REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #2676
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Anyone familiar with student loans know how much i'd get if i am planning to take 6 courses, haven't worked in the 6-7 months before september start date, have no income and live on my own?

Do they cover everything comfortably? Calculating my tuition cost it's looking like about $1800 for the semester and they only gave me $3900 last time and expected me to contribute 3000. (Then again they were factoring in the fact i had been working, althouhg i had no money)

I'd need like at the bare minimum 5-5.5k to even live 4 months. I expect to have only <$300 after this semester.

Will they give out a 5.5k loan to someone living alone who hasnt worked in 7 months? my parent is not contributing at all to anything and a lot of people get money from their parents so im worried
Advertisement
whEEls7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #2677
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
Wheels, have you ever asked anyone other from revscene for help? Please seek a professional for answers to those in-depth questions

Last edited by Zoidberg; 05-22-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #2678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Wheels, have you ever asked anyone other from revscene for help? Please seek a professional for answers to those in-depth questions
no
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #2679
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
On a sidenote..

If you can't afford school at the moment, why don't you just work and save up some cash to go back to school? If you work full-time for three months, you can easily make 3000/4000 and that's your tuition for two semesters.

A lot of people just go straight diving into student loans, but never think about working first..
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #2680
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

6 courses is not 1800. 5 courses is 1692.36 approximately. There is a student loan department at Langara who can address your concerns. Pardon my ignorance: How can you have no income, yet live alone? Do you mean you have a job, but break even or do you live with your parents? If you live with your parents but have no job, I'd think it is easier to get a loan, but don't quote me on it.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #2681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
6 courses is not 1800. 5 courses is 1692.36 approximately. There is a student loan department at Langara who can address your concerns. Pardon my ignorance: How can you have no income, yet live alone? Do you mean you have a job, but break even or do you live with your parents? If you live with your parents but have no job, I'd think it is easier to get a loan, but don't quote me on it.
nah i dont work thats weak lol

i am trying to live on student loans so i can focus on studies but canada dont like that

and at guy above, i want to graduate before im 30 (already late, if all goes well i graduate at 23)
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #2682
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

wheels, there is no need to rush graduation. That is a mistake many students make and overload on courses, subsequently leading to academic probation and or required to withdraw. You're young (if you can grad @ 23) so don't worry.

Take a few less courses and work pt or ft during weekends. Save up a bit because once you hit ubc it'll be 2-3x as expensive.

I know a few of my friends worked pt/ft shifts during school year and full time summer and paid off their own tuition without student loans. One in particular just graduated from science last year and she maintained a decent gpa. Others actually took out a student loan and repaid it when the bills came. You get grants and spending money as part of your budget so it's not impossible to repay. Plus, if you do well, you can land a coop job for 3 semesters (12months). Engineering jobs pay well and if you lucked out and landed a good one, you can potentially pay off your entire tuition through that.

Just don't try and rush things, almost always it never works out well. I know I fell for it and failed a few courses. Not fun. If you manage your time well, keep a set schedule where you sit down and do work/study you'll do well even if you are working.

Happier note: 2 weeks left for me! Anyone else transferring to UBC for the fall as well?
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
wheels, there is no need to rush graduation. That is a mistake many students make and overload on courses, subsequently leading to academic probation and or required to withdraw. You're young (if you can grad @ 23) so don't worry.

Take a few less courses and work pt or ft during weekends. Save up a bit because once you hit ubc it'll be 2-3x as expensive.

I know a few of my friends worked pt/ft shifts during school year and full time summer and paid off their own tuition without student loans. One in particular just graduated from science last year and she maintained a decent gpa. Others actually took out a student loan and repaid it when the bills came. You get grants and spending money as part of your budget so it's not impossible to repay. Plus, if you do well, you can land a coop job for 3 semesters (12months). Engineering jobs pay well and if you lucked out and landed a good one, you can potentially pay off your entire tuition through that.

Just don't try and rush things, almost always it never works out well. I know I fell for it and failed a few courses. Not fun. If you manage your time well, keep a set schedule where you sit down and do work/study you'll do well even if you are working.

Happier note: 2 weeks left for me! Anyone else transferring to UBC for the fall as well?
gz on getting into ubc

My main goals are doing well in school and graduating at 23. Iève already looked down that path and it doesnt seem to be that much work considering I will be taking summer semesters off and doing engineering co ops. I donèt think Ièll ever work a part time job during the school year because grades are of my utmost priority (Going to gradschool very shortly after, and because of my US citizenship I am able to get into schools like purdue, mit, caltech with a bit less hassle).

My ideal situation is just having student loans and grants paying my tuition, rent, living costs until i can get into some well paying co ops for the summer...but above all my grades being top priority. If I donèt need to work and student loans can support me if i live smart i donèt see why I should. Hours put into working so i can live more comfortably are not worth the hours put into extra cirricular, awards, activities that look good on a top tier grad school app
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #2684
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
anyone take FMGT 1116 with Heathcote?
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #2685
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
^ I think I did
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #2686

1 month into this awful geography class i described a couple pages ago and I think I'm ready to literally end my life

cancelled classes everywhere and no midterm/quiz dates pushed back, she simply carries on at regular pace and makes no compromises for her cancelling/being late to so many classes

Just got given a map of canada and 50 random rivers, lakes, towns, gas stations, gift shops and whore houses and had to put down a dot and a number corresponding to their location.

would anyone like my computer and clothes because i am jumping off the the tallest cliff in the rocky mountains (of which i just spent 250 hours memorizing the geographical latitude and longitude of every pool of water larger than a small pond within a 20 mile radius of each and every equilateral line in western canada)

why didnt i listen to ratemyprof
please kill me

Last edited by whEEls7; 06-09-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #2687
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
If classes are cancelled, do you take the time to study what is planned?

I mean it sucks, but you already know that she's a flakey professor. Make the most out of your cancelled class by not hanging with your friends, but instead going to the library and studying what she was going to go over in class.

University life is all about self-studying. Get used to it.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #2688

Spoiler!

This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #2689
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
anyone take FMGT 1116 with Heathcote?
Heathcote is a good prof.. Dont know what class that is, but she is really inclined to help you learn.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #2690

^Agreed. Heathcote is a great professor.. Also helps that she has somewhat easy exams lol A+ for both FMGT 2293 and 2294 with her (I studied a lot though).

Last edited by Zoidberg; 06-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #2691

jesus christ, are upper div langara courses always stacked on tuesday at night?
Old 06-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #2692
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
^ Tuesday wed and Thursday night
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #2693

For this semester, there's no upper div thursday night though....
Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #2694

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Any Term 1 BBA: Marketing bros? No idea what courses to sign up for

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #2695
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Whats the chances of lets say you and a buddy getting into all the same courses (4 courses) if :

Your registration time is June 24 at noon?

Your buddy's registration time is June 25 at 11?

Do classes usually fill up pretty quick?

(Brand new students out of HS entering Fall 2013 semester if it matters)

Last edited by LP700-4; 06-18-2013 at 10:55 PM.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #2696
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
How does the registration at langara work? I know people who has 68+ credit their registration time is still june 24 11am.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #2697

am i allowed to use peoples whiteboards in empty classes/labs/random places?
rhetorical question, imma use them anyway

Does anyone know any brilliant places to study near a power outlet? The library always has good spots taken and the first floor is obnoxiously loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
How does the registration at langara work? I know people who has 68+ credit their registration time is still june 24 11am.
i have 9 credit im june 25 11am
Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
I have always believed it was based on if you are in one of their degree programs followed by number of credits followed by GPA. Cause I know a few people who just register to be in the BBA program to get an earlier reg. date. Regular art/science transfer students usually get reg. date starting on the Friday of the first week.

I am not 100% sure on this but just an observation ive made.
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #2699

i dont understand why fresh hs apps gets earlier activation than someone with credits and a 4.0 gpa

so sad
brb losing vital spots to people who will flunk out of calc anyway
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #2700

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
^ I got my activation time yesterday at 1 PM

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote