REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

0% for shitty service.......

&
i never tip
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #27
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

For those who don't tip or tip pennies on the dollar, I hope you all realize that your server can lose money because of you. If the service is terrible, then fine I understand not tipping, but you have to realize that servers tip out the staff and bartenders. Thus at the end of the night they have to take their tip money and tip out. Thus if you don't tip them, when their service was good, you can cause them to lose money.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #28
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslater View Post
For those who don't tip or tip pennies on the dollar, I hope you all realize that your server can lose money because of you. If the service is terrible, then fine I understand not tipping, but you have to realize that servers tip out the staff and bartenders. Thus at the end of the night they have to take their tip money and tip out. Thus if you don't tip them, when their service was good, you can cause them to lose money.
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nce View Post
When I went to wings @ surrey yesterday, they had already included the tips in the bill. It was under some categorie called service charge.
I went to Wings Surrey quite often & they never include gratuity in their bills.

Were you go there with a large party ?
usually restaurant will add gratuity instintly when they need to serve large party such as 8+ persons.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #30
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
I went to Wings Surrey quite often & they never include gratuity in their bills.

Were you go there with a large party ?
usually restaurant will add gratuity instintly when they need to serve large party such as 8+ persons.

there was 6, is that considered large?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

PMed vince
Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #32
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
The % I tip is strictly based on service.

Sometimes I go to a Chinese/western diner for breakfast where the bill is usually $5-6. The lady always grabs me a paper, fills my coffee and asks if I need anything, etc. I've never tipped out less than $2.

Conversely, I've tipped nothing on meals over $200 (for 2 people). It's gotta be pretty bad to get to that though.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
another cheapass here folks.
To be personally honest, the wealthiest people I know around the world frequently tip the very minimum that is socially accepted in the country they happen to be dining at. Note that I had personally put it out that I usually tip 10%, unless of course the establishment also has a separate gratuity in addition to this, usually 5% to a maximum I've seen of 7%.
In comparison, my acquaintances whom I've observed tipping very generously, usually do so at entry level establishments such as The Keg (no offense intended), and would clearly be uncomfortable to tip at such rates at some of the world's more finer dining establishments.

Given your unsolicited attack of myself and the other fellow who defended my neutral opinion, and taking into account my observations of minimal tippers vs. generous tippers, I must therefore presume that you:

a.) Harbor frustrations against the rich, and therefore tip generously to make yourself feel like a "baller."

b.) Probably hold a job which prevents you from "truly" becoming as rich as you'd like to be, hence needing to over tip to make up for this feeling of inferiority.

c.) Undertravelled (worldly)

d.) Earn about $14/hour (baller)

e.) All of the above!
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #34
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
if the service is rude they get 2cents and most likely a complaint to the owner (no middlemen straight to the main guy)

if its average service i tip whatever seems fair isnt really based on percentage but id guess 20%

if i loved the food and service i go up to 50% or whatever mood im in i usually go by $ amount and not %

usually find myself tipping hot dog vendors and small family establishments more than anywhere else, usually feels like they deserve/need it more

edit: civic blues proves he's gay once again
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

ok so to all the ppl saying shitty service

do you consider how few servers and/or chefs there are compared to customers?

you cant blame them if the manager is too cheap to hire more chefs and waiters, at most restaurants i worked at it was usually 4 or 5 at most during the busiest rushes, our capacity was about 150 ppl and it's hell during rushes

in these scenarios i would tip 15% as i usually do at AYCE places
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu13 View Post
ok so to all the ppl saying shitty service

do you consider how few servers and/or chefs there are compared to customers?

you cant blame them if the manager is too cheap to hire more chefs and waiters, at most restaurants i worked at it was usually 4 or 5 at most during the busiest rushes, our capacity was about 150 ppl and it's hell during rushes

in these scenarios i would tip 15% as i usually do at AYCE places
If you don't like your job or you suck at it, quit. There's no shortage of servers.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #37
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
To be personally honest, the wealthiest people I know around the world frequently tip the very minimum that is socially accepted in the country they happen to be dining at. Note that I had personally put it out that I usually tip 10%, unless of course the establishment also has a separate gratuity in addition to this, usually 5% to a maximum I've seen of 7%.
In comparison, my acquaintances whom I've observed tipping very generously, usually do so at entry level establishments such as The Keg (no offense intended), and would clearly be uncomfortable to tip at such rates at some of the world's more finer dining establishments.

Given your unsolicited attack of myself and the other fellow who defended my neutral opinion, and taking into account my observations of minimal tippers vs. generous tippers, I must therefore presume that you:

a.) Harbor frustrations against the rich, and therefore tip generously to make yourself feel like a "baller."

b.) Probably hold a job which prevents you from "truly" becoming as rich as you'd like to be, hence needing to over tip to make up for this feeling of inferiority.

c.) Undertravelled (worldly)

d.) Earn about $14/hour (baller)

e.) All of the above!
Actually none of the above. The answer is,

f.) Just a regular guy who's not a cheapass douchebag like you.

I've tipped 15% when I earned less than $14/hr, I still tip 15% now that I earn significantly more than $14/hr. I DON'T tip in places like Italy, Australia and SE Asia where they have built in service charges/pay their servers well. I DO tip in Canada and the United States where I know servers make at or below minimum wage.

p.s. how is an undertravelled person worldly? I assume you mean "unworldly". A presumption of which, if you spend any time reading my posts, is ludicrious.

p.p.s. how do you figure your pseudo-intellectual diatribes against me constitutes an "unsolicited attack"?

To reiterate,
achiam = cheapass douchebag who needs a dictionary.

http://www.amazon.ca/Paperback-Oxfor...9566311&sr=8-1
Although, are you sure you can part with your $16?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 04-12-2009 at 12:00 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #38
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

usually find myself tipping hot dog vendors and small family establishments more than anywhere else, usually feels like they deserve/need it more

edit: civic blues proves he's gay once again
If you think the amount of sausages you eat every day is going to impress me. Think again.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

CB is so cool, i aspire to be like him, i should quit my job and work at retail and start over tipping too
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #40
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Q: Do you guys tip BEFORE tax or AFTER tax?

because if you tip 10% AFTER tax, it works out to roughly 15% BEFORE tax.
b-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #41
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

I've tipped 15% when I earned less than $14/hr, I still tip 15% now that I earn significantly more than $14/hr. I DON'T tip in places like Italy, Australia and SE Asia where they have built in service charges/pay their servers well. I DO tip in Canada and the United States where I know servers make at or below minimum wage.

p.s. how is an undertravelled person worldly? I assume you mean "unworldly". A presumption of which, if you spend any time reading my posts, is ludicrious.

p.p.s. how do you figure your pseudo-intellectual diatribes against me constitutes an "unsolicited attack"?

To reiterate,

Dude, achiam was making fun when he put words in brackets which is clearly evidenced by his second bracketed comment "(baller)" next to $14/hour. Your little attack on him and the link to the dictionary is indicative of your own stupidity, not his.

You pick up on the dumbest shit to criticize people..... there were certainly other comments you could have focused on if you really wanted to argue successfully.

As for tipping -- consider it as part of the waiters wage. It gives you some discretion on how much your meal should cost. The wages could be increased and tipping abolished, but then you couldn't do anything but complain if the service is shit.
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #42

Quote:

To reiterate,

Hey you know what?
Go fuck yourself! I'd never looked at your posts, but having viewed them, you're constantly full of aggravation and annoyance!
Its clear you're an insecure person in real life trying to lip off everyone on RS and God knows what other forums you're on.
But you know what? To quote the signature of someone else on this board:
"Arguing with someone on-line is like being in the Special Olympics."

I don't care who you are or what you do or if you're rich (which I truly doubt) or poor.
One thing is certain from your posts.
You're a fucking dick!

Last edited by achiam; 04-13-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #43
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

It is disturbing to see intolerance against someone's ideology with tipping. There is really no need to start calling somebody a douchebag for not thinking the same way as you do. Intolerance is the 1st step of terrorism or hatecrime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dub View Post
Q: Do you guys tip BEFORE tax or AFTER tax?

because if you tip 10% AFTER tax, it works out to roughly 15% BEFORE tax.
I tip before tax. People usually use the double or triple GST rule of thumb.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #44
VLS Head Mod

k guys please quit the arguing and keep on the topic, thanks
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #45
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
I tip 10% max, anywhere I go in the world.
I do so not because I'm cheap, but because expecting a bonus for a job undermines the meritocratic system of a free market.

I worked at The Keg during High School/early University and fell into the typical restaurant mentality of expecting tips for extra effort.

I later worked on the organ transplant team and took organs out of dying/deceased organ donors, which directly saved lives and/or brought sight to the blind.

For this I was not tipped, and for this reason I abhor the practice of tipping.
The list of course, could go on.
Fire fighters are not tipped for saving families.
Policemen are not tipped for bringing a hostage situation under control.

I am well aware that tipping is a social expectation, but to follow everyone else blindly would be like jumping off a bridge - cheapass or not.
10% max for me as well. Its not about being cheap.

And to everyone saying that the servers "depend" on those tips. Maybe they shouldnt "depend" on them or get another job cuz getting tips shouldnt be the reason why they are working in that field. Tips is the same as commission, you should be lucky to get it and if you dont then too bad.

Last edited by hotjoint; 04-13-2009 at 07:28 AM.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

i tip depending on the service, but i have been told i've been a little too generous

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #47
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Hey you know what?
Go fuck yourself! I'd never looked at your posts, but having viewed them, you're constantly full of aggravation and annoyance!
Its clear you're an insecure person in real life trying to lip off everyone on RS and God knows what other forums you're on.
But you know what? To quote the signature of someone else on this board:
"Arguing with someone on-line is like being in the Special Olympics."

I don't care who you are or what you do or if you're rich (which I truly doubt) or poor.
One thing is certain from your posts.
You're a fucking dick!
Actually YOU started the argument with ME. But thanks for the laughs cheapass.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #48
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentelephone View Post
Dude, achiam was making fun when he put words in brackets which is clearly evidenced by his second bracketed comment "(baller)" next to $14/hour. Your little attack on him and the link to the dictionary is indicative of your own stupidity, not his.

You pick up on the dumbest shit to criticize people..... there were certainly other comments you could have focused on if you really wanted to argue successfully.
Then by all means, provide your input!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Actually YOU started the argument with ME. But thanks for the laughs cheapass.
Sorry, you started it by commenting on my post and calling me a cheap-ass.
I do not wish to waste further efforts to defend myself by arguing with you, and hope you are more tolerant of other's opinions in real life.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #50
linguistic ninja

umm start at the beginning of this thread, I posted first, then you started it by picking a fight with me.

Quote:
...hope you are more tolerant of other's opinions in real life.
My opinion: You're a cheapass

Now start practicing what you preach!

Last edited by CivicBlues; 04-13-2009 at 02:41 PM.