REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Bad Encounters with Police officers

[VENT]

Im super fustrated right now, So today I went on and did my daily thing. I went to burnaby south to pick up my girlfriend afterschool. As I proceeded to park at the school a cop pulls up right beside me and gets out and asks me for my driver and registration. Im thinking well..fuck me what the fuck. He proceeds to grill me about my no N which got jacked this morning because I had it on last night.(but thats my word against his) he calls me a liar. Out of anger I start talking politely and I knew the best thing to do was shutup and listen. Than he said "what do you think you're a superstar or celebrity or something?"

He twisted everything I said into his own, I have never met such a conniving person.

Than he calls backup brings his friend cops over and asked to searched my car, I said No. And they proceeded to ask me 1000X questions about why not if Im hiding shit in my car.

Im so sick of stupid inconsiderate people like that watching over the streets.

oh and he gave me a few tickets also. Which im not that mad about but its the fact the way the act like he's hotshit.
Advertisement
SpoonFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

'are you going to detain me or am I free to go?'
dna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
you should have followed your own advice and just to shutup and listen. driving a car with a novice license without a N stuck to your car is already you at fault, whatever the reasons were. should have gotten another one asap before driving again.

talking back to a cop is almost asking for trouble, just a slippery slope from there on.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
ek1
Need to Seek Professional Help

as Barry Cooper said in "Never Get Busted" cops are trained that no matter what you say whether true or not they think you are lying because of all the people they have dealt with and the excuses they have heard. And when being asked to have your car searched you can legally say no but they sure are going to give you a hard time wondering why you wont let them search you if you have nothing to hide
Old 06-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonFit View Post
[VENT]

Im super fustrated right now, So today I went on and did my daily thing. I went to burnaby south to pick up my girlfriend afterschool. As I proceeded to park at the school a cop pulls up right beside me and gets out and asks me for my driver and registration. Im thinking well..fuck me what the fuck. He proceeds to grill me about my no N which got jacked this morning because I had it on last night.(but thats my word against his) he calls me a liar. Out of anger I start talking politely and I knew the best thing to do was shutup and listen. Than he said "what do you think you're a superstar or celebrity or something?"

He twisted everything I said into his own, I have never met such a conniving person.

Than he calls backup brings his friend cops over and asked to searched my car, I said No. And they proceeded to ask me 1000X questions about why not if Im hiding shit in my car.

oh and he gave me a few tickets also. Which im not that mad about but its the fact the way the act like he's hotshit.
Lol, I assume you're still going to school or have just graduated. Anyways, when it comes to situations like these, there are so many ways you can own the cops.

First the N sign... you can just go straight to the point and have him give you your ticket, because hassling a cop will not dispute your ticket. Just say "just give me the ticket, cause it's the judge i have to deal with, not you."

The searching part is probably because there was a 911 call or something around the neighborhood and your car happened to match the description.

This happened to me last winter in the snow... I kept on hassling saying I don't have anything in my car. They will turn your words on you, trying to scare you to see if you're actually scared. If you defend yourself probably, it'll tell the cop that you have nothing in your car.

Anyways, the cop that search me knew he had nothing on me and barely searched my car. He went through my backseat, glove, and trunk and that was it... didn't search the side of my door and under the seat. And you can see the "OMG what a waste of time" face on his back ups face. The temperature was in the minus at the time.

First thing to remember when dealing with police is, know your rights and if you're really clean, don't be afraid to let him search. But don't let it go easy and let them have it their way. Play around with them, tell them they have no right to search, and then go "ok ok, fine, you're not gonna find anything anyways". You'll see how embarass they get.

But anything you do, don't violate any more than you did and don't do anything that goes against their procedure. For example, if you tell you to turn your engine off, turn it off. Before you step out of the car, ask them what the problem is and stuff, like what you're being arrested for.

Last edited by mr_chin; 06-12-2009 at 04:25 PM.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

hurting situation, cop probably having a bad day
really... no N sign? big deal.. ive had cops ticket for 2 many passengers, but and never say a word about the no N sign. ( i rarely have it on )
ToneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Yup, one thing I've learned over the years is never talk back to a cop or give them attitude.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonFit View Post
[VENT]

it's pretty obvious he called you a liar because you said your N was stolen in the morning... BUT you didn't take the time to go to ICBC or any ICBC broker to get another one. So it's clearly your fault... in situations like these, you should be as nice to the police officer as possible, and he may let you off. $118 is not a small amount. And you said you got a "few" tickets, so i'm guessing your tickets was over $200.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
About the N, of course he's going to think you're lieing. I bet approx 97.834% of new drivers who get pulled over without a N just happened to have it stolen that morning or the previous night. Right off he has you lieing (in his eyes) so of course he's going to give you the gears.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 06-12-2009 at 05:01 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
After I was arrested years ago I had the same arresting officer pull me over when my mother was in the car to ask me when my court date was.
Seriously. That was the reason he pulled me over. It had been about a week since I was arrested and I was obeying the speed limit, had my belt on, everything. He recognized me and decided he needed to make my day a little more awesome.

Small town bullshit.

It was awkward explaining to my mom that situation.

Fuck you, Courtenay RCMP
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
After I was arrested years ago I had the same arresting officer pull me over when my mother was in the car to ask me when my court date was.
Seriously. That was the reason he pulled me over. It had been about a week since I was arrested and I was obeying the speed limit, had my belt on, everything. He recognized me and decided he needed to make my day a little more awesome.

Small town bullshit.

It was awkward explaining to my mom that situation.

Fuck you, Courtenay RCMP
He probably forgot and wanted to make sure and didn't wanna go back to the office and check cause then he'd look like an idiot in front of his colleagues. You shoulda said some fake date.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
First thing to remember when dealing with police is, know your rights and if you're really clean, don't be afraid to let him search. But don't let it go easy and let them have it their way.
That is some horrendous advice.

Why the hell would you let a police officer who has no grounds to search your vehicle, do so ?

If something illegal was found and seized and you went to court, you can contest the search. The police officer has to prove to a judge, on reasonable grounds, why he had suspicions to search your car.

You might as well drop your pants and spread your cheeks with that line of thinking.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
if you really wanted to own him you should have exercised your legal right NOT to answer any questions un-related to the traffic stop and only answered basic legal questions like name, insurance and license info....

You're not legally obligated to answer any other questions other than those basic ones, so just remaining silent and NOT answering all the other bullshit questions he has for you can be more frustrating to an officer than bitching at him. A cop would definitely expect someone to bitch at them, but they probably aren't prepared for someone who is willing to exercise their legal rights to the fullest....

in case anyone wants to call bullshit on my post, feel free... but I tried it myself and it works.... read below

Few months ago I pulled that method on a cop, because he kept asking questions like "what I do for a living" and "how I paid for my car" etc.... questions that have no relevance for the front plate ticket he ended up giving me. He got so frustrated with me because I wouldn't play his bullshit game, he kept me on the side of the road for over an hour. So the wilder his questions got, the more I got under his skin by refusing to answer, towards the end I was toying with him sayin shit like "I plead the fifth on that question officer" he knew what it meant, but had the most confused look on his face, shit was deadly hilarious I wish I had a camera...

(and yes I do know that the fifth amendment is from the US constitution and it doesn't apply here, but that shit served some major shits and giggles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxE_oQBwrdU
Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

wow that sucks
i was stopped at a road block near spanish banks around 10 pm
when i rolled up all he asked was if i was drinking
i just said "no sir" and he let me go
i didnt have my N sign on my car and i look REALLY young
but he didnt even think of it twice
no cars were behind me so it wasnt a rush or anything
i think maybe that cop was having a bad day
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
That is some horrendous advice.

Why the hell would you let a police officer who has no grounds to search your vehicle, do so ?

If something illegal was found and seized and you went to court, you can contest the search. The police officer has to prove to a judge, on reasonable grounds, why he had suspicions to search your car.

You might as well drop your pants and spread your cheeks with that line of thinking.
If you 100% know there is nothing in your vehicle that can get you to court, why not? Either way, if you refuse to let the police officer search your car, they will search it anyways.

There is a very minimal chance that when you refuse to let an officer search your car, they will back down. A police officer don't search your car unless they have a good reason to. You think they like searching your car? First, they have to get back up, then they have to go through your car, then they have write a report explaining nothing is found, which makes them look like an idiot. Often reasons a police officer wants to search your car is because they suspect that you have something to do with an incident that happened nearby or whatever.

Even if they do find something illegal and went to court, you can fight it because it was an illegal search. Either way, they would of searched your car anyways. Last time a buddy of mine refused to get out of the car to let the officer search, they smashed his windshield and pulled him out.

There is always a reason why they want to search. They don't do it because they are assholes. There are much work to put in when they want to search your car. When you get a random pull over, it's either a neighbor's 911 call where you match the description or some kind of infraction. I can assure you that most of the police don't just pull a random car over and decide to give him a ticket, you think they decide to pull him over because he didn't have an N, and expect that he was a class 7?

If you 100% know you're innocent, argue with them for a bit and then let them search so they can find out for themself what an idiot they are. You alone arguing with a police officer means nothing, you're not a lawyer.

If you think this is a horrible advice, then do the opposite, go argue with a police officer about searching, see what happens. The more you resist, the more you're guilty.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Doesn't Burnaby South has a rule where you are not supposed to park in the school parking lot when waiting to pick someone up after school? That's could be the reason why the cop was pissed off at you.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

I've had a cop before, that told me (driving my parents rx350, legimiately.. was taking it to get an oil change) that "ooh, can't afford your own insurance?"

i asked him what kind of racial profiling that was, and his partner came over and told him to shut up.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
About the N, of course he's going to think you're lieing. I bet approx 97.834% of new drivers who get pulled over without a N just happened to have it stolen that morning or the previous night. Right off he has you lieing (in his eyes) so of course he's going to give you the gears.
99% of people I know who have an N

don't put it up, and have excuses ready. It's pretty dumb, but thank god i don't have that.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
If you 100% know there is nothing in your vehicle that can get you to court, why not? Either way, if you refuse to let the police officer search your car, they will search it anyways.

There is a very minimal chance that when you refuse to let an officer search your car, they will back down. A police officer don't search your car unless they have a good reason to. You think they like searching your car? First, they have to get back up, then they have to go through your car, then they have write a report explaining nothing is found, which makes them look like an idiot. Often reasons a police officer wants to search your car is because they suspect that you have something to do with an incident that happened nearby or whatever.

Even if they do find something illegal and went to court, you can fight it because it was an illegal search. Either way, they would of searched your car anyways. Last time a buddy of mine refused to get out of the car to let the officer search, they smashed his windshield and pulled him out.

There is always a reason why they want to search. They don't do it because they are assholes. There are much work to put in when they want to search your car. When you get a random pull over, it's either a neighbor's 911 call where you match the description or some kind of infraction. I can assure you that most of the police don't just pull a random car over and decide to give him a ticket, you think they decide to pull him over because he didn't have an N, and expect that he was a class 7?

If you 100% know you're innocent, argue with them for a bit and then let them search so they can find out for themself what an idiot they are. You alone arguing with a police officer means nothing, you're not a lawyer.

If you think this is a horrible advice, then do the opposite, go argue with a police officer about searching, see what happens. The more you resist, the more you're guilty.
do not let the police search your vehicle even if you have nothing to hide because

a) allowing police to search your car reinforces the mentality 'if they have nothing to hide, why not?'

b) it makes the police aware of their boundaries and they cannot initiate a search without reasonable cause.

the search is no longer illegal if you consent to it.
dna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
I am on the internets

ive never had that or any other rudeness or impoliteness happen to me. maybe because i dont drive a car with a fart can, lowered, tinted, fake CF hoods and type R and nowzz stickers everywhere.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
i've had a cop pull me over for having my car overpacked and not displaying my "N" sign. Fortunately they let me go with just a warning and told my friends to get out and to walk back where we came from which wasn't too far
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #22
Professional Lurker

Do these rights apply to border officers searching your car as well? Also, do i have a right to refuse to answer irrelevant questions when i cross the border? example: i keep my citizenship card and my passport together and the border officer hassled me by asking "does having your citizenship card and your passport together make you more of canadian?" then tells me not to keep it together.
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #23
I am on the internets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-R View Post
Do these rights apply to border officers searching your car as well? Also, do i have a right to refuse to answer irrelevant questions when i cross the border? example: i keep my citizenship card and my passport together and the border officer hassled me by asking "does having your citizenship card and your passport together make you more of canadian?" then tells me not to keep it together.
no, you surrender your right of search when crossing the border. there's a enormous sign when you enter a queue to any border lineups. all vehicles and persons may be subjected to mandatory search.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #24
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-R View Post
lol was this canadian side or USA side?

usually its the USA guys that are funny as hell and Canadian side that are true assholes

last time i went down to walmart at 12am the USA guy asked me why i wasnt playing mario at home
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #25
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

LOL

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
SupraMan604 is offline   Reply With Quote