.

SpoonWork 09-02-2008 01:59 PM

In Richmond at least, the basic employees are richer than the high class employees. How often do you see a sales rep driving a Porsche Cayenne S to work while the manager drives a corolla? The fobs have big family incomes, while the manager works his way up alone.

EndLeSS8 09-02-2008 02:03 PM

Try not to order the Mango Pudding from Sun Siu Wah

SolidPenguin 09-02-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Well...the Best Buy i worked at got that payout. We all got a percentage of that in a few of our paycheques. Wasn't a large amount, but it wasnt bad.

Oh and for the Company reps coming in (Sony, HP, Samsung etc) put up their displays only when they're actually there. When they leave for the day they take down whatever displays they have. Unless they're there for like a week, but once they go, they take everything with them.

Razor Ramon HG 09-02-2008 02:05 PM

At Superstore, everyone gets a raise at the end of August for "cost of living" or something like that. You get a raise every 500 hours, and if your 500 hours are up around that time, you only get the cost of living raise.

SkunkWorks 09-02-2008 02:07 PM

Don't try the soup today. Unless you like that extra masculine taste.

kawloonprince 09-02-2008 02:08 PM

Enterprise Rent a Car

1.) Weekend Special - Based on the fact that the branch is measured by occupancy, they will let their cars go cheap in the low season if they still have a lot of cars on the lot.
2.) 90% of the time they don't wash your car.
3.) Deductable Waiver - Rip off, always use credit car insurance if you can apply for it.
4.) Never pick up the car at the airport. Go to a local branch.
5.) If you complain about anything, tell them about how head office called to see if you were completely satisfied with your rental from last time, you will get freebies.
6.) Most people know this already, but if you walk in without a reservation, you are getting raped.
7.) If you book a large size SUV, there is a 50% chance that you will not get it, especially during summertime.
8.) If you look hard enough, there might be items such as sex toys, drugs, ipods, and cellphones in the car.

Noir 09-02-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawloonprince (Post 6012595)
Enterprise Rent a Car

1.) Weekend Special - Based on the fact that the branch is measured by occupancy, they will let their cars go cheap in the low season if they still have a lot of cars on the lot.
2.) 90% of the time they don't wash your car.
3.) Deductable Waiver - Rip off, always use credit car insurance if you can apply for it.
4.) Never pick up the car at the airport. Go to a local branch.
5.) If you complain about anything, tell then about how head office called to see if you were completely satisfied with your rental from last time, you will get freebies.
6.) Most people know this already, but if you walk in without a reservation, you are getting raped.
7.) If you book a large size SUV, there is a 50% chance that you will not get it, especially during summertime.
8.) If you look hard enough, there might be items such as sex toys, drugs, ipods, and cellphones in the car.

Is it true that that if you return a car dirty, they will charge you additional for clean up costs?

And if so, where do they draw the line between acceptable & dirty? Like say, returning a rental car from camping dirty? Is it better to wash the rental car after camping before returning it? Or will their washboys just take care of it.

kawloonprince 09-02-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 6012600)
Is it true that that if you return a car dirty, they will charge you additional for clean up costs?

And if so, where do they draw the line between acceptable & dirty? Like say, returning a rental car from camping dirty? Is it better to wash the rental car after camping before returning it? Or will their washboys just take care of it.

No, they barely charge you unless you hotboxed in the car, or you had a pet in the car that left hair, or smell.

SumAznGuy 09-02-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 6012565)
majour oil (chevron,esso etc) have to spend millions of dollars every year or else it looks like they make 2 much profit to the general public. They will go out change signs and basicly toss money into the garbage just because they can.

I think most of us here on RS already knew that.
Hmmm. It's $1.45.0 for regular gasoline, oh no wait. It's $1.39.9 now. Oh wait. Too late, back to $1.45.0.

Jason00S2000 09-02-2008 02:38 PM

90% of the time, anyone trying to sell you advertising space on the internet is trying to rip you off.

Shead 09-02-2008 02:42 PM

Burrard street shabusen's buffet is a big no no....

SumAznGuy 09-02-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard (Post 6012591)
At Superstore, everyone gets a raise at the end of August for "cost of living" or something like that. You get a raise every 500 hours, and if your 500 hours are up around that time, you only get the cost of living raise.

That is not true. The employees are all unionized and work under the collective agreement. The employee's 2% cost of living increase falls under a seperate catagory from the 501+ hours worked raise.

fuhkyu 09-02-2008 03:38 PM

Why is Cloud 9 a no no?

Don't buy a car from Westcoast Auto Group, let's just say when I worked there I taught lot boys to drive stick on their cars..