REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Hockey Gear Whoring Thread and Reviews (https://www.revscene.net/forums/564246-hockey-gear-whoring-thread-reviews.html)

SumAznGuy 04-27-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dim_sum (Post 7411015)
def. stock i think he meant to show which way the laces were supposed to go in.

Is there any logical explanation why lacing the skates outside in will keep them from coming loose as opposed to inside out.

I lace my skates inside out and want to give this a try since I am using waxed laces and still they come loose after an hour.

m3thods 04-27-2011 02:12 PM

I wish I knew the reason. But there are some cons to doing this, one of which includes it being more of a pain to tighten and loosen (IMO compared to the other way).

What I do is go outside in on all but the top 3-4 eyelets. that way my foot is nice and snug in the boot. I keep the top normal lacing way up top so I can loosen it for some forward flex. All with wax laces.

matter 04-27-2011 03:23 PM

Also, not all waxed laces are equal. The waxiness within the same brand is pretty uneven as well. I have a set that stand on end like wire, while another set of laces (same brand/style etc) feel like normal laces.

Needless to say, the super waxy one stays nice and tight for the whole game.

Leopold Stotch 04-30-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matter (Post 7411250)
Also, not all waxed laces are equal. The waxiness within the same brand is pretty uneven as well. I have a set that stand on end like wire, while another set of laces (same brand/style etc) feel like normal laces.

Needless to say, the super waxy one stays nice and tight for the whole game.

recently got some new laces from icewarehouse, one isn't and the other is.
about an hour in, i went to stop and my boot wiggled and i felt like my ankle broke.

bastards!

m3thods 04-30-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7414616)
recently got some new laces from icewarehouse, one isn't and the other is.
about an hour in, i went to stop and my boot wiggled and i felt like my ankle broke.

bastards!

Hmm I don't mean any disrespect, but I don't see how laces affect your ability to stop or skate. It sounds like your skates don't fit you properly.

I mean I use waxed laces, but even with my stock ones I never had problems with my foot shifting in my skate while on the ice. I use wax laces because it keeps a "snugger" fit longer, but it's not the difference between a good fit and a poor fit.

UFO 05-02-2011 10:01 PM

Speaking of waxed laces, don't forget to bake your skates with non-waxed laces before installing waxed laces.

SumAznGuy 05-03-2011 10:34 AM

Tried tying my waxed laces outside in sunday and the laces definately stayed tighter over the course of the game. No having to tighten the laces partway through the game.

But it was a bit of a pain to get the laces loosened when taking the skates off.

Spidey 05-04-2011 08:23 PM

I don't whore out that much anymore..

Helmet: ccm V10/ Hejduk visor

Gloves: Warrior franchise/bauer 4 rolls

Elbows: one95

Shins: Bauer supreme 1000

Shoulders: one95

pants: one95

Skates: one100

Inlines: supreme 60

Stick: Base

True.True 05-04-2011 09:49 PM

moar whore
helmet: easton s19 /w bauer 9900 cage
gloves: bauer x:60
elbows: bauer total one
shins: bauer lightspeed pro
shoulders: bauer total one
pants: bauer x:60
skates: rbk 9k
inlines: mission axiom t7
sticks: bauer total one

fucken hockey leaves empty pockets

Leopold Stotch 05-09-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 7414881)
Hmm I don't mean any disrespect, but I don't see how laces affect your ability to stop or skate. It sounds like your skates don't fit you properly.

I mean I use waxed laces, but even with my stock ones I never had problems with my foot shifting in my skate while on the ice. I use wax laces because it keeps a "snugger" fit longer, but it's not the difference between a good fit and a poor fit.

the laces came un-done so my entire boot loosened up, i've never had it happen with the 2 years i had regular laces, but the memory was fresh in my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by True.True (Post 7421113)
moar whore
helmet: easton s19 /w bauer 9900 cage
gloves: bauer x:60
elbows: bauer total one
shins: bauer lightspeed pro
shoulders: bauer total one
pants: bauer x:60
skates: rbk 9k
inlines: mission axiom t7
sticks: bauer total one

fucken hockey leaves empty pockets

wow that's basically high end everything, cept mission i don't keep up with their model line up so i don't know

My Gear

Helmet: Bauer 4500 with Bauer HS23 visor
Chest: Itech 655
Elbows: CCM Vector 04
Gloves: Bauer Vapor XXV
Pants: Bauer Vapor X40
Shins: Bauer Vapor X40
Skates: Bauer Vapor X40
Sticks: Bauer Vapor X60 77 Backstrom Warrior Dolomite Spyne 75 Draper

Spidey 05-10-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7427834)
the laces came un-done so my entire boot loosened up, i've never had it happen with the 2 years i had regular laces, but the memory was fresh in my mind.

wow that's basically high end everything, cept mission i don't keep up with their model line up so i don't know

My Gear

Helmet: Bauer 4500 with Bauer HS23 visor
Chest: Itech 655
Elbows: CCM Vector 04
Gloves: Bauer Vapor XXV
Pants: Bauer Vapor X40
Shins: Bauer Vapor X40
Skates: Bauer Vapor X40
Sticks: Bauer Vapor X60 77 Backstrom Warrior Dolomite Spyne 75 Draper

mission axiom t7s are the highest for mission inline skates..

i would never spend money on high end inlines.. i would rather get the mid line or 2nd highest end ice skates and put the inline chassis on there.. ice skates give way more support and much stiffer...

SolidPenguin 05-10-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7428216)
mission axiom t7s are the highest for mission inline skates..

i would never spend money on high end inlines.. i would rather get the mid line or 2nd highest end ice skates and put the inline chassis on there.. ice skates give way more support and much stiffer...

Theres actually T8 and T9 above the T7's.

But i agree with what youre saying. Although the RX60's is basically the X60 boot, and also the upcoming APXr skate.

UFO 05-11-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7428216)

me neither. I never spend money on high end ice skates either though. I find a mid-end ice boot is equivalent/better than most high end inline boots and offer way better foot protection than a mid-end inline boot.

I usually play with my ice skates for a season or two, then get my inline chassis swapped over when I get new ice skates. I found my old inline specific boots break down quite quickly, and never really have the stiffness and protection even when new. And its cheaper swapping inline chassis than buying new inlines every 2 years :D

dim_sum 06-09-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7420964)
I don't whore out that much anymore..

Helmet: ccm V10/ Hejduk visor

Gloves: Warrior franchise/bauer 4 rolls

Elbows: one95

Shins: Bauer supreme 1000

Shoulders: one95

pants: one95

Skates: one100

Inlines: supreme 60

Stick: Base

i was thinking about a base hockey stick as my next stick... hows it compared to other sticks you've used? how much do they go for? there isn't any price information on their website.

Saturn2nr 06-11-2011 01:00 PM

Mask: Bauer NME 7
Chest/Arm: Vaughn VP7500
Blocker/Catcher: Simmons 993 Pro Spec
Pads: Simmons 993 Pro Spec
Skates: Reebok 7K Pump
Sticks: Warrior Swagger
Pants: Bauer One75

BLUETIGER 06-11-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2nr (Post 7468359)
Mask: Bauer NME 7
Chest/Arm: Vaughn VP7500
Blocker/Catcher: Simmons 993 Pro Spec
Pads: Simmons 993 Pro Spec
Skates: Reebok 7K Pump
Sticks: Warrior Swagger
Pants: Bauer One75

any experience with Simmons c/a?

mickz 06-11-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dim_sum (Post 7466621)
i was thinking about a base hockey stick as my next stick... hows it compared to other sticks you've used? how much do they go for? there isn't any price information on their website.

Prices are listed on their Facebook page... the costs have been going up and up though.

IMO BASE is more of a playmakers stick. I love the puck feel when giving and receiving passes but the blade feels softer so you don't get the same pop when shooting like you would with some of the other brands out there.

Saturn2nr 06-12-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUETIGER (Post 7468447)
any experience with Simmons c/a?

No I haven't. I've always been partial to Vaughn, I like the fit. I have been looking at them 'cause I may need to replace my set soon and the reviews I have come across are positive. Plus they're very well priced. The 996 is 300 bucks and if you know you're facing some heavy shots and need extra padding they offer a padding upgrade for the 996 on the arms at the elbow joints and the lower part of the chest portion.
For blocker/catcher/pads, I've had a set of Koho Pro Specs, old set of Vaughn Visions, and Louisville TPS butterflys and I love my 993 set; best pads I've had and I paid less for my 993 blocker/catcher/pads than what my Koho Pro Spec pads alone cost. Their stuff is well built and well priced so I'm tempted to see what some of their other stuff is like.

Spidey 06-12-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 7468646)
Prices are listed on their Facebook page... the costs have been going up and up though.

IMO BASE is more of a playmakers stick. I love the puck feel when giving and receiving passes but the blade feels softer so you don't get the same pop when shooting like you would with some of the other brands out there.

I would have to disagree. I think the Base is very good overal stick... The blade is strong has heck, and the shaft is qutie resposive. It doesn't have a super low kick point, but I feel it is very equivalent to the bauer one95. I have not tried the new totalone, and since the Base is still a fused 2 piece, it wouldn't be fair to compare it to the other true one piece sticks. I have used many sticks in the past, and I am sold to use Base for the long run. It is the best bang for you buck stick, and is very well constructed.

mickz 06-12-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7469689)
I would have to disagree. I think the Base is very good overal stick... The blade is strong has heck, and the shaft is qutie resposive. It doesn't have a super low kick point, but I feel it is very equivalent to the bauer one95. I have not tried the new totalone, and since the Base is still a fused 2 piece, it wouldn't be fair to compare it to the other true one piece sticks. I have used many sticks in the past, and I am sold to use Base for the long run. It is the best bang for you buck stick, and is very well constructed.

I do agree that BASE is one of the best bargains for the retail market right now but the Total ONE makes it effortless when it comes to slap shots. It's hard to believe at first but as soon as you start taking a couple shots with one it's hard to switch back to other brands. I've always been preaching it's the shooter not the stick but the Total ONE really is an exception in this case.

While the BASE is very well made, I think the only thing they could improve on is the finishing. It's still a bit rough around the edges but hopefully after a year on the market things have changed.

Mine was a sample from one of the pro reps and I bought it for < $100 otherwise I wouldn't even have used this stick at all. I can't justify spending $269+ on one stick.

Spidey 06-12-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 7469849)
I do agree that BASE is one of the best bargains for the retail market right now but the Total ONE makes it effortless when it comes to slap shots. It's hard to believe at first but as soon as you start taking a couple shots with one it's hard to switch back to other brands. I've always been preaching it's the shooter not the stick but the Total ONE really is an exception in this case.

Mine was a sample from one of the pro reps and I bought it for < $100 otherwise I wouldn't even have used this stick at all. I can't justify spending $269+ on one stick.

for 100 you can't go wrong... A lot has to do with the shooter but there are certain sticks I just cannot use/shoot with. I can't justify spending 200+ on sticks anymore.

True.True 06-12-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7469855)
for 100 you can't go wrong... A lot has to do with the shooter but there are certain sticks I just cannot use/shoot with. I can't justify spending 200+ on sticks anymore.

try my total one p14 next time we play ice :p

Spidey 06-12-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True.True (Post 7469912)
try my total one p14 next time we play ice :p

I may not give it back....

True.True 06-12-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7469916)
I may not give it back....

ive got 2, trying to trade my x60 p92 for a third one :p

trd2343 06-19-2011 05:33 PM

Budget hockey equipment

I've just picked up 2 nets, plastic sticks, and 2 catcher from CanadianTire. This is for a church youth group, so nothing serious.

I realize kind of how dangerous it is to play without a goalie mask/helmet and painful without goalie pads and chest protector.

Where would I find the best price for these things?

Need:
goalie mask/helmet
goalie pads

Optional:
blocker
chest protector

Again, this is just for recreational activity, so nothing serious, just looking for basic protection from these equipment.

US retailer is ok since I'm going down to Hagens this weekend to pick up something.

Thanks

I guess this would have been perfect,

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

But my friend already bought the glove, plus it is still kind of pricey