REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Hockey Gear Whoring Thread and Reviews (https://www.revscene.net/forums/564246-hockey-gear-whoring-thread-reviews.html)

BLUETIGER 06-25-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV (Post 7490118)
Hello, i am looking to buy a set of Goalie equipment, not for ice though, i will be playing street or floor hockey any recommendations as to which ones are a bit more durable? Ive had the RBK 30' for quite some time now and its starting to shread up, straps are also breaking.

Also what sizing should i be getting? I am 6'1 almost so im looking maybe 34'-36'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7490142)
^ def at least 36

regarding sizing, just make sure your knees land properly in the knee cradle when you drop into your butterfly. a 34" to 36" pad sounds about right for your height, but everyone's legs are different lengths and keep in mind that pad sizing may vary across different manufacturers and models. i'm 6'1-6'2 tall and currently using a 35" bauer pad. i had a set of 36" reebok's briefly that also worked fine. some pads also feature adjustable landing areas for the knee, so a 35" pad can be adjusted to fit like a 34" etc.

as for durability, playing outside on asphalt/road will tear anything up over time... unless you decide to play stand-up, haha. to my knowledge, using old ice hockey pads may last longer than the Canadian Tire street hockey pads. if you're playing outside, duct-tape is your friend haha.

just keep browsing craigslist for some second-hand pads. i've seen decent second hand sets of pads go for as low as $50-75 (and ridiculously high and overpriced like $500 for some old school pads). expensive high-end pads will generally last longer on the ice. but if you're playing outdoor, get whatever is cheap, because basically everything will get torn up by the rough surface.

matter 06-27-2011 09:13 AM

It has varied from year to year, but if its the same as last year, stuff will be expensive. They rated prices according to player popularity so Sedin/Kesler etc was $300 for a stick, while Hordichuk, Hansen sticks were cheaper.

Gone are the days of $75 used pro stocks/$125 new sticks

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 7490286)
Oh yea, prostocknation is having their Canucks equipment 2011 sale (July 11 – July 17) at the Canucks Team Store Outlet located on Hastings and Renfrew (#150 – 2893 E Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC)

For the people who have gone, what do they usually have and how expensive is it? :D

LP700-4 06-27-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUETIGER (Post 7490421)
regarding sizing, just make sure your knees land properly in the knee cradle when you drop into your butterfly. a 34" to 36" pad sounds about right for your height, but everyone's legs are different lengths and keep in mind that pad sizing may vary across different manufacturers and models. i'm 6'1-6'2 tall and currently using a 35" bauer pad. i had a set of 36" reebok's briefly that also worked fine. some pads also feature adjustable landing areas for the knee, so a 35" pad can be adjusted to fit like a 34" etc.

as for durability, playing outside on asphalt/road will tear anything up over time... unless you decide to play stand-up, haha. to my knowledge, using old ice hockey pads may last longer than the Canadian Tire street hockey pads. if you're playing outside, duct-tape is your friend haha.

just keep browsing craigslist for some second-hand pads. i've seen decent second hand sets of pads go for as low as $50-75 (and ridiculously high and overpriced like $500 for some old school pads). expensive high-end pads will generally last longer on the ice. but if you're playing outdoor, get whatever is cheap, because basically everything will get torn up by the rough surface.

Thats some good info, thanks. If you happen to see any 32"+ pads go for cheap would ya mind PMing me?

Ive used the RBK's for bout a year now, couple rips and tears at bottom, but generally has held up pretty well, i just want bigger ones now.

I damn wish Marpole would go repave their outdoor rink..........

Leopold Stotch 06-27-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 7490286)
Oh yea, prostocknation is having their Canucks equipment 2011 sale (July 11 – July 17) at the Canucks Team Store Outlet located on Hastings and Renfrew (#150 – 2893 E Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC)

For the people who have gone, what do they usually have and how expensive is it? :D

i'm wary about buying used gear, but for he most part, unless it's tambelini of ballard sized, it's not gonna fit me .

plus their sticks are all pretty damn stiff, and most are left as you can see why

Spidey 06-27-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUETIGER (Post 7490421)

Did you take the "lifts" into account? A lot pads are rating at the pad size then there's a +1 , 2 etc.. on top of that

Spidey 06-27-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV (Post 7491899)
Thats some good info, thanks. If you happen to see any 32"+ pads go for cheap would ya mind PMing me?

Ive used the RBK's for bout a year now, couple rips and tears at bottom, but generally has held up pretty well, i just want bigger ones now.

I damn wish Marpole would go repave their outdoor rink..........

not gonna happen... they need new mesh on the nets before anything lol... and it isn't different than QE's out door asphalt... you need pads that are nylon and not vinyl. I have old itech profile road hockey pads since 2000 and they are still good.. Mind you I haven't used them in 10 years, but it has gotten a lot of use in those days.

BLUETIGER 06-27-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7492354)
Did you take the "lifts" into account? A lot pads are rating at the pad size then there's a +1 , 2 etc.. on top of that

no, i did not go into detail regarding the thigh-rise as i wanted to keep my explanation simple.

a 34" pad with a +2" thigh rise and a 35"+1" are both basically 36" pads but one will fit better than the other, no? so i think he should still just be more concerned about where his knee sits before looking at thigh rise.

but taking the thigh-rise of the pad into consideration, modern pads usually have a notation +1, or +2, etc in addition to their fitment size (34" or whatever). the +1 or +2 is called the "thigh rise" which means there is a 1" or 2" extension at the top of the pad to make it longer, while it doesn't necessarily affect where your knee sits. the purpose of the thigh rise is to help seal up the 5-hole better in the butterfly, particularly for guys with wide butterflies.

hope my description is not too confusing. i will try to clarify as necessary

LP700-4 06-27-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7492357)
not gonna happen... they need new mesh on the nets before anything lol... and it isn't different than QE's out door asphalt... you need pads that are nylon and not vinyl. I have old itech profile road hockey pads since 2000 and they are still good.. Mind you I haven't used them in 10 years, but it has gotten a lot of use in those days.

I zip-tied the mesh back lol but the pavement is terrible.....

Reason why the mesh is always broken is that there's always a bunch of guys playing soccer in the hockey courts......
Posted via RS Mobile

Kilinim 06-28-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matter (Post 7491723)
It has varied from year to year, but if its the same as last year, stuff will be expensive. They rated prices according to player popularity so Sedin/Kesler etc was $300 for a stick, while Hordichuk, Hansen sticks were cheaper.

Gone are the days of $75 used pro stocks/$125 new sticks

Is this different than the Canucks' own sale out of Rogers Arena? I don't know how they do the sale anymore.
Posted via RS Mobile

G 06-30-2011 11:20 AM

http://prostocknation.files.wordpres...lyer.jpg?w=450

"There’s no new information other than some vague price points. Expect the sticks starting at $100 to be at least 4 years old, $100 gloves with no palms left, and the $75 skates to be prehistoric. There usually isn’t anything good until you spend a little more."

mickz 07-06-2011 08:50 PM

I'm really surprised the Canucks would start this sale on a Monday morning. I'm expecting the place to be flooded with high school kids and more tire kickers than people who are interested in dropping big cash especially on game used goalie equipment.

trip 07-07-2011 03:01 PM

where can i go to find inline skates? everywhere seems to be sold out for hockey sktates in size 7 and under.

sportcheck in lower mainland is out. ive checked cyclone taylors and ice level.

OTG-ZR2 07-07-2011 03:23 PM

^ Size 7 in inline hockey skate, try a junior skate, another sports check location?

On a side note, today I picked up some Mission Informers for $146 :D

trip 07-07-2011 05:18 PM

i think i tried the biggest jr skate and it fucking hurt
i didnt even try skating in them.

i should be a 6.5-7 SR

JKam 07-07-2011 08:30 PM

picked up my first pair of skates EVER.

I chose CCM U+ 08 for $299.99 since the bauers fit really narrow. So far they're comfy, I'll try them out on ice on Saturday.

Should I get waxed laces or not? What do I need to do to keep them in good condition? I've never really played ice hockey.

beetea 07-07-2011 11:26 PM

I personally like the waxed laces, I find that you get a better tie on them and that the lace holds when tightening. But it's all personal opinion.

You should undo the top two eyelets when removing your skate, pull out footbeds, and wipe down the blades. This way your skates should last for quite some time.

mickz 07-08-2011 01:36 AM

http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalo..._laces_6wm.jpg

I have been using Pro-Lace waxed laces for the past couple of years. They have molded tips and last longer than your traditional laces with just plastic wrapped around the tips. Broken tips were my #1 reason for replacing laces before I made the switch.

They're about $5 a pair but they're worth it. Sometimes you can find them on sale... I stocked up at The Hockey Shop (I bought every single pair of 96" they had left) last year because they were making room for these Elite knockoffs called Pro Edge Plus. I've never tried them so I don't know if they're any good but they're around the same price...

m3thods 07-08-2011 04:04 PM

^ hands down the best waxed lace out there. I've tried the ones from Cyclone, Sport Mart, etc. And ProLace is the one I always buy now.

Now that you mentioned that THS has changed them, I'm very weary because I have to replace mine soon :(

Spidey 07-08-2011 06:42 PM

^ canadian tire has them you know. i don't like them because they don't have the traditioanl yellow. why do you like them? I also don't like them because they don't feel firm enough. I like the ones from cyclone where the tips are molded/chiseled. personally I like the stiffly waxed laces. They seem to grip better when tightening.

belka 07-08-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belka (Post 7489659)
If someone is looking at S19's, this is the best deal I've found. Most Canadian dealers want $300+.

Easton Stealth S19 Senior Ice Hockey Stick *NEW* - eBay (item 280696111447 end time Jul-14-11 20:59:59 PDT)

I'm going to order a few when strike is over.

Down to $188 each! edit: limited quantities. :(

Bought new skates for the year and for the sub-800 price I couldn't say no. :fullofwin:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d.../skatesbto.jpg

trancehead 07-09-2011 01:37 AM

^going to skate like the wind

Spidey 07-09-2011 08:16 AM

I have never tried the totalone, but the tongue just seems too thin.. even with the interchangeable tongue inserts

Wilso09 07-09-2011 08:27 AM

I opted to get the one100's when I was getting new skates. (Great skates, highly recommend if they fit your feet).
Tried on the Totalones and just didn't like the tounge. The one100 skates have a very nice felt tounge (Graf like).
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 07-09-2011 08:36 AM

^yup, i got te one100s when they came out as well... I would have been happy with the one95 but they were d/c and sizes were limited.

Wilso09 07-09-2011 09:25 AM

I was in the same boat as you.
I would have loved to pick up a pair of one95's on closeout and save myself a few hundred dollars. Unfortunately, sizes were limited and I couldn't find my size from any retailer.
Posted via RS Mobile