REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #51
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
quasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cloverdale
Posts: 10,231
Thanked 2,279 Times in 827 Posts
15-20% after tax is pretty standard, minmum $5. If the service was really really bad (to the point where I left feeling pissed off) I'd just round up to the nearest $5 Increment. so if it was $33 I'd round to $35 and they'd only get a couple bucks, fuck em.
Advertisement
__________________



“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #52
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
hirevtuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,179
Thanked 178 Times in 77 Posts
i would say a couple bucks for bad service is being very generous
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #53
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
beetea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 808
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
always tipped after tax. 10% pretty standard for me.
but have left exact amount in change at a boston pizza.

but really, you tip more good for you, you tip less good for you.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #54
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,091
Thanked 206 Times in 97 Posts
For those people who say that serving tables is easy they need to open their eyes and take their heads out of their ass.

I would also say that they have probably never dined anywhere good enough to appreciate the difference from an ok server to a great server. Get out of Sammy Js and Cactus and try a real restaurant.
__________________
Probably because he tells it like it is and knows hockey better than you two dipshits? People respect his opinions, not like you two dipshits? He has a solid income, not like you two dipshits?
scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #55
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Gnomes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,311
Thanked 609 Times in 187 Posts
Main purpose of dining out is to eat food, not to appreciate the servers. I would much rather pay more for excellent food with an ok server rather than ok food with excellent server. But i know not everyone feels the same way as I do.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #56
Banned (BBM)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,146
Thanked 627 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Main purpose of dining out is to eat food, not to appreciate the servers. I would much rather pay more for excellent food with an ok server rather than ok food with excellent server. But i know not everyone feels the same way as I do.
+ 1 on this one.

I went out to eat, not to get served like a king. If i want to be served like a king i would hire a maid or a bitch.

AS long as my food comes out delicious and made from poin A to point B, i really dont give a flying fuck
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #57
How I Mod your mother
 
!Yaminashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 13,672
Thanked 968 Times in 474 Posts
Totally depends on the service, if its bad, I'll tip 10%.
If its good, I'll tip 15%. Its sad that some waitors/waitresses think that a tip is mandatory.

THEY HAVE TO WORK FOR IT. Why should I be giving them my hard earned money if they provided shitty service?
__________________
Quote:
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #58
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,510
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
My tip for average service is 10-15%.

I've given up to 30% a couple times when the service was absolutely outstanding, and I've given nothing for terrible service. If the service is bad, why tip anything at all? Doesn't that mean you're still rewarding bad service?
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #59
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 370
Thanked 76 Times in 37 Posts
It's true that tips aren't mandatory. But speaking from the POV as a server, it is not a job that anyone can do WELL. I have to say that I'm a good server, always friendly and smiling even when I'm pissed off. I apologize for things that aren't my fault, make good recommendations and I'm efficient and speedy. I don't mind if people tip 10%, which happens from time to time (most of the time I get 15 - 20%), but it really annoys me when people don't tip at all! What most people don't realize is that servers have to pay a certain % of their bills to the kitchen and restaurant. Why should good servers have to take money out of their own pockets to serve you?

If you feel like the service is shitty, fine. Don't tip. But if you feel like you don't want to tip because you feel that the restaurants should be paying their servers more, I think you're just making an excuse to be cheap. It's not going to change just because YOU don't tip.

Also, for the people who get all annoyed and angry when there's a % tip charged onto the bill for large parties: The reason for this is that when large parties dine out, many people leave early, or "forget" to add on their tax/tip and servers end up being shorted on their tip.

P.S. It's not your server's fault if the food tastes like ass.
__________________
<3
November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 5,138
Thanked 2,215 Times in 509 Posts
how do you tip a pizza delivery guy? do you tip at all?
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #61
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
What most people don't realize is that servers have to pay a certain % of their bills to the kitchen and restaurant. Why should good servers have to take money out of their own pockets to serve you?
I think you're wording your argument to twist the bias to your benefit.

You don't HAVE to pay the kitchen anything, If I'm correct. From what i recall from restaurants, it's servers and kitchen staff pool all the tips together and everything is appropriated from that.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #62
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
q0192837465's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,762
Thanked 375 Times in 181 Posts
The MAXIMUM i tip is 10% to the amount before tax. NO EXCEPTIONS!
__________________
Ignorance is bliss

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #63
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,510
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I think you're wording your argument to twist the bias to your benefit.

You don't HAVE to pay the kitchen anything, If I'm correct. From what i recall from restaurants, it's servers and kitchen staff pool all the tips together and everything is appropriated from that.
Yes.

It would be ILLEGAL for the restaurant to dock a server's base wage for anything. So no, they should not be paying anything "out of their own pocket".
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #64
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Gnomes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,311
Thanked 609 Times in 187 Posts
What is that % that gets sent to the kitchen - for those establishments that uses that practice?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #65
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,803
Thanked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
What is that % that gets sent to the kitchen - for those establishments that uses that practice?
It varies from 1% - 2% of the servers revenue, so I'm told.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #66
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,803
Thanked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yes.

It would be ILLEGAL for the restaurant to dock a server's base wage for anything. So no, they should not be paying anything "out of their own pocket".
False.

Servers deal with money completely by themselves. They serve as their own til. As such, they are the only ones who have access to that money. If during cash out time they are short, the restaurant will dock the money from their pay cheque.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #67
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 370
Thanked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
False.

Servers deal with money completely by themselves. They serve as their own til. As such, they are the only ones who have access to that money. If during cash out time they are short, the restaurant will dock the money from their pay cheque.
Exactly. (At least at most white restaurants).

I personally have never had to literally take money out of my wallet to tip out. However, every time that someone does not tip, I am having to cover that amount with the tips that I earned from another table.

I'm not trying to argue that all servers deserve to be tipped. I just think that servers who give good service shouldn't have to pay to serve. It's not always a pleasant job.
__________________
<3
November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #68
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 370
Thanked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
It varies from 1% - 2% of the servers revenue, so I'm told.
I believe it goes anywhere from 2 - 6% ish.
__________________
<3
November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #69
2013, 2016 & 2017 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion
 
HonestTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,267
Thanked 938 Times in 421 Posts
I tip 10% mostly, unless the service is REALLY bad then I leave whatever change I got(usually a lot less then 10%)

If the service is really good then 12-15% at most, but 10% is the norm or at least for me lol
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #70
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,803
Thanked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
Exactly. (At least at most white restaurants).
Not exactly.

Tipping out to kitchen staff and busers is not mandatory, according to the law. However, I'd assume that a restaurant which runs such a policy will probably stop giving you shifts if you didn't.

Not to mention, the kitchen staff will probably not be as quick with your orders.

And then you get people labeling you as a cheap ass when you tipped out but less than what is considered customary for your restaurant (or in some cases, if you had a good day)
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #71
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,510
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
False.

Servers deal with money completely by themselves. They serve as their own til. As such, they are the only ones who have access to that money. If during cash out time they are short, the restaurant will dock the money from their pay cheque.
When I worked for Canadian Tire way back when, all the cashiers held their own floats. At the end of the day, they NEVER had their pay deducted if they were short at the end of the day.

Sounds like someone needs to show those restaurants the Employment Standards act:

Deductions
21 (1) Except as permitted or required by this Act or any other enactment of British Columbia or Canada, an employer must not, directly or indirectly, withhold, deduct or require payment of all or part of an employee's wages for any purpose.

(2) An employer must not require an employee to pay any of the employer's business costs except as permitted by the regulations.

__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #72
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 370
Thanked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Like I said, I've never had wages actually docked from my paycheque. However, money from my tip pool are being docked everytime that someone leaves without a tip.

How can that not be considered money out of my pocket? It's hard earned cash and I have to pay out a portion of it just because someone else didn't tip.

Tipping out may not be mandatory by law, but, yes, as misteranswer said. It pretty much is.
__________________
<3
November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #73
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,510
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
Like I said, I've never had wages actually docked from my paycheque. However, money from my tip pool are being docked everytime that someone leaves without a tip.

How can that not be considered money out of my pocket?
I was not referring to tip pool. I was referring to paycheque. Misteranswer stated that a restaurant may dock an employee's paycheque for money that is "short", when Legally they cannot do this.

I called False on his false.

Tip pools are completely different. They are set up by agreements between staff & ownership, usually explained at start of employment. Some restaurants do not have tip pools. Either way, they cannot impact base wage.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #74
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
Like I said, I've never had wages actually docked from my paycheque. However, money from my tip pool are being docked everytime that someone leaves without a tip.

How can that not be considered money out of my pocket? It's hard earned cash and I have to pay out a portion of it just because someone else didn't tip.

Tipping out may not be mandatory by law, but, yes, as misteranswer said. It pretty much is.
So basically you're saying: The kitchen should not be entitled to a portion of your tip as it will reduce your overall gain?

Haha.

Though not exactly enforceable by law, but I'd bet the custom of sharing portions with the kitchen was primarly borne out of courtesy. You know... Kinda like the custom of tipping.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #75
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 370
Thanked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
So basically you're saying: The kitchen should not be entitled to a portion of your tip as it will reduce your overall gain?

Haha.

Though not exactly enforceable by law, but I'd bet the custom of sharing portions with the kitchen was primarly borne out of courtesy. You know... Kinda like the custom of tipping.
That is far from what I meant. I don't mind tipping out to the kitchen. In fact, I often tip them more than I am required to because I'm thankful that they're making my job easier. So, no.

The kitchen deserves the tip. I just don't feel like I deserve to have my cash taken away from me to serve a customer.

Edit: It's never a large amount, mind you, but it's the principal of the matter.
__________________
<3
November is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net