REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:22 PM   #3726
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
If you banned people from driving for life for DUI, I guarantee you drinking and driving would fall off a cliff.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2023, 04:56 PM   #3727
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Yeah, because dr. Wilson who's leaving his west van mansion in his Audi s8 to head up to furry creek and have 6 beers so he has the balls to flirt with the cart girl stands to lose a lot from that DUI.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #3728

It got him off the road

All I’m saying is after your 30th assault charge, maybe you should be punished a little?

There are people on the streets right now who should never see the light of day let alone be freely roaming among law abiding people.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:04 PM   #3729

I agree that any multiple violent offender should be treated way more harshly, but that's not just tough on crime across the board, and does no good for the guy with no record that stabs the dad that asked him not to vape. There's a multiple ended approach that needs to be here
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2023, 05:11 PM   #3730
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,460 Times in 5,118 Posts
These people don’t just disappear into a void when they go to jail… it costs a shit tonne of money to keep them there too… you want to gas everybody who commits a crime too? Death penalty for everyone?

Nevermind the fact people sometimes are found guilty of stuff they didn’t actually do, I’m not sure what you’re pushing for?

Nevermind that only well off people can afford to adequately defend themselves in court.

USA jails more people than any country in the world but they’re miles ahead of anything up here on a dangerous neighbourhoods and people scale.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2023, 05:21 PM   #3731

When you have HUNDREDS of convictions, yes. You belong in jail forever.

I don’t care if it costs me more tax dollars, that’s where you belong. Never to be seen again
Old 04-12-2023, 05:23 PM   #3732
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Gotta aquire more property to fund my life as slumlord

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2023, 06:38 PM   #3733

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
The story is missing why he got stabbed. Like every other story.

The news agencies like to leave that out 95% of the time because 1: they don't know, and 2: all they care about is the page clicks

When you add in it's a 17 year old that lipped off a meth head, or pushed a mentally unstable drug dealer, or got stabbed for flashing his 8000$ wad of cash on the IG 20 minutes earlier, it all adds up

I never read the article, just my insensitive opinion
Why would it matter? If they published a reason and it was along the lines of your scenarios, would you really think "Huh, well I guess he had it coming".

What a shitty victim-blaming attitude.

The correct answer is no-one should expect to get stabbed for anything in this country, save for self defence. We should not be normalizing this behaviour.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:58 PM   #3734
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
More kids need to ride dirtbikes
Old 04-12-2023, 07:08 PM   #3735
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Ahh.. the old “it’s bad everywhere”

Please.

Law abiding citizens trade off their safety for liberal ideologies
Ahh.. the old "if everybody has a gun in their waistband, somehow that is going to prevent people who already want to die doing mass shootings."

Arming the general public does nothing to prevent the types of deaths we are talking about, all it does is increase a bunch of other types of deaths such as accidental shootings, road rage escalating to people getting shot for cutting somebody off, and a million other undesirable consequences.

-Mark
Old 04-12-2023, 07:55 PM   #3736

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
More kids need to ride dirtbikes
Shit like this is actually the answer though. Give people the chance to enjoy their lives and there is no desire for violence or at least it's a hell of a lot less likely.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-12-2023, 09:07 PM   #3737
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
More dirt bikes needs to run over kids.

That way they’ll learn a life lesson.
Dirt bikes arent cheap,
wear your gear at all times,
life is precious,
Dirt bikes are precious,
Mom and dad won’t be there to save your ass,
The hospital system is overcrowded and broken,
You better not get sick kid so take care of yourself.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:30 PM   #3738
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,282 Times in 1,970 Posts

Meanwhile in India...
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:36 AM   #3739
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
See !!! Only a slap on the wrist… eruhhh in the face for murder.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #3740

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I know there was some talk in this thread about we don't know what happened, here is some more back story. I have no reason to think any of this story isn't true, like a single kid is going to be starting shit with a group of kids, it's just not happening.

Honestly this makes me physically ill, I know so many kids his age through my son.

This is Ethan, he was 17 years old with his whole life in front of him and dead for what?

https://www.cloverdalereporter.com/n...UxBhpIxhcYrnf8

Quote:
The Surrey teen who was fatally stabbed on a bus in Whalley on Tuesday night reportedly was riding home from a friend’s house and had texted his mom that he was being threatened by “some kids” and was scared.

“Ethan was a young, bright loved boy, unarmed and now his mother will forever be waiting for him to get off that bus,” a GoFundMe page set up by his aunt Andrea Van Der Gracht reads, seeking help to cover the teen’s funeral costs.

Ethan Bespflug, 17, died in hospital from his injuries after being stabbed on a bus in the 9900-block of King George Boulevard at 9:28 p.m. on April 11. Police have not yet identified a suspect.

“He texted his mom and said there’s some kids threatening me and I’m scared, and that was the last text that he got out,” his aunt, Andrea Van Der Gracht, told Global News. “He was a good kid. He had four younger sisters and brothers. He worked, he went to school, he got good grades, he wasn’t in trouble, he wasn’t a bad kid. The fact that he ended up in this situation is horrible. And it could be any of our kids now. You know, sitting on a bus, just going to meet your mom, shouldn’t mean you’re going to lose your life.”

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:40 AM   #3741

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
^^ was just gonna say that meanwhile in Canada 17 year old gets stabbed by a bunch of people and the police have no suspects, you can have and try to sell $8 million worth of drugs and be released the next day, yet ILLEGAL EXHAUST sports mode for track only

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...home-1.6808229
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2023, 12:00 PM   #3742
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
If you banned people from driving for life for DUI, I guarantee you drinking and driving would fall off a cliff.
Korea has a $5 - $10K CAD fine + 1-2 year jail time. So when I was there, none of our friends drink and drove in the city and suburbs. But there's also government cameras on every road and street.

They did say if you're in the upper class there's ways to give up your license forever and avoid jail time. Their DUI is 0.08-0.20. They don't want to go to jail and the $5-10K is 20-25% of their salary.

I think it works.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #3743
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I know there was some talk in this thread about we don't know what happened, here is some more back story. I have no reason to think any of this story isn't true, like a single kid is going to be starting shit with a group of kids, it's just not happening.

Honestly this makes me physically ill, I know so many kids his age through my son.

This is Ethan, he was 17 years old with his whole life in front of him and dead for what?

https://www.cloverdalereporter.com/n...UxBhpIxhcYrnf8
Just fucking devastating. Having kids of my own now - I can't even stomach the thought.

And if they catch the killer, nothing will happen. Maybe a couple years in jail and will be released. Wish they had the death penalty for shit like this.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2023, 12:43 PM   #3744

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
Honda, it's not just Vancouver, and it's not just Canada.

It's a worldwide issue, most prominent in Western democracies. Expect to see things get worse in the future here. This exactly what many social science majors predicted based on our acceleration into income inequality.

People don't feel a sense of purpose in their lives whether in be in employment (people tend to move jobs more and more nowadays) as your employment is no longer assured or stable like it used to be, people have no sense of ownership in their role, or to their organization.

Younger folks and even in our demo aren't seeing a path to financial freedom, the cost of housing, the monetization of every conceivable asset or service nowadays because... Capitalism. People aren't happy, they're stressed, they don't see a positive future in many ways. This creates an environment is mistrust, lack of community, lack of a feeling of "progress".

Add to that a declining birthrate, people in the West aren't having families anymore, a big reason is the overall cost and lack of stable housing, this also creates a disconnect further fueling that lack of "purpose" in ones life. Loneliness has also become a massive epidemic, there are many people out there that don't feel loved, they don't have a spouse or family, and are entirely disconnected from any sense of community.

I won't even get started on the affects of rampant immigration from a cultural cohesion standpoint.

So many problems, and we are atrophied to fix them.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2023, 12:43 PM   #3745
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
would there be even any jail time being teens that did this?

juvenile detention and then a wiped/clean record when you age out?

i get apprehensive with my kids being out on their own but i can't baby them, but it feels like the likelihood of getting in to trouble on the street just for minding your own business seems way more prevalent now than when i was a kid...

don't buses now have cameras on them? how are there no suspects, or do only a select few of newer buses have cameras only?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #3746
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Not trying to rub salt into the wound or anything -- but what could Ethan have done to avoid the violence (and subsequent sad ending)? Should he have gone to the bus driver asking for help? Should the bus driver have noticed something was wrong, and went to check? Was there no one else on the bus whipping their phone out to record the altercation?

I hope the attackers get caught and get tried as adults.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #3747

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
Weren't there witnesses on the bus as well? No one provided a description of the perp?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2023, 01:22 PM   #3748

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Not trying to rub salt into the wound or anything -- but what could Ethan have done to avoid the violence (and subsequent sad ending)? Should he have gone to the bus driver asking for help? Should the bus driver have noticed something was wrong, and went to check? Was there no one else on the bus whipping their phone out to record the altercation?

It's a good point, I'm not sure. You're making me think about it though, I'm going to have a discussion with my son about it though so he has a plan if ever in the situation.

My kid is getting his license in June, I was eventually going to give him my wifes car once I got around to buying her something else but I think this might be a priority the minute he gets it. His friends are starting to drive now but he still takes the bus home half the time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:48 PM   #3749
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,460 Times in 5,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ was just gonna say that meanwhile in Canada 17 year old gets stabbed by a bunch of people and the police have no suspects, you can have and try to sell $8 million worth of drugs and be released the next day, yet ILLEGAL EXHAUST sports mode for track only

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...home-1.6808229
Different units deal with different types of crime, don't fall into that fallacy.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2023, 01:51 PM   #3750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

He’s just a kid. I’m sure he doesn’t have extensive training in conflict deesclaation nor did he probably expect to die from an altercation