REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #576
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
Seeing all these Mcd's stories, are you guys aware that you can always ask for a fresh food and they will oblige?

It works for mostly everything.. fries, burger paddies, chicken nuggets, crispy chicken, etc. If you're paying a premium for something at Mcd's, you might as well wait and get your money's worth for something fresh. IIRC, things like nuggets take 4m45s to fry. Burgers are super quick, like 45 seconds for a cheese burger size paddy.

sorry to say, when its super busy, or graveyard, 10 - 20 min food becomes "fresh", but during the day time, when you ask for it... odds are it'll be fresh off the vat..

also depends on location, companies are more willing to do this than franchises

not a secret at all from mcdonalds but.... we don't change the oil as often as we should, we probably change it only every 12 - 15 days on average...and this is from one of the busier mcdonalds in bc
i have access to our database and we make a significant amount of shortening because we don't change it

nuggets cook for 3:35
crispy chicken 4:55
cheeseburger / reg patty 38/39sec
Advertisement

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #577
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,273 Times in 1,631 Posts
oh i know about the oil thing

before the change to vegetable oil, the beef oil was used until it was pitch black. after that though, it seemed like every other night it would be changed. i used to work until 3am (before the whole 24hrs thing).
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #578
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Recently:

the chief scientific officer of a small local biotech company made ~$90,000. PhD.

one level below him, PhD grads, senior scientists RND, made ~$50,000.

a level below them, lab techs with BSc or MSc, made ~$40,000 yearly.

Starting to get PhDs and MScs looking for jobs that pay less than BScs used to get.

Back in the day:

When I worked at superstore, I found a dead mouse in a box of towels. The manager discarded the one towel the mouse was in, and the rest of the box went out to the shelves.
Teknique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #579
RabidMod

Thanked 1,098 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
Recently:

the chief scientific officer of a small local biotech company made ~$90,000. PhD.

one level below him, PhD grads, senior scientists RND, made ~$50,000.

a level below them, lab techs with BSc or MSc, made ~$40,000 yearly.

Starting to get PhDs and MScs looking for jobs that pay less than BScs used to get.
That's awful lol. Is this typical in biotech? Sounds like a horrible industry to get into.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #580
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
^It may be the "correct" way, but I don't think it's the "right" way.

Makes perfect sense business, and pending lawsuits and all that, but at the end of the day food is being thrown out while people go hungry.

There is a middle ground that people/corporates are too lazy/greedy to figure out.
How about this...

I used to work for a warehouse in Port Kells that distributed, among other things, Grimms and Schneiders meat products. When we came across moldy pepperoni sticks, we would send them back to the manufacturer, where they were given a chemical bath and mixed back in with the next batch.

Right before I left, we received a shipment of beef jerky that wasn't due to expire for another 40 years. Something isn't right when there's that much chemicals in it...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #581
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

In richmond superstore when we scan a barcode to check stock/theft/lost items we would have to write a report to headoffice in toronto. We had daily numbers we had to hit and i was trained to lie about them anytime we didnt hit the right figures just so head office doesnt give a shit storm to the managers. to this day still the worse work environment ive been in.'

Also noticed that the higher level the management, the bigger dicks they were to lower levels. I hated the lot of them and my department was completely useless but for some reason they still kept the dept. Any day there would only be 1 person working in my dept.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #582
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've always wondered what the retail price for a bag of Coke syrup is. Not how much it costs for Coca Cola to manufacture/produce, but how much your average restaurant buys it for. Anybody know?
my price is 41.00 +hst for a 50L thing of syrup
Old 08-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #583
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
41 for a 50L of syrup? that is freaking cheap.. I know some places get 20L for 41ish and they already get a big discount on it. I think retail was around 92 for a 20L a couple years ago.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #584
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
And how much actual coke would that make?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #585
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
depends on the ratio water and co2, my guess is around 200l?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #586
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I had a buddy who worked as a.night janitor for.mcds .he used to grab the burger buns out of the dry storage and rub it.around the toilet seat and put it back in the plastic so it can be served to.customers. pretty fuxked up
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #587
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
I had a buddy who worked as a.night janitor for.mcds .he used to grab the burger buns out of the dry storage and rub it.around the toilet seat and put it back in the plastic so it can be served to.customers. pretty fuxked up
Your buddy is a loser.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #588
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rrrr View Post
And after he told you that you stopped being buddies right?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #589
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
41 for a 50L of syrup? that is freaking cheap.. I know some places get 20L for 41ish and they already get a big discount on it. I think retail was around 92 for a 20L a couple years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Quote:
depends on the ratio water and co2, my guess is around 200l?
Cho: 1) $41 + hst for 50L of syrup = 200L of Coke
Coren: 2) $41 + hst for 20L of syrup = .....around 80litres?

If restaurants get them at $41 + HST for 50L, that would be cheap.
But at $41 for only 20L of syrup making 80 litres....wouldn't restaurants be better off at buying $0.99 2L bottles? Only advantage is you wouldn't have to finish the whole bottle at end of each day.

Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #590
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
And after he told you that you stopped being buddies right?
I doubt it.The same birds of a feather always flock together.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #591
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
In richmond superstore when we scan a barcode to check stock/theft/lost items we would have to write a report to headoffice in toronto. We had daily numbers we had to hit and i was trained to lie about them anytime we didnt hit the right figures just so head office doesnt give a shit storm to the managers. to this day still the worse work environment ive been in.'

Also noticed that the higher level the management, the bigger dicks they were to lower levels. I hated the lot of them and my department was completely useless but for some reason they still kept the dept. Any day there would only be 1 person working in my dept.
I worked there when I got out of highschool. I remember they'd have you work OT all the time and then short you for it. When you would complain they'd tell you they'd put it on next check, next check would be fucked up and so on. I was told by someone it was all due to them not wanting to go over the budgeted hours so basically they would just screw everybody over on payday. I only worked there for 7 months but I never had a paycheck that was correct.

I'd never let an employer get away with that now wish I had more balls when I younger.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #592
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Interesting thing I learned:

Fibre wires accidentally cut (usually from construction) that runs in the core network (ie. not to your house, but within AT&T or w/e) 99.99999% (I believe 4 9's translate to 5 second downtime in a year... so figure what 5 9's translate to) of the time does not result in any drop packets (information), so you won't notice anything at all
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #593
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
^It's called redundancy.

Some major backbones may be an exception, but in general, redundancy in networking is no big news.

Cut through the wrong link and you'll definitely notice it. Some of you may remember when some dips were working along Kingsway a year or 2 back, accidentally cut through a major underground Telus line, and knocked out service for a ton of people.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/construction-cu...omers-1.664706
Old 08-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #594
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
^It's called redundancy.

Some major backbones may be an exception, but in general, redundancy in networking is no big news.

Cut through the wrong link and you'll definitely notice it. Some of you may remember when some dips were working along Kingsway a year or 2 back, accidentally cut through a major underground Telus line, and knocked out service for a ton of people.

Construction cuts internet to 10,000 Telus customers | British Columbia
Yes there's redundancy, but it's not not that simple. The ability to switch to a backup tunnel quick enough without dropping a packet... that's the impressive part You could always have redundant paths, but if you take 5-6 seconds (or even longer), thousands of people will notice... and complain
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #595
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Cactus Club
I once saw my kitchen manager drop a piece of steak. He quickly picked it up, rinsed it off with water and put it back on the grill.

One of my co-worker found a strand of pube on a key lime pie Don't ask me how it got there. He served it anyway because that was the only pie left.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #596
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

yet you didn't do anything...

don't be mad if someone does the same thing to your food...
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #597
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogenfruz View Post
I worked at Walmart this summer as a truck unloader. I had to do about 20 computer training exercises to learn company policies. Anyway, as far as their food goes, you'll never have to worry about it going bad because it's removed from the shelves well before the expiry; 3 days for cold food, 4 for frozen, 7 for dry goods, 30 for baby foods. All this food is then taken to the back and thrown out. Not donated to a soup kitchen or anything, just no questions asked, thrown out. I actually watched a coworker throw out about 300$ in food the other day, made me sick that it could have been used for feeding the hungry.

Not really something that's as bad as rats and expired food, but just a shady way of doing things, extremely wasteful.
you're seeing it all wrong.

they don't give it to charities/homeless because of liability reasons. if they throw it out there is 0% chance of being sued, if they give it all away to charitiy and somewhere between walmart and a hungry person something goes wrong and teh end user gets ill, walmart's getting sued

so don't blame walmart, blame the d-b lawyers, laws, and judges that would allow you to sue for receiving something for free that then potentially makes you ill (assuming not expired) - and i don't think a waiver protects walmart from this either - really, the government should step in here, receive the donations with full inspection staff and 100% lack of liability for the donating party, but that's huge expense & redundancy (government by definition) - and then the government will end up getting sued

i totally agree, though, this is a real shame, but its the sad world we live in, the greedy few that want to sue instead of work ruin it for the rest of us
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #598
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
I'm curious. Can you explain more? Whats the difference between the HD ones and engineered?
Home Depot Bracket

Engineered Connection
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #599
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Cho: 1) $41 + hst for 50L of syrup = 200L of Coke
Coren: 2) $41 + hst for 20L of syrup = .....around 80litres?

If restaurants get them at $41 + HST for 50L, that would be cheap.
But at $41 for only 20L of syrup making 80 litres....wouldn't restaurants be better off at buying $0.99 2L bottles? Only advantage is you wouldn't have to finish the whole bottle at end of each day.

I was told a 20L box of syrup should yield 200ish 16oz cups. I don't remember exactly how many. Another thing is, you will not be able to get a 2L bottle from coke for restaurant sale. The coke drivers say they lose money when stores sell it at $.99 (I have no idea how, stuff should cost pennies to make). Besides, it would take forever if someone was pouring your drink from a bottle.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #600
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
I was told a 20L box of syrup should yield 200ish 16oz cups. I don't remember exactly how many. Another thing is, you will not be able to get a 2L bottle from coke for restaurant sale. The coke drivers say they lose money when stores sell it at $.99 (I have no idea how, stuff should cost pennies to make). Besides, it would take forever if someone was pouring your drink from a bottle.
Coke does not lose money the store loses money when they sell it for .99 cents.